[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just graduated from /nogunz/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: ear protection.jpg (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ear protection.jpg
91KB, 500x500px
Hey /k/, I am officially no longer a nogunz faggot, just got my first AR-15 (M&P 15 Sport II), and will have an FN FNS9 by Saturday (lel IL waiting period)

I was wondering, should I invest in ear protection like pic related for when I go to the range, or are cheap earplugs acceptable ear protection? I will buy the over-the-ear ones if you say so, since I'd like to avoid paying for rental ear protection every time either way.

Also, how many mags should I stock up on for the impending race war? The shop I went to has composite 30rd AR mags for like $8 bucks a pop
>>
>>31886958
I have the same impact sports, they're nice and low profile, but it's good measure to double up for safety. Since they have volume adjustment, you'll still be able to hear fine while protecting your hearing. HEARING LOSS IS GRADUAL, do not neglect wearing earpro. As for mags, buy a fuck ton, they're cheap. Hexmags look gay, magpul mags are ok tier, if you want to ball out get lancer smoke mags. You can see how many rounds you have left, they have the best grip texture, and the feed lips are metal.
>>
Just buy any over- the-ear ones.
>>
Yes, buy those earmuffss, they're great for cheekweld with your AR.

You'll love the fns if you learn to shoot it properly(as in learn your handgun fundamentals), and you'll probably end up building your own AR if you get into it enough, but have fun either way.
>>
>>31886958
I have your pic related, but honestly the orange foam plugs work better. Normally I wear both at the same time. If you are on a budget, spend 5 bucks on a box of like 50 of the plugs.

as for mags, try and get a handful. I have like 30 but only ever really use like 3.
>>
>>31886958
The little foam plugs are fine. Sooner or later you'll want to hear what the fuck is going on, so you'll get a set of electronic earmuffs.

>how many mags should I stock up on
Five for yourself, five to loan, five or fifty more to sell on Gunbroker if things turn nasty.
>>
Yes, but I'd hold off since the Impact Sports go on sale fairly often and Black Friday is later this month. In the meantime, get these:

http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire-EarPro-EP3-Sonic-Defenders-p/sur.700.htm

They work great for hearing protection by themselves with the stoppers in, they're more comfortable than foam plugs, and they're infinitely easier to clean. When you eventually step up to the Impact Sports or some other type of electronic ear pro, you can take the stoppers out of the EP3s and wear them under your over-the-ears. If you have the volume turned up on the Impact Sports and the EP3s on without stoppers underneath, you'll be able to hear everything nice and clear while also giving yourself a bit of extra protection in case the Impact Sports don't have a perfect seal.

As for mags, stock up on Magpul PMAGs and Surefeed/D&H/Brownells aluminum mags with Magpul followers to start. As >>31886977 said, Lancer L5 AWMs are the extra-gucci option and come in quite a few different colors. Opaque Lancers will usually be around the same price as windowed PMAG M3s; transparent ones are slightly more. I wouldn't bother with the ETS mags considering you can get the transparent Lancers for a couple bucks more. Absolute worst-case scenario, buy up any USGI aluminum mags you find now and toss Magpul anti-tilt followers in them later ($5 for a 3-pack). 10 mags for each gun should be your goal, but obviously more is better.
>>
File: gucci.jpg (769KB, 2559x1508px) Image search: [Google]
gucci.jpg
769KB, 2559x1508px
Get a few lancer mags either way.
>>
>>31887111
>tfw I've got 4 smokes, 3 transparent, and 4 transparent FDE
>tfw not sure if I should get more smokes when I already have like 35 AR mags total
>>
>>31887139
buy smokes now, sell other random mags after the election if shillary gets in. Either way, drop $100 and have 9-10 nice mags.
>>
>>31887151
I've already got 11 Lancers that I mentioned, a random 20-round Lancer for bench work, plus PMAGs coming out of damn near every corner of my safe already. The "worst" mags I have are a pair of USGIs I'm going to replace the followers in and one of the old Lancer L5s that had two-piece feed lips and a jammable follower. I just have an addiction to buying mags at the moment, I think.

I really need more Glock mags and Russian AK-74 mags more than anything at the moment.
>>
>>31886958
For indoor ranges, I would want foam ear plugs AND ear muffs.

Tinnitus sucks. Trust me. Just cause a noise doesn't hurt, doesn't mean 200 of them in a 45 minute period aren't damaging your hearing.

