[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3D printed guns, are they just a meme /k/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

3D printed guns, are they just a meme /k/?
>>
>high failure rate
>fires 5-20 shots depending on the plastic type before it's unusable
literally a fucking meme
it's more effective just to make a gun out a pipe or something
>>
They're a political tool to scare antigunners, because those people are ignorant and don't believe that people can build guns in garages. To them guns come from a factory (like meat, where no animals were harmed).

They're not practical weapons but they are fun engineering challenges. Building things for the sake of building, pushing a material to its limits just to see what can be done.
>>
They're proof of concept, nothing more. A big fuck you to the government.
>>
>>31914420

Directly out of plastic? Meme.

Using the plastic to make masters for casting aluminum and/or other metals? Not a meme.

Laser sintering (like you have one, nigger) not a meme.
>>
>>31914521
>>31914517
These.
>>
>>31914527
How much longer until the patents for laser sintering run out?
>>
>>31914420
Yes, they were literally made just to piss off no guns countries who were dumb enough to think they were a threat.

Seriously a 3d printer that could make one safe to fire would cost far more than a lathe that could make an actual gun
>>
>>31914420
Oh god, I was reading the comments on article about this on face Jew
>you can just walk these through the metal detectors at an airport
>because apparently bullets aren't made of metal
>>
>>31914554
Even when they do, the construction of those devices will cost at least 10k. High quality printers now cost thousands, now add an inert gas filled chamber and a few dozen or few hundred watt laser to it. Money dollars.
>>
>>31914420
a DMLS rig costs about a million dollars and has an ongoing cost of 60 k in air filters per year

https://dmlstechnology.com/dmls-machines
http://www.star-prototype.com/services/3d-direct-laser-metal-printed-parts/?gclid=CKLxnYerk9ACFYaXvAodcTYKKA

advantages

>most economical means of shaping titanium
>can form complex internal shapes and latices
>the surfaces require less finishing
>less metal waste

disadvantage

>a little slower than cnc
>requires complex blends of metal powders and intermediary
>vapour from melting the metal is lethal to breathe in
>resulting metal is a pattern welded laminate vs the more uniform nature of a billet
>as a emerging technology means that currently available units may be soon outmoded or have yet to be uncovered flaws
>>
>Now
Yes.

>In a few years
Probably not.
>>
>>31914420
Still better than Hi-Point.
>>
>>31914420
I'd sceptical about anything 3d printed. I know some people into 3d printing and the like, and they claim it will take off simply by being cheaper or perhaps more accessible or more convenient than buying things normally.

So I never was able to agree with such a radically 3d printer trusting perspective when they disagreed with me that it's more likely to establish a solid niche by allowing you to replace select parts for something for certain reasons.
>>
>>31914420
Lotta people make AR lowers out of them. Seem to work fine.
The PM522 Washbear seems good as well.
>>
>>31914752
No.
>>
>>31914798
3d printer-er here. 3d printing's best use is prototyping parts and custom parts - for small volumes it's much cheaper than injection molding. I use it for one-off electronics cases. Second best use is replacement parts. It's not great since the printer is probably much more expensive than any of the parts but it's handy if you already have a printer. "3d printer in every home!" is a fantasy, since most household items are made of multiple materials, and the items that can be printed are trivial things you'd get from the dollar store
>>
>>31914752
no guns confirmed
>>
Can you 3D print ammo yet?

No?

Then 3D printed guns are a meme.
>>
Plastic ones? Not really, unless you're thinking of Liberator-style ideas(a shitty gun to capture better gun). As such, yes, they do work and are probably great at it.

You can also print with various metals but I assume hardware is expensive as fuck.
>>
>>31914420
It's old meme now, but yes.

Doesn't mean they don't work. Just look at the Shuty, BOLT, Washbear (and the proposed .38 Special model), and otherwise.

They're kinda bulky for what they are, though, for the most part.
>>
>>31914615
I read that same part and thought the same thing.

>inb4 3d printed ammunition
>>
>>31916087
Yes, but only the bullets, and it's pretty shitty.

As expected, it won't even chamber the next round.

>>31916089
There's supposed to be a company who'll sell a laser sintering printer for 10k.
>>
I'm honestly considering producing plastic guns just to sell to americans who think they "scare the government". Is it an actually prolific meme, or is it just /k/ that's so retarded?
>>
>>31916123
Those Americans buy real guns. You'd get some Jamals and Tyrones though.
>>
>>31916123
You'd break some laws.

