[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mauser General/Appreciation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_20161029-170023.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161029-170023.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
I just got a Russian capture Kar98k, as I took it apart, I see this on the bottom of the reciever. This is not the serial number of the rifle as indicated on the reciever. Any idea what this is? (38 Si39)
>>
>>31845816
I'm trying to refinish my k98 stock, I read that you must use "boiled linseed oil" on the wood. Is this something I can find at my local hardware store? Do I apply this in the same fashion as, say, lacquer or stain?
>>
>>31846432
DO NOT REFINISH IT HOLY FUCK
>>
>>31846578

It's a russian capture, I want to make it have the original finish
>>
>>31846883
The finish the Russians applied is the correct finish for your rifle as that is the last finish applied to it by a military arsenal.
>>
>>31846930
you're wasting your energy. he never watched antiques roadshow so he doesn't know that original finish is always better than amateur hour refurbishing
>>
File: 9007-1.jpg (10KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
9007-1.jpg
10KB, 400x300px
>>31846883
How about instead you try killing yourself.

Also, I ate all that bait.
>>
>>31847072
Fuck you cunt
>>31846930
>>31846984
Convince me not to refinish my stock back to the blonde wood color
>>
>>31847462
do you want historically accurate finish? or one you like to look at? do whatever you want but if you refinish it to w/e it will just make mine that little bit more valuable and yours quite a bit less
>>
>>31847462
sell your rc and buy a mitchell's mauser. everyone will be happier, yourself included.
>>
>>31847462
Once wood is lacquered for a period of time with something oil-based there is no going back to blonde. You have no idea how many figured maple top guitars that clients have ruined trying to do this. I just hope you don't end up like half of them trying to restain it or re-lacquer it and it looks like shit so you have to paint it a solid color.

In other words it won't happen so don't do it, and if you do you're retarded.
>>
>>31845816

...c-can someone answer my question please? Don't pay attention to this faggot asking about his stock
>>
>>31847896
It's a barrel code, like a lot number
>>
>>31847896
Fuck you nigger
>>31847849
I am told that if I use acetone to rub the stock, it will go back to its original color, removing the red stain

Once the commie stain is removed, I can just follow the 30's/40's instruction to soldiers on how to apply boiled linseed oil, so while this won't be 100% authentic with Hanz applying the exact same treatment himself in 1938 Germany, it will yield the exact same look the rifle had prior to being captured, no?
>>
>>31847976
No you're just ruining a stock. Like >>31847750
said go buy a Mitchell's
>>
>>31848014

Naw man the bolt is polished to shine on a Mitchell's. The stock was already ruined by the russian capture refurbishment
>>
>>31847976

Fuck off this is my thread

>>31847948

Can one tell where it's made or something by the number on the barrel?

Is it possible to tell where and when my mauser was captured?
>>
>>31847976
No, it won't. There is no way to remove oil based stains entirely. I've tried MANY times. What you end up with is a dinge that's kind of a dirty blonde but the auburn shows through. The worst part is it's not uniform and you'll have to sand the shit out of it or possibly even rasp it to get past the color. This is why I use water based stains now. You can get 95% of the color out with steam and white rags and you can control how far it penetrates the wood.

For the love of god if you're going to try your hand at it buy one of those shitty Spanish mausers that are like 100 bucks still. Don't turn your GOOD Mauser into a dirty auburn hookerrifle.
>>
There is no stain in the stock finish; it's just layers of aged linseed oil (the original German finish) with now-60-year-old Russian shellac over it.
>>
>>31848115
Are you retarded or do you not understand that lacquer penetrates wood?
>>
>>31848036
You are trying to turn it into something it no longer is. You can return the stock the "original" finish but it won't matter because the rifle will still be a mismatched rifle with parts from a whatever was in the pile.
>>
>>31848122
You think it just magically displaces the oil that was already occupying that space? No.

Plus, the Russian post-war shellac is absolutely shit; why do you think so many refurb nuggets have flaking finishes?
>>
>>31848240
The concentration of acetone in shellac will displace light oils you goober. That's why you don't see wood floors in hospitals anymore. They have to clean floors with peroxide and wax is cut with acetone so it evaporates when it's laid. You would end up jheri kerling your rifle doing what you're talking about. Not to mention if you did that in a hospital you'd fucking fumigate it with mustard gas. God damn anon research properties of chemicals before you have happy fun time.
>>
>>31848287
>God damn anon research properties of chemicals
Good advise. Maybe you should have done that too before posting.
>>
>>31848316
I'm a professional floor refinisher LOL. I have to deal with unreasonable requests every day for making dark woods that are tinged from lacquer a lighter color with consistency throughout large areas. You're not going to be able to just boil some linseed oil and get all of the oil/shellac mixture out with it looking fucked up with high and low undertones in spots they shouldn't be in. There is zero physical way to separate it without destroying the top layers of wood. You seem to think linseed oil penetrates all the way down to the bedding or some shit. Here's a hint: usually less than 1mm.
>>
Not op with shellac question:

Was the shellac applied as an intended finish for use, or was it applied as a finish for storage, to be removed before the rifle was used again?
>>
>>31848395
Bit of both but it was never supposed to be removed. It was simply redone by armorers as needed.
>>
File: 0004.jpg (116KB, 1366x732px) Image search: [Google]
0004.jpg
116KB, 1366x732px
>>31846930
>>31846578
>>31846984

Stop regurgitating stupid shid, retards.
RC Mausers have a slapdash layer of shellac applied for long term storage. It's the equivalent of slathering cosmoline all over the steel parts. Only dumb "muh collectors value" fucks like you would ever treat that as "original finish", especially on a goddamn RC which is the perfect beater Mauser since its very nature disqualifies it from being collectible.
Pic related, my RC after refinishing.
>>
File: thumbnail_IMG_0450.jpg (286KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_IMG_0450.jpg
286KB, 1280x960px
How triggered would you people get if i took a broom handle stock and dyed it green kinda like my ak.
>>
>>31845816
use web search
its made by sauer in 1939
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.