[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any /k/ommandos have some trench knife recommendations? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: DSCN3461.jpg (741KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3461.jpg
741KB, 2048x1536px
Any /k/ommandos have some trench knife recommendations? I know it's a novelty and the legality of it but I'd like to own a well made one.
>>
Disgraceful self bump
>>
>>31903508
http://www.plowshareforge.com/

$150 bucks.
>>
>>31903508
hey man. Depends on what trench knife you are looking for.

there is the M1917 which is not a knuckle duster grip, but is nasty.

the 1918 trench knife which is sort of what your picture is modeling itself after.

What you probably want is a knuckle duster knife.

As for a good knife, depends on what you want to spend. All trench knives were only good for stabbing and slashing. If you went to town on some wood or prying with them they snap. Same for a Ka-Bar, Fairbanks knife, or any other fighting knife. They are thin for stabbing, do that very well, and slashing, but are not utility knives. You can saw with them because its not putting side to side stress on the metal.

Regardless of what you get, you want to take it apart, put it back together with some locktite on all the screws etc. Oil it right. Maybe even consider finding out if the steel was tempered or not. Again man, just depends on the work you want to do.

Honestly man. Find yourself a blade you really like. Then get a pair of brass knuckles that will support the tang going through it. Mark the middle line on the handle of the knuckles, and start sawing. mark where the blade's tang has holes. line it up on the knucles. drill holes to match. Make your own damn knife. Now you have a story to go along with your stabber.
>>
>>31904264
I want one like in my first post. It's a fighting knife so that's my intended purpose (though it'll never get used).
>>
>>31904487
>It's a fighting knife so that's my intended purpose
But they're not that good as a fighting knife.
>>
File: Trinchera.jpg (121KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
Trinchera.jpg
121KB, 1296x972px
>>31903508
>>
>>31904731
are you retarded? no other knife is any good for fighting. trench knives are okay not great but okay.
>>
>>31904924
Are you retarded?

If they were any good for fighting, then you'd think they be used for more than one war a hundred years ago.
>>
>>31905006
nobody fights with knives anymore, they are the best as far as knives go, but you have to consider the decreased utility value of knife with hand-guard and the increased weight and volume.

and that is why they are not common anymore.
>>
>>31905027
oh and from ww2 and on-wards bayonet/knives were the real rage for melee anyways as trench warfare was pretty much obsolete even that was mostly a joke.
>>
Seems like I'd be better off getting some brass knuckles and a good knife. Wanted one for my happening rig. Figured it'd be neat.
>>
>>31905174
with a brass knuckle and a regular knife you would lose badly against a guy with a trench knife tho. assuming he knows his shit.
>>
>>31905204
Any knife fight you get in is going to end with both parties stabbed to shit.

For the record if you try to punch someone using knuckles without a palm brace you're going to break all your fingers, so have fun with that.

Although it kind of bags the question why you would want to punch with the knuckles of a trench knife in the first place when you could just, you know, stab them. Knuckle knives are stupid.
>>
>>31906672
The knife handle on a trench knife is the Palm brace dumbass
>>
>>31905027
Average knife fighting deaths a year 2,000, not to mention the 100s of thousand stab wounds a year... yeah no one uses them...
>>31904487
The issue with a knuckle duster is as aforementioned, you have added weight / they are clumsy compared to a tanto blade or dagger which are light and for stabbing / light slicing only. If you are looking for a collectable try a militaria dealer.
>>
>>31906672
Most stabbings the attacker never gets injured, mainly because they jump unsuspecting victims.
>>31905174
If you want a good blade for a b.o.b. something similar to this would be useful for stabbing and some utility
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-StrongArm-Fixed-Coyote-30-001058/dp/B0108CK1Q2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1478330597&sr=8-6&keywords=gerber+knife
>>
>>31903508
A Fairbairn Sykes dagger is pretty much the ideal "fighting only" knife. The issue with that is you have to pretty much be well versed in a form of MMA / special ops to use it correctly. On top of that you have to be able to be in stealth almost all the time, and no one here is a true /K/ommando. I have owned an original from WWII and it the most balanced blade I have ever held, but daggers are known for that.
>>
Can someone explain the appeal of a trench knife to me?

The way you hold a knife is completely different to the way you hold knuckledusters.
Are you supposed to shift your grip depending on whether you want to stab or punch them?
>>
>>31906962
Appeal is mostly the from the historic perspective, comparatively they were not bad compared to some of the other crude melee weapons of WWI. Picks, clubs, and shovels were more awkward to fight with. Hunting knives, bayonets and some boot knives were around too. Bolos were really late war for the most part, and sabers were not common.
>>
File: spik4[1].jpg (896KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spik4[1].jpg
896KB, 1440x1080px
>>31907047
See, I'd just take a large-ish thrust-oriented knife.
Pic related, the same kind of sticker that I've got.

One of the tomahawks that were trendy a few years ago might be decent, too.
>>
>>31906672
>Knuckle knives are stupid.
they are basically handguards.
handguards are important on a fighting weapon. all fencing daggers had large and often intricate handguards. trench knives try to keep this compact and also dual purpose yeah you can punch with them if you don't want to kill a dude that has almost all fight left him. it's not normally used to punch to but to block and deflect and immediately stab or cut.

a trench knife is more versatile only a buckler and dagger would be more versatile, but there is always an option for you to have a shovel or club or gun in the other hand or grab your opponent and pull him off balance as you fight, grab his armed hand and stab him etc...

so i really do like the trench knife it's cleverly thought out. i don't like the knuckle duster like designs but more the single band hand guard types where you can easily switch grips from forward or back.

i have done a lot of fencing with falcion the fully enclosed handguard is awesome.
>>
>>31906857
>yeah no one uses them...
how many of them are soldiers? 1-2? no one uses them in war yeah i forgot that part. knives today are mostly utility and some crazy shits use them for the heck of it or finding themselves in really deep shit, in ww1 soldiers didn't had a sidearm today it's pretty standard.
>>
File: ko0429-13b.jpg (10KB, 460x231px) Image search: [Google]
ko0429-13b.jpg
10KB, 460x231px
>>31907737
They were mainly about retention, not for blocking or even striking that much

The French nail was a popular design and you'll note that if you were to try to block anything or punch someone it would twist in your hand, other trench knives would have been more suitable for blows with the knuckles but their primary focus is always the stab with the knuckles helping to ensure that the hand doesn't slide forward or slip off the back if the blade gets stuck
>>
>>31907843
you could use a laynard for retention, that doesn't explain the handguard in entirety. also good handles will not slip out of your hand even if wet with blood. maybe if they had thick winter gloves it would slip but then the knuckleduster would also be impossible to use.
>>
>>31907843
>The French nail was a popular design
it was an improvised weapon made on the front lines for raids shit like this happens when your opponent has trench knives and your guys didn't brought any.
>>
File: 7422910_f520.jpg (74KB, 520x473px) Image search: [Google]
7422910_f520.jpg
74KB, 520x473px
>>31907843
>They were mainly about retention, not for blocking or even striking that much
no
>>
>>31907938

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_knife

>During World War II, the Mark I was issued in 1942 and 1943 to airborne troops, Army Rangers, and Marine Raiders.[14][15][16] The Mark I featured a full-tang design with a double-edged blade and a heavy bronze hilt incorporating a guard ostensibly shaped as a knuckle duster, though the latter was intended to protect the fingers and prevent the knife from being knocked from the hand while in combat rather than for use as a weapon.[13]

>>31907925
It doesn't provide the same security
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.