[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M&P15 or Ruger-556?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (449KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
449KB, 1920x1080px
I've never bought an AR before, I also don't have a lot of money, From what I could find it looks like the Ruger 556 and the M&P15 are the best for the price. Which one would you recommend for a first time buyer?
>>
>>31902149
Honestly, they're both fine entry-level ARs. Whichever is cheaper for you is probably the best bet.
>>
>>31902149
>herpa derpa derp just build your own
>hurr durr I built my AR myself, even mined the ore out of the earth in by backyard, and it only cost me $25.76

Are build-fags the worst?

But to answer your question, go with the M&P.
>>
M&P
>>
File: 1475398479980.gif (2MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
1475398479980.gif
2MB, 260x195px
Ruger or nothing.
>>
>>31902149

I got an M&P15 which I'm actually selling or trading at the moment. I like it, it goes boom every time and is fairly accurate. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is to buy something a little more expensive and newer. They're reliable and it's never had a malfunction.

For a fellow /k/ommando, I'd let it got for $600 + shipping (depending on your state and applicable laws). Factoring in FFL fees and background check, it'd be about $650 in the end.
>>
>>31902149
M&P 15. It's been out longer. It's been tested more.

>>31902187
Explain what's wrong with building an AR.
Please. I'm waiting.
>>
>>31903756
It takes time and knowledge of firearms/willingness to learn.

I know this may take you by surprise but not everyone wants to spend time building a gun and would indeed rather just buy one for cheap off a shelf and have it work.

Building and AR isn't the solution for everyone and /k/ would be better off not trying to sell it like it is.

All that being said, if you're serious about firearms building an AR can be a smart, economic and fulfilling choice.
>>
Aero Precision AC-15M.
>>
>>31903878

If you're too fucking retarded to assemble an AR you don't deserve to own a firearm.

I'm being serious. If you can't build an AR you're a fucking retard that should be prevented from firearms ownership, because you're likely a risk to yourself and others.
>>
>>31902149
Rugers are great. The M&P is the #1 selling longarm in the country. Heads you win, tails Hillary loses.

PS: Order ammo for it NOW instead of in the post election furor.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/223/
>>
>>31903878

don't build your first ar. building makes sense if you know exactly what you want, b/c you don't need to buy superfluous bullshit.

M&P 15 is a fine first ar. the SA saint is fine too. don't go ruger
>>
Ruger has a better warranty and customer service than S&W.
>>
Is there anything wrong with the Ruger other than its now-deceased founder?

What does the M&P 15 have over the Ruger other than the rollmark? Asking as a complete noob to the modern AR market.
>>
>>31904292
>>31904298

>proprietary delta ring and barrell nut
>on an ar

nope
>>
>>31904298

The Ruger has better features and better quality, hands down, but it's not "mil-spec" 100% so fucking retarded milfag autists don't like it.

The M&P is 100% milspec. Which actually means it's worse quality, and with fewer desirable features.

Just look at the Ruger page for the AR-556 and compare the features and shit. The Ruger wins, hands down.
>>
>>31904328

>proprietary
>literally makes the rifle easier to work on with basic tools
>bad

K retard.
>>
>>31904353

>t.ruger marketing team

i know you're assblasted bc you own an inferior ar, but plz don't lead op down your path of inferiority.
>>
>>31903878
The hardest part of building an AR from a preassembled upper is putting the bolt stop roll pin in, and you can bypass all of that by going with a complete lower if you prefer. Complete lower + complete upper is easier than fucking legos and will still save you hundreds of dollars or get you a better quality rifle for a lower price.

You sound like one of those people who's always complaining about how theyre a big busy adult with lots of stressful adult things to do and you never have time for anything because oh my god you work so much god forbid you have to LEARN anything.
>>
>>31904333
Well commercial spec shit can be better but part of the appeal of the AR platform is that it's modular and can accept a wide variety of interchangeable parts and that's worth more than just autism.
>>
>>31904369

>a post with literally zero arguments or evidence

Ok S&W shill, maybe tell your marketing team they should update their shitty website with all these features that make the M&P 15 so much better, when it's literally inferior in every possible way.

>inferior aluminum
>inferior finish
>inferior barrel

What the fuck are you trying to tell us?
>>
>>31904393

The only thing that MIGHT not be compadible with their barrel nut is esoteric as shit hand-guards from boutique manufactures.

