[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Polearms vs Swords

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 1280px-Hallebardes-p1000544.jpg (163KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Hallebardes-p1000544.jpg
163KB, 1280x960px
I'm arguing with a friend of mine over the practicality of polearms versus swords. He's claiming the only reason the polearm has been more prominent in warfare is its cost as opposed to effectiveness, and that the sword's manueverability makes it superior. I hold that range trumps pretty much everything.

Who's in the wrong here?
>>
Polearms can be stuck through a literal shield wall. Line a bunch of guys up with shields and the pole has a longer reach.

Different strategy, different use. This is partly why Horseback won fights, they used the horses to breach the wall of shields and the sword to be more effective in short range.
>>
>>31931450
1d12, longer reach, +1 vs plate
1d6 or 1d8, can use shield with 1d6, better parry

Situational.
>>
>>31931450

Well, which one was used more widely in actual warfare? There is your answer.
>>
>>31931450
Your friend is completely full of shit. 15th century knights in plate armor who were rich as fuck and could afford swords (and did have them, as a sidearm) carried pole axes as their primary weapon.
>>
File: sekritdocuments.jpg (56KB, 385x354px) Image search: [Google]
sekritdocuments.jpg
56KB, 385x354px
A sword is better when there's only you. When there's you, and fifty other guys, polearms are better.
>>
>>31931450

EDC:
Shield and Sword > Polearm > solo sword

War:
Polearm > Shield Sword > Solo sword

Solo swords were rarely seen in battle; they were 100% used as backup and urban weapons, and when they were used as solo weapons they were great swords. Your military composition is going to have a healthy mix of polearm and shield using units. Pikeman were very good against cavalry but did not fair well against heavy infantry. you want your pikeman protecting your forces from the Cavalry charges so your heavy and light infantry can form an effective melee.
>>
>>31932395
>A sword is better when there's only you.
Never post again.
>>
>>31932443
>oh look at me, i'm gonna carry around this big fuckoff spear all the time
>>
File: realfuckinNATO.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
realfuckinNATO.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
>>31932443
Wow. Excellent counterargument. I am bested.
>>
>>31932493
Do you actually think I'm not going to notice you're such a worthless shitposter that you switched your argument to "a sword is best one on one" to "a sword is easier to carry around"?

Last reply you get troll.
>>
Swords were the greatest side arm of their time. Everyone carried one on their hip by late medieval time periods, but not everyone used it as their primary weapon because it's a poor primary weapon.

I'd rather carry a sword than a polearm, but I'd rather have a polearm in a fight. Same reason why people carry handguns these days even though a rifle is a better weapon.
>>
>>31931450
Polearms are way better. You can strike from a huge distance, you can either do quick stabs or powerful strikes, and if he tries to move in, you have plenty of time to pull the polearm back and still poke it in his eye.

Polearm wins.
>>
>>31932144
I appreciate your post anon
>>
This thread is in need of some CONTEXT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdx8kNo_ouA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lH6NT-f9LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2YgGY_OBx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92_TKngfYFQ
>>
>>31931450
Poleaxes are a primary weapon
For the most part you'd also have a longsword as a backup

Swords are faster and better against foes with exposed areas, where the poleaxe is slightly slower but better against plate armour.

Source: I do the system of Fiore dei Liberi which includes azza and spada (axe and sword) so I use both
>>
>>31932413
>EDC
>Shield
You're stupid
What you mean is either sword and buckler or longsword, but I'd still go longsword for that reach.
>>
>>31932586
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYKjoosrRRI

Shield and sword is still quite effective against a polearm in a duel.

>>31932604
shields 80-90cm in diameter are most common for your EDC shield.
>>
>>31932649
While a buckler IS a shield, calling it a shield is too vague. If you mean buckler say buckler.
>>
>>31932413
God made it clear that one sword one gun was the way to go back in the 1600's.
>>
>>31931450
Watch that Halberd cut a man in two from neck to cock...... See a Halberd take off a horses head.

Use the axe head plus the momentum of an 8 foot lever to crush a helmet. Spear thrust a charging man with the point. Drag a knight off his horse with the hook on the back. Pull a man off his feet with the hook by the back of the calf. Hook an opponents shield and drag him to the ground then reverse and thrust the point. Plant the butt and stop a charging horse like a pike.

Halberdiers.... are bad ass mother fuckers... This weapon persisted into even the American Revolution and the Napoleonic wars.
>>
>>31932670
Bucklers stop being bucklers when you get up to 45 cm
>>
>>31932715
God can lick my ass
>>
>>31932740
I assumed you got the measurements wrong as you posted a vid of a buckler, and also when it is or isn't a buckler is hard to define.
Anything larger than a buckler would not be socially acceptable to wear if not in battle.
>>
File: fedora107.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fedora107.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>31932748
HOW DARE YOU. F*ck off back to /r/atheism with your blasphemy.

This is what u look like btw lol.
>>
>>31932761
the other half of the video has roundshield vs spear

>>31932804
>getting this triggered
>>
>>31932831
Ah, I maybe didn't watch the full video
>>
Anybody have that webm of two guys fighting with longswords, the one that cuts to images from a treatise over and over?
>>
>>31931450
The sword is a side arm, a secondary weapon. It was almost never used as a primary weapon during war. That is because in war, despite what you see in movies, you fight in a formation. That bullshit where the two armies are slowly approaching each other in formation, get to about 100 meters away, then break formation, charge and engage in countless individual duels is pure Hollywood fiction designed to good on camera. Now, for more mundane tasks like self defense you wouldn't carry a heavy military weapon which works best in formation anyway, so for small groups or individuals swirds were simply more practical.
>>
>>31932856
https://youtu.be/4GoQlvc_H3s
I got you senpai.
>>
>>31931450
You're right, range gives you an extreme advantage until you start getting into stupidly large lengths. A normal spear is very maneuverable.
>>
>>31931450

A halberd strike is going to hit way fucking harder than a longsword cut.

Pole weapons generate so much fucking force. Your friend is a stupid nigger.
>>
>>31932586

opened this thread just to see if anyone had posted Matt, good job
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.