[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canada F-35/Fighter Replacement News?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: f-35-canada-mockup.jpg (498KB, 1400x942px) Image search: [Google]
f-35-canada-mockup.jpg
498KB, 1400x942px
I've been out of the loop /k/omrades, what is the latest on the F-35/Gripen/Super Hornet faceoff that the Trudeau government brought back?

Last I heard it was looking shaky for the F-35 and the Super Hornet was looking more and more likely, and then people started mentioning the Gripen again, but this was back in June or July...
>>
File: pepetime.jpg (60KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
pepetime.jpg
60KB, 550x366px
>>31887125
Why can't these useless cunts just choose a fucking replacement already? Are they worse than India yet?

They're becoming a joke.
>>
>>31887351
I'm not shocked that it is taking so long. It's been years since I lived there, but I remember Canada's government achieving basically nothing in all the years I was there. They just seem to avoid making decisions. I stopped reading about the F-35 stuff when I got busy at my work during the summer season but now I was hoping to catch up. I guess nothing has changed?
>>
>>31887125
There was talks of Canada buying Super Hornets (without a competition) to bridge a capability gap, similar to what Australia did. However, because the number wasn't specified, the capability gap argument came out of nowhere and because they wouldn't have been able to receive any Super Hornets for ~3 years after making a decision, it received a lot of political heat, with the opposition claiming they were just doing what Harper did, except without the DND's recommendation (the RCAF still want the CF-35).

Something to keep in mind too is that if any jet is picked as a capability bridge, it's going to immediately have an economic and timeline advantage in a competition; when Australia bought Super Hornets, they were already locked in getting F-35As, so it wasn't a factor. For Canada, getting Super Hornets now will very likely mean getting more Super Hornets later.

Anyway, apparently a decision is being made very soon, as to whether there will still be a competition, or an outright sole-selection (that could be hard to uphold), or if they do the capability bridging thing. As part of that, apparently General Bogdan and some others have gone to Canada, presumably to brief them on the F-35 (Lockheed, SAAB, etc had their requests to have meetings refused earlier this year, meanwhile Boeing had half a dozen or so).

Anyway, what happens is still up in the air; maybe they'll do the smart thing and get F-35s, maybe they'll go for Super Hornets to try and maintain relations but avoid going back on their election promise, maybe the Gripen will get a cost advantage and get picked for being cheap.

Personally I think it's roughly 50/50 between the F-35 and Super Hornet; Trudeau wants to appease the US militarily.
>>
>>31888911
>maybe the Gripen will get a cost advantage and get picked for being cheap.
Considering their needs, the Swede-16 isn't really anywhere close to requirements, though.
>>
>>31888996
Plus in terms of interoperability, the Super Hornet blows it out of the water, so there's really no reason to go for the Gripen over the Super Hornet.
>>
Do it for the Commonwealth
>>
We better get the CF-35
>>
>>31889111
No, do this for the Commonwealth
>>
File: RAF_F-35B_STOVL_RIAT_2016[1].jpg (961KB, 3600x2013px) Image search: [Google]
RAF_F-35B_STOVL_RIAT_2016[1].jpg
961KB, 3600x2013px
>>31889138
>>
File: 000_Par7977499.jpg (56KB, 768x447px) Image search: [Google]
000_Par7977499.jpg
56KB, 768x447px
RAFALE
>>
>>31890384
>Implying Canada's gonna pay to integrate all that shit.
>>
>>31890384
>Proprietary French 4.5 gen
Maybe if Quebec manages to secede and needs its own Air Force.
>>
>>31890451
If sidewinders could be integrated on Mirages painlessly I don't see why it would be any different with the Rafale
>>
>>31890666
>Sidewinders

Literally the only American munition the Rafale can use right now is Paveways. They can't even use JDAMs ffs.

