[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 41

File: 1441164819429.png (199KB, 786x826px) Image search: [Google]
1441164819429.png
199KB, 786x826px
Military Enlistment General /MEG/
Wageslaving in DEP edition

Previous thread
>>31821067

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857
>>
>The air force knows that it needs a 35M equivalent
>Creates the 1N7X AFSC
>Only lets in E5 and up

Does the chairforce really hate junior enlisted that much?
>>
File: FGTkSdG.jpg (77KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
FGTkSdG.jpg
77KB, 500x332px
Hey, got back from MEPS and the only thing temporarily holding me up from joining the navy is my eyesight and I have an appointment with their ophthalmologist to get my eyes cleared.

My question is in the navy, what MOS is the best if I want to do gunsmithing after my contract is up. I'm eyeing the GM position. Is there a better position to go for however?
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry, you aint shit
>>
>>31858597
Seal?
Otherwise GM it is. Try and be a small arms type.
>>31857374
>Does the chairforce really hate junior enlisted that much?
Yes
>>
>>31858966
I'm most certainly not the type to be a seal. but it's nice to here a third party opinion on what i'm goin for.
>>
>>31858984
>I'm most certainly not the type to be a seal. but it's nice to here a third party opinion on what i'm goin for.
Gotcha. Im just sayin, i see people in these threads all the time asking similar stuff like what mos to see combat or what mos to work with guns and so on. Seems obvious its SOF type jobs but ya GM is good as well.
>>
Going to see a national guard recruiter on Tuesday. I need to wait another year before I am fully eligible to enlist (medical shit), but at least I can get the process rolling and take the ASVAB. Want to go for 68w, and already have my EMT cert.
>>
>>31859445
don't tell anyone at meps anything at all about your medical condition. that place exists to get you disqualified.

what made you pick national guard by the way?
>>
>>31859466
Not him but how does that even work.
>don't tell anyone at meps anything at all about your medical condition
>take prescription meds
>don't take meds for a few days before meps
>go to meps
>get blood drawn
>they found out youve been taken prescription meds you just said you don't take
>get thrown out for lying

It doesn't seem worth the risk.
>>
>>31859490
At that point it's best to wait until you are off prescription meds for about a year.

Before I went I was told to not say a single thing about my topical acne gel so I'd assume they are super harsh about it.

>>31859445
Also, make sure your ears are really clean. it's a bit embarrassing to get denied on account of dirty ears.
>>
>>31859466
It's asthma. I can get a waiver. If it's in my records (it is) and I lie about it, that's some serious fucking legal trouble. I want in, but not badly enough to risk a felony.
>>
>>31859510
Yeah. Recruiter said 24 months no inhaler. Stopped using it back in April. Am on some other stuff, but won't be for much longer.
>>
>>31859529
I'd still say wait until you're off for at least a year. plus i don't believe that hey can access your medical records unless you were a military brat.
>>
>>31859538
Seriously? I thought they pulled your records as part of enlistment.
>>
File: 1477729097419.jpg (40KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1477729097419.jpg
40KB, 400x388px
finally an 18 minute 2 mile

my goal is to get that down to 12 minutes.

we're all going to make it brahs
>>
>>31859551
They only pull them if they need to from what I recall. they don't bother if they don't need to, so if you can keep it under wraps and pass the blood and urine tests you should be fine.
>>
>>31859563
Good. Because there is some weird shit there that turned out to be nothing. Just gonna wait out the inhaler time and take the extra physical tests then.
>>
File: 05eYYGJ.png (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
05eYYGJ.png
59KB, 1920x1080px
>>31859595
Hope you make it buddy. Though if you have any doubts, do the research. You don't need to accidentally get into a felony over advice recieved on a taiwanese fingerpainting forum
>>
tfw waiting for GED test results,
;_: I want to enlist so bad
>>
>>31859603
Ain't that the truth. Not going to lie on anything. Just not going to volunteer anything that isn't asked for.
>>
>>31858637
This

Why else join the military? Infantry is what you think of when you hear soldier. They get all the respect and pussy too

Only POGs would disagree
>>
>>31858637
>tfw infantry
feels good
Then again infantry in a shitty country so whoopsies
>>
>>31859640

>Using POG as an insult.

Whatever makes you feel better about your shitty life choices, bro. POG just means a cushier life with better job opportunities and a non-busted-up body.

Go ahead and stand in the motorpool beating off about how cool you are waiting for a deployment that will never come. I'll just cry into my pile of money.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 680x510px
How do I pass navy dive school?
>>
What is the difference between navy corpsman and 68w?

The training time looks similar.
>>
How is life on a submarine, I volunteered so what am I in for.
>>
>>31859743
nothing at all. anyone claiming otherwise is full of shit.
>>
>>31859783
From what i've heard. I hope you like smelling farts for weeks, eating MREs and hotbunking with dudes who just shot a load 5 minutes before you get into said bunk.
>>
I'm in rsp and go to boot camp this summer, would I be able to take a trip in the summer for 3 month and push boot camp back? I'm in arng
>>
Also, will I have to go to drill every month no matter what for the rest of my enlistment?
>>
>>31860148
I can deal with 2 and 3, sub don't have very good ventilation systems?
>>
>>31860200
I'm pretty that's how it works. What's the point in having a part time reserve force if it can't be bothered to show up for training once a month?
>>
File: 1475361339112.gif (993KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
1475361339112.gif
993KB, 400x323px
>>31860867
Was wondering if there was a way that I could maybe like go a month or do extra time prior to the trip or something, I figured I wouldn't be about to but I thought it was worth asking. Thanks anyway
>>
File: murines.png (924KB, 844x857px) Image search: [Google]
murines.png
924KB, 844x857px
>>31857126
Are Marines genetically predisposed to marrying the ugliest possible chick they can? Is it just an instinct to try and reduce the chances of infidelity when he's deployed or what?
>>
>>31861201

It's less marines and more enlisted in general.
>>
>>31861283
>implying officers wives are much better
>>
>>31861201
lol u know you would fuck her
>>
>>31861350
Hey Dillon, hows Okinawa?
>>
>>31861333

Lolwut
>>
>>31861381
Just LARPing
>>
>19
>high school diploma
>not a fatty
>has no certified skilled labor but am very knowledgeable in carpentry/construction
>zero known health defects/problems

Despite me never having had a job, I'd still likely be able to join, right?
>>
>>31860046
I mean it seems like the best option if I don't want to potentially be on a boat is 68w then?
>>
>>31861201
Dude... former 0311 here.

Trash us all you want. Call us dumb if it makes you feel good. But Marines pull some of the hottest tail there is.

>Girls don't want to get jackhammered by a guy in peak physical shape

I only slept with 1 girl before I joined the Marines. If I wasn't fighting I was fucking. Cougars especially. I'd bang them, and then wake them up early to drive me to formation. My ass didn't have a car back then.

My dates to the Marine Corps Ball were 10/10
>>
Is going the enlisted route ever a good idea long term?

Every E-9 I know is a miserable piece of shit.
And one E-9 I know now drives taxis for a living to make ends meet.
>>
>tfw MEPS tomorrow
woo lads
>>
>>31861829

Most E-9s I know are just chilling in retirement.

Most people can't even dream of being able to retire at 45 and just fish and go innawoods for the rest of their lives.
>>
Alright /k/, I went to the Navy recruiter today and they're trying to meme me into going nuke. I'm really interested in going corpsman, that's the mentality I went in there with, but to be honest the benefits of going nuke do sound pretty enticing.

Basically what I'm asking is, what are the pros and cons for going either route? Is nuke really as bad as everyone says? Is corpsman overrated?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (754KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
754KB, 3000x2000px
>>31862309
Forgot obligatory pic
>>
>>31859783
>>31860455
You made a mistake. Subs suck and not in a good way.

>>31861728
>If I wasn't fighting I was fucking.
Cringe
>Cougars especially. I'd bang them
Ya thats everyone dude. Cougars will fuck literally any young in shape guy.
>My ass didn't have a car back then
Ya thats why you only slept with 1 clearly
>My dates to the Marine Corps Ball
lol now i know youre a fag. No one goes to those gay ass officer events except try hard idiots.

