[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War stories and fact checking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: horrors_of_WW1.jpg (12KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
horrors_of_WW1.jpg
12KB, 350x263px
I was told a story by my father last year about a great uncle that served in WW1. The story goes
>Your great uncle served in WW1 but never would talk about it. I often pestered him for a story but he would just be dismissive.
>Only once did he tell a story about the war and it was never spoken of again. He was fighting in the trenches and spoke of being bombarded for days and men passing out from exhaustion. A few hours after the bombing stopped a call went out that a gas attack was incoming. Most got their mask one and then began to help others. Some died in their beds to exhausted to rise.
>after taking a german trench a room was found with gore overflowing. It was determined that the Germans were running out of ammunition and where rendering the fat of their fallen soldiers for explosives.

I cannot find reference of this in my searches. Whats your opion /K/?
>>
>after taking a german trench a room was found with gore overflowing. It was determined that the Germans were running out of ammunition and where rendering the fat of their fallen soldiers for explosives.
holy fucking shit, that's metal as fuck
>>
>>31883101
>the Germans began to amuse themselves by putting a bullseye on a biscuit box and letting us use it for a target. We then returned the compliment and set up a similar bullseye for the Teuton boys
>Sergeant Pichette was a wag. He put an old derby on a stick and ran along the trench as if it were a man, and the Germans fired at it. He would pull the hat down occasionally to make the enemy believe that the man under it had been shot, but soon afterward he would raise it again
>One day the Germans threw over a bit of paper wrapped around a stone. "If you don't fire on us, we won't fire on you," some one had written. We kept that strange pact for days, until the officers, discovering this pact of peace, moved us to another part of the trenches
>Some months later, curiously enough, we found ourselves opposite the same regiment. Steadfastly we kept our treaty of peace they kept moving a regiment from one part of the trenches to another, that we might not get too friendly with our enemies. We had no heart in the butchery

source http://jfredmacdonald.com/worldwarone1914-1918/canada-16horrors-trench-fighting.html
>>
>>31883101
>Be a soldier in WWI, fighting in the trenches. Supplies barely get through, hunger and cold are life.
>Die from something. Get butchered for my fat
>Jokes on you fuckers! All that work, almost no fat left.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just seems like a better use of energy would have been flinging rotted human remains at the enemy through crude mechanical contraptions.

Now if you told me this was done by modern American armed forces, I would believe that the fat to effort ratio would justify the horror.
>>
>>31883148

the feels
>>
I wonder if a war as horrible and as brutal as ww1 will ever happen again
>>
>>31883101
>>after taking a german trench a room was found with gore overflowing. It was determined that the Germans were running out of ammunition and where rendering the fat of their fallen soldiers for explosives.
i dont believe it, but i would like too.

My dad and his brother didnt go to vietnam(too young) and one my grandfathers died before i was born so his stories died with him and my other grandfather saw limited action in nam(and his memory is failing him).

however i did once deliver some food to a vietnam vet who was an open book.
i didnt have to ask and he begun telling me about how the tortured the vietcong.
>pregnant women had their legs tied together while they gave birth.(they did this not while interogating her but while intergotating the men they forced to watch).
>when someone was deemed to not have info they were used for interrogations.(they would question them a little bit in a room full of other prisoners, when the prisoners wouldnt answer correctly because he wasnt suppose to, they would stick a lit flare up his ass or her vagina and let them die from it. The next person to be questioned always answered).
>they would also mutilate people by cutting of body parts(starting with ears and lips) infront of the people they were interrogating.
>>
File: WW1 photo op.jpg (199KB, 962x716px) Image search: [Google]
WW1 photo op.jpg
199KB, 962x716px
>>31883148
Nam story from father
>Driving convy and always get shot at by a sniper driving through town. Dont know where he is and hasn't hit anyone yet so just drive quickly.
> One trip there are some South Koreans on the road and we give them a ride. Charlie is supposed to be afraid of them so we went out of our way to have them around.
>Village with sniper coming up. just keep driving and once again the trucks start getting shot by a single jackass in a tree somewhere.
> As we get out of town one of the Koreans starts yelling STOP. the trucks stop moving and all the Koreans with white horse patches get down and start firing mortars back into the town.
>They all loaded up again and we continued. We never got shot at in that village again.
>>
>>31883148
War never changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWoBtcFw040
>>
File: nonsense.gif (20KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
nonsense.gif
20KB, 350x350px
>>31883101

1. What were they doing with the explosives? Filling shells? By hand? Stupid. You'd have to be suicidal to fire shells filled under trench conditions; if they fired at all, they might land twenty feet away, or worse, blow up your cannon.
2. How did they ensure quality control? Presumably, the room was dug into the earth, and had dirt walls and floors. Even under 21st century factory conditions, explosives still sometimes fail to pass inspection.
3. Did they cut open their dead to do this, or did they shovel up the remains of people who had gotten blown up? Would a turn-of-the-century German really slice up his countrymen for the kaiser? fuck no.
4. Who the fuck would build an EXPLOSIVES FACTORY in the MIDDLE OF A TRENCH DURING WORLD WAR ONE?
5. How much explosive material can you actually get out of a human body? Answer: not enough to matter.
6. How much more likely is it that a British major just made up some shit on the spot for propoganda purposes?
7. Could the "room overflowing with gore" have been a flooded mass grave? Maybe even a larder that had a few of its pigs splattered by lucky shell?
>>
>>31883356
The only thing I could come up with required many assumptions but i'll share it anyway. There is record of a drive in the US to turn in used cooking oil and animal fat for the war effort. It seems that we used it to produce nitroglycerin. The story that I linked a source for mentioned extensive mining operations as part of trench warfare. Possibly they had mined into the other mats required. This takes too many assumptions to be considered over it simply being only a story.
my understanding was that they were cooking the fat in order to render it.
>>
>>31883222
Your trips answer that question
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.