In addition they're never going to get the level of interoperability out of the Rafale that they'll get out of the Super Hornet or F-35, since America flies both of those planes. Being able to literally fly to an allied base and have them put in a new engine for you or really do whatever needs to be done if need be is a level of interoperability the Rafale can't match. Plus America is going to be integrating new weaponry onto these aircraft all the time anyways (the SDB II for instance), so Canada won't even have to worry about future-proofing. The chance of Canada buying a non-American plane is basically zero.
>>
>>31890739
Canada is run by marxists who hate the country, ofc they could buy some retarded meme plane.
>>
>>31890739
What does that have to say with anything I said?
That's another argument entirely
>>
>>31890764
The first part is very relevant. You implied the only thing they'd have to integrate is Sidewinders, when that's very much not true. The Rafale is completely incompatible with Canada's current and future weapon stockpiles.
>>
>>31890781
No I did not, that's just an example of an American weapons system being integrated on a French platform with ease

>The Rafale is completely incompatible with Canada's current and future weapon stockpiles.
How do you know?
>>
>>31890827
I'm pretty sure that graphic is what it hypothetically could carry, not what it's actually cleared for. Hell that graphic is dated to 1998 for christ's sake, it wasn't even in service yet.

The Dassault website itself doesn't mention any of those either.

http://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/defense/rafale/a-full-range-of-advanced-weapons/

And seriously, Canada is going to pay to integrate the Harpoon, Maverick, JSOW, JDAM, Sidewinder, and probably AMRAAM? When the main point of this project is to save money? You're off your rocker. And that's just the weapons that Canada itself operates. The Rafale also doesn't support options Canada may pursue in the future, such as JASSM, SLAM-ER, SDB, and HARM (the last of which the Rafale has no equivalent for). If Canada really doesn't want to buy American, they could buy the Gripen and have at least some of those options.
>>
>>31887351
We have literally the worst procurement capabilities ever. We're well know for buying shit, cancelling it to appease voters, eternally delaying promised purchases or projects and just fucking it all up. Meanwhile, the average Joe/Jane/Jian/Jahowwaparvinder Canuck doesn't really notice either way, and the military continues to get buttfucked and forced to drag on with 40 year old gear
>Mfw the MLs are so old they were around when my father joined
>We still have fucking M113s floating around
Whyyyyyyyy
>>
>>31890456
>Implying that'll ever happen
We own those shiftless cunts, and they know it.
>>
>>31890891
My entire point is that the plane's been designed with modularity in mind, and that those weapons could probably be integrated fairly easily
Of course Canada's not going to buy Rafales
>>
>>31890923
>those weapons could probably be integrated fairly easily

Entirely speculative.
>>
>>31890939
Yes, yes it is. And so is saying it would be expensive
>>
>>31890955

Integration is never cheap and takes time.

The price of Brimstone/Typhoon is £168 million and that was considered low risk.
>>
>>31891039
Saab has integrated weapons on the Gripen for a lot cheaper than that, even as low as $85 million
>>
File: Gripen E-BR.jpg (269KB, 1024x665px) Image search: [Google]
Gripen E-BR.jpg
269KB, 1024x665px
They'll probably go for the Brazilian-made Gripen.
>>
>>31891075

Ok, well that's fantastic, but we're not talking about Gripen whose key aim is attracting lower budget air forces. We're talking about Rafale.
>>
>>31891127
The odds of Canada partnering with Brazil has to be so vanishingly small it's ridiculous. What would make you think that?
>>
>>31891193

I heard gripens will be made there because of SAAB-Embraer partnetship.

Would be cheaper for Canadians.
>>
>>31891206
Canadian Bombardier fucking hates Embraer's guts, they'd lobby the shit out of the Canadian govt to sabotage any deal that would benefit Embraer.
>>
>>31891238

Doesn't Bombardier getting sued by Embraer for exactly that?

I read that Embraer even got US govt support.
>>
>>31890827

Every god damn time the Rafale internet fanboy brigade trots out these images to try and fool the ignorant.

Rafale is integrated with Paveway.

That is the ONLY non-French munition it's integrated with. It has never been integrated with anything else.

Integration costs literally hundreds of millions of dollars on modern planes for modern munitions due to all the interlinking shit that goes on. Lacking this won't win friends from countries that have large stockpiles of non-integrated equipment or who are unconcerned with completely fucking their logistics train. ie - India
>>
>>31891472

Between the; USA, Europe (mainly UK & Italy), Israel, and Japan (if they can export weapons in future), the F-35 is going to have so many ready-integrated weapon options. In a decade or two, even Turkey might come out with something worthwhile for other users.
>>
>>31892467

As soon as F-35 gets the British version of the Meteor with the AESA seeker, then the F-35 will have officially entered cheatmode.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.