>>31861829
>Is going the enlisted route ever a good idea long term?
Ya if you actually like your job. Plus if youer E-9 you can do 30 which equally way more money long term.

>>31862309
>Is nuke really as bad as everyone says?
Yes
>Is corpsman overrated?
No cause no one is overrating it. Its a good rate but calm down it aint SEAL or some shit. There was a pic posted last thread about why NUKE is so trash. Go look at it.
>>
Why does every AFN PSA in the military tell enlisted men to become school teachers?

Anyone else find that weird as fuck?
>>
>>31862342
Why exactly is going nuke bad? 12,000 signing bonus, halfway done with your degree when you get out and son and so forth. Of course they're just gonna try to sell me on all the positives but why is it hated so much?
>>
>>31862354
Maybe it's a sort of weird recruiting campaign? Your cool HS history teacher was a Marine, so Marines must be cool people and you should be one too
>>
File: 1477769830417.png (286KB, 949x2587px) Image search: [Google]
1477769830417.png
286KB, 949x2587px
>>31862354
>tell enlisted men to become school teachers?
Cause its an easy as fuck job that has a strong union to protect them cause they assume theyre fuck ups.

>>31862360
>why is it hated so much?
Fag i told you to look at the pic. Here ill spoon feed you fat boy.
Also
>Bonus
Lots of rates have those so that isnt a reason to choose specifically nuke
>degree
Thats mostly a meme, also if you choose an easier rate youll actually have free time to work on your degree on your own for free using Tuition Assistance.
>Of course they're just gonna try to sell me on all the positives
Ya thats cause when a recruiter gets some stupid kid like you to join you get counted as 2 not 1.

Loads of negatives and very few positives. Read the fucking pic.
>>
File: male teacher.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
male teacher.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>31862354
>go from one dead end to another

Yeah, good job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWoyc3t6lgs
>>
>>31862441
Thanks senpai, I appreciate it
>>
>>31862342
Jesus if I wanted pog cringe responses I'd go to the local veterans home.

I wouldn't certify you to lick my ass.
>>
>>31862606
>Jesus if I wanted pog cringe responses
How was it cringe you turd? Everything i said was true. All you were was a grunt in the marines. Dont color me impressed. If you were in SOF maybe id say ok but then again someone sin SOF would never go to a faggyy ball and brag about fucking burnout milfs.
>>
>>31862639
It's cringe because you think you know about things, but don't.

I was just a marine grunt. I saw combat. Does that make you feel inadequate?
>>
>>31858966
>Yes

Well fuck me right?
>>
>>31862682
>you think you know about things, but don't.
Like what? I dont know that fucking milfs is easy? I dont know that i wouldnt have been caught dead at a Navy ball?
>Does that make you feel inadequate?
Yep. You have a 10 inch dick im also jealous of and a mansion with a gold toilet. I wish i was you.

>>31862744
>Well fuck me right?
You shouldnt have joined the chairforce senpai. We make fun of it in these threads for a reason.
>>
I know i'm going to sound like a COD fuck but which branch should i look into if i want go infantry? Or is seeing combat not going to happen?
>>
>>31863280
Army 11-series if you want to have a decent life and play with cool war toys.

Marines 0311 if you want to have a shit life and be told you're better because you make do with less.

If you absolutely, positively have to get your war on and you're smart and motivated, you should consider an 18X contract. SF types are always off doing some sort of secret squirrel shit.

You might get to see something if you go 11X +airborne +RIP and make it into the 75th, but that's crazy competitive and even then you're not guaranteed to get deployed.
>>
File: starshiptroopers3.jpg (53KB, 698x523px) Image search: [Google]
starshiptroopers3.jpg
53KB, 698x523px
>>31862374
I'm thinking of that schoolteacher from Starship Troopers who was a badass in the Mobile Infantry. Maybe they want people who give enough of a shit about the country to go fight for it to be part of imparting values on the next generation. Pragmatic patriotism, you've seen the ugly, and come to appreciate what you have.

SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP
>>
>>31863429
Most male teachers end up with a record from plowing the students. Now its starting to make sense if they are using the enlisted corps as their talent pool.
>>
File: Air_Force_Logo.jpg (15KB, 502x401px) Image search: [Google]
Air_Force_Logo.jpg
15KB, 502x401px
Why is the Air Force so lulzy in everything they do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B59XKDpG0lc

http://www.stripes.com/air-force-to-launch-investigation-into-veteran-s-removal-from-ceremony-for-speech-invoking-god-1.415487
>>
just smeshed 9:39 for my 1.5 mile run at my selection

best I'd ever got was 12 minutes in training

feels good lads
>>
Any UK royal marine fags?
>>
Air Force Reserves or Guard?
Which is better, pros/cons of each?

Also, which one gets more "operational time" or whatever, or allows you to serve duty more duty time?
>>
>>31863596
>at my selection
What selection? Be specific senpai.

Great job though. How did you get a 2:30 improvement? Thats a pretty substantial jump.
>>
>>31863953
british army, joining the signals

I have no idea, I went out at what felt like a fast pace and never stopped

felt like I was actually dead by the end though, I had reached another astral plane
>>
>>31863381
>Civilians giving civilians advice

Maybe shut up once in a while
>>
>>31864056
>british army, joining the signals
>signals
What that? Sorry im unfamiliar with British stuff.

>felt like I was actually dead by the end though, I had reached another astral plane
Well great job either way

>>31864112
Not him but isnt what he said pretty accurate?
>>
>>31858597
>My question is in the navy, what MOS is the best if I want to do gunsmithing after my contract is up. I'm eyeing the GM position. Is there a better position to go for however?
Dunno about Navy, but in the AF there's sheet metal (2A7X3).

>>31859538
>i don't believe that hey can access your medical records unless you were a military brat.
I was a military brat. They never got my records... but that was in 1994, so things may have changed.

>>31859701
This anon gets it.

>>31861829
All of the retired E-9s I know have decent contractor positions in our unit (intel). It's the E-8s and below that disappear, except for a lone retired E-7 that we have.
>>
>>31862982

Yeah, but then again it beats having to be Army or Muhreens even if the initial job offer isn't quite what I want. I can always reclass to 1n7x after I hit staff sargeant.
>>
>>31860148
It's less of a fart smell and more of an amine smell that gets into all of your clothes, hair, etc.

The MRE thing is bullshit.

The hotbunking is accurate.
>>
>>31864112
You're free to think that. I don't give enough shits to drag out my DD214 to show some random fuck on the internet that I was an 11B in 2008-2012. I don't give advice on POG shit, and I'm still naturally biased against the other branches, but if someone legit wants to sign up to go get shot at and blown up during peacetime I'm a bit more uniquely qualified to offer insight than a civilian.
>>
What the fuck is the Air Guard?
>>
>>31864514
It's 2016, man. How do you not know about Google?
>>
>>31864438
Then don't give advice about being an 0311. I don't talk about what it's like to be an Army faggot, because I wasn't one.

I was in 2007-2011. Saying we are inherently worse is grade A fag shit, and I expect more from a brother in Arms.
>>
File: Frontier.jpg (274KB, 980x979px) Image search: [Google]
Frontier.jpg
274KB, 980x979px
Same guy from last threat, been in the air-force for 200 days, still at tech school. Any questions im willing to answer, and I know a lot about almost all the AFSC's.
>>
>>31865183

Any way to get into 1n7x before e5?
>>
>>31865209
No, and that's my carrier field, and my end game.
>>
>>31865183
>been in the air-force for 200 days
>I know a lot about almost all the AFSC's
These are the people giving info.
>>
>>31865274
Your choice to listen or not, I did my research before I joined and I asked alot of questions when I could. Just here to help people make that choice.
>>
How frequent is it for 18 year olds to go option 40? I'm wondering if there will be a serious age gap, and if it would hurt unit cohesion
>>
>>31865251

As far as I know you can get in if you have your 5 level done and make staff sergeant at year 3, but that's a looooong wait. I'm thinking about going in as a 1N0X and playing the waiting game until I can reclass.
>>
>>31865183
Is there a huge difference between Air National Guard and regular Air Force?
>>
>>31865330
Fuuuuck, So far being a 1N0 sucks, the school isnt too hard, but its frustrating. Plus side is you get to go to almost every base. My goal is 1N0 to 1N7.
>>
>>31865344
I can tell you that every Air National Guard wishes they where active duty. Im active, so I dont know much from there side of the fence.
>>
>>31863381

18x is competitive now too.

