[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help, i live in California

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 15

File: TA-AR15-BLACK_1.jpg (18KB, 555x370px) Image search: [Google]
TA-AR15-BLACK_1.jpg
18KB, 555x370px
Califag here. I'm thinking on ordering an AR-15 lower before they get more banned/restricted. I however don't know how to do this, could someone explain how to do this legally and what to choose? I'm going for a polymer lower (not 80%) for weight reduction. Hold me /k/
>>
>>31932895
A polymer lower? Really? Get yourself a real man's lower and learn how to google, the information you want is literally a search away.
>>
>>31932895
>I'm going for a polymer lower (not 80%) for weight reduction.
yes buy something that will break and will be hard to replace later on for minimal weight savings
good plan
>>
>>31932895
try cal guns.
>>
>>31932977
I'm having trouble looking for the truth, one site says it's banned and another is about how one guy is building his, and I heard polymer lowers don't brake anyways? I'm a minor too so that helps. Also nogunz. Rip.
>>
>>31932980
So aluminum? Are there no quality polymer ones, thick I mean.
>>
>>31933033
cavarms but your going to look at it and be like nope
>>
>>31933009
http://www.ar-15lowerpartskit.com/blog/california-compliant-ar15-what-you-need-to-know/

Start from here.

I suggest moving out of Cali as soon as you can if you like guns.
>>
>>31933072
Don't worry i don't plan on staying, even if the weather is nice its pretty weird. At my school we get so many feminists, emos, and faggots. My sister's boyfriend is from North Carolina, hasgunz, and is in the military atm. He's my role model desu
>>
I did this. http://ar15mold.com. Didn't have a chance to test fire but it seems function fine.
>>
>>31932895

DO NOT GET A POLY LOWER.

Buy a metal one. And you must do it before 12/31/16 because they will be illegal to buy after that date in California.
>>
File: 20161104_132449.jpg (2MB, 2220x1168px) Image search: [Google]
20161104_132449.jpg
2MB, 2220x1168px
>>31932895
Don't get a polymer lower. Look up InRangeTV's experience with them.

Are you 21?
>Yes: Good
>No: You aren't getting a stripped lower.

Is this your first gun? You'll need a California Firearm safety Certificate. They cost $25 and if you know how to properly manipulate guns, you'll easily be able to do it.

If you already have your FSC, find a LGS with stripped lowers and buy it like any other gun.

By no means are stripped lowers illegal to purchase. I literally bought one last month.
Pic related: the current state of my once stripped lower.
>>
Buy a real aluminum one. The polymer isn't much cheaper and while they are decent, they will never be as good as aluminum. This needs to last a life time in cuckifornia.

Also buy an 80% or three with a jig. You won't regret it.
>>
>>31934074
Correction: You need to buy on or before before 12/21/16, because of the 10 day wait.

But can you please show me the law that will make stripped lowers illegal? I know 80% lowers will need to be registered, but I have heard nothing about basic bitch lowers.
>>
Never Ever Buy Polymer Lowers
>>
>>31932895
buy an 7075 aluminum 80% lower, if you can't use the easy jig you don't deserve a gun.
>>
File: WIN_20161107_19_23_17_Pro.jpg (335KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20161107_19_23_17_Pro.jpg
335KB, 1920x1080px
stripped cav-15 for 99 but the fees and taxes almost doubled that
>>
>>31934097
that backwards flag always bugs the fuck out of me
>>
>>31934282
its oriented correctly if you consider the front of the rifle as forward
>>
>>31932895

Hey, fellow Califag. I just got my first AR and then a second lower after being noguns all my life. It was really easy! Here's what you do:

1) Buy gun on Gunbroker
2) Walk into gun shop and ask them to be your FFL
3) Pay fee
4) Wait
5) Now you have a gun!

It's that simple.
>>
>>31934282
I guess it's supposed to symbolize the flag blowing in the wind as you go forward
>>
>>31934331
bone up on the california firearms safety cert before you do anything just so you don't spaghetti all over the counter.
>>
>>31934426

I walked in and took it cold turkey. Only missed two. It's impossible to fail unless you're fucking dumb.
>>
>>31934339
That's exactly what it means.