At the point that barrel nut compatibility might, MIGHT be an issue, you're already so far out of the price range you're talking about for a basic AR that it's a complete non issue.
>>
>>31904417
Hmm. Good to know. I'll start adding them to my list of ARs to recommend to poorfags.
>>
>>31902149
Does anyone else hate the fucking M&P billboard S&W puts on the lower? It looks so tacky and cheap, I wish they'd just have a clean magwell.
>>
>>31904401
>i...i'm not a shill, you are!

it's literally a wash except for Ruger's shit-tier proprietary parts. and the fact you're paying extra for them
>>
>>31904459

The M&P GENUINELY HAS

>S&W uses inferior aluminum upper and lower, Ruger is 7075-T6 forged
>S&W has inferior finish that looks like cheap as shit semi-gloss paint, Ruger is flat matte hard coat anodized
>S&W has an inferior 4140 Steel barrel, Rugers is cold hammer-forged and chrome lined 4140. S&W is also 1:9 twist which is inferior to the Ruger's 1:8 twist which is optimal for 62gr and 77gr loads.
>Ruger is easier to work on without specialized tools
>Ruger's flash suppressor is better than the A2 birdcage on the M&P
>Trigger guard on the M&P is integral, while the AR-556 has a modular trigger guard.
>Ruger has chrome plated internals, M&P is not coated.

The Ruger in superior in literally every possible way.

Basically you're another poorfag who bought an M&P and think it's literally the best possible rifle for the money because you're stuck with it and don't want to ever consider having buyer's remorse, faggot.

Prove me otherwise.
>>
>>31902845
I can buy a new M&P Sport II for $625...why would I pay more for yours?
>>
>>31904736

Oh, also the Ruger has a better grip than the S&W.

The S&W Grip is a fucking piece of garbage with that stupid finger swell.
>>
>>31904736
You're shilling hard

Too bad Ruger is garb quality in every weapon they make, and s&w isn't
>>
>>31904830

>he just keeps baiting
>>
>>31904369
>>31904459
>>31904830
Either a legit "muh milspec ez bettur becuaz MILUHTAHRIE UESES ET DUMMIE!@!!!"

or just a very shitty troll, if the former rather than the latter, it's interesting, a rare specimen of a dying breed, we should capture him, and put him in captivity so we can study him like small pox so we can find out how to prevent him from spreading his virus.
>>
>>31904328
they aren't proprietary. you can replace the delta ring with a normal one, and the barrel + FSB can be replaced as well.
>>
>>31903756
Nothing is wrong with it, but you elitist snobs are so fucking annoying and fail to see that some people just want to buy an AR that's already made and proven to work.
>>
>>31904246
Nice B8
>>
The original first gen M&P Sport was very good and then S&W cheaped out and swapped it for a shittier barrel and cheaper furniture and it's just not worth it anymore
>>
>>31902845
>(depending on your state and applicable laws). Factoring in FFL fees and background check, it'd be about $650 in the end.
What? Sellers don't do background checks or have to pay fees based on the destination state's laws.
>>
>>31904246
>>If you're too fucking retarded to assemble an AR
Installing the barrel and freefloat handguard require special tools/skills and many people, while willing to learn eventually, don't want to be bothered with. It's possible to screw up an expensive part on their first rifle, or not do it right and the gun has issues later on. There is no need to make the process of just acquiring a rifle more difficult than necessary. You do realize that every other model of firearm comes from the store pre-assembled, right? But for some reason, for you people, AR's are special snowflake guns that need to be assembled piece-by-piece, to the owner's preferences. This is why the Colt LE6920 and S&W M&P Sport II exist.
>>
>>31904788

Because it's not a sport? It's their Optic Ready Carbine. Has the plastic handguard, but a flat front sight post so you can put a flip-up there. Also, a flat receiver.
>>
>>31906929

Yeah, but I'm not gonna ship a non-compliant AR to Cali or whatever.
>>
>>31904333
Having owned many Rugers, I strongly doubt that the Ruger is better quality.
>>
>>31902187
wow the nogunz came out of the woodwork pretty fast this time
>>
>>31905023
buy completed lower: $180, PSA
buy completed upper with BCG: $300, PSA
put two pieces together, push two pins in.

congrats you have a decent AR for ~$500

or you could be a lazy poorfag and not learn anything and buy a $650 M&P, then hate the accessories and spend another $200-500 upgrading those
>>
>>31906952
>special tools/skills
jesus christ guy just stop fucking posting, you clearly don't own a fucking firearm and it's really obvious
>>
>>31906960

Having owned enough S&Ws to have sold every one of them except my wheelguns and would never buy never another S&W ever again (including their wheelguns because I hate their company now), I strongly doubt the M&P 15 is the better buy or even has comparable quality.