When you get to Bragg you can get tossed out for so much as batting an eyelash wrong at an instructor. Dont fuck with SF until you know how the military works.
>>
>>31865377

Do you actually do analysis, or is it "Jack of all trades, misc" work as descriptions allude to?
>>
Can someone explain why it is harder to go from reserve to active? \\
>>
>>31865802

Reservists count as "prior service" when applying for Active duty, even if they've only been reservists for a little while. Prior service recruits tend to be more expensive and you can get less out of them on average, so the military prefers not to take them. That means you will have limited, if any, job choice, very few incentives, sometimes higher requirements, etc.

Additionally, going Reserve->Active means you have to simultaneously secure a release from your reserve unit (they won't want to let you go, it hurts their numbers and wastes their budget training you just to let you leave), AND secure yourself an active duty slot (as noted above, they don't want you either, and they'll show it) .

You basically have to convince two large organizations, at the same time, to do something neither of them really have any interest in doing. It happens, yeah, but it isn't common, and nowhere near as common as the recruiter will make it sound.
>>
>>31863599
I've been preparing to join too, are the recruits you train with dumb or what?
>>
>>31865881

Thank you, now that there is an explanation behind it, it seems to make a lot more sense.

I guess I have a lot more thinking to do now, such as deciding if I should go active or reserve. But after what you told me, I think I'm leaning on active.
>>
>>31865932
Heres the thing about that conditional release that the other anon was talking about. I have seen it take 2 years for one to get approved but the average I've seen is abot a year. If you arent in some form of college classes the reserves is going to be the worst possible option because you will go to basic and AIT then go right back home. Then if you ever decide to try and go active if your conditional release is approved then the only option available to you is usually 18x(pretty much the only thing prior service get offered)
>>
>>31866158

I have a somewhat clear understanding of what active could offer, but I'm very lacking on my knowledge of reserve (jobs, life, etc).

Currently I'm not enrolled in classes nor have a job, and that also makes me lean more towards active.
>>
I'm in AIT for 68w and want out
We take the NREMT/ all skills in 2 weeks and I know I'm not gonna pass but i sure as hell don't want to get recycled

How do I get out of the Army with the least possible ramifications or switch to something like 92M
>>
>>31865705
It completely depends on where you go for your job. ISR, Fighter Squadron, AFSOC, every bass you go to you could be doing a different job.
>>
>>31866487

Damn, that's good news.
>>
>>31866428
reserves have no combat related jobs and because they are only there for 2 days a month the only things they do are the admin bullshit that nobody ever wants to do in an active unit. Then in the summer they do two weeks of something.
>>
>>31866819

2 days a month? That doesn't sound like it would have much of any benefit, to me at least. Thanks for all this information, when I do figure out what branch and job I want, I wont be going reserve.
>>
>>31866971
reserve is only good if you are going to college. The national guard will really help you out there
>>
File: 1459638858972.jpg (18KB, 278x258px) Image search: [Google]
1459638858972.jpg
18KB, 278x258px
>>31865183
>200 days
>>
>>31858597
If you want to work on small arms, why would you join the branch that uses them the least?
>>
File: no muz.jpg (8KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
no muz.jpg
8KB, 290x174px
>i want to enlist in the army like no ones business.
>have a few deep cut scars in my arm that look like self harm
>tfw even if i did get in, id feel horrible if i was to fuck up and get my whole group punished.
feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>31862342
> There was a pic posted last thread about why NUKE is so trash.

Oh hey, that was me.

>>31863919
Anybody?
>>
>>31865183
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, fuck off you fucking no nothing douche. Go put on your reflective belt or some shit.
>>
>>31864585
Wow, you're a fag.

>>31865183
Tell me more about 3d1x2, 3d0x2, and 3d1x3, and tell me what are the promotion rates for those AFSCs.
>>
>>31864585
you were an 0311? serous question, how bad is the initial ass beating you get when you first get into you unit?
>>
So I'm about 10 lbs overwieght. Not over mu maximum weight, just over what is "normal" for my height. I haven't been working on my running, I can get through my push ups but my sit ups are for shit and I leave for Navy RTC in one week. Howe fucked am I?
>>
>>31867554
>I haven't been working on my running
start. youd be surprised how much running can improve your cardio in a week. it willhelp get rid of that 10 lbs too
>>
Which branch has the hottest black men to fuck?
>>
>>31867616
air force
>>
I assume 29 years old with a bum knee, depression, and exercise induced asthma is probably a no-go for any branch of the US Military?
>>
>>31867682
air force
>>
>>31867682

Believe it or not, you might slide with everything but the depression.
>>
>>31867764
>depression
not the guy you responded to, but im pretty sure i have it. i never saw a dr for it or anything though. wut do?
>>
>>31867827

If you actually HAVE medical depression then the military probably isn't for you. Suicide is something that happens.
>>
>>31867889
my depression is mostly related to the fact that my family is fucked up, and im currently going nowhere in life. i was thinking the military would give me the structure and a sense of purpose i seek.
>>
>>31868010

That's not depression, that's being sad because of shitty things happening.

Yes, the military provides those two things.
>>
E5 in army MI here. Ask away
>>
>>31868081

>Yes, the military provides these two things.

fuck yeah, its always nice to have a reason to live.
>>
File: 1425770426832.gif (623KB, 360x263px) Image search: [Google]
1425770426832.gif
623KB, 360x263px
>that poor guy doing my background check having to sift through 7 years of excessive /d/ usage in my internet history
>>
>>31868237
branch and mos? he'll probably give up after seeing the first thread. or insta D/Q you.
>>
>>31859783
You fucked up. However depending on your specific rate the degree to which it sucks will vary.

Also it sucks the most when you're on an attack submarine.
>>
I'm from New Zealand. My grandparents on my mothers side are English and Welsh.

I don't want to join our shitty military and fuck around delivering aid to pacific islands before getting stomped if we ever actually have to go to war.

Is there any way for me into a decent military? Like the US or UK. Don't say FFL because I dislike French people.

Sorry for blog.
>>
>>31868329
being a member of the commonwealth you could probably get into the brit army
>>
>>31868357
Yea see that's what I am hoping, but I can't seem to find out for sure either way. I was hoping someone would have been in a similar situation and have a definite answer.

To any Americans: Is there a way to get citizenship through service in the event Trump wins?
>>
>>31867471
Wait, you get jumped into a unit in the Marines?
>>
How's life on the flightline?

How's it like?

>>31868397
Signs point to no. I think you might be able to get citizenship through the military if you already have a visa, though, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>31865344
>Is there a huge difference between Air National Guard and regular Air Force?
Some differences:

-AGRs have to work one weekend a month on top of daily.

-Some states don't do TA for weekenders and the GI Bill for weekenders is weak. If you're interested in college benefits research the state you're interested in first.

-Promotion can be a beast. It depends on the unit. Different units have different UMDs and amounts of rank. Different units have different views about retention after 20.

For example: In Wyoming, they stood up a unit with not a lot of rank and various weekenders got AGR slots... so you might have a weekender TSgt who gets an AGR slot with little to no TAFMS and since they don't care if you stay past 20, that TSgt might hold down that slot for well over 20 years.

In my current unit, they try to red line people at 20 and there's a ton of rank in this unit. Can't throw a stone without hitting a MSgt. I went up two stripes with ease after being stuck at SSgt for ages. SMSgt is a bit more difficult (close, but I missed out recently).

+Easy to retrain in the ANG. I have 5 completely different AFSCs.

+Easy to stay where you want or move to where you want.

+If you want to deploy a lot or not at all, there's a unit for you somewhere to accommodate.

+If you're interested in being an officer, all the slots on UMDs I've ever seen start at Major. At least you don't have to worry about getting drummed out for not making Major if you want to stick around.

