[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gas Piston vs Direct Impingement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: 1434037875776-0.jpg (463KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1434037875776-0.jpg
463KB, 1920x1080px
I know we've been over this 1000 times but every time someone convinces me not to buy a gas piston, someone else convinces me to buy one. I'm gonna buy a high end AR soon and was just gonna spring for a Daniel Defense but now the LWRC piston rifles are starting to look really nice to me. Both arguments have essentially boiled down to:
>Gas piston is more reliable
>No DI is more reliable
I'm just not convinced either way. Money is not an issue btw I work two jobs.
>>
File: IMG_20160824_193220.jpg (311KB, 794x1070px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160824_193220.jpg
311KB, 794x1070px
>>31855365

Just buy the DD and stop bitchin
>>
No one outside of 'spergs on /k/ cares. No one will ever come up and ask to see your gas system. If they do, they're a fucking weirdo and they want to collect your teeth and toe nails to make jewelry, so don't let them near you.
>>
Piston adds unwarranted complexity, points of failure, and weight, without a corresponding improvement to reliability. If you want a piston, buy a gun designed to use one, and not some AR retrofit. They are designed to use the stoner gas system and only that.
>>
>>31855424
I'm not buying a certain kind to impress you fucks, I'm just trying to get the absolute best in an AR.
>>31855428
So by buying an LWRC piston designed AR I would be saving myself from the most of the notable issues with pistons?
>>
>>31855451
No, because the issues are still present there. If you want it, get it. But it in no way is an improvement. If I wanted another piston 5.56, I'd be looking at FN's offerings.
>>
does piston system still cause bolt carrier cant? Or are there specific models made specially to address this?
>>
>>31855365
DI is lighter, and simpler.
>>
>>31855487
I've heard the issue was addressed but not who it was addressed by so I guess I have the same question.
>>
>>31855451
An LWRC AR is about the best you can get from a piston AR. I still wouldn't get one, but I have seen many come through the shop and heard good things about them.
>>
>>31855524
Would that make it an improvement in terms of reliability and long term function over the DI system?
>>
What is the technical best piston upper? I hate piston but maybe as a toy I might consider it.
>>
>>31855540
No
High end DI > High end piston
>>
I saw LWRC has a DI AR available, should I just drop Daniel and go for their model?
>>
>>31855540
probably not
when the military has dumped money into identifying if piston guns are worth the switch, the answer is usually "no"
>>
suppressed short barreled full auto = gas piston
anything else = DI
>>
>>31855650
well, don't the military only commit if the benefits are huge vs. the money they'll have to dump into upgrading?
>>
Well IV8888 made that video where they shoot over 2,000 rounds through a piston AR and even though it was hiccuping and had some stoppages full auto it was fixed with pretty remedial action (drop magazine, work charging handle, reinsert mag and chamber round) and when they put it to semi they didn't have issues then.

Granted that's anecdotal evidence and probably just them shilling for whatever company's AR it was but interesting results regardless.
>>
>>31855365
Autism:
it's not direct impingement please stop calling it that ARs don't use that gas system
>>
>>31855365
They both can be made very reliable given the correct parts. The LWRC rifles are reputedly the most reliable piston-operated AR-15.
>>
>>31855697
so... what does that mean?
>the benefits weren't huge or worth the money
>>
>>31855697
>well, don't the military only commit if the benefits are huge vs. the money they'll have to dump into upgrading?
That's their excuse. The true reason is that it's simply not worth replacing a rifle anymore unless something miraculous happens. Considering that artillery does over 75% of the killing in war, the military sees the standard issue rifle as more of a self-defense tool for the infantryman geared towards short to long range engagements.
>>
>>31855720
https://youtu.be/7Id_soYaAm8
>>
Hey OP I don't have a DD so I can't weigh in on DI, it I doe have a LWRC M6A2. I haven't had any problems with it and it stays very very clean. I managed to get both the upper and lower seperate for $1100 so it was worth it.
>>
>>31855941
Tell me how you got an LWRC for $1100
>>
>>31857010
Got the M6A2 upper of cdnn.com for $800, it came with Troy iron sights, and the M6A2 lower for $250 from another website. Lower came with pins and a basic trigger. Then I bought a stock for it. Can post pics if anyone wants.
>>
File: Capture.png (264KB, 397x280px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
264KB, 397x280px
>>31855365
The only benefit is that it runs cleaner. Other than that, theoretically you lose reliability. Not to mention, you're just making it more complicated to work on yourself, should the need arise.

It fixes a problem that never existed.
>>
>>31855365

Piston AR's are for niggers.
>>
>>31855365
In most of IV8888's meltdown bids, both piston and stoner-system rifles break right around 800-900rnds of continuous nonstop fully automatic fire.
>>
>>31858076
Niggers only buy cheap shit.
Pistons are always $2-300 more expensive
>>
I'm a southpaw and ARs spit gas in my face. Should i buy a piston or is there something else i can do? Am i doing something wrong?
>>
>>31858062
>less reliable
How so?
>>
>>31858264
get one of those charging handles with a gasket on em
>>
>>31855697
The actual, and I mean actual testing done on the M4, by Colt, where they used brand new rifles, not beat to shit training M4s, using good, brand new mags, not beat to shit GI mags, pretty much the same exact shit everybody else in the testing was doing, showed that many of the modern offerings of Piston guns either were marginally better or worse than the M4, under the same battle conditions. I believe one of those offerings was the SCAR16 which only had a couple less stoppages than the M4.

So, so long as you buy something that is confirmed to be HPI, MPI, decent quality control, Mil Spec, you really can't go wrong. You can always strap on the cool kiddies tacticool shit, which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Things like mono gas rings and Nickle boron BCGs tend to last longer than their mil spec counterparts.