>>31934460
Dumb people can own guns too, m8.
>>
>>31934133
They won't be illegal, they just won't be able to use a detachable magazine. (Not even with a bullet button
>>
>>31934460
I can attest to this.
>>
>>31934469
Yeah, but that goes for all AR-15's.
>>
>>31934483
not featureless :~)
>>
>>31934488
Yar, that be true.
>>
>>31932895
You waited way too long. Should've bought them back in July when the bills were signed. Have fun trying to find good lowers in stock for reasonable prices. Also don't buy polymer lower like what everyone has said already. Another good reason why you shouldn't buy polymer lowers is because if they break, your replacement lower is a new firearm and cannot be registered as an AW.
>>
I'm still debating if I want to register my AR as an AW or just make it featureless.
>>
>>31932895
Don't get a polymer lower, especially in California. This is your only AR-15 lower you are going to be able to get with a bullet button.

No one knows for sure what they are doing, but to be safe I would want to have my complete bullet-button rifle on had by the 12-31 cutoff. If you are no mechanical aptitude, no gun experience or poorly motivated neet, I would make sure to buy a complete gun. If you have high mechanical aptitude and are well motivated, then go ahead and buy it in parts and assemble.

Check your local gun store before jumping on gun broker, they might have a better deal sitting on the shelf.
>>
>>31934740
Why not neither?
>>
>>31934904
I am quite certain DOJ has kept their records of fire arm transactions for the last 10 years at least, so anyone that bought their guns recently are on a de-facto registry. If you don't, you better have found a nice deep lake to lose your guns in a boating accident.
>>
>>31934927
Yep.
>>
>>31934927
I'm just messing with you. I'd say featureless.
>>
>>31934904
LE does check public ranges from time to time, and people have been arrested. Unless you have access to a private range or rural land or don't plan to shoot the gun, it's not worth the risk. Also, if you live in a place that is prone to being searched by police (you have shitty roommates, you live in an apartment full of druggies), you might just get your place searched without warrant, and the search and the seized evidence would be valid because 4A has been kind of a joke since U.S v. Leon.
>>
>>31934958
Literally the first I've ever heard of cops checking ranges.
>>
>>31934972
They check ranges and all ammo purchases. A friend of my father thought his felony was expunged and they arrested him for ammo he bought for a friend 15 months prior.
>>
>>31935007
Good to know. I don't like to talk about this stuff though, it's depressing.

I just want OP to get his AR.
>>
>>31934972
Pretty common actually. Hell Burro Canyon in the azusa mountains has LEOs on their all the time. The fucking swat team practices up there so much, they converted a pair of private ranges to include a freaking shoothouse. I've been there when they're practicing with flashbangs and their giggle switches.

As >>31934958
said, if you don't have access to private land, you gotta play it safe.

>>31934740
I'd say go featureless amigo, when I lookd at the restrictions imposed for going AW, it's just not worth it.

-Can only drive to and from the range with no stopping inbetween
-Can't lend the rifle to anyone
-Can't pass it on to your family.
-Can't let anyone handle it at the range without you personally watching them. (I'd do this anyway but it's worded in there so go figure)
-Can''t ship your rifle in for work without having an FFL licensed in AWs to ship it for you.
-Have to keep your AW paperwork with you at all times while transporting it.

Just too damn much red tape to deal with that bullshit.
>>
>>31933009
Minor as in how young? Under 18?
>>
File: Image-1.jpg (454KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
Image-1.jpg
454KB, 1242x2208px
>>31935122
I guess I could pin my stock and just buy a muzzle brake and hammerhead temporarily until I can afford a frs-15 stock.
>>
File: IMG_0097.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0097.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>31935211
wrong picture.
>>
File: IMG_1968.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1968.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31935211
Yeah I'm going a similar route for my sig 516. Going to pin the Stock and just buy a Kydex Wrap since I already have a Linear Compensator on it. Then just remove the VFG and I'm good to go.

My concerns are with my other two rifles. I've got Magpul PRSs on them and no one has come out and said whether they should be legal or not. I mean they're technically "fixed" but they have adjustable features. Probably go with a kydex wrap on them as well.
>>
>>31935236
Those are fucking beautiful.
I'm trying to sell mine to my cousin for like $1150 and just buy an 80% and a really light upper.
>>
>>31935236
Your PRS should be fine. The law says "folding or telescoping stock."
>>
File: IMG_1724.jpg (549KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1724.jpg
549KB, 1632x1224px
>>31935254
Thanks my JP in the center is my pride and joy. Heavy as a pig (also the sig716 on the bottom too) but goddam they are just so comfy to shoot all day. I wish you luck on the sale man.
>>
>>31935265
But who knows how far they'll stretch the meaning of "telescoping."
>>
>>31935270
How much did you put into that? It's a fucking shame that you have to desecrate it with a retarded grip. Also do you have any recommendations on muzzle brakes?
>>
>>31935270
I handled the ultra light JPs and thought they were really light, and even regular JP-15s aren't heavier than your standard AR.
>>
File: linear comp.jpg (16KB, 546x342px) Image search: [Google]
linear comp.jpg
16KB, 546x342px
>>31935295
Quite a bit. I'd say about 2500 not counting the class. As for muzzle brakes, I've heard good things about the Surefires. Expensive, but very good performance. If you're looking for maximum recoil reduction, the JP Recoil eliminators supposedly are the best but they're ridiculously large and stick out like a sore thumb on anything but a bull stainless barrel. I use a Linear compensator myself on all my rifles since I primarily shoot at public ranges. They minimize sidewise muzzle blast and shoot it all downrange. You get a small increase in horizontal recoil into your shoulder, but otherwise, nothing else negative about them.