>>31865390
>I can tell you that every Air National Guard wishes they where active duty.
Not me. I like that I found a cozy unit and have been here for 5.5 years straight.

>>31865802
>Can someone explain why it is harder to go from reserve to active? \\
Don't know about reserve, but guard to active used to be easy before 9/11. It has to do with the AD numbers game, not so much with the ANG side.
>>
Cont'd

>>31867417
>Tell me more about 3d1x2, 3d0x2, and 3d1x3
1X2 is my favorite. 0X2 is not the best 3d AFS, but not bad compared to a lot of other AF jobs. I didn't like 1X3. Note: I have actually held all three of these career fields.

>what are the promotion rates for those AFSCs.
Pretty much the same as most.

>>31868651
>How's life on the flightline?
Fuck that shit. That was my first career. Tons of hard work. Zero appreciation for going above and beyond.
>>
File: image.png (66KB, 250x196px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
66KB, 250x196px
Is Cryptographic Linguist the only army translator mos?
>>
>>31867313
What caused the scars?

Don't worry about fucking up, as long as you don't do anything absolutely butt fuck retarded, nobody's gonna blame you for it. It's the DI's job to give you a hard time, and even if you are perfect, he'll find an excuse
>>
>>31867682
>Knee
Is your knee good? If so, don't tell anyone about it. I guess you could tell your recruiter, but if he doesn't put it in your packet don't tell them at MEPS.

>Asthma
You can get away with it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Know a couple guys with asthma that lied and got in though. So it depend on how bad it is.

>Depression
If you've never been diagnosed you don't have t. Shut your mouth about it and don't go get diagnosed and you're good to go.
>>
>>31868733
You got five different AFSCs? Tell me about them.

How were the hours on flightline?

Thank you so far, you're really helpful.
>>
Which branch is the laziest (work ethic wise), the whiniest and the fattest?

I want to look good in the easiest way possible.
>>
File: 1449368181084.jpg (40KB, 552x828px) Image search: [Google]
1449368181084.jpg
40KB, 552x828px
>>31867471
Yes. There is no ass beating when you hit a unit. You just get treated like shit. Moderate hazing.

When you get promoted you have to leave the backing off your Chevron so guys can punch it into your skin. When you become a corporal you earn a blood stripe, and all the other NCOs will jump them after and kick their legs.

I don't know if it's Marine Corps wide, but in my unit if people knew it was your birthday you also got jumped. Called a birthday beating. Protip: don't show your unit your ID if anyone asks, their looking for your birth date.
>>
Just became an officer cadet, Australian Army.

How do i not be a piece of shit?
>>
>go to see muhreen recruiter
>tell him I have high blood pressure
>says I probably won't be able to enlist
Fuck me.
>>
>>31869468

You forgot rule #1, don't tell the recruiter shit.
>>
>>31869499
They would have found out at meps anyway.
>>
>>31869499
He's not supposed to be smart, which is why he is shooting for the enlisted corps.
>>
Where could I find an exercise routine that Would prepare
>>
>>31869742
me for basic

whoops, that shit got cut off
>>
>>31862639
I mean technically Ranger Balls are great, but the Ranger Regiment isn't like being in some bullet catcher unit.
>>
>>31869004
Just got back from a spinal injection (damn flightline).

1995-2003 Comm/Nav 2A4X2/2A5X3A
I liked that I was really good at it, but the long hours in the heat/rain/snow doing serious work and getting shit on.. yeah, that sucked.

2003-2006 Comm Ops 3C0X1
Only did this as a weekender. All I actually did was network infrastructure (which I really liked), which wasn't part of Comm Ops.

2006-2010 Network Infrastructure 2E2X1/3D1X2
Loved it. Cisco shit just works. The more you know, the easier it is.

2010-2011 RF Trans 3D1X3
Worked HF ops (which was mostly sitting and listening to random alphanumerics in a freezing van), SMART-T maintenance (not bad). I helped a little with what I believe was a DSCS mobile shelter and that thing was a pain in the ass.

2011-2013 Cyber Surety 3D0X2
I didn't really do much Cyber Surety except for running the COMSEC account, which wasn't bad since I had previous experience as a CRO. I mostly did help desk and management these years, but I've done IA reporting before... it's just tedious busy work. Same with COMSEC, so I just don't like it as much as my current AFSC....

2013-present Cyber Transport 3D1X2
My unit had an AFSC conversion and since I was the only prior 7-level (any level) network guy, I got put back in my favorite career field. Doesn't really matter, though, since all I do is management.
>>
>>31868329
We had a guy from South Africa in our unit
>>
>>31858637

>that terrible spacing
>>
>>31859552

No reason not to make it. Military PT is baby shit.
>>
>>31860170

No.
>>
>>31860937

You can occasionally skip a drill, but you won't be getting paid.
>>
>>31869468
Tell him to stop being a lazy ass and get you a waiver.
>>
>>31870038
Recruiter probably has his quota met and others on stand by. Probably doesn't want the extra hassle.
>>
>>31861400

Yes.

>>31861728

>peak physical shape

This is true of some people in all branches, but a large portion of service members all the way through are guilty of

>dad bod
>no abs
>high-speed skeleton frame
>etc

>>31862354

Because once you've made it to be an NCO or lower-enlisted TL, SL, etc. you've been in charge of teaching people things and managing time. As a TL, I used to love teaching people things. I texted my PT strugglers to ask if they wanted to PT with me, took my poor shooters shooting, loved teaching people how to into radios and shit.

But I wouldn't be a school teacher. I don't like kids.
>>
>>31860867
>I'm pretty that's how it works.
Pretty sure, huh? What makes you pretty sure?

Why are you even giving out such advice?
>>
So just to clarify..

>broke my elbow nearly 10 years ago

Don't say shit about it to my recruiter, right?

>took meds every day for chronic migraines nearly 10 years ago

Don't say right about it to my recruiter, right?

>acne meds

Don't say shit about it to my recruiter, right?
>>
>>31868771
We one of them is when I was at my buddy's house and fell asleep in his basement, I woke up at like 3am having to piss like a racehorse. Tripped on a table, face planted Onto the floor and got a scrape on my head.

The ones on my arm I got when I got snagged on 2 folded over nails playing airshit.
>>
>>31870149
Yes stay quiet.

>Broken arm
Better not injure yourself in boot camp and need an X-ray. Once you're in a unit medical wouldn't care.
>>
>>31870199
I truly don't even remember which elbow I broke. Hell, I didn't even need a cast (just a sling and gauze), so I don't think it will get broken again
>>
>>31868237
The minute he sees 4chan he'll kick your shit back
>>
>>31870289

False. I have a TS/SCI and have had it for two years.
>>
>>31868237
Wait, what MOS actually goes through your internet history??
>>
>>31870169
Don't bring it up, but if anyone ask, say you cut yourself on some exposed nails while playing paintball(less edgy than airshit). As long as you aren't giving depressed vibes 24/7, they'll believe the truth. The scars probably don't even look as much like self harm scars as you think. It's not that uncommon to have a forearm injury, I'm covered in random ass scars from fucking about in the woods
>>
>>31870321

666S, lateral career field for shitposting
>>
>>31868721
If I'm from Dallas, can I join an Air Guard unit in Houston or Austin?
>>
>>31870386
i have a bunch of other nicks and other things from getting pegged by bbs and other various activities. I'm just worried because when I was last at the recruiters office, I heard one of the other recruiters saying something about his poole, "those scars don't look good, meps is gunna give him shit.... not good at all."
>>
>>31870484
There might be a bit of a hangup, but they're making assumptions. If they ask you about it, just don't worry, you're not lying about anything
>>
>>31870545
If there is a hangup, what happens then? Do they make me see a dr or something?
>>
File: 1478025072205519434942.jpg (989KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1478025072205519434942.jpg
989KB, 2592x1944px
>>31868746
I ask for you. I'm at dli with alot of army
>>
>>31865183
Been in a year and I know not much outside of my tech training (flight school 344th and pushing 8 months of dli)
>>
>>31870609
If they think it needs more looking into, they will go as far as they have to till they get a definite ok or an unfit to serve. If every kid who had a mean cat, they'd be missing some quality servicemen and they know it
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>31870964
Thank you for the help, bud. They're definitely deeper than a cat scratch or a self harm scar, so I think I'll be good after all. Thanks for your help.

