[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WW1 Trench Gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_4613.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4613.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Alright /k/ I got quite a bit of questions and I think this is the best board for them. My dad gave me an old foot locker of my great-grandfathers stuff to go through because he knew I liked historic stuff. The locker was mostly antique business papers and spoons, but I did stumble on something you might like. In what appears to be an old rifle case was a disassembled trench gun. I think it is a trench gun, but I don't know much about WW1 weapons. Some background on my great-grandfather is he was a trainer pilot for the US during WW1 and he was considered too old to fly combat until a few weeks before the war ended when he was finally to deployed. He was then put on hold since the war was ending and there was no point to having more pilots.

Now to the gun itself my dad didn't know anything about. What's odd is a lot of the WW1 original trench guns is they are pictured with a heat sink and/or a bayonet while the one I have has neither. I still think it was at least produced pre-WW1 because of the markings on the barrel. The weapon also has a special flip-up sight. So now time for the questions.

Is this trench gun, and if not what is it? Was it common for pilots to have a gun like this? What's it worth? (not planning on selling it, just curious for bragging rights) How uncommon is a gun like this? What else should I know about this gun? Finally, would it be possible to still fire/use this gun and what ammo would I have to buy to find out? Keep in mind I'm no-guns currently(sticky living situation) and my gun knowledge is somewhat limited.
>>
File: IMG_4614.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4614.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Gonna bump with more pics. Also its currently in the locker under a lot of other boxes I have to go through so I won't be able to get it out until tomorrow for further inspection.
>>
>>31941887
that is a 22 not a trench gun or even a shotgun
those are fun though
>>
File: IMG_4618.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4618.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Also I time stamped it just for any doubters.
>>
>>31941887
That appears to be a .22 pump rifle. Supposedly they are really durable and good so hang on to it. Can we get a pic of any markings on it?
>>
>>31941906
Not surprised I'm wrong. Any specific .22 model it is?
>>
That is a civilian gun. Appears to be a pump action 22

Youre a fucking retard
>>
>>31941925
should be marked on it somewhere
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1890
>>
>>31941916
>>31941900
>>31941911
>>31941887
Keep it, don't sell don't modify. That's a civilian rifle but it's not unlikely he had it in Europe. He would not have fought with it but may have used it as a plinker
>>
1906 Takedown
>>
>>31941887
If it's the picture you posted, that's a Winchester 1906. In some form of .22 (short, long, long rifle)
Not used in ww1 and just a fun plinker.
Not sure of the value but best guess would be $400-750
>>
It's a Winchester 1890 Pump action .22 rifle.
>>
File: Winchester_1897.jpg (9KB, 598x116px) Image search: [Google]
Winchester_1897.jpg
9KB, 598x116px
>>31941906
>>31941916
>>31941939
OP was confused because it vaguely resembles the 1897. While this is a stupid and easily avoided mistake, OP, in his haste, posted without thinking.

OP, please do some research before posting again. I know you're an excited noguns, but we do not have time for such inane posts here. Next time, try googling the markings on the gun in question and learning things from books.

Have a nice day.
>>
>>31941887
Can't find photo but there is one of a German ace in a book from the 70s at my house with him plinking with the same model of rifle. Hang on to it they are bretty fun
>>
>>31941947
Nope, flat buttplate its a 1906

Easiest way to tell the difference between the two (1890 has curved)
>>
>>31941982

You're a smart cookie.
>>
>>31941982
octagonal barrel makes it a 1890
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.