>>31855720
The same happens with a DI AR. Drop mag, CH, the works, is standard military procedure when it comes to fixing jams.

>>31858264
Get an AR that ejects to the left.
>>
>>31858062
>The only benefit is that it runs cleaner.
Theoretically. You get carbon build up in the piston and in your handguards. You still get carbon blown into the action from the barrel when it cycles, just like a standard AR.
>>
>>31860059
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/08/ar-endurance-findings-at-a-rental-range/
>>
>>31855365
Gas piston systems are the new thing that hasn't really proven themselves yet. Time will tell but as long as you are buying from a reputable company such as LWRC PWS DD LMT or HK you are going to find yourself with an amazing rifle that runs clean and has solved "problems" caused by piston system guns such as carrier tilt and other stresses placed on the BCG. Weight i like, I think it makes the gun a little more well balanced.
>>
>>31855365
Good god, just buy both. Fuck..go obsess over shampoo and conditioner or air freshener or something. FUCK.
>>
>>31860360
Ah yes, the faggots that say their FN brand SCAR 17s that they get on discount from FN, ignore the sponsorship, lasts 200,000 rounds! And for the low, low price of 3,500 dollars, you too can have a rifle with a barrel that will "last" 35,000 rounds! Ignore SOCOM, Army, Colt, FBI, foreign, just any testing done in general. No listen to these true operational operators.
>>
I have a higher end di gun and I love it, wouldn't trade it for piston ar any day
I would like to pick up a scar 17 soon though
>>
>>31861017
>The opinions of a range that fires tens of thousands of rounds through their weapons every month
>HUrr TFB Durr
>>
>>31861161
>The opinions of paid shills vs the measured technical data of government Jews
lol. FN fanboys justifying their overpriced AR18s.
>>
>>31861885
Jesus fuck you're retarded. The article doesn't even have anything to do with SCARs. It talks entirely about the range's experiences with AR in both Piston and DI variants.
>>
Holy shit, how many times does this need to be said?
>Only under very, very specific circumstances does a piston system in an AR offer any real benefit over its usual system
>It adds more points of failure
>It's no more reliable
>It isn't cleaner
>It adds weight
>Unless it was designed from the ground up for a piston, issues like carrier tilt and peening BCGs will make themselves known.
>>
>>31862207
And as Battlefield Vegas has found, only a couple piston guns can even handle the extensive use rate they push through that DI versions have no trouble with.
>>
I don't have a bias, both have benefits and downsides. I will say PWS makes a great piston AR that solves a lot of the typical issues.
>long stroke piston for reduced recoil
>enhanced buffer tube/custom BCG make carrier tilt a non-issue
>somewhat light/not as heavy as other AR pistons
>>
>>31855365
Buy two, compare, get your own educated opinion, and report back.

My choice - two gas pistons so far. I'm not regretting not needing to spend hours cleaning.
>>
>>31862378
>spends hours cleaning an AR15
Ok
>>
>>31855451
fucking no.

What part of
>buy a gun designed to use one, not some AR retrofit
Do you not understand? An LWRC is an AR retrofitted to use a piston. ANY piston AR is an AR retrofitted to use a piston, and is subject to all the drawbacks of such.

If you want a piston rifle in 5.56 buy a fucking SCAR. If you want an AR, buy a DI AR.
>>
>>31855506
It was addressed by adding a tongue to the buffer tube and a champfer to the back of the BCG.

It does NOT eliminate carrier tilt, or even mitigate it. It does NOT eliminate the damage caused by carrier tilt, only mitigates it.

HK and Adams pretty much simultaneously "developed" these after people made homebrew versions of them when HK refused to fix damage caused by carrier tilt in the 416, then claimed they "invented" the fixes.
>>
>>31855365
>hurr AR-15 is direct impingement

I want this meme to die.
>>
>>31855365
I own a piston AR. sig 516.

I have a bias towards piston AR's because for 5 years in the marines as an 0311 i used a regular DI m16 and m4 and hated it. they jammed constantly, but that may be attributed to the shit magazines we were given, and the fact that the rifles themselves were old as shit. my last year in and for my last deployment to afghanistan i was lucky enough to get an HK416 and i was blown away by how awesome it was. may have just been the fact that the gun was literally brand new and we got issued HK tan follower mags with it. but since then i have been sold on the piston systems.

but if you buy a brand new DI AR15, with good mags and proper cleaning, there will be no dicernable difference.
>>
>>31862984
HK steel mags are great, though the anti-tilt follower upgrade on the GI aluminum ones made a huge difference. Another common issue in armory rifles is that since there's basically no round count tracking, parts like the extractor spring are replaced when they stop working well.

Unless your unit got lucky and a team came in to overhaul everything, but Marines probably don't see that.
>>
File: mar03.jpg (78KB, 650x432px) Image search: [Google]
mar03.jpg
78KB, 650x432px
556 = cuck round
>>
>>31863149
exactly, run it till it breaks. my first m16 i was issued was so old it was a colt. if i could do it all over again, i would buy my own bolt carrier group and complete bolt and switch it out with the one i was issued.
>>
>>31863171
>Comparing intermediate rifle round to full-size DMR round
>Ignores that Russian standard issue 5.45x39 is similar to the 5.56 in range and terminal effect
>Ignores US M110/M14EBR DMR systems firing the 7.62x51

Seriously, try harder next time.
>>
>>31855451
Absolute best for what? Battle? Plinking? Accuracy? The list could go on. The point is that you haven't even defined a "problem" that you need "the best" to overcome. I'd bet that for most of /k/ the problem is weight, because when your gunz get too heavy they pull the nails out of the wall where they're hanging. So get the direct impingement, because it's lighter.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.