[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reloading starting supplies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: 785993.jpg (926KB, 2200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
785993.jpg
926KB, 2200x1650px
Looking for some pointers on everything, also, general reloading thread.Here is the list I'm planning on purchasing from Midway

Sorry this is lengthy

RCBS digital powder scale
Lee auto drum
Lee classic 4 hole turret
4 piece carbide lee dies (9 & 45)
Collet bullet puller
Primer pocket cleaner
Lee safety primer feeder (is this any good?)
>>
>>31894533
At least 1 Reloading manual, and the ABCs of reloading.
>>
>>31894570
I bought the 50th layman's manual already.
>>
>>31894698
Lymans*
>>
>>31894698
Don't forget lube and a case trimmer, and a good set of calipers.
>>
>>31895102
Don't need lube with carbide dies right? Didn't think I would need trimming for 45 and 9mm?
>>
>>31894533
Looks like a Lee kit? If it is, then you'll basically be good to go.

I've use the primer feeder, its fine. It takes a bit to get the hang of but once you get a rhythm going, its pretty easy.

>>31895102
Lube is generally included with the Lee kits. Or get carbide dies.
Definitely need calipers and a case trimmer.

I'd skip the digital scale and get calipers and a trimmer instead. Unless, of course, money isn't a concern or you're going to be sorting brass or bullets by weight - then its a must have. For powder measurement, the digital scale isn't really needed if you've got a turret press as you'll probably only be weighing charges occasionally. The beam scale in the kit is pretty touchy and takes a bit to get the hang of yet surprisingly accurate.

>>31894698
Lymans should be everyone's 1st manual. I've still got my 48th edition.
>>
>>31895244
Likely not. I don't reload pistol but I've heard they generally don't require trimming. Wait on the trimmer then.
>>
>>31895487
I wasn't actually gonna buy the kit because it includes that auto disk and I've heard its not good for fine powders. I already have calipers since I'm a machinist. Is the trimmer really only good for rifle rounds?
>>
>>31894533
I have the Lee Classic 4 hole, and been using it for about 3 years. I shoot 200 rounds a month (38 special & 30-30), and it does the trick for me. I have never had a bad round. It is a bit finicky, but I pay attention to what I'm doing.

I am looking at a Dillon now. I am tired of pulling the handle 4 times for 1 round.
>>
>>31894533
Lee safety primer is alright. I have a turret press but actually now prefer a single stage, even for pistol. The lee hand primer is great for idle times like watching movies, etc., and I recommend it. You look to be in the right track. With the lee powder drum, I would recommend running graphite through it and constantly checking your drop weights. I've found them consistent but get some surprises.
>>
File: dillon shithundred.jpg (44KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
dillon shithundred.jpg
44KB, 604x453px
>>31895603
I have a Lee progressive press that I painted Dillon blue. It now works as good as a dillon.
>>
>>31894533
OP, compare the prices at Midway and at this site, Lee Factory Sales http://www.factorysales.com/

Buy from whichever is cheaper.

Also wait for Midway to put their Lee merchandise on sale, which is usually more frequently than you'd think.
>>
>>31895658
All the rbcs shit has rebates. Like $75. Have been checking midway every week for sales, but nothing good ever pops up. I'd like to buy powder locally so no hazmat fee, and I already have brass and bullets. Would like to also buy everything I would need from midway in one shot.
>>
>>31894533
That's a good list. The lee auto drum is amazing too. Lightyears better than that auto disk bullshit they had.
>>
>>31895567
Mine sticks when I load fine pistol powders. I have to push the disc back after every round. I got a good rhythm down so its not that bad anymore but still annoying.
>>
>>31895606

+1 on hand priming

Also, get a shit load of decapping pins if you'll be de-priming used brass.

Get a good set of digital calipers.

Get a notebook and keep meticulous notes. You'll play with seating depth, charge weights, and bullet weights. You'll find that a certain load is shit but seating the boolit deeper improves accuracy. Need to be able to track which load is which.

