[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a new shooter should I be proud of this? Last week I could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

As a new shooter should I be proud of this?

Last week I could barely get more than 16 rounds in a 12 inch target at 10 yards with my Hi Power. This week I started off at 7 yds, shot about 5 rounds (When I go to the range I load 10 in the mag, shoot, write down notes, then change targets and start again) then moved up to 10 yds

I know I'm still pulling to the left a bit, but I've got it much more under control than last time I went to the range. I need to do more dry-fire practice.

How much better can I expect to get with a handgun
>>
>>31842227
>16 rounds

whoops....meatn 6 out of 10
>>
Improvement is all that matters.. Persistence not perfection
>>
>>31842227
Not terrible. Frankly if you're new you should be proud that you're actually on paper for most/all of your shots.

You could get stupidly good with a handgun but that depends on physical ability, mental ability, and determination. IE Jerry will always be better than you, but you could very well become better than me (which honestly isn't that hard, I suck with handguns).
>>
>>31842227
Baby steps.

Focus on just hitting the target in the ring first. Don't jump straight to trying to shoot like a pro.

Avoid bad habits. Shoot slowly, because this isn't a race and your life isn't on the line. Shoot when you have exhaled your breath, not when you inhale.

Pull the trigger directly backward. When you dry fire practice, keep your sights on target and pull the trigger back. If when it breaks your sights have moved, then you messed up.

One way to test for flinching is to make some dummy rounds/get some snap caps, and mix them in randomly with your real rounds. If you flinch when you hit the dummy round after firing real ones, then you know you have a problem.
>>
>>31842227
buy more ammo and shoot again nigga.
or an aftermarket trigger +springs, get those dummy caps to practice dry firing too.

endless ergos to help you out if you feel like it. otherwise more ammo
>>
>>31842274
Yeah. I guess I'm kind of proud because I used to be so terrible that I couldn't even get holes in the man sized paper. I remember putting about 300 rounds through my friends Glock (he bought a huge case of ammo and took his friends shooting) and couldn't hit jack shit with it.

After putting 200 rounds through my Hi power I'm finally seeing improvement. Next time I go to the range and rent a Glock and see if I still suck ass with it lol. If I don't then it's my method of taking it 10 rounds at a time and analyzing my groupings before loading up a mag and having another go at it.
>>
>>31842227
this
>>31842272
You're making an effort to improve and doing so, realistically you're unlikely to be a superb shot right after picking up a gun, if you're willing to acknowledge your weaknesses and improve on them then that's the largest hurdle overcome. You're putting shots not only on paper but in a group reasonably close to the center, so that's already better than a worrying number of people seem to ever manage.
>>
>>31842313
Sometimes I dry fire with a coin placed on the front sight or the muzzle end of the slide, to practice isolating movement when pulling the trigger.
>>
File: IMG_20161029_124152530.jpg (3MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161029_124152530.jpg
3MB, 3006x5344px
Good job on the natural self improvement. Now stop what you're doing and don't listen to any advice in this thread. Actually. Listen to the advice about snapcaps, but disregard anything else. Go and take a basic handgun handling class. All of my rural living friends who have been shooting since they were 10 are blown away by how quickly I got up to shooting on par with them. The dirty little secret? One $150 shooting class at my local range.

Project Appleseed if you want to get into rifle marksmanship btw.

This was how I performed in my CCW qualification with a Sig p320sc as a result. Some obvious flyers, but mostly two great big holes at ranges from 7 to 21+ feet.

Going to take some defensive pistol classes after I earn Rifleman at an Appleseed.

Godspeed anon.
>>
>>31842227
Asa new shooter, you shouldn't be proud or ashamed of anything.

You have no technique, no muscle memory, you are still getting accustomed to all aspects involved in shooting a firearm. In other words, each and very shot you take is basically a gamble, at least for now.

Don't think about how great or bad each of your groups look, just keep practicing casually, for fun, with no pressure. You are bound to see some obvious improvement over longer periods of time. You might want to compare groups from each month, for example.
>>
>>31842471
This

Your first pic pretty clearly demonstrates pushing in response to recoil, but it looks like you cleared that up pretty quickly; that's something that took me several hundred rounds to do.
>>
>>31842396
>the rural living friends who have been shooting since they were 10 industry hates him
>click here to find out his dirty little secret
>>
>>31842471
this
>>
>>31842227
http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_Un_Pistol_Train_Guide.pdf
>>
File: 1468362737978vg.gif (137KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1468362737978vg.gif
137KB, 340x340px
>>31842497
>>
>>31842227
>Hi-Power
Why is everyone falling for this Jamal/Nigger tier weapon? It's 150$ for a reason. Quit giving them your money.
>>
File: 0UiNLVk.jpg (862KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
0UiNLVk.jpg
862KB, 2592x1456px
>>31842666
>Hi-Power
>Hi-Point
2 different weapons retard
>>
>>31842666
>confusing Hi point for Hi power
>>
File: IMG_2617.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2617.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>31842666
I wish I could get them for that cheap. I'd probably have 3 by now. Mine ran me $440 and that's pretty cheap for one in good condition these days

Wrong "Hi" gun. Pic related is mine after cleaning her out and giving her a light coat of oil.

My black kween
>>
>>31842816
>>31842706
I know its 9mm, but how is the recoil on it? Non-existent?
>>
>>31842838
Less recoil than a glock, a tiny tiny bit more than a Beretta, but it's very very managable. Like I said I'm a new shooter and was able to knock out my flinch pretty quickly.

Also the trigger, while stiff and heavy, is very crisp and consistent.

I love shooting it and plan on doing it a lot more.
>>
>>31842838
also after 230 rounds I've yet to be bit by the hammer. The ergo grips that came on mine place your right hand well below the range of the hammer (I do plan on replacing them though because they also make releasing the mag more difficult than it should be) and I have big hands too. You just can't have as high a grip as say a glock.
>>
File: 1477766116077-1965402320.jpg (3MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
1477766116077-1965402320.jpg
3MB, 3006x5344px
>>31842497
>This anon figured out one ingenious trick to destroy your sides!

My hand writing is awful...
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.