[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Optics and astigmatism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Fotolia_45693583_S.jpg (94KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fotolia_45693583_S.jpg
94KB, 800x600px
I've started using red dot sights since younger when I played airsoft (which is not relevant here).
Back then, the dot loocked blurry but I didn't care much because lol cheap airshit sight... But I've been more concerned recently. I've noticed that everytime I look down the dot sights, I'm the only one seeing it blurry, just as in my new Burris Fastfire 3 that was planned to go on my 1895 Marlin... Even the wife, who has glasses, sees it cristal clear all the time.
Therefore, I guessed that I may have a little bit of astigmatism, but it never bothered me before, and was never noticed during the eye doctor's appointment.

How to /k/ deals with astigmatism?
>>
my astigmatism is off the charts, so i wear contacts/glasses

This is fine until you're prone.

When I shoot prone I have a lens that goes over my rear sight.
>>
>>31878556
Actually I don't have any trouble when shooting with the iron sights. Or at least it's not noticeable.
So, I may not have to wear glasses for shooting only, and just wondered if there were some special snowflake dot sights for people like me?
>>
>>31878564
not likely.

sounds like your own diagnosis is correct, your astigmatism is very mild, so you dont notice it on reflected surfaces, only when looking at light. im guessing you may also have some trouble watching tv in the dark?
>>
>>31878580
>you may also have some trouble watching tv in the dark?
Never noticed this.
I rarely watch TV, but I'm often on the computer in the dark no problem
>>
I think I have astigmatism too but I'm not sure. My night vision is terrible. As it turns dark anything bright I start to see with double vision or a halo. Not just light sources but shiny things and brightly colored things too. Faces can be blurry, but I'll still have 2020 for things like trees. Squinting seems to help, but the road itself can smear together making the lines nearly impossible to see. Is this astigmatism? Is there anything I can do for it?
>>
File: 1454296513112.jpg (27KB, 496x474px) Image search: [Google]
1454296513112.jpg
27KB, 496x474px
>>31878537
I have astigmatism in my left eye, which doesn't present a problem usually unless I'm shooting offhand. That said, I wear contacts made for astigmatism, so that mitigates any issue I would have otherwise.

So, get contacts.
>>
>>31878537
I too have astigmatism, but luckily it's only apparent on my right eye. So I shoot my guns left-handed.

>>31878660
Damn, you lucky bastard
>>
>>31878671
I mean, they're pretty cheap if you know what you're doing, and your vision doesn't change much when you wear contacts. If it really bothers you that much, hit up your eye doc and get a prescription.

I get mine off Groupon. They usually have them for like half off and they last me months.
>>
If I'm shooting indoors with my T2 I don't worry about it. If I'm trying to zero said T2 I'll kind of cup my hand around my eye and it clears up the dot. Just like if you look through your rear sight at your dot. Shooting in broad daylight outside renders the dot super clear.

Just my .02
>>
>>31878687
OP here.

The eye doctor appointment takes ages where I live. This is why I wanted a short term solution. Thanks for your help anyway.

Are 1,5-4x scopes affected by this?
I could use a low power scope instead...
>>
>>31878537
Only red dot I ever used was a Nerf "Reflex" sight. I always assumed it just looked like shit because it was £17, but I do have a -9.2 prescription (My glasses are around 11mm thick) and severe astigmatism. You saying that that's why the dot comes off as more of a... starburst type thing? Anyone else own one of the Nerf reflex sights?
>>
>>31878705
>starburst type thing?
Exactly.
Try taking a picture of the dot with your phone. If it's clear, the dot is fine
>>
>>31878564
>and just wondered if there were some special snowflake dot sights for people like me?
My astigmatism is pretty bad too. Holo sights seem to be the best bet. The reticule appears to be made up of a bunch of dots but you don't get any combat banana. If you get the EXP2-1 the reticule is a plain dot and it's the best dot I've seen yet without any corrective lenses.
>>
>>31878946

A prismatic scope is better than any dot for astigmatism
>>
I also have pretty bad astigmatism in my right eye. I've actually trained myself to aim handguns with my left eye.

Like the poster above said I've had better luck with holographic sights. The eotech-type reticle with the 65 moa circle can be useful for closer targets, however I need to wear my glasses if I want to shoot at anything past ~75 yards.
>>
>>31878700
>Are 1,5-4x scopes affected by this?
Best method to check this is to look through scopes with your own eyes.
>>
>>31878623
>on the computer in the dark
Good way to burn out your retinas. Turn on a lamp or an overhead light so there isn't as much (literally) blinding contrast from your screen.
>>
I run a Leupold Prismatic just because it has a diopter adjustment to compensate for my right eye astigmatism. All other red dots just flare on me.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.