[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Baofeng and survival gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: baofeng-4.jpg (1006KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
baofeng-4.jpg
1006KB, 2048x2048px
Time for a survival gear thread. Post the info you and the gear /k/ uses in the woods.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Version-version-upgrading-Dual-Band/dp/B010LOI056/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=QDPSZXCW6R3BR61ED64D&th=1
>>
I like these gloves https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YSS0EQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
>>
first for STAY OFF THE FUCKING HAM BANDS

unless you have a license
>>
>>31906036
why?
>>
>>31906036
HAM is specifically for amateur radio, no need for a licence m8
>>
>>31906689
laws yo
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2600x1950px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2600x1950px
Here's my bug out bag. I need to replace is with something bigger. But I've got a tarp and hammock and 50 degree sleeping bag for shelter, fleece top and bottoms in case it's colder at night. cooking kit, hatchet, extra skivvies, basic medical supplies, fire starting kit, head lamp, ear protection, a shemagh, and they're not in the pouches but some canteens for water. And of course a little carry gun. I have some things to upgrade and a few things I need to add but it's a start.
>>
>>31906762
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YSS0EQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What bag is that?
>>
>>31906713

Yes, you do.
>>
>>31906966
what about the gloves
>>
I have iodine for water and first aid, 191 alcohol for many uses, a virus filter for my geigerrig, plus a 1micron bag filter to help (it's not absolute so i dont trust it, need to find better)and carry 2 1/2 days minimum of water.

You can survive cold and hungry, but without water you are fucked. And boiling it takes a lot of time and resources, even though it's always a good backup.

Also don't waste money on disposable shit like glow sticks. I'll never understand why people like them. Even if an emp destroys electronics you can start a fucking fire.

I do need to make my pack wider, it's really long right now. Fucking first aid kit is hanging off the back.
>>
i need more
>>
>>31907120
>shit like glow sticks. I'll never understand why people like them.
because a lantern and can of fuel doesnt fit in the bag. ever been camping?
>>
I have a beofeng but I'm thinking about getting a handheld scanner. In SHTF I think it would be a lot more useful. Unless it was a complete apocalypse and the police aren't even operating at all anymore. Besides with the limited range of a beofeng it's just like a slightly better walkie talkie.
>>
>>31906713
Nigger
>>
>>31906762
>hardly any water
>no food
> tons of cloths
>rucksack with no frame
Enjoy dying should anything really happen.
>>
>>31906036
No liscense to listen faggot.
>>
Put that Baofeng to work. Get a license (it's $15 and you can study online for free). Learn to actually communicate with people on the air. Make some friends. Join an ARES net. Help your community.
>>
>>31906966
The bag is the operator backpack fromLA Police Gear. It's just $50. Not bad but wouldn't last years like other brands and materials.
>>31906981
Not pictured here but I have PIG gloves from skdtac
>>
>>31906713
If you broadcast anything, you need a license. Listen all you want, just don't hot mic.
>>
>>31907375

Not who you responded to but I've camped. Glowsticks work thru a single night and offer minimal light then become useless trash, all while taking up space.

They sell headlamps that are more portable and last for weeks of use. And you can always make a fire.

Glowsticks are for fun or marking danger zones
>>
>>31907385
You know you can setup the baofang as a scanner right? Or are tou talking about something more powerful as a scanner.
>>
>>31908852
Yeah but the beofeng can't pick up the digital channels police and EMS use now.
>>
>>31908993
Can you elaborate?

What's a good police scanner than?
>>
>>31909087
I don't know much about radios desu but they use a trunked radio system that the beofeng can't use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunked_radio_system

Then a lot of police departments have even switched to digital and the handheld scanners for those are really expensive.

I mean someone with more than my kindergarten level of knowledge about radios should chime in, but it seems to me that the beofeng is only useful as a walkie talkie basically.
>>
>>31909190
From a quick skim of wikipedia it sounds like frequency-hopping. Best of my knowledge, you can't track it unless you know what their frequency range is and how their equipment is programmed. If you knew those two things, you could follow right along unless they were encrypted.
>>
File: tumblr_lx70cazP7v1qmpg90o1_500.gif (478KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lx70cazP7v1qmpg90o1_500.gif
478KB, 500x280px
>>31905132
What headset would you recommend?
>>
>>31909190
>>31909346
Just curious. My grandpa was a radio operator in the Army (Korea era). He'd sit at his computer playing solitaire on Windows 95 and listening to the police scanner.

He also had a CB radio in his Jeep because he knew trucker lingo and they'd warn about cops and traffic delays.

