[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chest or hip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Chest Holster.jpg (27KB, 414x245px) Image search: [Google]
Chest Holster.jpg
27KB, 414x245px
Which is better in a real combat scenario? I've mostly seen chest holsters on special operations soldiers and the like. I've heard that putting it there gets the weight off the legs, gives you more endurance and mobility.
So, which one is better?
>>
>>31878207
Its mostly preference. I always had my sidearms at the thigh because it felt easier to access and more stable during movement.
>>
>>31878207
I always thought it would get tangled up with your rifle sling, and going prone would be difficult.

Hip holster is best.
>>
If you're riding in a vehicle, chest.

In almost any other situation, hip.
>>
>>31878215
Well, I've always pictured this holster used in a bin Laden-type raid, room clearing, close quarters. You could really benefit from a chest holster if you rifle gives out or someone jumps you while you're changing mags. That extra half-second could save your life.
>>
>>31878230
Not really. Your rifle is slung across your chest, so you would have to move your rifle to either side of your body to access the chest holster. With a hip holster, you could just let go of your rifle and grab for your hip or thigh holster. Not to mention you are muzzling your own body and perhaps fellow operators to your side when you are drawing from a chest rig. We all know what can happen with serpa holsters in a panic situation. Ask Tex Grebner.

https://youtu.be/p3kJ6SU3ycs
>>
>>31878225
Gunner argees. Either way keep the holster tight to you/gear for no movement and simple
>>
>>31878212
Agreed. When I need to carry open for what ever reason I have a thigh rig.
>>
chest
>spends a lot of time in vehicles sitting
>pogs

hip
>dismounted a lot
>cowadooty gearqueer
>>
>>31878256
>not using one point sling

goddamn i hate you stupid non-combat fucks
>>
G19 on hip, G26 backup on chest, Euro police style. I can't find the pictures from this years Ger and Fra happenings.
>>
>>31879708
2004s latest combat craze has kind of petered out.
It's situationally useful at best
>>
OP, those are regular old marines
chest mounted holsters kinda suck, and only really get lots of use with IOTVs where a hip mounted holster isn't really an option and you don't want a drop leg
>>31879708
except no, two point sling you nigger. Run it around your neck for MOUT, pull your arm through it for more stable standing shooting
>>
>>31879718
>G19 on hip, G26 backup on chest, Euro police style.

nobody does that.
>>
>>31878207
Chest mounted holsters are nice because it gives you one less piece of kit to incorporate into your fighting load. There exist several significant downsides to chest carry, though. The two which come most readily to mind are the exposure of the pistol to significant amounts of mud or dirt when the soldier takes the prone position and use of space on a plate carrier which is normally reserved for other essential gear like magazines, nametape, blood type indicators, handheld radio, etc.

Hip is nice because it takes weight off your shoulders and puts that weight onto your hips, where your body is most comfortable carrying weight for a long time. Hip is also nice because it is a relatively standard carry method for civilians with CPLs and LEO and as such will offer better translation of training and potentially faster draw times. Hip carry also keeps weight off the legs, but its advantage here is twofold: the body likes carrying weight on the hips even more than on the chest so it will be the least tiring to carry there for a long time. One downside of hip carry is that a full load of armor, ammo, medical kit, etc. may interfere with the drawstroke, especially while sitting down.

(1/2)
>>
>>31878207

A third relatively common technique is carrying on the leg. Carrying on the leg offers the fastest potential draw speed if one makes sure to fasten the panel correctly to the leg and to use a suitable belt to attach the leg harness to because the grip of the pistol is closest to the resting position of the hands. There are significant downsides to leg carry, though. Leg carry slows down the rate at which one can move from free standing to sprinting outright, leg carry wears the user out most quickly due to the pistol's pendulum effect and the pistol's inertia consistently resisting the leg's acceleration. Leg carry, if the belt and panel are chosen or secured poorly can allow the pistol to rotate around the axis of the femur, thus causing irregular positioning and very slow draw times.

Overall,
Hip: easiest to learn, least tiring, but slow to access with gear in place or sitting.
Chest: fastest time to move from your skivvies to fighting condition, but most likely to place elemental stress on the pistol and crowds out other necessary gear where space is at a premium.
Leg: potentially the fastest, but generally hard to get right for people who don't devote a lot of time to practice and the most tiring by a significant margin.

Conclusion:
In general, I would recommend hip carry as a rule. When the pistol is a secondary weapon, where conditions are likely unfavorable to reliable function, and serious physical exertion is the expectation rather than the exception it makes the most sense to put a pistol where it's relatively sheltered, where it doesn't slow you down, and where it won't tire you out.

Personally, if I was fighting in Mosul, Fallujah pt 1, or Fallujah pt 2: electric boogaloo, I would take a leg mounted holster because movement in short bursts in house to house fighting rather than long slogging marches de-emphasizes the rate of exhaustion inherent to a leg holster and because maximum speed of employment is critically important to me. (2/2)
>>
>>31878212
>wearing a drop leg holster
>letting ppl think you are a gear queer FOBBIT
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.