[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Base for Modern General Purpose Rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: scout rifle lookup.jpg (40KB, 420x216px) Image search: [Google]
scout rifle lookup.jpg
40KB, 420x216px
Hello all. I'm building a handy, lightweight rifle for hunting and active target shooting. The rifle will be based on Cooper's scout rifle concept with a few changes. Here's the requirements list:

- .308 caliber
-Overall length of 39 inches or less
-Weight unloaded and with scope/sling: 7.7lbs
-Able to mount traditional optic (not scout)
-Detachable Box Magazine
-Backup open sights preferred
-Low profile/not tactical looking
-effective from 0-500 yards

Here's the list thats already on the excel spreadsheet:

Browning X-Bolt Micro Midas
Browning BLR Lightweight
CZ 557 Sporter Short Action
Howa Scout Rifle
Howa Ladies Rifle
Howa Alpine Rifle
Howa 1500 Hogue
Howa Youth Rifle
Mossberg MVP Patrol
Mossberg MVP Patrol-Thunder Ranch
Mossberg MVP Predator
Mossberg MVP Scout
Mossberg Patriot Youth Super Bantam
Remington Model 7 Laminate
Remington 700 SPS
Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical
Ruger American Compact
Ruger American Predator
Ruger Gunsite Scout 16.1
Ruger Gunsite Scout 18.5
Ruger Hawkeye Compact
Ruger Hawkeye Standard
Savage 11 Scout
Savage 11 Hog Hunter
Savage 10 Trophy Hunter
Savage 11 Trophy Hunter
Savage 11 Youth Trophy Hunter
Savage 11 Lady Hunter
Savage Axis/Axis II
Steyr Scout
Steyr Pro Hunter
Tikka T3/T3x CTR
Tikka T3/T3x Compact
Winchester 70 Featherweight Compact

Am I missing any of your favorites? Rifles can be "out of spec" and still be considered...bottom metal kits and gunsmiths exist, afterall. The optic will be an illuminated 1-6x or 1-8x 24mm. It'll be 16-24oz. Thanks all!
>>
Just get a Ruger Gunsite 18.5" .308
Use the magpul aics short action mags
Mount 1x6 scope at traditional position

Trust me anon.
>>
>>31900053
What's your budget? Unless you want to spend 400$ or less, there is no point in getting the Savage Axis, the Ruger Predator, or similar budget rifles.
>>
If you are just building one gun why do you need a list of all of them? Just pick one off your long ass list already.
And what exactly do you plan to change from cooper's idea that you can't just buy one of the scout models you have listed?
>>
>>31900053
If you're willing to spend 1500 checkout the kimber mountain ascent.
>>
Bubba'd Mosin
>>
a Steyr scout already fits the bill perfectly and is of high quality. if it's within your budget I'd go with the Steyr.
>>
>>31900053
The Hog Hunter doesn't have a detachable magazine. It's a great rifle though. I use it for hunting with a supressor.
>>
>>31900053
Get a Mossberg MVP in 308

put this on it

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/optics/riflescopes|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104535180/leupold-reg-vx-2-riflescope/2195085.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Friflescopes%2Fleupold%2F_%2FN-1100246%2B1000003881%2FNe-1000003881%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104535180%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DGEMINI%257COpt_Leupold_Riflescopes-General%257CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700009861240013%26gclid%3DCPC6rfT7j9ACFcJONwodle8ABQ%26gclsrc%3Dds

Get a Rhodesian sling

Get some p-mags

and be done with it

If you want to go special snowflake get a old remington 700 in 308 and get a gunsmith to cut it down to 18 inches and do the same things I just mentioned save the p-mags since you dont lose internal mags

Why do all of you people have to make shit so hard and make lists as long as santa's list?
>>
>>31900359
The ruger fails weight and to mount a traditional optic you lose the rear sight. I'm looking for other options. Also, doesnt the ruger only use proprietary ruger mags?

>>31900378
I'm open to quite a bit....would like to keep it under 800ish since nearly every rifle will need gunsmithing work (add detachable mag, shorten barrel, add sights, etc) .

>>31900730
Proper research. I'm hoping fellow anons will look at the list and tell me I missed a likely gun. As far as changes, compare my list to Cooper's. I don't want a long eye relief scope. I don't need anything with compatability to stripper clips. I believe EVERY modern rifle should hit his accuracy targets... oh and I dont need a three point sling. I want to learn to use a Rhodesian sling to brace though.

>>31900783
Will check it out. Thank you anon.