>>31935296
Aye, I didn't know about the lightwight stuff when I built mine so I went with like full mass everything (heavy stainless 22" bull barrel, barrel cooler, full mass bolt etc) plus that PRS stock adds like 3lbs on its own. I was mainly going for pure bench precision which it does well, I just wished I had researched about lighter options when I was building it I guess.
>>
>>31935288
On the AW Identification guide, collapsing stock is defined as "a stock which is shortened by allowing one section to telescope into another." The AW laws seem to be concerned with overall length of the weapon, so it would make sense that as long as the stock cannot be shortened, it should be considered fixed. If you really want to be safe, you can try making the adjustable portions fixed somehow. I just don't think it's necessary.
>>
>>31935354
>>31935265
That's good to hear! I really wanted to hold on to them given how much they cost, and plus they're comfy as all hell for bench purposes.
>>
>>31935340
I actually don't mind having a ridiculous looking muzzle device. I might actually grab one of those. Are they 100% not considered flash hiders?>>31935354
I personally would not test this.
>>
>>31935340
I've considered the barrel heatsink for a future JP build, but does it really help with anything? I'm also afraid of the heatsink affecting barrel harmonics.
>>
File: JP Thermal Diss.jpg (200KB, 1000x554px) Image search: [Google]
JP Thermal Diss.jpg
200KB, 1000x554px
>>31935369
Well on the JP product page for them, there's no wording on them "eliminating flash" so I think that would keep you safe.
https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

I personally couldn't see anyone arguing flash hiding capability with baffles that big. You should be ok.

>>31935372
It's main benefit is for rapid followup shots from what I've heard. It certainly makes a noticeable difference in radiated heat from personal experience at least. I've done some rapid fire tests with mine and I barely feel any residual heat coming from the handguard. Granted I can only do 10 rapid shots at a time, but at least from that the radiator seems to be doing well.

Plus, it just looks damn cool too.
>>
>>31934469
This is bullshit, the pistol grip isn't integrated into the receiver and there's plenty of ways to configure a stripped lower in such a way that it remains compliant.
>>
>>31935414
>>31935372
does the heatsink touch anything besides the barrel? If it doesn't I don't see why it would affect harmonics at all.
>>
File: JP Thermal Diss breakdown.jpg (87KB, 500x181px) Image search: [Google]
JP Thermal Diss breakdown.jpg
87KB, 500x181px
>>31935430
Just the barrel it looks like. I looked at mine and there appear to be multiple screws clamping the radiator to the barrel.

Ok looking at pic related, it looks like it's just clamping itself, no screws pressing into the barrel or anything.
>>
>>31934133

EXPLAINED IN PLAIN ENGLISH:

"You may not purchase a rifle (even a stripped lower) after January 1, 2017 that has any ASSAULT WEAPONS (AW) features AND a “removable magazine.” After January 1, 2017 you cannot buy a rifle with AW features from either a dealer or a private party. You must also register any “assault weapon” you own with the CAL DOJ BEFORE January 1, 2018. You are guilty of a felony if you do not register your weapon with CAL DOJ before this time or remove the AW features. Registration of an assault weapon will be done via a website and WILL require a fee of $20. You can only register weapons you owned prior to January 1, 2017 as taking possession of an “assault weapon” after this time is illegal."

