[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lightweight Sniper Rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: carlos_hathcock.jpg (82KB, 800x550px) Image search: [Google]
carlos_hathcock.jpg
82KB, 800x550px
I had a bit of a thought with all of this talk about election-related happenings.

If you really wanted a sustainable rebellion in the US, your best bet would be an insurgency practicing guerilla warfare. For this, you would really want to arm most of your combatants with marksman or sniper rifles.

What is there on the market that would qualify as an affordable, accurate, and lightweight sniper/marksman rifle? I was especially thinking something along the lines of a scout rifle, except without that retarded forward scope mount.
Thoughts?
>>
Bump, I'm going to try and get one at the gum show on the 19-20.
>>
>>31942470
have you been trained as a marksman

(putting a scope on a rife doesn't make you a sniper kido)
>>
>>31942562
Yes (well, I shoot High Power and shit), but that's irrelevant.

It's mostly just a thought experiment - "if SHTF what would be good to arm a trained militia with?"
>>
I'm on mobile. If the threads still here later I'll post my requirements and research.

What's your budget? What specifically are you looking for in the rifle? The base will certainly be a hunting rifle of some sort.
>>
>>31942470
Literally anything. A successful insurgency is going to make do or do without.

Better question: what's the best way to take full advantage of whatever assets you happen to have?

Can you turn grampaw's durr gun into a commie killer? Can you turn your .22 plinker into an assassin's tool?
>>
>>31942580
Hard to say on the budget. Cheaper = more rifles to arm men. Maybe sub $1k?

Basically, I was thinking a rifle optimized for "harassment" tactics. Take shot from well outside the effective range of your opponents' weapons, and then GTFO. So probably .308 and ideally sub-MoA, but still light enough to run around innawoods with.
>>
>>31942751
Because a rifle platoon doesn't have organic 7.62 belt fed weapons that can touch you out to 800-1000m....

God /k/ lives in some tactically devoid fantasy land.
>>
Depends on what distances you want to shoot at. Man-sized targets at High Power distances (600 yards max) should be pretty doable for the average person.

Any decent 3-9x, 4-16x, or 2-7x scope would be fine. Any decent bolt action in a common hunting cartridge would probably be fine.

I just went through setting up a bolt gun for targets and general non-hunting use myself and ended up with a 700 Police LTR in .223 with a Viper 6-24x50. But it really ended up being more of a precision trainer / overgrown copy of my CZ 452 Varmint than anything else.

I think a CZ 527 barreled for 6.5 Grendel would be essentially perfect as a general-purpose rifle, but now you have to deal with a cartridge that isn't a .243/.270/.308/.30-06.

A .243 is really attractive to me in this kind of a do-all rifle, but you want heavier bullets and twist rate starts to matter, etc.
>>
>>31942470
"light weight"Accuracy" dont typically go hand in hand. That said if youre a cheap fuck you can pick up an axis in .308 or 30-06 or something and shoot MOA all day when you find the right load.
>>
>>31943201
Mainly, I'm just going for a reasonable compromise.

By the way, what would be a good optic for this purpose? I'm a milsurpfag and know basically nothing about modern non-slavshit scopes.
>>
http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts?

This with a 16" barrel would do fine for urban insurgency, that being said, good luck in a standing fight.

> Not doing more harm by reporting troop movement to the anti regime local group.

Honestly if you want to understand how to defeat or hinder the US, study our current conflicts and observe what is working, and what we've had to change to counter the current "insurgent" movements.

Vietnam "pick off the officers" does isn't as feasible as it was 10 years ago.
>>
>>31943450
What are your mission requirements?

Do you need no tool adjustments?
High mag?
Log mag?
Low light shooting?
Range finding?
Are your going to throw the gun around?(yes)
etc etc.
>>
>>31943201
I absolutely love the shit out of my 30-06 Axis. Super light weight and I have legitimately never had such an accurate rifle. The only downside is that the kick is by far the worst I've personally shot, just due to how absurdly light the gun is. Sorry, just had to shill for a moment.
>>
>>31944405
>Honestly if you want to understand how to defeat or hinder the US, study our current conflicts and observe what is working, and what we've had to change to counter the current "insurgent" movements.
>Vietnam "pick off the officers" does isn't as feasible as it was 10 years ago.
I mostly just came up with that for the sake of argument. An actual insurgency is obviously going to be far more complex, though such snipers would certainly have utility regarding morale and whatnot.
Not that any of it matters too much - if shit goes that far south in the US, I'll have noped the fuck out long beforehand.
>>31944430
Probably 4x to 6x, with as high an FoV and objective as is practical. Rangefinding would be nice and durability is paramount. And again, not something obscenely expensive, even though something like a 6x48 ACOG would probably work well otherwise.
>>
>>31944749
The issue I have with Urban marksmenship or even country side marksmenship is FLIR, Civi's have little to no way to deter this threat and anyone worth shooting is behind walls 9/10 chances.

On glass quality for that, SWFA comes to mind with a fixed 6x mil , it's not the most expensive optic, but works very well.
>>
For an insurgency you need to look at a few factors.
1. Who is trying yo kill you?
2. What weapons are they using.
3. Where are you operating.

1. Tailor your battle rifle to the ammunition to your aggressors. The first thing a foreign body will do it take the guns and blow up the gun reserves so you will run out of 300blk real quick if the chinese invade.

2. Even if you have a sick custom made gun in 7.62x39 or x54r it will eventually fail. You need to be able to salvage parts from other guns to repair yours.

3. If you are in appalachia that means hills and sightlines generally less than 300 yards. For this you need something semi auto and hard hitting. Ar10, m1a. Etc.
Great plains.- long range engagements with minimal cover. Large cal gun like 338 lpm.
Urban- honeatly i dont know much about this one because i dont live in a city. But explosives are your friend here. Ak pattern gun here.

Bolt guns i recommend- tikka t3. Winchester mod 70. Savage rifles. Missberg mvp because of mag choices.

What you want in a good sniper rifle is repeatability. You want to know even though your barrel is hot the round is going to the crosshairs regardless. So heavy barrel, glass bedded stock, light crisp trigger around 3 lbs. Good glass maybe a vortex crossfire.

God speed anon
>>
File: VSS.jpg (256KB, 1956x966px) Image search: [Google]
VSS.jpg
256KB, 1956x966px
this tbH
>>
Google "Guerilla Sniper". Someone made up a Savage .243 with a folding stock that'd fit in a tennis racket bag. I bet used hunting rifles a diamond dozen at pawn shops. Probably good enough accuracy right there. Think DC Snipers.
>>
>>31943201
>"light weight"Accuracy" dont typically go hand in hand
>literally what is a scout rifle

This entire thread needs to actually type in google "scout rifle"
>>
File: a-look-of-disgust.jpg (20KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
a-look-of-disgust.jpg
20KB, 400x267px
>>31950036

>a diamond dozen
>>
>>31950036
>hey guys just walking down the road going to play tennis during a civil war
>>
>>31950385
How new are you to the internet?
>>
>>31942924
>Because a rifle platoon doesn't have organic 7.62 belt fed weapons that can touch you out to 800-1000m....
>God /k/ lives in some tactically devoid fantasy land.

idiot. the whole point is to take 1 shot then leave.
shoot and scoot

dont wait around for retaliation
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.