[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newer guns vs older guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

So we know the gun community has a lot of older gentlemen in it. They all claim that the quality of guns was so much better back then. I can believe it to a certain extent with some brands. We all know the the crapfest Remingshit has turned into.

But I want to know about the new production smiths. I know, I know, the lock is bullshit, luckily it is easily removed. So lock aside, how are the new production smith's compared to the older ones?

I see people bitching about how the new ones suck and the MIM parts are prone to breaking. Yet, no excessive amounts of actual complaints on their guns.

What is /k/s verdict? Are the newer smiths pretty much on par with the older Smiths? Or is there a huge difference in quality?
>>
The biggest part of the "better quality" is the fact the fit & finish was better and there was more hand work done. Hand work has gotten too expensive (polishing etc).

MIM looks like shit but is functional. Cheaper than milling a piece out because you can mill the molds once and have a coolie run the machine to crank out the parts vs pay a CNC operator to make every single piece.. .

Functionally I have noticed no difference between old Smiths & new Smiths with the exception that the 1950's & before had smoother triggers. That could either be because they are very well broke in or have better hand fitting of the parts back when labor was cheaper.
>>
>>31896349

I would agree that firearms of the past were made more so by hand and craftsmanship then automated machines.

>I see people bitching about how the new ones suck
That can be literally any new model at this point.
>>
>>31896349

I'm no expert, but I have a heathy amount of Smith revolvers, old and new
>old
10 heavy barrel
10 pencil
14 (6 inch target gun in 38 spec)

>new
642 x 2
JM .45 acp
Air lite 44 magnum
classic series 29 (3 inch)
classic 21 (44 special)
the 8-shot 357 (model escapes me, thanks age)

Honestly, I think the new guns are fine, but maybe overpriced. However, there is something about the older smiths. They feel like "real" guns. I know it's not a great description, but they have some sort of quality that the new guns don't.

All in all, I will hem and haw over buying a new gun unless it's a killer deal. I will literally jump on an older (pre-lock or pinned hammer) in a heartbeat of its in good shape.
>>
File: HPIM0732.jpg (803KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM0732.jpg
803KB, 2304x1728px
>>31896349
This pic is from a thread I did on plugging the Hillary Hole. Notice the rough machining in the recess. Don't have a pic but the inside of my 35 year old M29 is smooth as a Loli's bottom
>>
File: HPIM0736.jpg (950KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM0736.jpg
950KB, 2304x1728px
>>31900579
Another
>>
Good friend of mine worked in quality control/assurance for Remington. He quit to go to lower paying job with GE. He couldn't take it anymore.
>>
>>31900586
>>31900579
still looks like shit
>>
>>31900596
>still looks like shit

I'm not that anon but I'm pretty sure that's his point.
>>
So, is the only way to acquire a NEW good revolver nowadays to buy a god damn Korth?
>>
>>31903058
somehow vastly increase the quality of automation, or go back to hand fitting everything and pay a premium on the labor. back before 1970 or so, machinery was the expensive bit - people were cheap.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.