[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ejection Seats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: f-4_ejection_test.jpg (109KB, 1010x690px) Image search: [Google]
f-4_ejection_test.jpg
109KB, 1010x690px
So, I want to clarify something. All over the place I've heard that ejecting from a jet is pretty much guaranteed to cause career-ending injuries, mostly from the initial g-forces involved. Spinal fractures, "you'll be about an inch shorter", etc.

How much of this is basically aviation fuddlore, and how much is actually true?

Also, post pics of punching out.
>>
Sounds bullshit
>>
>>31861560

You're being subjected to forces that allow you to eject while on the ground and stationary (zero zero) and clear the jet fast enough to be mostly safe and go high enough for the parachute to mostly open.

It has the potential to mess you up.
>>
It sucks really bad being ejected but its not going to end your career due to injuries in likelihood

What will is why you've just ejected
>>
>>31861560
It does affect your body, but its not something thats carrerending.

In the Swedish Air Force you will end your carrer if you do it three times.

One pilot that managed to colide mid-air refused to eject just because it would have been his 3rd time.
>>
>>31861749

More thorough description:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16964743

http://www.baka.com.au/national/education/how-dangerous-is-it-to-eject-from-a-fighter-jet-20120730-239mp.html
>>
>>31861773
USAF stops letting you fly after 2 ejections.

Source: I work with 2 Viper squadrons.
>>
>>31861560
It's not automatically career ending, but it does take a serious toll on your body and most air forces have a hard ejection limit before you're permanently grounded.
>>
>>31861560

Ejecto seat cuz!
>>
>>31861560
>an inch shorter
I'd believe it. I carried a Vietnam era radio on my back for 2 road marches in Basic Training, ended up an inch shorter.
>>
>>31861808
Can confirm. I don't even think you can get a test program slot anymore with two tickets into the Martin-Baker club.
>>
>>31861808
>>31861903
>>31861773

What if it is determined afterwards that the events that led to the ejection weren't the pilot's fault and he had no way of preventing it?
>>
>>31861928
The problem would be physiological effects, not questioning the pilot's skills.
>>
>>31861943

If you don't suffer any effects that would disqualify you from piloting otherwise, there's no reason to blanket ground someone just because he ejected X times. And the screening for pilots is pretty exhaustive as it is. It can't be for physiological reasons.
>>
>>31861979
You either crashed a multi million dollar jet multiple times or are bad luck and shouldn't be near a plane anymore.
>>
Can't speak for the Air Force, but there's no limit to how many time you can eject in the Navy. There is some fuddlore type stuff about a three time limit, but according to my flight doc there isn't one. They would medically evaluate you, and assuming you were physically capable of flying again you would be back to flying if your FNAEB retained you in flight status. That would take about six months though.
>>
>>31861998
>bad luck

No such thing you memelord. If someone ejected 2-3 times and the investigation confirms it was due someone else's fuckup or a malfunction, there is no reason to keep the pilot grounded. No one with half a brain is going to get rid of a guy with hundreds of flight hours who cost them millions of dollars to train just because "he's bad luck," i.e. a statistical anomaly.
>>
>>31861928

In answer, this:
>>31861943

>>31861979
I don't think you completely understand not only the overall G-forces on the pilot during ejection, but the vector and angular momentum imparted. You have three very, very violent events happening one after another, and often compounding the violence of the preceding event: rocket activation and evacuation, entering the slipstream at whatever airspeed is present and the chute opening. The chute opening especially imparts a lot of angular momentum front to back on the head and neck after the head is forced down and forward by the rocket firing, even in optimal ejections this is usually worse than most whiplash encountered in car collisions.

It is EXTREMELY wearing on the body, and even in one ejection creates long-term and low grade neck, back and joint degradation issues unless the pilot got very, very lucky with the specific physics of their ejection. It is exceedingly rare for the second ejection to not result in a medical downcheck simply on physiological grounds. They put a hard limit there even if a pilot clears checks because at that point there are serious concerns about the connective muscle tissue in the spine and neck, vertebrae disc compression and micro-detachment and TBI, all three of which are hard to outright exclude short of an autopsy, and any one of which will outright kill or paralyze a pilot in subsequent ejections.
>>
>>31862016
I didn't realize that. Pretty crazy. Have you every run across any three-time guys who are still medically flight cleared?

In the USAF, there's a hard 2-time limit, after which if you're cleared in the incident report they promote you sideways. I believe there have been a few waivers on this issued since the policy was enacted back in the early 90's, but I've never seen any evidence of them myself.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.