[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Engineering student here. I want to get into firearms design.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 54c82f838e247.jpg (148KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
54c82f838e247.jpg
148KB, 1920x1080px
Engineering student here. I want to get into firearms design. Is there any useful book that explains what are some proven design choices, what makes a good gun and what makes a shit gun, in an engineering sound way.
>>
>>31927964
no

also you will never turn a wrench. stop associating yourself with those that do via pic related
>>
File: IMG_2601.jpg (151KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2601.jpg
151KB, 500x710px
>>31927964
Not really. Just gotta study the history of firearms design and figure out what worked and what didn't.
>>
>>31927974
>getting triggered by inexistent implications
Calm your autism, I just find TF2's engineer a funny character. Gesus!

>>31927981
Crap.
"You want to become a designer in our company: what are your references?"
"I have a degree in aerospace engineer and I watched all Forgotten Weapons videos"
>>
>>31927964
id start with percussion cap rifles, and muzzleloaders, and learn about different qualities of steel.

>fuck im not and engineer I have no real advice. best of luck following your dreams anon.
>>
>>31927964
Don't listen to these faggots, except about turning a wrench professionally.
>>31927974
>>31927981
Start with 'rifle accuracy facts' by Harold R. Vaughn for some good experimental analysis of ballistics, internal ballistics and muzzle interaction are most relevant to firearms design.
'6 guns ' by Elmer Kieth is a good read as well, if a little dated, on handgun design and caliber selection as well as some load development.
>>
>>31928036
take gunsmithing courses
>>
>>31927974
Are you an assblasted mechanic who thinks hes better than engineers who make the cars you can barely fix or are you an assblasted engineer who cant evem change his own oil?
>>
>>31928074
Cool. Thank you very much anon.
>>
>>31927964
ME here. I havent read many books on gun desgin, but what I do mostly is put guns together from parts kits. A shit tonne of info can be learned when getting up close and personal with each part and seeing how they interact with other parts. With an engineering background you can measure the dimensions and see what kind of tolerances are used when looking at blueprints. You can test spring forces and look up chamber pressures to see what kind of stress parts are under. And at the end you not only learn a lot, you also get a gun to call your own. Now dont get this advice confused with not getting any books and doing only parts kits. My suggestion is do both if you can.
I have a dream of doing the same thing as you OP. So I plan on getting a P.E. License while building a portfolio of gun projects. With cash earned from my engineering job I am building a sizable shop to create guns of my own desgin. Wish you luck.
>>
>>31928374
>My suggestion is do both if you can.
Here lies the problem: I don't have the money to build practical experience, since I'm still an unemployed student; not living in the land of the free makes everything much more difficult. That's why I'm asking for books to gain knowledge in the subject: those come cheap and unregulated.
>>
>>31927974
You're
U g l y
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.