[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living on a budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: LRLAP.jpg (203KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
LRLAP.jpg
203KB, 600x400px
>Save up to buy big caliber gun
>Can't shoot it because ammo's too costly

It's not just you.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-navy-cant-fire-its-awesome-new-gun-because-the-rounds-cost-nearly-dollar1-million-each/ar-AAk0XQS?li=BBnbfcL
>>
File: 094226kk5tqrlttjnxxn4g.jpg (172KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
094226kk5tqrlttjnxxn4g.jpg
172KB, 1000x562px
>>31937613
Kek

maybe they should buy Chinese.
>>
>>31937613
I don't understand why you would make that.
It's like a missile and conventional round bastard hybrid that does neither job properly.
>>
>>31939245
My word.

Its more expensive than a rocket, less accurate than a rocket, carries less explosive than a rocket....

If the us were at war, somebody would "dissapear" for that
>>
>>31939245
It was supposed to be a cheaper missile alternative.
>>
The cost of devoping a prototype ship or plane is an order of magnitude higher than mass production costs.

There is no logical reason why those shells should cost that much. One anon posted a picture of the price breakdown.

http://i.4cdn.org/k/1478569898839.jpg

>$20,000 for the propellant

That is batshit insane. Downright unreasonable.
>>
>>31937613
it's actually a damn fine idea
dunno how the burgers fucked it up most of the weight and volume on a missile is the initial booster motor that's only alive for seconds tops. put it in a cannon and that's gone.
>>
>>31941004

I don't either.

The prices are ridiculous.

$200 per pound of propellant???

What the hell is this baloney.
>>
>>31940966
because they aren't prototyped cannon shells that need to recoup development costs too?
>>
>>31941039
it's probably how my firm sells enviro monitoring stuff.
initial order was for 50 units or so so dev costs were divided to unit number.
we sold over 200 by now at extortionate price because the initial order was so low. make huge profit on every piece. if they had ordered 500 it would cost fraction of the price.
>>
>>31941132

Can I into government contracts so I can get paid $1000 for $100 of product???

I'm poor as fuck and everyone else gets to make a fortune by fucking people over.
>>
>>31941166
well our profit margin was only $500 for $80 but yeah it's not bad. the thing is it wasn't even intentional the customer was stupid and it turned out this way. they should have ordered all they need and a few spares initially and not 2-5 additionally every month.

economy of scale is not even the real factor. r&d costs are huge at low production series.
>>
>>31940966
$400-500k each for a limited run of what are functionally missiles is pretty good.
>>
>>31941039
>$200 per pound of propellant???
>talking out my ass
>>
Zumwalts have half the crew requirement of Burkes.

Just saying.
>>
>>31943017

Look at the link I posted in >>31940966

The propellant cost per unit says "$20,000" and 155mm LRLAP uses 100 pounds of propellant. That works out to $200 per pound.

SO YES, US TAXPAYERS ARE GETTING SEVERELY FUCKED AND IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.

How the fuck is that a reasonable price?
>>
>>31944210
>155mm LRLAP uses 100 pounds of propellant

[citation needed]
>>
>>31944336

>much citation meme

Google it fggt.

$20,000.
>>
>>31944428
So you don't have a citation.
>>
>>31944812

Ok, so how much propellant dok you think it uses??

I've provided a source that says it's $20,000 worth of propellant.

That much is established.

The only thing you're debating is the quantity of propellant.

How much do you think it weighs? Even if you think it's actually 200 pounds, it is still $100 per pound which is still insanely overpriced for the material.

And I lost my source, I literally searched "155mm LRLAP propellant weight" or something and pulled the info from a defense website.
>>
>>31939231
Impressive

Truly a symbol of Chinese Research and Development. It is the best of its kind and has no analogue anywhere else in the world. I hope America will not copy it and respect Chinese Intellectual Property Rights.
>>
>>31945002
>I was talking out my ass and now have to damage control
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.