I think we should be able to listen in. Freedom of Information.
>>
>>31906713
amateur in this sense means that hams cannot receive payment for their services, as opposed to a commercial radio station
>>
>>31909489
>>31909346
>>31909190
>>31908993
>>31909087
The majority of the police use P25 radios so they can talk to one another. Prior to that you had issues where multiple departments wouldnt be able to talk to eachother in a serious situation.

P25 is sort of like a cell network, you have small repeater towers that repeat your signal. So your radio connects to that repeater tower (1st frequency) and that repeater tower assigns you some spectrum for your voice (2nd frequency). That voice frequency is constantly shifting.

Additionally P25 does support encryption however the only people I have seen use it is feds (FBI, SS, etc) .

You can buy a dedicated digital P25 scanner from a company like uniden but I am unaware of a baofeng like product with p25 scanning capabilities. Additionally you cannot just buy a p25 compatible radio since there is a config file on each department's radio.
>>
>>31909526
Thanks for detailed reply.

So to just KISS, what is the best way an ordinary citizen can possess a modern day police scanner?
>>
>>31909576
the $1 app on your phone
>>
>>31909582
For real?

If I sound overly naive, my bad. But that's all it takes?
>>
>>31909597
Yup, you can also listen for free on some websites. If they ever decide to unplug their scanner you're SOL though.
>>
>>31909610
Oh. So you're listening to a channel of someone broadcasting their scanner..

I don't know if thatd work for me. I live in the boonies. I need to get the actual signal first hand preferably. I doubt there's even a broadcast for my 4,000 population town.
>>
>>31909659
if your local police communicate through radios/CB's then there's a broadcast.

at 4000 people, do it the easy way and take a walk over to the sheriff station. then just ask the guy at the front desk. if they think you're not up to something shady then they'll probably have one or two volunteer programs they'd love to receive help with. possibly even as a volunteer radio dispatcher.

I'm not kidding. they'll be horribly underfunded and strapped for resources. somebody willing to do volunteer work will be a god send for them.
>>
what to fire starters?
>>
Is it worth it to get a radio license? They have a couple free Saturday classes in my area and the test is only 15 bucks. Seems like it might be a cool thing to do.
>>
>>31910358
if you enjoy it, then yes. go have fun.
>>
>>31906713

Wow, better tell the fcc amateur radio licensing is bullshit then.
>>
>>31909722

Even easier method: check frequency registration online. They're public.
>>
>>31905132
baofeng is shit use a real radio brand like yaesu icom or even kenwood

also unless you are poor i suggest buying an HF radio too. with a simple wire antenna cut to the right length you can talk to other ppl innawoods across the ocean.

i suggest you get an amateur radio license too so you can learn about how to use your radio effectively.
>>
>>31906713
in us especially fcc has nothing else to do so if someone rats you out they will come and they will find you like taken except with direction RF finding equipment.

other bands are regulated too, like FRS and GMRS. the baofeng shit isn't approved for use on those. how they will find out, i don't know (unless you go over power limits and they find you)

baofeng can also tx/rx on some freqs that are probably used by public safety channels, but most are using crazy stuff like digital trunking and encoding, so it wouldn't work anyway. if you mess around on public safety channels they will come and they will find you.

thats not to say they are gonna get you. if you're doing this innawoods with the range you get the chance of you interfering with someone else is negligible. but its still technically illegal reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>31908993
If you want a digital handheld radio you're going to end up paying a good bit.

BK Radio, P25, KNG-P150S Handheld Radio by Bendix King https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AA0BLIK/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_8yKhyb4APBFA4

This ones a handheld P25 digital radio and its $975
>>
>>31906036
ty for not being a fag like all these other preptards

seriously interference is really annoying when u are trying to call a station or something
>>
>>31909190

More advanced police services use many sub-channels spread around 700mhz. Not only is it out of baofeng range, but it's usually set up in duplex (separate send/receive channels). They are not usually frequency hopping or encrypted, and just need a slightly fancier receiver to pick up (it's why you'll see trunked networks on scanner apps)

Some departments are ITAR approved, though, and can use MBITR's or similar military radios with FH and encryption. No listening to those.
>>
>>31907519
duh he means for tx not rx
>>
>>31909518
there are other rules like what frequency you can tx on, how much power you can use, and what mode of tx (like phones or cw or digital)
>>
>>31910428
Fine, stay in the basement.
>>
>>31909489
you can listen in. what that other anon was saying is that you shouldn't tx on amateur bands without a license because its illegal and if someone hears you and complains they will come find and fine you. the fcc is really good at it and has nothing better to do unless someone cusses on the tv
>>
>>31910358
check to see if there are other VECs in the area. depending on where u are they may have one that offers testing for free. look up laurel vec they might have one in your area.
>>
>>31910437
I understand that you're a pretty passionate radio hobbyist, but not everyone has the budget for higher end equipment.

