[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know shitfuck about guns, /k/, but I'm interested in something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

I know shitfuck about guns, /k/, but I'm interested in something in particular

Are there any advantages or disadvantages on using polymer-frame guns?
>>
>>31869422
Polymer is lighter and cheaper. Less mass means more recoil, and polymer isn't as strong as steel or aluminum, however I haven't had any problems with my popular polymer framed 9mm
>>
Advantages:
Lighter
Disadvantages:
Scary-looking so people want to ban them
>>
>>31869422
Yes. It turns you into a faggot. As to whether that is good or bad, well thats kinda up to your own opinion.
>>
>>31869422
less cold in winter
less hot in summer
>>
What would a MP7 look like with wood grips?
>>
>>31869422
Polymer guns have less stopping power due to the fact that they can't handle the stresses of .45
>>
>>31869519

better
>>
>>31869519
Stupid
>>
>>31869524

ignore him
>>
>>31869422
Cheaper partly for the materials and partly because metals either need to be machined, cast, or stamped. Polymers can be molded into shape. This also makes them very uniform and you can easily form things like accessory rails on them. Almost none of them are fully polymer; most frames are either lined with a metal skeleton or reinforced with other materials in the compound. The actual parts inside tend to be metal. Rust isn't really a problem with poly frames either but they can melt in extreme heats.

Weapons designed to rapid fire will get especially hot and plastic parts can burn right off of them.

Poly is a more economical choice for some designs but if you have a few big letters in your company name like "G" or "H" or "K" you can actually charge more for them over metal frames and tell everyone they're more advanced.
>>
File: Heckler & Kek.png (264KB, 864x722px) Image search: [Google]
Heckler & Kek.png
264KB, 864x722px
>>31869573
>>
>>31869422
Advantages:
>Lighter weight
Disadvantages:
>More felt recoil
>>
It's cheaper to manufacture by a massive margin, and is viewed as an equal or superior to metals by a large fraction of the market.

Polymer guns can be just as good as metal firearms if properly designed and reinforced.

For handguns, i'm sure the light weight induces higher recoil penalty and only a fool would use one as a service pistol, but good for carry.

Conversions of existing guns into plastic can be more hit and miss, like printed AR lowers, snapping in half. Ideally designed from the ground-up.

I'm not even sure if plastic is considerably lighter once you factor in needed thickness, reinforcing, versus things like relatively lightweight steel stampings or aluminuim castings. But it's way cheaper and simpler.
>>
>>31869422
what's polymer?
>>
>>31873281
plastic
>>
File: cosby-split-eyes.jpg (142KB, 434x612px)
cosby-split-eyes.jpg
142KB, 434x612px
>>31869525
>>31869531
>>
>>31869422
Polymers were designed so that guns could be smuggled through metal detectors and used to assassinate airplanes. The guns used by the 9/11 hijackers were polymers.
>>
>>31875337
You're retarded. Quit spreading misinformation.

Box cutters=/=Glawk
>>
>>31869524
>Polymer guns have less stopping power due to the fact that they can't handle the stresses of .45
>Muh FUDDY FIVE
>OP's pic is literally a PDW with more stopping power than a .45

Here's a (you)
>>
>>31869422
Pros:
Lower weight
Fewer parts can rust
High consistency of part form
Cons:
Lighter weight means larger felt recoil (less mass for interia to work with)
High temperatures are capable of warping the frame
Depending on quality of manufacture, durability my leave something to be desired.
A shit metal gun will be more durable than a shot poly gun, but a decent poly gun is going to be a lot cheaper than an equal quality metal gun
>>
>>31869422
What you are calling "polymer framed guns" do have some significant advantages. So long as the frame does not have to stand up to significant wear, temperature, or pressure a "polymer" frame offers significant weight savings, make manufacturing precise shapes significantly less expensive, corrosion resistance, and resistance to plastic deformation (permanent bending) and cracking.

In reality, what people call "polymer framed guns" are firearms with plastic receivers. A gun is an imprecise term which in precise use means an artillery piece rather than how it's colloquially used as a substitute for "gat" or "firearm." Polymers are long tangles of synthetic molecules (ie. Nylon), they are generally very weak and poor choices for design until they are reinforced with additives (ie. fiberglass) which makes them plastics.
>>
>>31869524
Lies
Fnx45 by FN
H&K's various lines
(You) got btfo
>>
>>31869519
I think it would look a bit bulky depending how you pull it off
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.