Pic related.
>>
Why does an Army officer O-2 who has been in for 4 years make more than an E-9 enlisted who has been in for 20 years?

That's confusing.
>>
File: enlisted pregnancy PT session.jpg (143KB, 804x452px) Image search: [Google]
enlisted pregnancy PT session.jpg
143KB, 804x452px
>>31871140
You shouldn't be comparing ranks to the enlisted.

A smarter comparison would be officers with warrant officers.
>>
>>31871140

Because you can't attract someone with a bachelor's degree with enlisted wages.
>>
>>31871175
What's the enlisted guy in the back wearing?
>>
Went and saw the NG recruiter today. Got a 77 (percentile) on the shortened version he had of the AFQT. Likely to be able to qualify for a lot of jobs. Am likely going to strongly consider OCS or ROTC as I am going to college. Is 13f as good of an MOS as it sounds? My day job is going to hopefully be flight paramedic once I'm done with all of my education, but I'm not entirely married to my military job being the same as my day job.
>>
>>31871140
Enlisted = peasants
>>
>>31870479
It doesn't matter where you live or where you're from. You can join as long as they have a vacancy.

I've been in the CA, UT, WA, and WY ANG. I don't know too much about units east of Wyoming.
>>
>>31871140
Don't most NCOs make big bucks through BAH/Housing Allowance?
You have to count the other stuff dude not just the base pay
>>
>>31871621

>big bucks through BAH

Oh anon...
>>
>>31871621
>big bucks through BAH
Are you that guy who thinks 100% disability means you "made it big"?
>>
>>31858637
what are your thoughts on armoured infantry?
>>
>>31871474
Adding on to this, how is artillery/armor is general? Is it as awesome as it sounds, or does it actually suck?
>>
>>31871621
I'd say E-5 pay and below is embarrassing.
E-6 pay is pretty meh.
At E-7, I'm finally getting some decent pay ($5k/mo after taxes).
>>
>>31871186

Your daily reminder that enlisted do better than most people with Bachelor's degrees. You forget that a large swath of degrees only equate to $50-60k/yr jobs at most. It's only a few fields that can actually break six figures reliably.
>>
File: Harvard-ROTC_officers.jpg (127KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
Harvard-ROTC_officers.jpg
127KB, 700x465px
>>31871822
Which is why its a better idea for a Bachelor's degree holder to go into the officer corps than the enlisted corps.
>>
>>31871140

I get that you're b8ing hard, but this isn't even close to accurate.

The E-9 makes around $2000 more per month than the O-2 in this case. About a 50 % pay raise.
>>
>>31871834

I made way more money by enlisting with a degree than I would've by going through the commission process. Going officer is not always a good financial decision, particularly in a technical field.
>>
File: Yale ROTC.jpg (174KB, 978x540px) Image search: [Google]
Yale ROTC.jpg
174KB, 978x540px
>>31871842
I'd hope so, given being their for 20 years

Anyone interested in pay, check the following link: http://www.dfas.mil/dam/jcr:81e6bd2c-a106-461b-851d-c77c7066baa5/2016MilitaryPayChart.pdf
>>
>>31871874

Keep in mind that enlisted receive higher BAS than officers, and can receive more BAH depending on ranks.
>>
>>31869802
> you've been in for over 20 years
How're the retirement benefits?

Also, would this be accurate?

>3D0X1
>Knowledge Operations Management
Total ass job, literally just push paper and do audits, etc.

>3D0X2
>Cyber Systems Operations
Good job, you work with servers and storage, lots of outside potential. Just a generally good cyber background.

>3D0X3
>Cyber Surety
Ass, you basically are a living AF reg book that ensures stuff is compliant.

>3D0X4
>Computer Systems Programming
Like 2 of these jobs drop a year. All programming is basically contracted out.

>3D1X1
>Client Systems
Basically Geek Squad, when the commander's printer doesn't work, you're the one under his desk plugging and unplugging cables.

>3D1X2
>Cyber Transport
Routers and switches, my job. You're responsible not for the computers and servers, but for the infrastructure connecting all of them together.

>3D1X3
>RF Transmission Systems
Depending on your assignment, this can be cool or a drag. Cool would be doing satcom for SpecOps, lame would be maintaining the speakers on base. Probably going to get combined with 1X2.

>3D1X4
>Spectrum Operations
Don't know about this, from what I understand they do paperwork around radio freqs.

>3D1X5
>Radar
Don't do this if you're looking for cyber. It's a fine job, but it's not IT, you'd have a bit more limited employment opportunities.

>3D1X6
>Airfield Systems
Don't do this.

>3D1X7
>Cable and Antenna Systems
If you enjoy digging in dirt and climbing poles/antenna masts. It's not a bad job, but it can be some hard work. Definite employment opportunities outside.
>>
>>31869802
Oh yeah, and 3d0x2 is Cyber Systems Operations, not Cyber Surety. That's 3d0x3.

I was confused why you didn't say it was that good, seeing how you like 3d1x2.

You have to get spinal injections because of what you did on flightline?
>>
>>31872069

None of those AFSCs are authorized to wear the Cyberspace Operations badge, because none of them are real cyber jobs.
>>
>>31871055
That just further confirms that you're gucci. Those look nothing like self harm scars, they're way too wide. You could probably sell it on anything from a dog bite to barbed wire(stick with the nails tho)
>>
>>31872129
And which ones are?
>>
>>31870388
Seriously?
>>
>>31872160

1B4 and Cyberspace Operations officers.
>>
>>31871747
What does that $5k/mo consist of?
>>
>>31871822
>>31871851

Lolwut. Are you fucking high?

At year 3 you'll maybe be an e5 if you enlist, while you'll be an o3 if you commission. If you start with a bachelor's degree and enlist you'll start as... e4, I think, which is still paid much less than an o1, and o1's become o2's within six months.

>yfw recruiters are lurking here trying to get suckers to enlist
>>
>>31872179

Toppest kek
>>
Leaving for meps today, Ive had a concussion before but they told me not to say anything. They don't check med records do they?
>>
>>31872232

Different anon here, but I'm an E-6 w/6 years in and I can give my breakdown.

Base Pay - $3000~
Skill/Incentive Pay - $300~
BAH (untaxed) - $2500~
BAS (untaxed) - $350~

Base pay and incentive pay are taxed though, so even though that's over $6000/mo, I the two paychecks I get each month are only around $2600 each.
>>
>>31872197
> The technical school takes 16 months on average.
Holy fucking shit, is it worth it?

Even with absolutely no prior experience?
>>
>>31872258

I actually have a good test case for this because I enlisted right when one of my college friends commissioned. When we both started I was making approximately $400/month less than he was. By the time I got out, he was making about $1200 more, but I have a $96k/yr civilian job now and he's still choking on military dick for a couple more years.

Looking back, I definitely took the better route. Got to spend most of my enlistment in school/training, and built out a lot better resume than his.
>>
>>31871689
>>31871701
no one wants to tell us what armored is like?
>>
Is there a MOS where my carpentry/construction skills could be used/help me out? And what branch would that be for?
>>
>>31872407
Or arty. The idea of being able to be a tank gunner or call down artillery makes my dick hard, but if it's actually a miserable job I would like to find out.
>>
>>31872444
I would look at Army 12b. Unless you dislike the idea of getting shot at.
>>
Any Navy Divers on here?
>>
>>31872473
I just want to know if it's as cool as Girls und Panzer makes it seem desu senpai
>>
>>31872491

Thank you,

I do not mind getting shot at, but the whole "detecting mines" thing does not appeal as much to me.
>>
>>31872545
I mean my understanding is that that is more of an EOD job. That being said, there is a ton of other engineering shit in the Army. Just look around. If you like building shit Army is probably your best bet.
>>
>>31872545

Route clearance became a much bigger deal in the last couple conflicts for 12B because there were a lot of IEDs and a lot less building fortifications than in traditional force-on-force warfare.