I'm not as knowledgeable as you, but I've been doing a lot of research on handheld sets in the past few days. From a glance, is there anything that sets this model apart from the more common UV-5R Baofengs?
>>
>>31910527
link related: BaoFeng-BF-F8HP
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478365500&sr=1-3&keywords=baofeng
>>
File: icom718.jpg (312KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
icom718.jpg
312KB, 900x506px
>>31905132
>>
File: u wot.jpg (35KB, 456x456px) Image search: [Google]
u wot.jpg
35KB, 456x456px
>>31906036
>>31906716
don't have a ham but thinking about getting into it so I have a relevant question:

This is what I want to know, how is the license law enforced? I mean, how the hell would someone know where to find the person broadcasting without a license? unless they live in a secluded cabin in the woods and broadcast for hours on end, how would they be found, and can ham even be tracked to a specific location? is there even a budget for tracking down unlicensed ham operators? seems like it's a law that would be too pointless and costly to actually ever enforce
>I might take a course and get the license more to learn than out of any need to broadcast, but it seems more of a community courtesy to me to get your own channel if you want to broadcast, than fear of radio popo knocking down your door and tazing your ham
>>
>>31910527
the main difference between more expensive radios and the baofeng is that the baofeng is made of cheap shitty parts. the squelch is shit. the filtering circuits are shit. its very suspectible to stray rf interference.

you get what you pay for to a point. more expensive radios have quality components and the circuits were not ripped off by some chinaman slave. the more expensive radios filter unwanted signals better and have working squelch and other cool functions like dual crossband tx/rx.

the baofeng is fine, i got two of them. but if i had to rely on ht for communications innawoods i would drop the $150-300 for a quality radio. if you are going to be in dense brush i would go with a uhf / 440 radio. the shorter waves do better at penetrating the brush and they work pretty good indoors to. 2m is fine also tho and generally there are more 2m repeaters around, but it depends on your area.
>>
>>31910640
thanks, i appreciate it
>>
>>31910623
generally unless there are bored fcc agents (which there are probably plenty of) if some old man hears you acting up he will complain to the fcc like an old man likes to do. they take it pretty seriously and they have teams that use directional rf finding equipment. all they have to do is follow the signal when you tx and they can figure out where you are tx from. they take your gear and fine you like 10k at least generally. considering a license is usually free or $15 to get (and you don't pay unless you pass the test) why not just take the test and learn how it works?
>>
File: ic51aplus.jpg (185KB, 403x873px) Image search: [Google]
ic51aplus.jpg
185KB, 403x873px
>>31905132
>>
File: 60r.jpg (129KB, 650x775px) Image search: [Google]
60r.jpg
129KB, 650x775px
>>31910648
yw anon

i suggest looking up ur local area on repeaterbook or some other website like that

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/

that site should work. go ahead and get a baofeng if u havent yet and listen in to the freqs they list for repeaters in ur area. see which ones have the most activitiy. if u like it then maybe save up for a better radio. if they only have 2m or 440 repeaters in your area, you might be able to find a better radio that only does 2m or 440. itll be cheaper because u dont have the added feature of quality dual band tx/rx. if you want both then get both. a quality handheld dual bander shouldnt be more than 300 unless it has bells and whistles type shit that you dont need like dstar or w/e. yaesu ft-60r is a good starter ht, quality and has dual band and only $150 pic related
>>
File: ic2730a.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ic2730a.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>31905132
>>
>>31910623
The law is long term in it's methods and patient. From even short broadcasts they would step by step narrow down the area until they have you.

The thing is a licenses is only needed for the higher bandwidths and frequencies. Stay on the low power frequencies and there is no need for a license, why do think every one can buy and use those little two way radios with a 22 mile range? They're low power.
>>
>>31906036
I gonna do what I want faggot.
>>
>>31910748
no its because they are on frs which uses specific bands/frequencies that dont require a license. theyre also made to a certain regulation that makes it so you cant just tx on any freq. they have channels and each channel is a specific freq. 22 mile range is bullshit unless youre on the top of a mountain and your friend is 22 miles away on top of another mountain. best bet is 1-2 miles, with any handheld. hf is where its at.
>>
>>31910498
Yes but those same restrictions apply to all stations and I was drawing a distinction between amateur and commercial with an emphasis on why it's called amateur you shitloaf. Don't ever talk to me or my receiver ever again.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.