You'd actually have to get the customer in there to actually push the button, or they would have to say that they made it.
>>
>>31914615
That's pretty normal for MSM fearmongering. People were saying the same thing in the late 80's/early 90's about Glocks
>>
>>31914420
The washbear revolver looked promising but the creator just up and vanished.
>>
>>31914420
No reason to think they wont eventually become a thing. At first people claimed it was impossible to do it at all, then it was done, and now they are just criticizing them for only lasting a few shots.
>>
>>31916293
>*just up and got vanned.
>>
>>31916344
>tfw he got vanned before he could complete the .38 version
>>
>>31916365
Truth be told, he probably just graduated, and life got in the way. It does that.
>>
>>31916382
Probably got a threatening letter like what happened to the Liberator and decided to just nuke everything instead of fighting it in court.
>>
>>31916123
wat. You're mixing it up. It's to scare antigunners and to say 'fuck you" to the government. Not to scare the government
>>
>>31914420
they were and I believe still are important for a range of reasons, however the guns themselves are not effective

they prove that as fabrication techniques improve, stopping the manufacture of guns is impossible
it might only be plastic today, but laser cutters with CAD compatibility, fill casting (like wax removal casting) will be able to producer serviceable firearms

the guns themselves are poorly designed
hear me out
you KNOW your plastic has material limits, yet foolishly you try to simply copy a design made for metal

1. 3d print a suppressor, they won't be good for many shots, but they don't take pressure like a barrel does
why "3d printed guns" were a thing and not "3d suppressors I'l never know

2. change the firearm design to play on the strengths of your manufacture, internal components can be completely sealed off, no welds, no restrictions on assembly order (correct me if I'm wrong, but it's possible to half print a lower, manually assemble the trigger group in it, then finish printing the lower AROUND the trigger group

3. use different ammunition
the ideal weight/power ratio is going to be different, I'd be prepared to bet reduced pressure and a heavier bullet would produce better results
ELECTRICAL IGNITION IS A THING, why use a hammer/striker fired gun when you could use the firing system from the VOEC light rifle

4. design for your intended use
durability is limited by the material, so don't design with the aim of durability
design with the aim of reliability.

5. integrate manufacture tequniques
I want to see a system where complex plastic parts are used in combination with readily available items
3d printed gun+piece of pipe/bobby pin

a revolver would be leagues better than a semi auto .22

I want to see a hand-cannon that fires a number of reduced pressure 9mm rounds, you could even suppress it
>>
File: la12iwl.jpg (75KB, 1368x768px) Image search: [Google]
la12iwl.jpg
75KB, 1368x768px
>>31916476
>(correct me if I'm wrong, but it's possible to half print a lower, manually assemble the trigger group in it, then finish printing the lower AROUND the trigger group
it's possible but usually not worth the effort. I've only seen it done for embedding magnets into prints. Pinning the parts in place is easier. An alternate method is to print ALL of the parts built in with only a tiny amount of support between them. The support is broken loose by fiddling with it and moving parts. It's tricky but doable.

btw the original printed liberator is terrible compared to the new stuff. The newer guns like the washbear and imura are leagues ahead. Really cool shit.
>>
>>31916645
I have seen the manget inlay, and imagined the "break joins when first used" thing

there might not be much point sealing moving parts inside the gun at the moment
it would just mean any part breaking would make the whole gun useless

but here's what I envision
you know how brass casings expand in the chamber to form a better seal?
well this plastic, I'm prepared to bet that it expands as well under pressure
if you make a gun like the ones I'm seeing, the parts under pressure expand freely, subjecting the breach to piercing pressure

do you remember those old cowboy revolvers that you had to hand feed one bullet at a time?
well instead of trying to build the breach/cylander to withstand the preassure of the round by itself, why don't we reduce the tolerances to the point that when it's under pressure it expands INTO the adjacent parts, creating a seal

and why a zig-zag?
it it were me, I'd use lugs that were spring loaded to press into the cylinder, and retracted when the trigger was half pulled
>>
>>31914615
>>31916121
>>
File: 1385962696545.jpg (328KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1385962696545.jpg
328KB, 3264x2448px
>>31917861
>>
Aspiring 3d ktard here.
Is 123design 3 mm ABS filament printed at .5 mm thickness .2 mm step with 20 % infill and 3 mm walls sufficient to make my own rails?
I'm comparing the fiber resin from the sample I have and it seems structurally comparable.
I was looking to make rails, helical magazines and assecories for the ar and ak while fitting to picatinny . Eight now I am waiting back on legality, but assuming legal.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>31916110
well you could nigrig a bullet out of plastic, propellant & matcheads as the primer: use a marble as the bullet. a bit of sandpaper over the (plastic) firing pin should do it. It would be very much a single shot but if you're close enough that's all you would need. If you were going to do that then just use a songbird design (without the metal tubing reinforcement).
Wish it was more derringer sized though and double barrelled.
>>
File: 2nd Amendment Arms Corp..jpg (93KB, 577x554px) Image search: [Google]
2nd Amendment Arms Corp..jpg
93KB, 577x554px
>>31917950
Leik dis?
>>
>>31916774
The zigzag is because the standard hand and ratchet system are too delicate for plastic, they'd wear out very quickly. With the zigzag system you have a lot more material so the plastic is more sturdy.
>>
>>31918191