>In other words, in about 7 weeks you will not be able to ever purchase AR-15s, AK-47s or any other assault weapons in California. California has outlawed them, except for the ones that get grandfathered in and registered with the state.
>>
>>31932895

buy it online and have it shipped to an ffl to do the paperwork ez.
>>
File: flagetiquette_patch.jpg (12KB, 266x213px) Image search: [Google]
flagetiquette_patch.jpg
12KB, 266x213px
>>31934282
The US flag goes forward and does not retreat. Hence the orientation, which is the same for vehicles and patches.
>>
>>31935581
Not him, but "stripped lower ... that has any ASSAULT WEAPONS (AW) features" mean just that. A stripped lower doesn't have a pistol grip or folding or telescoping stock. The only thing that has really changed with the new law is the definition of "fixed magazine," making current bullet buttons insufficient to meet the new definition. Guns with AW features have been banned for decades and nothing else in the law has changed. "Ban" is just a convenient shorthand that somehow led people to think that semi auto centerfire rifles will never be sold in CA again, but after this year, gun shops will still sell featureless semi autos.
>>
>>31935683
alternatively anyone who wears it backwards didn't serve when wearing a bikers jacket
>>
>>31935720
Explanation please (non burger here)
>>
>>31935204
Ye, noone in the family has guns except the uncle on the east coast. Ive had airshits but I guess this could be a family rifle if my mom wasn't a libtard
>>
>>31935769
My dude, you blew it. You must be 18 to post on this site.
>>
>>31934202
If you can't build the entire gun from scratch you don't deserve it.
>>
(You)
>>
>>31932895
Aluminum isnt that heavy. Dont buy polymer unless you get an 80 for a fun project
>>
File: featureless options.png (2MB, 712x1728px) Image search: [Google]
featureless options.png
2MB, 712x1728px
>>31935697
it'll be interesting to see what kind of featureless options we get come January. I'd imagine Monsterman, Hammerheads and Thordson Stocks are all going to see very brisk business.
>>
File: Hera stock full.jpg (285KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Hera stock full.jpg
285KB, 2000x1333px
>>31936545
Also another option is the Hera Arms CQR Stock. They're making a Cal compliant version that uses Carbine buffer tubes and should just slip right on. Looks freaking badass too. They're taking preorders for it in about 2-3 weeks as of October 30th.
>>
>>31936561
>Hera Arms CQR Stock

I was gonna get an MMG or Kydex Wrap, but this seems really cool for my 18" SPR style gun.
>>
>>31936568
Same, depending on the price, I may just replace my adjustable on my 516 and just do that instead.

Shame we can't get the unneutered version in Cali though. :( At least not without registering it as an AW
>>
File: Hera Stock Fullv2.jpg (283KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Hera Stock Fullv2.jpg
283KB, 2000x1333px
>>31936576
Fuck forgot to include the pic.
>>
>>31936576

I actually don't really mind registering. Like, what are they going to do? If there's word they're about to confiscate, I'll just convert it to a compliant configuration and deregister.
>>
>>31936582
>deregister
lol
have you read the terms of the old raws?
if you die the gun is to be destroyed or sold out of state. you cant pass it on to a kid
if you lend it to anyone both parties commit a felony
>>
>>31932895
If you're going that angle you need to buy it before Dec 21 and build it out as a bullet-buttoned AR-15 and register it as an AW prior to Jan 1 2018.

Otherwise it's all featureless AR-15s all the time, which aren't all bad but you lose the registered but CA legal normal AR-15 option. That's time-sensitive.

Also don't buy polymer. If it's going to be a keep-it-forever kind of thing you want the one registered part to last forever. After all the red tape the cost difference between plastic and aluminum is negligible, so go for aluminum.
>>31933033
None are as proven. The old Cav Arms design was pretty promising but it limits you to fixed full-length stocks only and that company got shut down by the ATF. GWACS makes them today.
http://www.gwacsarmory.com/
If you want to go that route (or ordering any lower) have fun paying the cost of it plus a $75-200 transfer fee in addition when there's a perfectly good aluminum lower sitting there for ~$150-200 out the door.
>>31933009
They're not banned.
They tend to crack at the rear where they connect to the buffer tube.
Everyone who owns/sells them says they don't break, but most people don't shoot them enough. They CAN last, but the near-universal consensus is that as an absolute best case scenario all but the shittiest aluminum lowers will easily outlast the best polymer ones.

CAV-15 lowers are an exception because they're actually designed around their use of polymer, but most of the time you're looking at FMK-15 and LW-15 horseshit.
>Minor
Do you mean under 18 or under 21?
If you're under 21 you can't buy lowers, definitely not stripped lowers (because they can be built as a handgun, it's a federal law). If you want an AR you have to buy a complete rifle.

