[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright so most people here use JHP for their carry. But what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Alright so most people here use JHP for their carry.
But what about others?
Does anyone use soft point? Plastic-tipped hollow point? Semi-wadcutter or wadcutter?
And is there any reason to actually use FMJ?(not trying to shit on it, I'm actually trying to know the pros and cons of different ammo before I actually carry with it)
>>
>>31896445
Fmj shouldn't be used because it penetrates too much, however some people recommend using fmj in much smaller calibers, like 7,65, because hollow might not penetrate enough. If I was carrying for wildlife defence, I'd probably go for fmj.

Wadcutter is pretty much only for target shooting.

Do they even make plastic tips for pistols?

Soft point is mostly a rifle thing, but some "magnum" revolver loads have them. Not many people carry 44s around.
>>
>>31896575
The plastic tips are mostly for lever action guns. I actually have some for my winchester 30-30 that was passed down from my grand father. If someone were to brake into my home while I was in a certain room then hornady leverevolution 30-30 will be my HD round.
>>
>>31896445
38 spc full wad cutter for a while
>>
>>31896867
NY this is a good legal option for many. I never rule out semi or full wad cutters after seeing the results on a pig. But for most rounds it depends on the gun. What is more effective in a short barrel may be meh in a long barrel so it pays to know your weapon first
>>
>>31899114
Woah holy shit why
Not saying it's bad. I've just never known anyone who carries wadcutter.
>>
File: ya.jpg (246KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
ya.jpg
246KB, 880x660px
i carry this because fuck it
>>
>>31899299
Was thinking of doing the same. If only I had a coonan compact.
>>
File: hornady2.gif (103KB, 425x340px)
hornady2.gif
103KB, 425x340px
Little brother carries around 158gr Federal round nosed lead ball in his model 10. When OP said plastic tipped it made me think of the Hornady Critical Defense rounds
>>
>>31899250
Not him, but I seen ballistic gel tests that have it in the 12-18 inch penatration range. It also will not have much recoil either.
>>
>>31899114
>>31899250
>>31899466
Girlfriend has them for her nightstand revolver, she lives in a second story apartment that's laid out in such a way that over penetration was a serious issue for her, and considering how hard it was to convince her to get a gun to protect herself in the first place I wasn't going to push the issue.
>>
>>31896445
I carry fmj because the chances of me shooting through glass is so high due to the fact I'm almost always at work or at home where I have my AR.
>>
>>31899344
I'm not sure those would feed too well in a coonan
>>
>>31896445

I carry FMJ to guarantee penetration. The larger wound channel of a hollow point doesn't do much good if it doesn't penetrate enough to hit anything vital.
>>
>>31899511
Also what I forgot to say also is: They can get optimal penatration out of a sub 2 inch barrel. Which makes them good loads for small ccw.
>>
>>31899250
Answer to your question at the time I had a snub nose and decided to go for weight/deformity of the bullet........ ended up having to use it on both wild dogs and hogs (upgraded to 357 4inch later) and it got the job done better than expected. Also was gifted like 200 of them so why not
>>
>>31899556
Experience confirms
>>
>>31896445

No point in spire point for most of the common calibers. You'd need to get over 1800fps, if not 2000fps, for reliable expansion in tissue.

I'm not even sure .454 Casull gets that fast.
>>
>>31899540
What kind of shit jhp have you used?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.