All MOS duties evolve to suit the conflicts we're in, that is just the way of the military.
>>
>>31872585
>>31872590

I would prefer something like 12w, but I've never been too great at math. With something like that I feel like I'd have to spend a lot more time re-learning shit from High School than would benefit the others around me.
I'll take a closer look at infantry MOS's.
>>
>>31872407
I don't know about Army, but Marine Infantry doesn't put it in those terms.

We are given armored Humvees/Mraps etc. once in country.

Sometimes we do foot patrols, which we call unmounted patrols. And ones where we take our vehicles on, called mounted patrols.

We are the ones that drive them and operate them, and battalion motor T guys maintain them. Anything with more firepower or armor falls into combat arms support.
>>
>>31872624
Yeah, in the army/national guard M1 crew member is its' own MOS (19k).
>>
>>31872641
We have tank crewman too. Your mistake was calling it Infantry. It is combat arms definitely. I don't think an 11 series would call it Infantry either.
>>
>>31872624
>>31872641
cool
I was interested in hearing about tanks though
>>
I leave for Navy RTC in one week. Any last minute tips?
>>
>>31872940
practice your cock-sucking skills
>>
>>31872069
>How're the retirement benefits?
Well... 50% of my base pay for the rest of my life, when I get there. That seems decent to me.

>Also, would this be accurate?
Note that all those jobs are (in my opinion) way better than anything on the flightline. But I would generally agree with that list... except for a few of those descriptors:
Client Systems
Although help desk doesn't position you for a money job on the outside, I did help desk for a couple years and found it very fulfilling (compared to the flightline). #1 It's not particularly hard, #2 If you treat your customers right, they appreciate it. (In contrast, I did fierce work on the flightline, put everything I had into it, and got treated like shit all the time). This might vary from unit to unit, but if you're really sharp and have good customer service, you should get some decent treatment.

RF Trans
Maintaining speaker on base? Oh yeah, forgot about the Ground Radio half. When I think RF Trans, I think Sat terminal maintenance and operation, which I didn't really like. But for a young pup, it's not a bad job. Much better than cable dog (3D1X7) and Sat terminal maintenance used to have money contractor positions available.

>You have to get spinal injections because of what you did on flightline?
I don't think it helped. I first threw out my back lifting an APN-59 R/T and it's never been good since.

>>31872106
I meant to put 3D0X3. I had a great time during my Cyber Surety years because I wasn't really doing that job much. I didn't take over the COMSEC account until 2013 and I didn't deal with IA much. If I had to do actual Cyber Surety all the time, sure it would be okay. But compared to 3D1X2, I just didn't feel an affinity for those jobs. I just didn't think that stuff was fun like infrastructure or rewarding like help desk work.

>>31872232
BASE PAY 4472.70
BAS 368.29
BAH 1263.00
FEDERAL TAXES -634.50
FICA-SOC SECURITY -277.31
FICA-MEDICARE -64.85
>>
>>31870886
Really just here to help people with BMT.
>>
>>31867385
>>31873102
>>31873102
>>31873102
>>
File: senior colonel.jpg (10KB, 256x171px) Image search: [Google]
senior colonel.jpg
10KB, 256x171px
What the fuck is a Senior Colonel?

I thought that was just a general?
>>
Oh, by the way, aside from cable dog (and I'll admit, I haven't worked side by side with those guys... I just saw them slaving away in the desert sun), most 3D jobs (even the ones not as desirable as others) are pretty decent. If your recruiter says the only 3D job that's available is RF Trans or Cyber Surety, fucking take it. If you're in magical christmasland and get whatever you want, I'd recommend Cyber Trans.

My back is rough atm, so I'm going to go lay down... but I'll be back in a few hours.
>>
Cant seem to find any information on the differences between 11b and 11x, can anyone clarify?
>>
>>31873207

11X = Enlistment contract where you go to OSUT and find out whether you're 11B or 11C.

11B = Infantrymen

Unless you're a reservist, you can only get 11X.
>>
>>31873207
Not Army, but I'm pretty sure x is being used as a variable. As in 11x means 11 series, either 11B or 11C etc.
>>
File: radcap-gnome-bubbles-money1.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
radcap-gnome-bubbles-money1.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>31873229
>>31873232
Ohh, okay, thank you.
The website I was looking at didn't clarify so I was confused.
>>
>>31873118
>what the fuck is
Ranks are as follows

å°‘å°‰ Second Lieutenant
中尉 First Lieutenant
上尉 Captain
å°‘æ ¡ Major
中校 Lieutenant Colonel
上校 Colonel
大校 Senior Colonel
å°‘å°† Major General
中将 Lieutenant General
上将 General
>>
>>31871055
>hook on nails playing airshit
>see those deep ass gouges in skin
Not saying you're bullshiting, but how did that happen?
>>
A few options here.
>Finish School with Information Technology Degree
>Apply to OCS
>Try to find a job in the military that has something to do with IT.
Possible?

I don't really know what I want out of life and I've always felt I belonged in the military.
Unrelated questions:
>Asian and can speak Tagalog and Korean
Any use? More likely to ship me to asia?
>Bad Vison
I'm not sure how bad, but it's not great, but I don't wear glasses and I can read/drive/function fine. How will that effect me?
>Asthma
Had childhood asthma, possibly diagnosed after 13 - but otherwise I'm fine with running and am relatively /fit/. Can I lie?
>>
>>31873364

>OCS -> IT Job

That's not really how OCS works, anon. OCS means you'll be a manager, and they will assign you an area of concentration. If you want to do hands-on IT things, you have to enlist.
>>
>>31866971
It really doesnt unless you are a college student. Most of the guys that come through my office that join the reserve once they come back from basic and AIT they start asking about the conditional release which that early on is about as possible as bringing someone back from the dead.

>>31867313
Then get a doctor to vouch for you that the scars arent self harm amd have your recruiter include that in your packet.

>>31867682
If you have been diagnosed by a doctor and its in your med records it will probably come up.

If you realized you had the symptoms and self diagnosed then you should be ok.

>>31868010
Like the other poster said thats a normal response to your shit circumstances. If you were mever diagnosed, join and get the fuck away from home.

>>31869745
Branch?

>>31871055
Youll be fine

>>31871621
E6 with 8 year. Without BAH I bring in 36k a year before taxes. Not great but its doable. The thing about BAH of you have a family and get a house sized appropriately the house and utilities will eat all of the BAH

>>31872313
>high BAH common woth major metropolitan areas
>300 dollar incentive pay

You stuck on recruiting aswell?

>>31872444
Traditionally carpentry/construction would be 12N

>>31873295
You would most likely be a B though. In my osut class only 7 guys out of 100 IIRC went to be charlies.
>>
File: Indian IT work.jpg (70KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
Indian IT work.jpg
70KB, 680x453px
>>31873384
You know who else does IT things.

Little Pajeet over here. Its better anon becomes a manager. Otherwise he's a stagnating retard who didn't gain additional skills.
>>
>>31868092
Is 35M a meme or is it really as cool as it sounds?
>>
>>31868092

Do you actually get to develop and run sources as a 35M, or do you just do interrogations?
>>
>>31873400

Well I'm not a college student, and when/if I do enlist I know for sure I want to be active.

>>31873400

Not sure what branch yet, but most likely Army. I just don't know what I need to ready myself for when it comes to basic.

>>31873400

12N seems pretty favorable, is there an option very close to it that would be more combat oriented?

>>31873400

11B is also fine, but thats not me saying I wont give it my all to see all options in infantry.
>>
>>31873407
>You know who else does IT things.
>Little Pajeet over here.
But Pajeet won't get a TS/SCI clearance, so Pajeet won't be getting sweet contractor jobs.
>>
File: IMG_4440.jpg (1MB, 2127x2838px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4440.jpg
1MB, 2127x2838px
>>31873475
Gotcha man best of luck in what ever you decide. When you sogn yoir contract and you get your future solider orientation you should get a pic related. Its very very very basic stuff to help you get on the track you need to be on prior to you shipping off to basic.

If you want a more combat related job combat engineer would be a good option. But comparing a 12N to a 12B is like comparing a baseball player to a football player. Both athletes. Ut two totallly dofferent skill sets.