Ruger has the best CS of any firearms company I've had to deal with, and I've had to deal with firearms companies for almost every gun I've owned, with one notable exception being my CZ 805, which has never given me a single issue, even a minor one.
>>
>>31906995

I agree with you completely, but PSA stock is wiped out by panic buyers.

If you're looking to get something before the election, you're SOL for the most part right now.
>>
Ruger is harder to work on. Not an issue with the machining, but the detents and springs are way to fucking tough. So it's like you need a punch to even open the upper and lower.
>>
>>31904736
>>Ruger has chrome plated internals, M&P is not coated.

I question this specifically. I recall that being the opposite, and one of the only sticking points on the Ruger to me. I prefer chrome lined, and I'm 90% sure the Ruger isn't.

t. Ruger fanboy
>>
>>31907025

Have you tried looking at their fucking website, kid?
>>
>>31902149
I like Delton personally: they're about the same price range.

Of the two you mentioned I'd recommend the M&P

Protip: a lot of AR's are bone dry when you buy them.
Take out the bolt carrier ans the charging handle and just lube the fucker up or it'll misfire like a bitch.
>>
>>31907001
Not an argument. Do you want me to list them for you? Because if you "know about guns" like you claim, you shouldn't need me to do that.
>>
>>31907008
People only care about the customer service of a gun company when they make shit guns, like Ruger, Lelkek and Taurus.
>>
>>31904276
>I work for Ruger
>Got mine for $430

It's a great starter AR, just swap out a few parts and you're golden.
>>
>>31902283
What the hell happened here?

I get that the mag was blown out, but....I don't get how.
>>
>>31902283
If I remember correctly it does that if water gets in the gas tube.
>>
>>31906954
Honestly that's a pretty good deal.
>>
>>31904799
Ruger decided to make a proprietary front sight post. That looks just like an A2 sight post.
How can you defend this?
>>
A friend of mine works for Vance's, a huge LE supplier. I asked him the same question. He said flat out get the M&P. Said that they send lot of Rugers back to get repaired because the Ruger quality control machine is crap.
>>
File: 20161031_204305.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161031_204305.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>31902149
Get the m&p. The Ruger has a proprietary Delta ring iirc.

Or just spend 30 minutes putting a PSA kit together for $450 and spend the difference on mags. A hammer, punch, screwdriver, masking tape and one YouTube video later you just saved $150 at least.

Pic is a $400 PSA kit +$50 Anderson lower that I put together on Halloween. The upper (harder part) is complete when it hits your doorstep. I've done 9 PSA kits for myself and friends.
>>
File: 1473616161423.jpg (43KB, 347x426px) Image search: [Google]
1473616161423.jpg
43KB, 347x426px
nigger, just build one. prebuilts ARs are for plebs
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 640x1136px
What is the cheapest build/buy with a billet upper you guys can find? I don't know much so my research has been fruitless.
>>
>>31907596
I'm interested, which parts did you swap out? That gas block or the flip up rear sight?
>>
>>31902187
Kek
>>
File: 1468635909158.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1468635909158.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>31906995
Oh look! He's at it again!

See? Instead of answering the man's question, build-fags immediately resort to scoffing at the idea of buying pre-made.
>>
I went with the Ruger. Got it for just under $600. It works, and for the price point I don't feel bad about beating on it.
>>
>>31908427
>>Or just spend 30 minutes putting a PSA kit together for $450 and spend the difference on mags. A hammer, punch, screwdriver, masking tape and one YouTube video later you just saved $150 at least.
>
>Pic is a $400 PSA kit +$50 Anderson lower that I put together on Halloween. The upper (harder part) is complete when it hits your doorstep. I've done 9 PSA kits for myself and friends.
The tools required to put it together will make up for the $150 he "saved."
>>
>>31910185
I listed the tools needed in the text you quoted. Nothing there is expensive and generally owned by most people. You may need a castle nut wrench I bought mine on Amazon for $7. Even then you can tighten it by tapping one of the notches with a punch and a hammer.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.