CLINT NO!
>>
>>31917861
The imprint would still show up on the body scanner
>>
>>31920814
Last time I went through LAX they had dogs that presumably would sniff out drugs or explosives, so they'd detect the gun powder as well.
>>
>>31917876
IT'S THE GLOCK 7
>>
>>31916178
could that be done over the internet?
>>31918191
kinda, but with the inserts that house the bullet: either individual or twin ones: probably twin.
>>
>>31914420
I got a printer, yeah for the most part they are.
But they're great for making certain AR parts and not paying a gorrillion dollarydoos to fagpul
>>
>>31916070
Poorfag confirmed
>>
Also, the materials used in printing have come a long way for the past five years, instead of just ABS/PLA there is also PETG, various Nylons, and Polycarbonate. Nylon barrels have been tried and proved durable, though its flexibility means rifling doesn't engage. But then seeing as lead is always harder than plastic, it wouldn't ever engage plastic rifling.
>>
>>31914517
Established cottage indistries like in Khyber Pass or (especially) the Phillipiines are a better example, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fna9WEO6BjE
>>
>>31917861
>plastic bullets
why?

there are so many non-metalic materials that would make better bullets
>>
File: kyber drill.jpg (47KB, 372x550px)
kyber drill.jpg
47KB, 372x550px
>>31917888
not sure anon, but you're going gods work

>>31921122
just so you know man, the dogs are really just there to scare people; and provide the justification for random searches

I don't believe they can effectively target explosives outside of a test environment, especially explosives that are in a sealed container

>>31922199
pic related
>>
>>31914420
WHAT ABOUT 3D PRINTED BULLETS GUYS?
>>
>>31922395
3D printed smokeless powder
>>
>>31914420
waiting for 3d printed ammo
>>
>>31922199
They are a better example but 3d printers hit the news so everybody knows about them now. You can just say "lol 3d printer" to get chumps into a tizzy. Most casuals don't know about those garage gunshops.
>>
>>31922317
They're made for indoor practice and you don't use any powder when loading them.
>>
>>31917888
ABS is a good choice, slightly more durable than PLA. 20% infill sound low. I use 40% for anything that's supposed to be durable. I haven't made any rails though. Test print a rail, put a grip on, and see how much force it takes to break the rail. A commercial grip is probably made of solid nylon and should easily outlast the printed rail. Or print a grip too and see how much forces it takes to break.
>>
>>31917861
Any reviews on it, and can it be 3d printed?

>>31917876
Sauce?

>>31922005
Yes.

Some fag would pay money and then set up a print order for what he wants. You could even base your prices on the amount of materiel used, or you could do a flat rate, or a combination of both, like 5 bucks a print, plus one dollar for every ounce above X, if you want.

I don't understand why you would want to do such a thing, though. They'd still have to pick it up, and you'd have to ship it to an FFL if they wanted it shipped.

>>31922158
Got any links to some good cheap shit for my e3d?

Need a 1.75mm filament.
>>
File: SP-4_rounds_before_the_shooting.jpg (2MB, 2250x1461px) Image search: [Google]
SP-4_rounds_before_the_shooting.jpg
2MB, 2250x1461px
So there is this soviet pistol called PSS which uses rounds like picrel. Bullets are pushed out of the case with piston, so gases stay within case. I such construction has potential for 3D printed weaponry, for it helps reduce thermal and mechanical stress to the weapon. What do you think?
>>
>>31924702
Same round after shooting.
>>
>>31916774
Nice dude. Great analysis as far as I can tell
>>
>>31914517
/thread
>>
>>31914420
Yes.

Democratizing firearms production and distribution however, is not.
>>
>>31914420
I feel like 3D printing would be more useful for hard to make gun parts like magazines. The 3D printed magazines designed so far look pretty reliable.
>>
>>31914420
Depends on the technology but in terms of price vs result 3D printing can't compete vs attaching a piece of pipe to a piece of wood.
>>
>>31926939
>Democratizing firearms production and distribution however, is not.

These fucking meme words.

Colt made his revolver in 1835. He didn't have half the tools or the quality materials available to him that any swinging dick faggot can purchase in a hardware store nowadays.

If nowadays anyone who has 2 hands and 2 neurons wants to make a gun, they can make a gun. 3D printing brought nothing new. Don't use a fucking meme phrase like "Democratizing firearms production". It means fucking nothing and just contributes to the stupid hypewhoring.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.