[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun Ownership After Counseling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: therapist1.png (162KB, 618x294px) Image search: [Google]
therapist1.png
162KB, 618x294px
Sup /k/, long story short I'm a depressed faggot who drank too much and kinda let his friends know he's in a dark place. I know there's a huge stigma with mental health and gun ownership recently with all these faggots shooting up their schools and shit, which has me worried. If I voluntarily attend counseling at my university, will that have any affect on my ability to buy and posses firearms in the future?
>>
>>31903296

Doubt it.

For now, at least.
>>
No, I do the same thing and I'm prescribed Zoloft. As long as your mental health professional doesn't think you're a harm to yourself or others, or you get institutionalized, there's no risk to your fun ownership.
>>
>>31903296
It shouldn't. You have to be involuntarily committed to fail a 4473.

The fact that you were cognizant enough to realize that you were going through a rough time and made others aware of this fact is pretty reassuring that you don't have any screws loose.
>>
>>31903296
I saw a counselor at my uni, and got prescribed some SSRI (though not officially for depression, I think. quit taking those pills pretty fast) and I can still buy all the guns I want, no problems at all.

Honestly if you're in a bad place, get out of that first. No sense drowning in depression while clinging to your guns, since you won't be able to enjoy them anyway.
>>
>>31903296

As laws stand now, so long as you aren't institutionalized you should be fine. The problem with any counseling is that there will forever be an entirely subjective record of not only your statements but another person's opinions of you and your mental health. You can not access this record unless a judge orders it and this record will never be deleted. Also, if you mention the word "gun" to a counselor it is a huge red flag. They'll say it isn't because they want you to talk, but remember that they can say one thing and write down another completely different thing and you will never know unless they choose to make it an issue.

Also remember that if you are speaking to a counselor that is in any way affiliated with a university, then that person is almost assuredly anti gun.
>>
>>31903372

>As long as your mental health professional doesn't think you're a harm to yourself or others,

That has always made me uneasy about anybody in the mental health industry. Really it's all down to their opinion. When you have a heart attack, a doctor looks at your EKG and your cardiac enzymes and determines if you are actually having a heart attack. If you're having a stroke, there are CT scans and MRIs. But depression? Totally in the eye of the beholder. You could have a decent counselor who actually listens to you and doesn't deem you to be a threat to yourself or othersearch. Or you could just as easily run into somebody who hears you say "gun", jobs something down on their little yellow pad and starts calling numbers the moment you leave. You really are at their mercy and have virtually no input into their decision.

Personally, I avoid anything to do with psychology for the same reason I would soundly refuse a polygraph: they're both entirely subjective pseudoscience. If anything, psychology is worse because it's given the gravitas of real science in the popular mind.
>>
>>31903598
I understand that concern and I myself was hesitant to get professional help because of it. But as long as you don't hurt yourself or make threats/have violent impulses you're fine. My school counselor thought that me being into shooting was good because it was a hobby that got me outside and I could interact with other people in a positive way. But I totally agree with you about polygraphs, they're shit.
>>
>>31903383
>The fact that you were cognizant enough to realize that you were going through a rough time and made others aware of this fact is pretty reassuring that you don't have any screws loose.
Ah yes, the Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get out of combat duty isn't really crazy.
>>
>>31903296
I saw a counselor for a few months and I still have my CHL here in Oregon. I think it's only an issue if you admit to thoughts of self harm, or wanting to harm others.
>>
>>31903460

>as long as you aren't unwillingly institutionalized

ftfy
>>
File: just-plain-nuts.jpg (96KB, 361x412px) Image search: [Google]
just-plain-nuts.jpg
96KB, 361x412px
>>31903598
>You really are at their mercy and have virtually no input into their decision.

This. Particularly if you state is trying to expand a preexisting protection order law.
>>
>>31903871

Yes. And depending on what state you're in, that can be amazingly easy.
>>
>>31903296

As long as you are not INVOLUNTARILY committed you are good. Simple counseling is nothing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.