Me personally i love being 11 series and if i had to do it all over again i would do the exact same thing. Except i would have joined right out of high school instead of waiting two years.
>>
>>31873346
Pretty much I was in a doorway entering a building where part of the frame had been broken away from the wall. Some other guy comes running up behind me and stands right next me in the doorway. As that happened a grenade comes rolling around the corner from one of the other doors in the hall. I went muzzle up and turned to my left to get out, 2 exposed nails dig right into my arm as I'm turning and i just powered through it thinking they were only hung up on my bdu jacket.

I knew I got scratched, but didn't known it was that deep until i looked down at my hand and saw blood all over it. Probably should have gotten stitches.
>>
>>31873592
Thanks bud.
I'm thinking of seeing the closest (fuckin' 20 miles away) recruiter in a few months after intense research and lots of exercise/training.

At this point I wish I took this route sooner, I was in ROTC in high school and that could have helped get me in the right direction a lot.
>>
Currently in college about 60 credits in and hate my major, my self and my life. I just met an Army recruiter today and scheduled for the test.
Don't know what I'll do yet but maybe infantry. Please tell me it's a horrible idea.
>>
>>31873647
Enlisted or officer?
>>
>>31872995
>>31873176
Thanks a lot for your input!

My recruiter said that the descriptions for those jobs weren't accurate when I showed them those (I know, I know. I just wanted to be sure), and that asshole is trying to put me through flightline and aptitude areas, none of which contain anything 3d.

Thanks for telling me how bad it is, and saying the descriptions for the jobs were accurate, or you corrected them!

Also, which is better, the Air Guard or Reserves, and which has more chances to be "deployed" ?

Also, don't you think you should become an officer before you retire to get better retirement pay? What and why not?
>>
>>31873653
enlisted, I don't have a college degree
>>
>>31873647
You sound whiny, with a crap work ethic, and destined to live a life of not being satisfied. You'll be right at home in the military.

What you need is a nice big man to help tell you how to live. To give you direction. A father figure to lead you as you are unable to lead yourself.
>>
>>31873716
You are right, that's why I'm considering doing the 4 years to get a better sense of direction in life.
>>
0331 vs 0311. What are the pros and cons of each?
>>
>>31873785
>Pros
None

>Cons
Youre a marine

Join the army.
>>
>>31873645
So i did several months worth of research before i ever walked into the office. I knew what i wanted and wasn't going to take anything else. The recruiter tried to sell me on some shit i didn't want so I walked out and came back two weeks later and talked with a recruiter that listened to me. Your enlistment is the only time you will have control on the timeline. But additionally dont walk into the office if you aren't willing to sign within that week. Do your research and when you are ready reach out to them, going anywhere.

Another thing is if your scores dont qualify you for a job then there is nothing you or a recruiter can do. So get online and take a few asvab practice tests. 4tests.com is a good one that some of my people have used with great results.
>>
>>31873785

dont listen to these cock gobbling chairforce POGs
>>
>>31873384
"OCS means you'll be a manager, and they will assign you an area of concentration."
what does this mean
>>
>>31873830
Its literally just one Airfag. The same 30 year old who talks about his IT job,
>>
>>31873424
95% meme
>>
>>31873455
Interrogations come later in your career and it seems like you wont be doing any unless you go SOF right now. Shit is a lot more constrained than you believe.
>>
>>31873829

Wow thanks, I'm surprised I didn't already think about doing practice ASVAB tests. I think I took a practice for it in ROTC in High School, but I've slept since then.

I'll be sure to not fall for traps that don't get me an MOS I would like, just because I'm excited about enlisting.
>>
>>31873889
Yes dude when they dangle those 25k bonuses for jobs that are understrength it grabs alot of people. But doing something you want for 3 to 4 years is worth not getting a fat enlistment bonus and a job you hate.
>>
>>31865183
What do I need to do to fly an F-22 or F-35?
>>
>>31873785
You gonna get green weinered either way.

Unless you got a boner for Machine guns, you wanna be an 11.
>>
>>31873647
I don't regret my time as an 11b, it was full of suck, but it helped put a lot of shit in perspective and showed me where I wanted to go with my life. In day to day life, I feel like I'm barely putting in any effort, but I still manage to out-effort and out-perform everyone around me. Everything's easy mode after infantry.

Specifically that I wanted to do an easy desk job in a climate controlled office (with a roof!) with regular, daylight hours. After which I could go home, shit in an actual toilet, and eat a hot meal that wasn't an MRE and then go to sleep in a soft bed (again, under a roof).

Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>31873936
Thank you for that reply. I think I'm in a similar situation as you were. Did you have a lot of options when you chose to go with it, or was it out of desperation?
>>
>>31873919

Don't really want a family, and I am fine living without much money as I have most of my life. So I'm hoping that the talk of big moneys doesn't persuade me into something I wasn't planning on.

Also, what are some things at home I can do to ready me physically for basic and whatever else it may help with?
>>
>>31873994
Think about it like this, those jobs that have those bonuses are under strengthed for a reason.

If you are at home push ups and sit ups and running. Before i shipped i would do push ups every hour on the hour. Started with 20 and moved up to 45 by the time i shipped. The first week was rough but i got used to it.
>>
>>31874044

I've been doing push ups and curls (with dumbbells), along with several other things for months now. I'd say I was already rather fit from doing construction with my friends and family for a year or so, but I've been improving.

What is a good goal to reach for pu, su, and running?
>>
>>31874044
>45
keks
you wanna do good at pt
join a fraternity keks
>>
>>31874044
Are the Army's push-ups 2 count or 4 count?
>>
>>31872337
what job in the military?

that some baller salary, what field?

yea these questions are tedious but i need to know!
>>
>>31874075
Apft is graded based on your age you can look uo the score charts online and see what the max is.

>>31874113
Heres a (you)
>>
File: download (2).jpg (8KB, 233x216px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
8KB, 233x216px
>>
>>31873974
I maxed the ASVAB+line scores. Could've done literally anything I wanted. My reasoning for going infantry was "If you're gonna enlist during wartime, might as well get the full experience."

In hindsight, it was a terrible reason, but sometimes the final result of a terrible decision turns out pretty ok.
>>
File: IMG_0838.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0838.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Thread probably dead here but I'm gonna ask anyways.

>usar 3 years through 6x8 contract
>shits gay yo
>want to join navy as possibly seabee after contract because it sort of translates to my mos (88m)

Would I still have to go through navy boot camp since I already did basic training? And do seabees do cool shit or is it just gonna be another lie

Pic unrelated, just 4.5 pl8s CMON son
>>
>>31874115
Army push-up = 2 count = 1 actual push-up
Marine push-up= 4 count = 2 actual

Keep in mind it's just a retarded way of counting. We don't do that much more, if any. Usually 20-25 so 40-50 during a PT session.

Push-ups are part of Army PFT so I wouldn't be surprised if you focused more on them. Marines are always on the pull up bar.
>>
>>31873842

You do not directly pick your job with OCS. You compete with your peers for available officer slots.
>>
>>31874127

I do technical contract work w/ a clearance.
>>
>>31874288
What is this competition based on.
So basically a bunch of officer slots are listed, you decide what you want, you choose it, then people look at your stats?
>>
>>31874299

Physical fitness, GPA, leadership potential, etc. You'll make a wish list of what you want and then depending on how you rank against your classmates you might get it.

Not all branches are always available at OCS though.
>>
>>31874335
>Not all branches are always available at OCS though.
Elaborate please.
What if I have a wife, do they get to go along or no?
>>
>>31874271
>Marines are always on the pull up bar

That's about to change.
>>
>>31874350

Certain small branches might not have any slots in your OCS class. Other branches might have just a few slots so you only really have a chance if you're among the best in your class. Basically, if you're not flexible on what kind of field you're going to work in, being an officer is probably a poor choice. You go officer primarily to be an officer, not a particular kind.

Your family won't be there for OCS. Follow-on training is longer and you can bring your family though.
>>
>>31874384
Yeah yeah, I heard.

