[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/ommandos, can you explain me how kraut space magic works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: SoldierTech_G11-1.jpg (43KB, 556x298px) Image search: [Google]
SoldierTech_G11-1.jpg
43KB, 556x298px
Hi /k/ommandos, can you explain me how kraut space magic works?

Also, can you give me a bit of background? (history, why it failed, etc)
>>
>>31841079
This page explains it quite nicely
http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23:the-g11-caseless-military-rifle&catid=11:rare-prototypes&Itemid=5

For Germany it failed simply because it was too cheap, the reunion was expensive and the G36 was cheaper.
>It's Eastern Germany's fault that space magic isn't NATO standard
>>
>>31841150

G11 Cannot into creating a gas seal on the breech end of the barrel, as well as issues with heat control and fouling.
>>
>>31841150
Thanks man!
>>
>>31841079
The way I've heard it said was that the German Government could either spend the funding on working towards a newly united Germany after the fall of te Berlin wall, or, they could spend the funding on this fancy new assault rifle. They went with the newly united Germany.
>>
>>31841205
Yeah, that's due to the cylinder, but if they hadn't dropped the design, it could probably be fixed with better fittings.
>>
>>31841079
It failed because the Cold War was over, the Warsaw Pact broke up, the CFE treaty went into effect, and German reunification was proving to be even more expensive than what had already been anticipated.

Technically the weapon was fine. Worked like a charm, which is no surprise considering the amounts of money and time that went into its development.
>>
>>31841659
I heard there were problems when it came to malfunctions.
>>
>>31842248
Or rather, when it came to CLEARING malfunctions.
>>
>>31841262
Well, it's not like it's the first poor decision they've made.
>>
>>31842448
>WWI&WWII
>>
>>31842248
>>31842256
Don't know about the latter but with regard to malfunctions it's important to realize that the development of the weapon spanned little more than two decades and included several major redesigns. So reports may refer to early versions. The final version, which was called K2, had failure rate of .5 per mille according to the book of Wolfgang Seel. That's a MRBF of 2000. Back in the 90s that was vastly superior to its contemporary competitor assault rifles and it's still on par with today's more reliable ones.
For comparison: the requirement for the original M4 carbine (not the newer M4A1) was just 600 MRBF.
>>
>>31842570
The thing is, the design is apparently quite contained, so if a jam occured it was a difficult process to clear it. At least, again, that's what I've heard and/or read. It might be just hearsay that's been left in my mind from some stupid conversation I had on Black Ops years ago or something dumb like that, or maybe I read it in an actual article, my memory is pretty fuzzy. I'm not even drunk yet; my bottle of rum is here waiting for me to enjoy it.
>>
>>31842897
You turned the crank on the side.
The booster made sure the bullet was in the barrel before the propellant lit so very little chance of the bullet binding it if the propellant didn;t light.. The cylinder was also quite well sealed so very little chance of debris or chunks of propellant amming it.
>>
>>31842897
Well, stoppages that can't be cleared by the operator but require proper maintenance can occur in all assault rifles. That's not unique to the G11. The question is how often do they occur. I don't know that.
Less severe stoppages would be cleared in similar ways to other weapons, mostly by recocking it, thus ejecting the malfunctioning round. The G11 has a rotating chamber which always rotates in the same direction, so that the new round would push out the old round downwards. And it would thus push on the tip of the old round not the base, thereby avoiding the risk of potentially hitting the primer of what may just seem like a dud but reallly isn't. The way they did it in the LSAT, e.g., includes pricesely this danger. There a pusher rod pushes on the base of the round to eject it forwards.
They licensed the G11 technology and just copied the two-piece expanding chamber but with regard to ejecting malfunctioning rounds it's a step backwards imo.
>>
G11 is shit. G41 was better and more practical.
>>
File: 1.png (69KB, 257x257px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
69KB, 257x257px
>>31843229
G41 is not caseless

you cannot compare them
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.