Kinetic bullet puller for all the times you're gonna fuck up.
>>
>>31895567
>>31895567
>I wasn't actually gonna buy the kit because it includes that auto disk and I've heard its not good for fine powders
I can't speak to that component but regarding a kit vs buying, I started with a Lee kit. I found it was easier and cheaper to just get a kit as I really had no idea what I was doing. Of course, I've ended up replacing a number of things over 10+ years with better components. So right off the bat if it contains components you know you're going to replace shortly, there is no sense paying for them then.

>Is the trimmer really only good for rifle rounds?
Pistol rounds don't generally grow too much if at all. Keep an eye on the length and if you need to trim, then get a trimmer.
>>
Case gauges are a must, buy one for every dye set you get.

You should also look at getting the frankford arsenal case trimmer. Trimming by hand is brutal and when you end up sizing and trimming 500 casings, you will want one.

Die bushings, you want them, you need them

I dont know if you are already set on a press but Hornady was running a deal where if you buy a press, you get a rebate of 500 projectiles of your choice.
>>
>>31895866
>case trimmer
>for pistol brass
lol
>>
>>31895648
Why didn't I think of that. Save a bit of $ I will.
>>
>>31895866
The L&L shit is expensive as fuck for what you get.
>>
>>31895883
well my bad, i just read the first post and gave some info.
Try not to sperg out too hard.
>>
File: ProgressivePress.png (323KB, 1212x1034px) Image search: [Google]
ProgressivePress.png
323KB, 1212x1034px
What's the consensus on Hornady's progressive press?
>>
>>31896140
Bout a 4.3/5
>>
>>31896150
Good call, but I don't trust website reviews.
I left that in the image as a joke.
>>
>>31896140
I have one.
Hard to say if they are the best since its the only press i'v owned, but i'v had no real issues with mine.
>>
>>31896140
I've got one. Only issue i've had is with auto priming arm fucking up but it's just an annoyance and probably my fault. It's a big change from single stage loading or Turret loading. Get a powder cop, bullet feeding die, auto feeder or the feed tubes and you'll be able to pump out rounds like crazy. The only thing I do other than pull the lever is put brass on the disc which I could auto feed too.
>>
>>31896304
What is the problem you are having with your priming arm?

Is gun powder getting in there and causing it to not fully close or is it now grabbing a new primer?
>>
>>31896374
Not**
>>
>>31896304
>pump rounds out like crazy
Ever been in a relationship where the personal time matters?
>>
>>31896622
Married with kids. Which is why it's important I can make the most of my time.
>>
>>31896374
Sometimes on the upstroke the guide rod? will pop out of the little divot in the base. Like I said I think it's just me and finding a good smooth rhythm.
>>
>>31896995
That rod can be adjusted. I dont know if that will help fix your problem.
>>
>>31896140
I started on a Lee single-stage (which I still have and use for load development, bullet pulling, case prep, sizing cast bullets, etc), then got a Lee Classic Turret (which I'm trying to sell since I upgraded), and now I use the Hornady LnL.

The Hornady is an entirely different animal from the Lee stuff. The end result is the same: cheap, customizable match-grade ammo made by me. The difference (aside from the obvious speed benefit) is in how much fiddling around I do with the press; with the Lee turret press I was having to readjust something every 10 rounds or so, the Auto-Disk was finicky with certain powders (extruded or fine ball), the turret would fail to index occasionally, sometimes a primer wouldn't feed, etc. Once I get the Hornady set up and dialed in I can crank out rounds at my own pace without dicking around at all. I use the case feeder and a powder cop and hand-feed bullets (cast doesn't work well with the bullet feeder without modifying it and I haven't gotten around to messing with it). I'll even leave the thing set up and knock out 100 or so rounds when I get home from work until I run out of components and it starts right up every time without problems. The set-up takes a little while and is kind of touchy but once it's dialed in it stays there
>>
>>31897363
Very True on all points. One of the things I feel isn't brought up enough is just how well built the thing is. You know it's a precision tool when your using it. Also all my reloading tools and accessories started to turn Hornady red pretty quickly so be prepared for that.
>>
Redding turret is good to go? Seems to be the best on the market from my researcher
>>
>>31899915
Also the most expensive.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.