[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a decent amount of magazines per firearm? Because one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

What is a decent amount of magazines per firearm? Because one extra mag clearly isn't enough, but buying 200 is expensive. Where's the right balance between cost and a quality amount?

>inb4 you can never have enough mags

I agree but some of us are poorfags
>>
Approximately 10 quality spare magazines per firearm is a good round number and not too expensive.
>>
I go with 3 tho I only shoot at ranges so I don't really need more than that.
>>
>>31918312
It depends. I test all my mags and usually if you have 10 magazines you have 2 or 3 that are kinda funky. Label them and sell them, then i need to buy 3 more to replace them, then i find another 2 that have something odd that could be a problem so i sell them, then you need a few more so you again are left with a couple that dont work 100% as well as the others and so on and so forth. It never ends.
>>
>>31918312

7 for a long arm, standard military load out and a good amount of ammo if shit does in fact go down.

3-5 sidearm mags.
>>
>>31918312
I only had 5. It's basically the same amount of dakkas I carried with me for 24-hour patrol when I was in the military
>>
File: 1461620530911.jpg (563KB, 750x910px) Image search: [Google]
1461620530911.jpg
563KB, 750x910px
3 to 5 with 3 being a minimum. Assuming this is for an ar or ak, magazines are so cheap having at the least 5 is no excuse.

For pistols, 3 is a minimum. I like to go beyond desu
>>
6-8 for long arm
3-5 for sidearm

No point on owning hundreds of them if you're talking about some SHTF scenario where you have to get the fuck out quickly because you sure as hell aren't going to carry 200 loaded magazines on your person
>>
10 for my long arm

3 for my sidegat

if I'm ever going to be engaged in a firefight (please god let it never happen), I'm going to be using my longfun much more than my sidearm. 10x20 is 200 rounds of .308. If I'm resorting to cqc with my sidearm, it's because I failed to keep my distance and I'm probably going to die anyway.

In terms of self defense CCW, again I'll only have time for a magazine. Maybe a second one but it'll be over by then one way or another
>>
>>31918312
12 for shtf go time that are loaded and not messed with. 5 for training. you really need to seperate carry/go time mags from training mags. taining mags get used, damaged, dirty. you don't ant that in a mag that you expect to use.
>>
>>31918351
One in the fun and six on the vest?
>>
Jesus Christ. I have several hundred Mags. They're cheap, reliable and available right now. Mags are consumables. They're easily banned in standard capacities.

Fuck, I have 500 aluminum mags on the way here the beginning of next year.

Be smart. Invest now.
>>
10 per long arm, 4 or 5 per pistol I'd my SOP.
>>
File: IMG_20161015_151152.jpg (445KB, 1427x1070px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161015_151152.jpg
445KB, 1427x1070px
Ideal: 20+ per rifle, 10+ per handgun

Mags are consumable items,folks. And AWB 2.0 will happen in our lifetimes, be prepared.
>>
>>31918351
It's a good idea to stock ammo even if shit doesn't htf. Why would you want to have to produce permission to buy ammunition, like Illinois . I see that kind of near future.
>>
>>31918312
For carry you should have three which are used solely for carry. Remember to clean them and your carry ammo regularly, dust gets everywhere.

For practice look for a minimum of enough mags to hold 50 rounds. From there you can add on slowly whenever you feel like buying new practice mags and/or cycle old carry magazines out.
>>
>>31918614
>Used GI's
Fuck me I would love to get some of those. My buddy has a dozen from Iraq that he for whatever reason refuses to sell, even one.

Fuck he thinks he can get $30 a piece for them. I told him I paid $13 a piece for my Brownell's ones and I saw the hope shatter.
>>
>>31918614
>mags are consumable
Feinstein pls go
>>
Another question;

Pmags or USGI?
>>
>tfw levergat
>tfw no magazine
>>
>>31918840
Lancers, my good negro
>>
File: ar15-bulk-magazines.jpg (360KB, 1024x764px) Image search: [Google]
ar15-bulk-magazines.jpg
360KB, 1024x764px
>>31918814
Mags are easier to break by accident than the rifle.

Duh.

>>31918840
>>31918865
All three.
>>
>>31918840

Both. Pmags are better daily user mags, USGI mags are good to stock up on for possible future bans since we know USGI mags that are decades old still work. Will the polymer in the pmag last 4 decades? Nobody knows.
>>
>>31918840
USGI. Cheaper and interchangeable with my other gun
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (2MB, 3877x2908px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
2MB, 3877x2908px
For pistols used for defense:

Minimum of six, but twelve is better. Two for carry/HD, these stay loaded with JHPs. Two for range use. Two left unused for spares/replacement. Doubling the quantity is better as that leaves you with more practice mags as well as more spares available. Questionable mags should be marked and reserved for practice only.

For defensive long guns:

Decide your basic load (mine is one in the gun + three in a bag). Triple that and there's your minimum, again going with the set of spares + set of practice mags idea.

For collectibles/shooters:

I like at least three for a pistol and at least four for a mag-fed rifle, just for range use.
>>
>>31918792
They sell for about $10 per at gun shows and online.
>>
What if your rifle takes stripper clips? Couldn't you take many more since a loaded clip weighs less than a loaded mag
>>
>>31918981
I like magazines better than clips. The ammo doesn't get as dirty, and the rounds are less likely to come loose. And it's faster to reload using one 30 round magazine than it is to reload with three 10 round clips

If I was feeding something with an integral magazine then I'd buy like 30 clips, theyre cheap as shit
>>
One of my friends has 200+ mags for his PTR.

Hes a little crazy.
>>
>>31919046
eh if he bought em when they were 2 for a dollar its not that outrageous
>>
>>31918981
>What if your rifle takes stripper clips?

Sometimes those are only good for storage and rapid refills of mags. Like in the case of AR's and 5.45 AK's.

With a Mosin or SKS or older rifle, you may as well use the strippers, because it;s faster than individual loading.
>>
File: both.png (88KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
both.png
88KB, 260x260px
>>31918981
Get a Vz-58
>>
>>31919325
I'm not canadian and I can legally own a bona-fide AK
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.