[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would this knife or one of a similar design fare for self defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_0941.jpg (175KB, 2074x1555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0941.jpg
175KB, 2074x1555px
How would this knife or one of a similar design fare for self defense?
>>
Is pretty good for stabbing people, aim for the arteries.
>>
>>31896441

Great for assassination but not ideal for fighting. Fairbairn agreed with this which is why he invented the Smatchet.

An Ek Commando Knife is a good middle ground between the two.
>>
>>31896497
>Great for assassination but not ideal for fighting.

Develop your hypothesis
>>
File: 20160706_183633.jpg (342KB, 757x528px) Image search: [Google]
20160706_183633.jpg
342KB, 757x528px
>>31896441
Decent, shame about that shoddy fit and finish though
>>
>angry Italian shrieking intensifies
>>
>>31896502

Fairbairn's FS knife is razor sharp and thin. It absolutely excels at entering soft areas such as the kidneys and neck via stabbing motions. It can slash but this is not the FS knife's ideal implementation. It will work for self defense encounters but it lacks the weight and thickness you'd want in a fighting knife, pretending you didn't get a shit repro and actually got a legit FS knife it was well documented by the OSS and Marine Raiders that when they were used as fighting knives they were subpar (failing to penetrate the skull and tips chipping off during a violent encounters).

Sneaking up on a sentry is entirely different from a self defense situation where you would want a fighting knife; a thicker blade that could smash through a skull and whose blade didn't come to a fine, narrow, and fragile point.
>>
Take it from someone who is paid to protect people, knives generally make terrible self defense weapons for the average person. If you aren't trained in how to use a knife, don't pack one for self defense. Too many people think they can use one and end up hurting themselves.
>>
>>31896441
Don't use knives for SD if you can help it, if you and your attacker end up struggling for the knife there's a chance that you'll end up getting yourself stabbed to death. Buy a gun that's easy to conceal if you can afford one and it's legal.
>>31896502
They're ideal stabbing weapons, necks and vital organs. A stabbing centric blade is best used in a surprise attack when your target is standing relatively still and you can easily strike vital organs with your first blow, thus maximizing the speed with which your enemy will die after being first stabbed.
>>
>>31896517
Wut?
>>
File: 058-3.jpg (103KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
058-3.jpg
103KB, 1024x512px
Also consider the later-designed Applegate-Fairbairn. The grip is thicker and the tip tapers more abruptly to reduce chipping
>>
>>31896441
Like any other knife of similar size.

Also, yes, knifes are poor choice of self defense weapons for many reasons.
>>
>>31900410
Why?
>>
>>31896515
You need more pics.
>>
>>31896441
i'd rather have an axe or a splitting maul desu famalam
>>
File: Capture+_2016-11-04-19-15-49-1.png (3MB, 1440x1426px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-11-04-19-15-49-1.png
3MB, 1440x1426px
>>31896804
>>31900410
I 75% agree. They make defensive knives to compensate for lack of skill these days. Black Talon by Cold Steel and Matriarch by Spyderco are two examples of such. The claw shape is a naturally shaped weapon ideal for wild slashing and press-slices in close quarters.

But yeah, hostiles can have guns, so it's best of you to fight fire with fire by getting a gun if you can.
>>
>not carrying around hundreds of cheap mora's to DIO people to death

pssh, amateur...
>>
>>31896497
for a fighting knife first and foremost you want a fully enclosed handguard.
>>
>>31903020
That's just a meme, an untrained person would fare just as well with any shrap piece of metal that is roughly the same size
>>
File: things.jpg (74KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
things.jpg
74KB, 800x792px
>>31896441
they're good for shanking huns in the carotid when you jump into their support trench.
>>
>>31900410
i agree knife is shit for self defense.
pepper spray or gas alarm gun loaded with pepper-cs mix is much better. i still carry a knife in case i get into brawling with a stronger opponent and i can't afford to lose.
>>
File: jmf trench knife g.jpg (259KB, 1115x609px) Image search: [Google]
jmf trench knife g.jpg
259KB, 1115x609px
>>31903193
this is made for fighting
>>
>>31903098
>Michael Janich would disagree
>Lynn C Thompson would disagree
>not even dubs
Opinion disregarded
>>
>>31903193
>>31903261
you also don't want the tacticool knuckle-brass knives because it would be very hard to switch grip on them. you want a good old handguard.

i'm still not convinced the cold steel adaptation is not shit for this very reason. i guess it could work, but best not to have anything in the way.
>>
>>31903395
>these people that profit by the sale of these knives told me they are the best in the world
>and I agree!
>>
File: ek.jpg (268KB, 435x638px) Image search: [Google]
ek.jpg
268KB, 435x638px
>>31896497
>An Ek Commando Knife is a good middle ground between the two.

Pre-blackjack EK checking in.

I'm no expert by a long shot but I would look at a vintage Gerber mk2 if I had to carry a knife and was expecting a fight.
>>
>>31896612

The edge profile on most daggers including every FS knife I've handled is far from razor sharp.
>>
>>31903505
if i was expecting a knife fight i would take a fucking rapier and dagger.
>>
>>31903527
doesn't have to be, the slashing with knives rarely happens outside of movies. too easy to block.
>>
>>31903537
This would be ideal, I wonder if you could buy a modern one that isn't going to fall apart or break the first time you use it.
>>
>>31903549

Yet we get a full paragraph of how sharp and shitty they are, oh yeah, I almost forgot, this is /k/
>>
>>31903585
sure. despite what some fags spout about swords modern steels and metallurgy/metalworking are excellent. way better than medieval steels and craftsmanship.

avoid stainless and chink shit basically. spring steel is perfectly fine for swords. lot's of sword makers make their stuff from old leaf springs.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.