[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Purpose or Practical Rifle Building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: General Purpose Rifle Build 2.0.png (407KB, 1920x1348px) Image search: [Google]
General Purpose Rifle Build 2.0.png
407KB, 1920x1348px
Hello again. A while ago I decided that I wanted a modern general purpose rifle...something that would be useful hunting, target shooting, and if crazy world events should happen. The closest I came to describing what I wanted was Jeff Cooper's scout rifle. But the scout concept had a few very dated concepts...so I came up with this list. The perfect rifle should be:

-Compact. No longer than 39 inches.
-Light. No heavier than 7.7lbs unloaded with optic.
-Well rounded. .308 caliber.
-Easy to feed. Detachable magazine of at least 5 rounds.
-Versatile. Able to mount a 1-6x illuminated AR style optic for a wide range of shooting.
-Prepared. Have a backup sighting system such as iron sights.
-Low profile. Must look like a hunting rifle.
-Accurate. At least an 18 inch barrel.

So I started to research things. It's what I do. Here's a list of what I found that could come close to the above requirements (pic related): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lss013ctlb4pwqj/GPR%20Build%202016%202.0.ods?dl=0

I'm sharing this in the hope that others can use my legwork to their advantage. I decided to either get a Winchester 70 featherweight compact or a Remington model 7 laminate. Both will need an inlet and bottom metal, but the remington has sights and the shorter barrel already. Which way would you go, /k/?
>>
>>31928418
>308 caliber
Why .308?
>>
File: hunter_main_c_1.png (61KB, 1518x600px) Image search: [Google]
hunter_main_c_1.png
61KB, 1518x600px
>>31928442
I have a stock of it and reload it regularly. Feeding it will be easier than 30-06 or something more niche.
>>
>>31928475
Forgot to mention: one of the other close finishers: a Kimber Hunter.
>>
>>31928475
What you have is a pretty interesting idea. I like it.
>>
I want everything you want, OP but with two added conditions:

>Must take AICS or SR-25 magazines
>Straight-pull action. Not spring-loaded "lol just remove the gas tube on an AR," but straight-pull like an M95 or K31.

Unfortunately it does not exist.
>>
>>31928596
hmm. The CDI/PTG column indicates bottom metal exists for that rifle to let it take AICS magazines...I love the commonality aspect. Straight pull through? thats rough.
>>
>>31928418
Model 7s are inferior to 700s, and can't do anything they don't. Still better than Model 70s though.

You should consider that the Kimber is stainless, which is a big advantage. I have not handled an 84M Hunter but it shares lineage with the 84M Montana, which is the best backpack hunting rifle on the planet.

If the Hunter has a stock that is half as high quality as the Montana, and a reliable DBM, it is head a shoulders above everything else on the list.
>>
>>31928897
Sounds like the hunter's stock is high end Tupperware. Boo! May just have to suck it up and grab a tikka and aftermarket stock... or just gamble on the Remington.
>>
>>31928751
The only new production straight-pull rifles are boutique euro guns that cost $2k+ for a 1 MOA gun.
>>
>>31928418
You don't need a long barrel for accuracy. Look into the Mega SF-MATEN.
>>
>>31929608
Is still prefer 18 inches. I own a vepr with a 16 inch barrel in 308 and can see and feel the difference. I'll check out the rifle though
>>
>>31929608
While interesting, the mega SF seems to fail on three areas:

1. 7.2 lbs before adding optic means it'll be overweight.
2. It's the opposite of a low profile gun. Its tactical.
3. 2500 dollars is close to the budget for the whole rifle optic and all.

Does look like fun though....
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.