[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mechs in the army

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

What sort of mech would you ever want to see in the army? What sort of role would you want to play in that mech?
>>
>>31948445
I wouldn't.

That would mean either I'm immortal or some country is retarded enough to try and field mechs in my lifetime.

Either way, both of those instances aren't desirable.
>>
File: MechProblems.jpg (241KB, 1200x901px) Image search: [Google]
MechProblems.jpg
241KB, 1200x901px
>>31948445
Just going to leave this here before the stupid gets out of hand, as it usually does in these threads.
>>
>>31948467
Why's that?
>>
>>31948476
>being immortal
>a good thing

>retarded countries
>predictable
>>
>>31948445
Mechs suck, tanks are better in almost every way imaginable.
>>
>>31948445
mechs are fucking stupid
>>
File: 1456038364950.jpg (30KB, 358x480px) Image search: [Google]
1456038364950.jpg
30KB, 358x480px
>>31948445
One that gives you sick gains.
>>
File: space-marine.jpg (727KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
space-marine.jpg
727KB, 1920x1200px
I think power armor similar to Space Marines from Star-Craft would be a better bet. More maneuverable. Less of a target.
>>
File: Timber Wolf.jpg (516KB, 1152x816px) Image search: [Google]
Timber Wolf.jpg
516KB, 1152x816px
meh
>>
>>31948445
I see "Mechs" used as more like a Bi-pedel gun platform. As a mix of Infantry support, fast reaction artillery/AA. Cause of the legs it can cross mountains much easier that a wheel/track vehicle.

Made of light weight metals it could even jump given enough attention to the suspension and hydraulics. Making it very effective in SF operations with the ability to bypass walls that are very common in 3rd world country's.
>>
>>
File: godLiZp.jpg (254KB, 1152x792px) Image search: [Google]
godLiZp.jpg
254KB, 1152x792px
The mechs in battlefield 2142 were pretty good being used primarily as an IFV.

https://youtu.be/Mk4wEAO07hM
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 346x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 346x426px
>>31948467
B-but anon they look keeeewwwwwlllll
>>
>>31948445
Fuck that shit, railguns on tanks when?
>>
>>31948445
Power armor

Either dug in fire support or shock troops for urban combat.
>>
>>31952477
Not soon enough, but that's a different thread.

Anyhow, a mech isn't going to replace a tank anytime soon. Infact, you'd probably use mechs for urban combat where a tank is at it's most vulnerable. As we've seen with medieval armors, legs can be very well armored and the weakpoint at the back of the knee can be protected by sidestepping into corners.

A mech with hands opens up battlefield engineering options. A mech could collapse anti-tank trenches or help construct pontoon bridges under fire. Nobody in their right mind would face down a tank in a mech simply because a tank is too well optimized for head to head fighting.
>>
>>31952429
The fuck is that contraption? Some Clan faggoty scout mech or something?
>>
>>31953044
It's actually from Halo...I'm gonna say 4. Really, unless it's got a windowed cockpit and more weapons than a tank platoon it's not BT,
>>
I could see ultralight spider mechs with a .223 machine gun being super useful.

>skitters up a skyscraper
>risk free breaching
>jumping from tree to tree innawoods

Scurry stuff.
>>
>>31948445
I was hoping to say something before faggots like >>31948467 showed up, but like all trolls he is the first to reply.

The only viable reason to use mechs are to carry or operate heavy things.

A few good ideas are mechs carrying artillery, or a giant container for anything.

Mechs are not viable at the moment because of current technology, and even after we develop the technology they maybe useless.
>>
>>31948473
You mean the stupid people that don't keep up with electrical/computer engineering tech companies like Boston Dynamics who have solved half of those issues.

That being said, if the USA tried to field mechs now I would be pissed off that my tax dollars were being thrown down the drain because the other half of those issues are going to make any mech project fail horrifically.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.