I think it's BS. My understanding was they get the option to choose pull ups or push ups. And to max out they still have to do more push-ups than the Army does.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>31874423
>Marines will only get a max of 70 points on the upper-body strength event if they choose pushups. And to hit 100 points, Marines will need to do more pullups than previously required.
>Men in the 21-25 age group will need to complete 23 pullups for a max score under the new rules. The max drops as low as 18 for male Marines over the age of 51. Women between 26 and 30 will need 10 pullups for a max score. That requirement drops to eight pullups though age 40, and bottoms out at three when women hit age 51.
>If Marines choose pushups, the best they can score is a 70. Men between the ages of 21 and 25 will need 87 pushups to earn max points. Marine women aged 26-30 would need 50 pushups to get the maximum 70 points. In comparison, soldiers need between 71 and 77 for a max score of 100 points on the Army's fitness test.
>All Marines will be given the option to perform either exercise. If pullups are selected and the Marine is not able to perform the minimum number of repetitions — which is five for most men — they will then take the pushup test. If the Marine is not able to achieve the minimum, which is between 34 and 42 for most male Marines, and 14 to 19 for most women, they'll fail the event.
>>
>>31874384
Explain?
>>
>>31874493
Interesting. I wondered but never looked it up.

I never did 20 pull ups, 18 was my max. Granted I didn't make it my life mission to get to 20. I was comfortable with it.

Still that scored me 90 points instead of 70, this whole bullshit happened when they let fucking women in combat MOS.
>>
>>31874585
I should have linked the article.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/07/01/11-things-marines-need-know-corps-new-fitness-rules/86582012/

Honestly it's better than what the standards are now. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>31873931
Be a officer
>>
File: kissinger.jpg (21KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
kissinger.jpg
21KB, 700x450px
My main hangup with joining the military is that US policy makers more or less view soldiers as dumb pawns to be sacrificed in the name of their agendas. I don't want to put my life on the line to facilitate their goals.
>>
>>31873931
You want the 11FX job.

Check your school's ROTC program.
See if your degree matches up with what they want.
>>
File: image.png (201KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
201KB, 900x900px
>>31870856
Do it plz.
>>
>>31874969
I'm joining because using rifles is fun and so is running

being this autistic about it is a tad unnecesary
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 407x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 407x960px
>>31874969
You are a pawn regardless, anon. Might as well be a fighting pawn instead of a shitty weak pawn.
>>
>>31875014

>pawn noises intensify

>>31875032

That actually makes sense.
>>
>>31875014
I want to call myself a soldier and remove kebab.

Maybe we shall meet, anon.
>>
>>31874969
>US policy

Implying that other nations don't use their soldiers as tools of foreign policy, even though "a tool of foreign policy" is literally the entire reason that militaries exist?
>>
File: 1476920608053m.jpg (63KB, 1024x683px)
1476920608053m.jpg
63KB, 1024x683px
Anyone have any experience with the Marine Corps Reserve?

I'm an active duty artyfag. EAS in a little over half of a year. I'm considering the Reserves in the event that I want to stay in. This is because I want to actually have time for school, and can't stand the daily fuckery of active duty life.

It's only a vague idea at this point. But, if somebody could help me out with these two points, it'd be appreciated:

>are the drill periods any better than being active?

If it's just more Uncomplicated Shit Made Complicated, forget about it.

>are the rumors of reservists being incompetent and lazy true, or exaggerated?

I don't know any reservists, and I've never worked with them. I'm good on the gun line and most people appreciate that. I'm fairly experienced (nothing cool, MEU baby wih a lot of field ops) but it may be something I could take to people who've never been active. I'd be willing to teach people. But if I'd have an entire chain of command that's lost in the sauce, or with people who didn't care at all about learning their MOS - it'd bug me. I'd consider a lat move in the reserves, or however that works, but I wouldn't want to come to a unit with a new job and no useful information to pass as a corporal.

Anybody who's got experience in the reserves who's got an input is more than welcome to respond.
>>
>>31875120

The distinction is Kantian anon. I'm not saying that every nation doesn't devolve into seeing its soldiers as solely a means rather than an ends in themselves, but that doesn't mean that I care to subject myself to the machinations of such people in a direct capacity.
>>
File: image.gif (3MB, 475x267px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3MB, 475x267px
>>31875032
True words
>>
>>31875130
>Devolve

See, you're still thinking that this is some kind of unfortunate end-state instead of an inherent quality of the military. Trading in your agency is just an inherent part of military life, anon, and always has been.

In return for possibly getting your life spent by society in the pursuit of its interests, you receive a generous compensation package of pay and benefits. The only major difference here is that our society is so rich that we can afford to make the compensation package so good that we don't have to force anyone to join.

I know you took Philosophy 101 and think you're having deep thoughts about this but, really, every retarded 17 year old that joins the military knows this and is pretty cool with it.
>>
>>31875365

It isn't Philosophy 101 that concerns me, it's International Rrelations 402. Particularly, the fact that it's less the national interest and more the private interest of those in power.

That said, anything you do serves the interests of the vested in our society, so I may as well kill people and break things for a high degree of compensation.
>>
So. How competitive are ROTC scholarships?

Am I basically guaranteed because Im black? :^)
>>
>>31872940
Learn how to fold clothes, workout in the laundry room after taps if you actually want to do better on the PRT
>>
>>31858597
Be a GM in the Coast Guard, it's better
>>
>>31872940
Change you're sexual orientation if you haven't done so already.
>>
>>31873676
>Also, which is better, the Air Guard or Reserves, and which has more chances to be "deployed" ?
I really don't know much about the reserves. For deployment, it depends on your unit. I know of a few units where there are zero OCONUS deployments. But I don't imagine that's normal.

>Also, don't you think you should become an officer before you retire to get better retirement pay? What and why not?
I didn't finish my bachelor's degree until after I was 34.
>>
What MOS would let me use small handheld drones?
>>
Also, before I stop posting for the day, something to keep in mind about the ANG:

I'm an AGR (full-time), but not all units have lots of AGRs slots. Some are full of technicians. You'll have to do some research on the unit you're interested in to see if it even has AGRs in the career fields you're interested in. Something to keep in mind when talking to ANG recruiters.

And if they have lots of AGR slots, but you aren't prior service, you'll probably need some kind of prior service to actually land the job. You can either do ADAF first, or you can get a weekend slot, impress them, then apply for an AGR slot, but sometimes it can be competitive.
>>
>>31872337
Required service for an officer is 3-5 years depending on commissioning source, which is on par with an enlistment contract. Your story doesn't make any sense.

Also, you're making approximately what an O-3 makes. If he's still in after you completed your contract, he's making as much as you.
>>
>>31874299
At no point in OCS will anyone look at your stats or decide that because you have experience in X or a degree in X that they should put you in X job. A person with a degree in physical fitness has just as much a change at being a signal officer as a person with a degree in IT.
>>
>>31871474
>>31871701

Embrace the suck and make boom-booms while doing SMP, my dude.
>>
I've heard horror stories about guys in intelligence getting their sources outed by reckless officers outside of intel (resulting in the source's death) or blown up after being put on the kinetic list by trigger happy fucks up the chain of command.

Is there truth to this?
>>
>>31876746
My recruiter actually mentioned SMP. Think I'm gonna go for it.
>>
Im in the national guard and I just dont give a shit anymore. I have drill this weekend and an apft, I havent done pt in 8 months lol. I only have a year and half left. Im basically a NEET whenever im not at drill. What do I do /MEG/?
>>
>>31877837
Fail like a bitch and waste years of work by getting chaptered for being a shitbag instead of separating normally at the end of your service.
>>
>>31877920
Well actually they dont chapter you for failing pt tests in the national guard. And Ive only been in for a year and a half. Ive just all motivation and I dread going to drill every month. Its affecting my comfy civilian life that I much prefer.
>>
>>31869818
Which military?
>>
Anybody know if AF 1B4X1 (Cyber Warfare Operations) is open to first time enlistees or do you still have to cross train into it?
>>
>>31876746
>>31877120
What's SMP?
Symmetric Multi-Processing?
>>
>>31874969
>Kissinger
Funny thing is he was an enlisted man in the army.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.