>>31901583
It's hard to beat...but still requires proprietary mags and has the same problem as the gunsite...pt a traditional optic on, lose the rear sight. I think theres a low profile wilson sight out there though...will look into it.

>>31901648
CDI sells bottom metal and fits it for a total of 216 dollars plus s+h. the rifle then takes AICS plastic and metal mags. You like the accuracy on it?

>>31901791
1. Mossberg is going to be heavier than I want. I can live with that...especially if I go with that scope.

>Why do all of you people have to make shit so hard and make lists as long as santa's list?

because I like to research rifles. Lets me consider every option before settling for x . Plus I can't be the only one to have fun doing this.
>>
>>31901791
MVPs are ok but the bolt is wobbly. Excellent for the mag compatibility though and worth the 500 dollar price tag.

Imo there's no reason to no reason to not just shell out the little extra for the ruger gunsite.
>>
>>31902076
Yeah you used to have to buy the shitty proprietary ruger mags but now you can use the short action aics magpul mags in the gunsite scout. They fit perfectly.
>>
>>31902076
>because I like to research rifles. Lets me consider every option before settling for x . Plus I can't be the only one to have fun doing this.
you aren't. and this instance you have saved me time researching cause your criteria is A+. Saving this for when I am no longer poor fag
>>
>>31902076
Fyi your budget is very low for what you want. Ive trialed and errord my way to building my set up and i spent quite a bit before i figured it out.

Now having said that, the one thing youre gonna have trouble doing is making the weight requirement. Youre rifle, with a sub 1000$ budget, is not gonna be less than 9lbs with optic. Now, if thats fine with you, i can give you 2 options.

Rem 700 bdl
>has iron sights already, and traditional optic placement
>multiple affordable chassis and stocks that are drop in and allow use of aics mags.
Luckily magpul makes aics mags now, before there was only one source and cost 60$ for 5rnd and 90$ for 10rnd

Savage hog hunter(may be called something else now)
>has iron sights and can put traditional optics
>cheapest msrp, its like 600$
Negative is savage has proprietary mag set up and is annoying as shit to work with their shop.

So those fall under your budget.

This is what i ended up with:
>win70 featherweight 308, 16in
>mcmillan hunters edge with aics mag box
>master folding front sight, folding leaf rear
>swfa fixed power 6x scope
>2 point gi web sling
Cost 1300$

The gunsmith i used was expensive for cutting barrel and welding front sight and dovetailing rear sight. Luckily the action and trigger of the gun was perfect. Highest expense was the stock because i had to send gun in, and i waited 5 weeks for it.

Ill list a couple of past scout style rifles now:
>Rem700 bdl 22in 30-06, xlr element chassis, 3-9 scope, 9.5lbs with loaded mag, 1100$
>Savage 11 16in 308, custom rear folding peep on rear of rail mount and front globe sight, mcmillan lightweight stock, 1-4x vortex pst, 8lbs loaded

Ended up selling the rem 700 due to unable to meet weight goal of less than 8lbs loaded. The savage was my success, but upgraded to the win70 after feeling one in person(its that good).

One of the most difficult projects is deciding on a rear iron sight. Dovetail rear is best option. If featherweight, weld front sight.
>>
Ill bite, what is the point of having the scope that far forward?
>>
>>31903366
You know what an acog and eotech are? Well, Before those existed, they put low power scopes up front to serve the same purpose.

Not being sarcastic
>>
>>31903394
Forgot to add, use of stripper clips
>>
>>31902344
Will post completed excel screen on here Monday evening.

>>31903318
800 was rifle only and the Winchester 70 featherweight compact is high on my list. Cdi precision makes bottom metal and inlets the stock included in price . Cost is 215. The Winchester was that good?
>>
Weatherby's Howas are slightly different, check those out.
>>
>>31903797
Will add some weatherbys to the list.
>>
Autism: the thread
>>
>>31903938
im prob gonna get a weatherby in .223 as a general purpose rifle

you cant hunt small game with .308

you can kill small to large game with .223
>>
>>31903622
Winchester is toptier in my books. So fucking smooth.
>>
>>31905255
I'm tempted to go >>31903318 rote, bt maybe keep the wood stock. the gun is sub-6lbs with a 20 inch barrel...cant imagine inletting, replacing bottom metal, and adding sights will move the weight up too much net.

