[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boolets for hunting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

Will these rounds be good for hunting deer, elk, black bear in the PNW? I get under 1/2 moa with these in my raifu so I know they are accurate, but will they drop game for hunting? If not, what ammo is accurate and deadly?
>>
>>31886078
Just get some soft tip shit, it's an extra $1 a box boo hoo.
>>
>>31886078
The Matchking is for target shooting. The Gameking is for hunting. Use the Gemeking or another quality hunting bullet, like the Swift Scirocco II, Federal Trophy Tip, Winchester Powermax, or Hornady Interlock.
>>
>>31886078
>but will they drop game for hunting?
Probably but there are much much better alternatives. Like JHP or SP, for example.
Why not use ammo designed for hunting instead of sports ammunition?
>>
>>31886078
No.
Matchkings are not good hunting bullets.
>>
Get these

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900285352/winchester-pdx1-defender-ammunition-308-winchester-120-grain-jacketed-hollow-point
>>
>>31886096
This is the last post you need to read in this thread.
>>
165 or 180gr nosler partition
>>
>>31886078
Heavy bodied game, no, unless you like tracking wounded game.
>>
>>31886078
>will they drop game for hunting?
Deer...? Prolly. Bigger stuff? not so much.

>If not, what ammo is accurate and deadly?
Any plain-Jane soft nose loading in 165 to 180 grain.
>>
My favorite hunting bullet is a Barnes TSX or TTSX
>>
>FMJ BT match ammo
>for hunting
>.308
>for black bear

Fuck no, buy actual softpoint hunting ammo. I can recommend Federal Fusion, Remington Core Lokt, Winchester Powerpoint, and Hornady has a new cartridge out called American Whitetail that is supposed to be pretty good.
Literally anything that isn't FMJ is a start tho.
>>
How useful is a bipod for hunting?
>>
>>31886189
PDX1's are loaded to dump all their energy between a man's breast and back. They don't penetrate far enough for larger game (especially elk or black bear). The best bullet depends on your shot. You want it to penetrate both lungs and stop just before exiting. Or to go through the leg and into the heart. On a bear, to cause enough damage to the heart or lungs to stop them too. Hunting SP's or JSP's are typically the best option. Get heavy bullets (168gr minimum; 180gr if it cycles reliably) for heavy game.
>>
>>31886304
Depends on if you're a standfag or not.
>>
>>31886304
Useful if you're shooting from a bench or clear field. If you're going on foot and shooting crouched, it's probably unnecessary weight. Within shorter ranges, it's a big hassle and probably not worth the weight. Any obstacles you can rest it on will typically have lots of leaves nearby--and animals go running when they hear leaves crunching. For long range, it's worth its weight. Taking a 500+ yard shot with a good support is great, especially since you typically have time to spend with low risk of spooking the animal.
>>
>>31886078
Buy soft-tips. Also, fmj is outlawed for hunting in most states.
>>
>>31886078
If you want match hunting ammo, buy A-max or that new line that Hornady put out.
>>
>>31886078
Where I live it would actually be considered not only unethical but also illegal to hunt with a full metal jacket bullet
>>
they drop people ask the military
>>
>>31887550
I called the military and asked them, they said I should still hunt with soft points and then recommended that I perform intercourse with myself.
>>
>>31886078
I say yes, and I don't give a fuck what anyone else says. I care about accuracy and shot placement more than bullet type. And if you are hunting long range, no bullet is going to do shit after about 350-400 yards anyway.

Funny how with self defense, people are like shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. But with hunting, people are bullet type, bullet type, bullet type.

If an open tip match is legal in your area, have at it.
>>
>>31888408
agreed, although GMM is an expensive as fuck round OP
>>
no. .308 175 SMKs are actually decent at hunting and commonly used on elk but the 168s are not. match bullets are finnicky in this way. as far as hunting goes, when in doubt, use a fast barnes bullet - 130gr or so for a .308, not the 165s. 168 SMKs arent even that good at long range shooting because they rapidly lose stability once the velocity drops into the transonic range. 155 scenars float along much better, and kill game as well.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.