[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M1A

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (234KB, 1200x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
234KB, 1200x306px
What are your thoughts /k/?
There is a store here selling a full sized wooden stock one for $1500, and I want a battle/rifle or DMR in leu of an AR or PTR, etc.

>California

Ideally I'd like to eventually get an Archangel stock and 3-12 scope. How are these rifles for precision shooting? How do you like yours?

Also, DMR general since I don't see one at the moment.
>>
>>31880366
I've heard that Springfield uses cast receivers for their M1A, and the original M14s used forged receivers. If you're going to pay $1500 for a M14 then get a Norinco or Poly Technologies M14, they're great quality and use forged receivers.
>>
with a good ACOG you can hit a pie plate regularl at 850 yards if you train with it witch in a SHTF seniaro a marader with a ar woud have to cross 250 yards with you have free range on him/her
>>
>>31880366
Why can't they put a real wooden handguard on the M1A/M14? This always pissed me off
>>
>>31880396
>cast
>forged

I honestly dont know the difference.
>>
>>31880415
sorry if my english is bad i come from jordan
>>
So now that we've got the
>MUH CAST RECEIVER
shitpost out of the way, know that it won't ever be a problem for you unless you're running like 10,000 rounds a year through it. $1500 is a bit under MSRP for that model, so it's a bad deal if it's used but a pretty good one if new.
>>
>>31880425
The pre-production M14 did have a wooden handguard but they switched it out because after multiple magazines the wooden one would catch fire.
>>
>>31880430
M14 receiver was designed to be forged. 'springfield armory' uses a cast receiver to cut costs and it's prone to cracking easier.
>>
>>31880432
It's a new gun, sorry I didnt clarify.

Yeah I really wanted the Smith and Wesson M&P-10 but the gun store guy broke my heart with all the restrictions and laws that are coming out next year so I just dont want to deal with it.

>>31880431
are you saying the M1A is more accurate than the AR? Your last sentence was a bit hard to understand. I've been to Amman btw, neat looking city.
>>
>>31880441
Sort of like the AK47/AKM in that regard. Turns out full auto and wooden handguards is a stupid fucking combination.
>>
>>31880454
>are you saying the M1A is more accurate than the AR?
The M1A is significantly better at long distance than an AR-15. There are AR-10s that will outshoot the M1A at distance but they're like $2500 and weigh a dozen pounds.
>>
>>31880430
Forged is hammered/pressed into shape, cast is just molded into shape.

Forged is significantly tougher.
>>
>>31880457
Yea, it's the same reason why the vz. 58 uses beaver barf guards instead of actual wooden ones.
>>
Just don't get a Springfield one. An M1A that's cheaply made in third world countries and somehow still costs $1500 is beyond pointless.
>>
File: download (4).jpg (7KB, 441x114px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
7KB, 441x114px
>>31880415
>>31880431
Cool man. What sort of acog do you use? Just got a pic related piston run ar. Cant wait to try it out but I do see a m1a in my future for certain!
>>
>>31880460
$1000 builds you an AR10 that will do submoa
>>
>>31881269
What are the best m1as then? I'd prefer wood stock. I dont know who else makes them.

Just checked, that $1,500 m1a is indeed springfield.
>>
>>31881728
Get a Norinco. it will be about half the price of a springfield, with a forged reciever. take the money you saved and get an improved op rod guide, unitize the gas block with shims (I didn't have to do this. all my parts were snug) and if you want to install a top rail, you have a few options available to you. all of this will add up to significantly less than a springfield.
>>
>>31881728
>>31882594
Even getting an aftermarket wood stock will give you a cheaper result
>>
>>31882594
>>31882605
The Norinco M14s can be made into great shooters with a bit of work and love. Grab a Springfield wooden stock, rail, and scope, and you're set

The Chinese do have some of the best metal manufacturing abilities in the world... In fact, they have the only forges largest enough for pouring the bases for nuclear reactors, they've got waiting lists and contracts for years
>>
>>31882594
From what I've been reading most people prefer polytech to Norinco, but I'll still look into them.

So from What I've seen people do:
>buy ching chong m1a because forged receiver
>buy a USGI bolt from Fulton Armory (why are there so many different bolts fuck)
>Get a gunsmith to put the new bolt into the chinky reciever because it wont fit quite right right away and also wont match with chong barrel.
>everyone says to put in new springs and other shit. Chinese barrels are apparently good to go already

Is this right? It should be like 800-900 for the chinese rifle, $350 for a better bolt, then another few hundred to properly install the bolt. I found Smith Enterprise gunsmiths who will put in a bolt for $500

This is fucking obnoxious. Anything I missed?
>>
>>31880460
The m1a isnt easy to make or keep accurized. It can be as accurate as an ar-15 but youre going to be putting way more time and money into it.
>>
>>31880396
>Chink m14
>Quality forged receivers
Don't those suffer from the receiver stretching out of spec after about a thousand rounds?
>>
>>31882947
>The m1a isnt easy to make or keep accurized.
In fact, they're very notorious for the neediness their stocks require for even approaching typical AR accuracy. You're going to be tuning the bedding regularly thanks to the nature of the action.
>>
OP here, fuck this, im getting a PTR.

Thanks for the input ya'll
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.