If you're under 18 this only works if you're going to turn 18 before Dec. 21st and buy a complete rifle ASAP.
>>31934460
I've seen people fail them. Genuine mouthbreating retards.
>>31935769
Regged AW can't be a family rifle. Featureless only.
>>
>>31936582
The rules are pretty ornery honestly. :(
>>31935122

I mean yeah you can de-register it. But I'd like to see the process for doing so (is it going to be some massive 6-8 week/month process? And how much is it going to be? You know they're going to charge a "de-register" fee to do it) before I commit to registering one of my ARs.
>>
>>31936595
>>deregister
>lol

You can make the gun featureless and go through a de-registration process with the CA DoJ. Fact.
>>
>>31936582
>>31936595
Under the provisions I'm seeing in the current bill that goes in effect Jan 1st 2017 you will be able to make a newly registered AW compliant (featureless) and take it off the registry if you want. It's just a one-way deal, can't change your mind and go back.
>>
>>31934097
Why wouldn't they sell you a stripped lower if you're under 21? Rifles are only 18 on California.
>>
>>31936651
The issue is tied to recent "revisions" of the Gun Control act of 1968 by the ATF. Basically they reclassified "stripped" lowers as firearms that have the potential to be converted to AR Pistols, and thus are not allowed by 18 year olds to purchase. The stupid flip side is however, that an 18 year old can still buy a fully assembled rifle. That's the law for you. :-/
>>
>>31935683
Prior service here. I get it on vehicles and such, but it always bugged me that we didn't just wear the flag on the left shoulder so it could be oriented properly.

>insert conspiracy theory here
>>
IMO, if I still lived in Cali I would get an 80% lower.

Registration leads to confiscation bro.

Besides, there is NO way they will know you have it, and if the cops are kicking in your door and cutting open your safe, you probably have a lot more to worry about than an unregistered ghost gun.
>>
>>31936666
Well shit, I turn 21 on January 3rd. I guess I need to find a way to come up with enough money to get an election scare priced rifle really fucking soon.
>>
>>31936678
There are deals to be had thankfully. M&P Sports are still going for 6-700 hundred depending on where you're purchasing.

Turners is a good source for them
https://www.turners.com/smith-and-wesson/smith--wesson-mp15-sport-ii-55-439693

Alternatively, register at the calguns.net forums. I've bought several rifles there in their private sale forums with decent success if you know where to look.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Finally check out gallery of guns here:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/

They'll locate sellers who will sell to california, then immediately point you to FFLs here in cali that will get the guns shipped to them. They post all the fees and taxes up front so you'll know exactly what to pay. Great source for some of the harder to find guns and the markup isn't too bad on most stuff.
>>
>>31936698
Thanks for the info my guy, hopefully I can get together enough cash before the deadline.
>>
>>31936698
The nice thing about this election cycle is that SO FAR the massive uptick in manufacturing of ARs from the last scare is so massive that it's flooded the market and despite some panic prices are remaining low. Lower than ever in fact.

I wonder if that'll stay that way tomorrow.
>>
>>31935769
Not happening. If you're under 18. You must build from an 80% lower. You cannot buy a stripped or complete lower until you are 21.

Let me be 100% clear here. YOU MUST BUILD THE LOWER YOURSELF FROM AN 80% LOWER. There are plenty of guides online on how to to do this. Slap a serial number on it and register it as an assault weapon if you want an uncucked rifle, you don't have much time.
>>
>>31936678
Here's my advice: Buy from Live Free Armory. They are going to be the cheapest option with a rifle that isn't filled with throwaway parts.

http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/lf556-anodized/

600 dollars for an AR with a quality free-float hand guard, forged upper, nitride barrel, BCG, and decent furniture is unbeatable right now. Their 308s start at 1000 dollars which is insane considering how an M&P10 is like 1400 USD.
>>
are there any rules on new serial numbers?
seems like it would be really easy to accidentally dupe it like 007 or 80085
>>
>>31936799
I haven't been able to find definitive information on it.
Looking through calguns, it seems you can assign whatever serial number you want

HOWEVER

The lower needs to include additional information beyond the serial number. The format seems to follow the required info from the ATF form in this format:

Manufacturer (your real name) or a recognized abbreviation
Location of manufacture (city/state)
Model (make it up)
Serial (make it up)
Caliber

Don't put the same model and serial on different lowers, but you can have model A serial 001 and model B serial 001 without a problem.

The critical thing is that the serial number cannot be the same as the serial on an existing registered weapon, so you'll want to make sure to make your number as unique as possible.

Here's the official DOJ requirements.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-ammunition-firearms-verification-overview
>>
File: DSC_0397_zpsimcgxurx.jpg (159KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0397_zpsimcgxurx.jpg
159KB, 1024x680px
>>31936839
This was an example a guy did. He made three lowers with this info on it:
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.