[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

6.5 creedmoor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 6.5.jpg (248KB, 2331x1945px) Image search: [Google]
6.5.jpg
248KB, 2331x1945px
Can someone redpill me on this round? Is it a good all-around alternative to .308win in an AR-10 platform? I know the big tradeoff is bullet weight and barrel wear, but does the round still hold enough energy to penetrate barriers at distance like a 308? Does it still have the lethal range like a 308 for hunting?
>>
If you know how to shoot its perfectly fine. There are guys that use 6.5 creedmore and 260 rem on game out past 800 yards successfully.
>>
>>31919446
What purpose do you want it for? 6.5 mm bullets were used in every major war of the early 20th century, so it would be fine for killing people, if that's what you want it for. If you want it for hunting, I would go with 308 just for better ammo selection, but 6.5 Creedmoor is certainly powerful enough for just about anything short of African dangerous game.
>>
>special snowflake cartridges
>>
>>31919604
>What purpose do you want it for?

As an alternative to the 308, but with less recoil and better ballistics. Wind around here wrecks my 308 shots. Hunting everything up to African dangerous game works for me. Thanks anon.
>>
>>31919618
The appeal of 6.5 creedmoor is that it's at the point where it isn't special snowflake anymore. It has the better performance of special snowflake rounds for long distances, but you can buy factory loads at most anywhere, and put them in a gun that came from the manufacturer chambered in it.
>>
>>31919650

it will suit you just fine then, be warned of barrel wear however
>>
>>31919650
But that begs the question, what were you using 308 Win. for before? If you just want to punch holes in paper, 6mm BR or 6mm PPC are the best of the best. For hunting deer, damn near any caliber .243 an up will work if you use the right bullets.

>Wind around here wrecks my 308 shots
Don't get your hopes up about 6.5 Creedmoor. Wind will move it too, just not quite as much.
>>
>>31919650

> Wind wrecks my .308 shots

I'm assuming you're talking about >400m shots. At some point, no amount of BC is going to fix this issue. You just have to get to the target more quickly.

If you're routinely taking shots at this range, it might be time to actually look at a magnum caliber.
>>
>>31920508
At some point, no amount of velocity is going to solve the problem. You just have to get closer to the goddamn target.
>>
>>31919900
Ppc
>>
6.5CM carries more energy than .308 at I think 500+ yards. It has less drop, less influence from wind, and can be reloaded for cheaper. It does burn barrels faster than .308, but 308 has a very long barrel life compared to most rounds.

If you need to be hunting at long range, or want to shoot paper beyond 1300yds, start looking at 300WM or 338LM, otherwise 6.5CM should do what you want it to. My buddy has taken several elk with a .270, which is a similar round.
>>
>>31919446
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but it resembles the 7x49 second compromise round the british and the belgians were messing around with after the americans rejected .280 british. That round was known for having the same characteristics as anon >>31919650 pointed out. The belgians and the brits finangled a way of replicating 280 british's characteristics in a converted 7.62 Nato cases. The only use this round got was by Venezuela who ordered one of the first batches of FALs in that 7x49 round. 6.5 Creedmoor has dimensions very similar to 7x49, except in 6.5.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.