Besides, if I read the mcmillan website right, its 750+ for the winchester featherweight, 636 for the stock and inletting, 220 for the actual bottom metal, and gunsmithing front sight and shorten barrel from there. OW. 950ish vs 1500ish...
>>
File: IMG_1517.jpg (37KB, 1024x248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1517.jpg
37KB, 1024x248px
>>31900053
Tikka C19 Arctic, the Canadian Ranger's new rifle. Still waiting for it to be released but it meets your requirements
>>
>>31905372
I really should put that on the list, but that 2700 CAD price tag, plus the 210 CAD per mag means that I wouldn't touch it. For $2400 dollars I'm starting to look at custom builders. And those custom builders would make it take 30 dollar magpul AICS.

But for completion's sake I'll add it to the sheet...my mind just automatically went "fuck that!" when I tried earlier.
>>
>>31905285
Ya im both those people. If you want you can go win70 alaska. Comes with iron sights, that way you can just throw on a scope and be done with it. Honestly mags are meh. Can push 5 rounds just as fast as insert mag. I just remembered another option, CZ. I havnt personally held one but i hear the quality is good.

Also, fyi the 10 rnd mags are cumbersome.

Also, rear sight options are a bitch. Look up brocks pop up peep sight. I really wanted to get that, but dude wouldnt work with me. Refused to do the sights on any modern rail. Also options for NEW win70 mounts are a bitch. There were like 2 offerings when i first looked last year. I ended up having to order one from brownells, the screws didnt match, so i made my own and perma fixed the mount to the receiver.

Also if you go rem 700 route, make sure to get a non parkerized one because the bolts are rougher. Also switch out the bolt knob for a round one because the stock one is pretty much flat and annoying to use when a scope is mounted.
>>
>>31905793
Forgot to mention, i went mcmillan because i couldnt find a reputable smith to inlet the stock for mag box. So i said fuck it might as well have it done right and +200 i got a lighter stock with the mag box.

Fyi if you get a stock win70 without iron sights, make sure your smith knows how to weld shit for the front sight, i lived in san fran area in CA at the time and i couldnt find one smith comfortable with welding the front sight within 300 miles. I ended up going with the guy nearby who said he was willing to cover any damages in case he fucked it up. He literally taught himself how to weld in order to do the job. I had him do all my barrel work for future guns as well. First job was on the savage, and when i got the win70 i had him do everything.
>>
>>31905793
You've been a fountain of information, sir. When you did the mcmillan stock order, did that price include the AICS bottom metal or did you have to buy it separately?

After entering half the rifles onto the spreadsheet, two things are clear:

1. Mossberg needs to actually fuck weigh and measure their rifles. They cant all be 7.5lbs, assholes.

2. I'm leaning to the remington 7 laminate or the winchester 70 featherweight compact. both are close to good weights. Both have AICS magazine support from CDI precision. The winchester would need a separate trip to the smith for barrel shortening (I like 18 or so inches) and adding a front sight....but everyone raves about their win70 and I'm still leery of anything remington puts out.

Sadly the alaskan doesn't come in 308, a caliber I already stock and reload for. Thanks though.
>>
>>31905867
I believe it was 50$ extra for the inlet on the stock. Stocks worth it though. Mcmillan has amazing CS.

Dont get a mossberg. The action is rougher than a ruger gunsite. Ya it will take mags, but having a rough action is annoying in the long run.

Im of the buy once cry once mind set. And imo higher quality shit is always gonna set your mind at ease when your thinking damn i wish this bolt was smoother. I had that problem with a rem 700 and i could NEVER get the action even close to as smooth as my stock win70. I have 2 rem 700, a blued and a parked. Blued comes with a stainless steel jeweled bolt and parked is parked. Stainless is much smoother, but the locking lugs on the rem bolt is too solid. If you ever handeled a rossi 92 lever without a slick action job it feels like that. Like youre literally turning a stiff door knob over a hill. Now i may be nitpicking, but smooth is smooth. Might as well get something good for 150$ more. Also look at surgeon bolt actions, they are slicked up rem 700 that are VERY smooth. I recommend this if your just gonna build one from scratch.

Back to the win70, very hard to find one in 308. So good luck with that. Also, if you do happen to find a compact featherweight, then youre right you can stick with that. I wouldnt worry to much about box mags since they are kinda meh. Do find a good mount for it, when i looked badger ordnance was the other brand besides brownells, but after 2 weeks i never heard a email response to make sure they had the right mount.

Optic wise, i recommend a fixed power scope vs variable. It fits in with the scout concept better imo. And like i said earlier go the dovetail rear sight route, its the best option.
>>
>>31905948
Again, thanks for your insights. I'm calling it a night here and hope you have a great weekend.

The one thing I can count on is finding a gunsmith comfortable with welding. I'm in northeastern WI, land of a million fudds and home to the headquarters of Miller Electric ;) .
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.