[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

co-witnessing question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
do y'all co-witness? if so how does one zero? separately or together? help a noob out!
>>
Separate, lower 1/3 cowitness is my preference
>>
>>31855497
>Separate
they'll line up that way? I read on some gun blog to do them together in order to make sure they're aligned with each other
>>
Whichever you like. It really doesn't matter
>>
>>31855474
No. I find it faintly ridiculous.
>>
>>31855836
>faintly
k
>>
What's the point of it? In case the glass breaks?
>>
>>31855558
even if its absolute the dot and the irons wont be in the same place since the dot will move around when you move your head

if its absolute you can prezero the reddot by matching it to the irons then fine tune it later
>>
File: P1020057 (Medium).jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1020057 (Medium).jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
>>31855860
Yeah, that's my reasoning, or more like batteries die. I know I'm using sub par quality red dots to save money, so this is part of my solution. It's not a necessity of course, but I like the option.
>>
>>31855897
oh I see, thanks - I think i'll do lower 1/3 co-witness, sounds like the best option
>>
>>31855916
Keep in mind cowitness only applies to fixed sights, if you can fold both down, that is the best option.
>>
>>31855907
>sub par quality red dot
like which one?
>>
>>31855930
Bushnell trs25, primary arms red dot and the advanced version, holosun, etc.

They're still pretty good, and easy on the wallet.
>>
>>31855930
>>31856011
Primary Arms microdot. I've already had one melt on me with that rifle, so the cowitness is pretty convenient, even though I'm pretty confident in their overall durability.

Gotta be able to afford ammo somehow.
>>
>>31855474
I use complete.
>>
File: 1452500649615.jpg (73KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452500649615.jpg
73KB, 300x300px
cowitnessing is fucking retarded.

If I'm using a red dot, I don't want to see anything in my sight picture but a red dot. I want as little metal protruding from the bottom of where the optic tube is.
>bluh bluh but wut if yer optic fails?!?!1
>yer batteries will fail!!

Highly unlikely and a non-argument. Why do people say this? Do people know that a single CR2032 costs fifty cents? Are you incapable of replacing your battery every year? People really need to understand how durable something like an aimpoint or trijicon optic is. Hell, a primary arms advanced dot is fairly rugged given that most civilians will never have to subject their optic let alone their rifle to any sort of harsh conditions. The only "harsh" environment I can see with a red dot in a civillian's situation is if they have a primary arms on an ultimak. That's it.

At most, I'll keep my front sight post up. Absolute cowitness is absolute retardation. If you have any doubts on the ruggedness of your optic, chances are you haven't put it through its paces, done your research on it or just have a plain shitty amazon special sitting on your equally garbage rifle.
>>
>>31855474
If you're using fixed iron sights, then do a lower 1/3 cowitness, so when you are actually using the dot you have a largely clear view but can still use your irons if need be

If you're using flip up sights, it literally doesn't fucking matter because when the sights are flipped down you aren't aiming through them, and the only time you'd probably have them flipped up is if the dot is turned off or broken, again making the cowitness pointless
>>
>>31856362
good point
>>
>>31856268
it's good enough for old billy
>>
File: vhMyjxX.jpg (582KB, 2047x1334px) Image search: [Google]
vhMyjxX.jpg
582KB, 2047x1334px
>>31858332
if you're thinking operator santa is Billy Waugh, you're sadly mistaken
>>
>>31855860
also if you have a front post its going to be in the way anyway (on a standard sight mount), might as well set up the back sight as well.
>>
>>31856268

Absolute cowitness is 100% dumb with fixed sights.
With flip up irons, it's actually an ideal setup. No obstruction in your red dot, and both the optic and irons are at the ideal centerline height.

1/3 cowitness is okay when you have a fixed FSB and a folding rear sight, it allows you to use the red dot without much obstruction and still have the option to use irons if necessary.

What's fucking retarded is having folding irons and keeping them deployed "just in case", especially if you have the optic at absolute cowitness height.
>>
>>31856083
>I've already had one melt on me with that rifle

It's mounted directly to the gas tube. What did you think would happen?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.