Never know when someone is going to bust out a magnum one lane over and start touching off Buffalo Bore +++++++p rounds.

You don't want the EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee.
>>
>>31886958
>invest
>$40 earpro

Nigga you serious? That's like two mags worth of ammo.

I have them and they are good, get them.
>>
>can only buy 10/30s in jew york
>just ordered a lancer smoke, a solid FDE and a solid black
>everyone says only get the smokes

why? I think they all look cool, and since 10/30s are basically useless I basically just got them for aesthetics. I use actual 10 round pmags for the range and lying around for HD.
>>
Absolute best, price not an issue: Peltor ComTac XP and musician's earplugs, like Alpines, or even custom plugs. Block out all harmful noise, still be able to hear people whisper to you. You hearing will be fine but you will spend as much on ear pro as on a nice new rifle. ComTac XP are also the current ear pro of choice for all self respecting OPERATORS, so you will impress tacticoolfags and mallninjas.

Next best: MSA Sordin Pro with gel ear-cups + Alpine plugs or any good non disposable plugs, like Howard Leigh. Nearly as much protection for half the cost. Sordins have mics and speakers that are as good as the ComTacs but, assuming both fit you well and the same, a lower noise reduction rating.

Decent and cheap: Impact Sports and any decent plugs. Decent protection, not as much comfort, mics and speakers not as good so harder to hear. Impact Sports probably won't seal on around your ears as well as the better ear defense so possibly reduced protection. Still likely to be acceptable in virtually ass scenarios, even indoors.
>>
File: FO5Mga5.jpg (2MB, 3359x2870px) Image search: [Google]
FO5Mga5.jpg
2MB, 3359x2870px
>>31887215
There's nothing actually wrong with the other colors, but the smokes are arguably the best looking. The completely clear ones look kinda odd (all the ETS clear mags that you see on social media are actually smoke-tinted too).

Translucent FDE is a new color and looks really damn good though, IMO.
>>
>>31886958
get both.
For pistols over the ear (indoor) should be enough

rifles indoor will still give you a slight ringing in whichever side ear you're firing with.

better safe than sorry.
>>
>>31887214
it was just an example you fucking google.
>>
>>31886958
Also, OP here, should I bother with drum mags or just stick to getting a bunch of 30 rd mags for now?
>>
>>31887398
Get what you can afford.
more rounds per magazine just means you're burning money faster. I have a glock 17 and can waste $40 on ammo in like 2 minutes.
unless you're a full on prepper tinfoil go ahead and stockpile drums
>>
>>31886977
>impact sports
I made a mistake early on and bought Impact Pro. They're fine - as long as you're shooting handguns outdoors without doubling up. When you double up, the amp becomes almost useless. When you shoot long rifles, the wider profile stands in the way of the cheek weld.

>it's good measure to double up for safety
Listen to this, anon. Tinnitus is nasty.
>>
>>31887418
And I'm talking about shooting at a range.
If you are doing something outside the range that requires more rounds per mag or have a bunch of bulk ammo go for it.
>>
>>31887420
Tinnitus is love, tinnitus is life.
>>
>>31887398
Don't bother with drums unless you have a ton of cash to throw around. Most of them are heavy, expensive and unreliable, and the actual benefit you'll get as a civilian is basically nil.

The most "reliable" of them at the moment is the Magpul D60, which will run you $110-120. You can literally buy 10-12 PMAG 30s or aluminum mags for the same price. If you really want to buy above-standard capacity mags, spend $19 or so and get a PMAG 40.
>>
>>31887441
Go ahead, be my guest, have mine. Just keep it when you don't need it anymore.
>>
>>31886958
another question from OP: for my first-time cleaning, before I shoot for the first time, should I use the chemicals in the cleaning kit I bought? Or would it be sufficient to just wipe down the parts, since they have no carbon build-up on them yet?
>>
>>31888360
You should be using some solvent on a brush to clean out the chamber and barrel as well as all other moving parts before lubricating. Rifles are often put together and lubricated with nothing else done before shipping out the door.
>>
>>31887475
WHAT? YOU'RE GETTING A JEEP WHEN YOU DON'T SPEED ANYMORE? I LIKE JEEPS TOO
>>
Buy those and a big bag of ear plugs
The muffs are great for outdoors but you'll want plugs to double up indoors and to give to people.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.