[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't soldiers wear Bullet Proof Masks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

File: mk-ii__1.jpg (27KB, 507x676px) Image search: [Google]
mk-ii__1.jpg
27KB, 507x676px
Ok so, this has been puzzling me for a while, like a LONG fucking while

Why don't soldiers wear bullet proof masks? I mean I hear about vision and breathing and shit, but just make a bulletproof visor and add some very small holes to allow air to pass through the mouth area.

Please fellow /k/ommandos, enlighten me on this...
>>
idk lol
>>
>in during army of two post
>>
>>31840295
>>31840296
Like seriously tho

It'd help in combat so much I would think
>>
>>31840292
Soldiers right now want more than anything to not look scarier than the guys they're fighting for one thing. I'd also imagine they're quite hot.
>>
>>31840292

Run a mile in full battle rattle with that stupid thing on. You'll want to kill yourself.

Try to shoot anything with it on. You probably can't

>inb4 b-b-but muh gladius-Mac-10, ballistic shield scutum, bulletproof mask, explosive pila, urban legionaries

It's dumb, okay? Until we have meaningful weight reduction, cooling, a HUD that doesn't suck, and can guarantee that it can go as long in the field as a soldier without fucking up, it is a dead end technology and I consider this matter closed.
>>
Headshots also aren't that common.
>>
File: 1420649523499.jpg (521KB, 2560x1719px) Image search: [Google]
1420649523499.jpg
521KB, 2560x1719px
Limiting vision is a big deal. Russia has some face shields on helmets and they either have large wide windows or are entirely transparent.

The breathing isn't as easy as that. If you any bulletproof glass sections then the slightest amount of hot humid breath will make it up and fog. If there's no glass it's not as bad, just uncomfortable.
>>
>>31840292
For a mask to offer protection against high-velocity projectiles, it would have to be a lot thicker and heavier than the example in your post. Visors are heavy, and making one that could take a round and still be useful afterwards isn't really worth it. The materials aren't there to make them offer true protection while not fogging up with breathing, splintering from glancing impacts, etc.
Furthermore, if you're exposing your face to enemy fire anyway you're probably doing it wrong.
>>
99% of a soldier's life is spent not fighting. situational awareness and ergonomics are everything. you'd have someone wear a huge, hot mask that restricts his vision all the time just so he might have a slightly higher chance of surviving if he gets shot in one specific place during a firefight that will probably not be happening? much better to be able to see the fight coming.
>>
File: AirFrame2.jpg (42KB, 586x398px) Image search: [Google]
AirFrame2.jpg
42KB, 586x398px
>>31840306
here's another example, Crye chops. These aren't bulletproof, they're more for blast protection, but the vision/breathing design is there. The slot down the middle is both for breathing and for looking down. It's very easy to trip on things, misstep, and presumably trip an IED, when you can't see your feet.
>>
>>31840322

Russia already does that because of their doctrine. It's heavy and nobody actually uses it.

The US doctrine assumes air superiority and available indirect fire support, so if US soldiers are in such a shitty situation where they need armor on their faces, their fucked anyway.

Russian doctrine uses a series of armored and mechanized breakthroughs and has infantry closing distance as fast as possible to minimize the effectiveness of enemy fire missions.
>>
OP, your typical grunt these days is already doing patrols with 90+ lbs of equipment at minimum, and, depending on what his job is, he might have more to carry on top of that. It's bad enough that even very physically fit soldiers end up with back and spinal cord problems as a result of the amount of equipment they're already lugging around.

As such, even if you put aside all of the other problems with bulletproof masks mentioned above, they still would not be worthwhile just because they would have marginal at best utility while also being expensive and cumbersome.
>>
>>31840292
I hope you arent serious.
If its cold it freezes to your face, if its hot its fucking hot and youre already wearing fucking canvas pants.
If they need a facemask for their job they have one sometimes, everyone already has fucking goggles they dont use for debris that like to get in your eyes.
I know you dont leave the air conditioning much but think for a moment.
>>
>>31840371

>be deployed
>everyone bitches incessantly about sand in their eyes
>nobody ever wears their goggles

Every fucking time.
>>
I just know the amorous faggitous guy is gonna pop in here any second now...
>>
>>31840317
>that grabby face cover part
Gonna break your neck when panicing trying to get out of a blowd out humvee.
>>
>>31840390

Shhh, don't say his name, he knows.
>>
>>31840380
Goggles will either fog up or get smeared or scratched to shit. You won't be able to see shit.
>>
File: images(18).jpg (26KB, 390x374px) Image search: [Google]
images(18).jpg
26KB, 390x374px
https://youtu.be/jHhxkvDoGEQ
>pic unrelated
>>
>>31840444

You're right, but I don't think that matters to fobbits during a sandstorm.
>>
Hot, restrict vision, restrict breathing, don't even really stop face shots, more likely to just break your whole face.
>>
no cheekweld, restricts vision, makes you look terrifying which is actually a negative when youre in a foreign country trying to win over the local populace (enemies arent ever gonna get a good look at you anyways, if theyre close enough to see your face mask thing and think oh scary they'll die or you'll die soon), restricts your voice A LOT, breathing and all that too. But if i had one available and there was a bump in the night I'd put it on.
>>
>>31840456
What I wore them all the time when I was over there and a lot of other gunners did as well the dirt in iraqi city's is foul as fuck and causes nasty pink eye
>>
>>31840371
Also
>tacticool shorts when
>>
>>31840591
Turret Gunners are pretty much only guys who use our goggles. I'd even have guys in my team who never wore theirs switch me when my shit got scratched to all hell.
>>
>>31840407
Your english is bad enough to break someones neck.
>>
File: 1458346144145.jpg (71KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1458346144145.jpg
71KB, 680x1024px
>>31840292
They don't stop bullets.

>>31840506
It is all worth it if armor actually works.
>>
>>31840292
It depends. If you are serving a warrant, sure. But soldiers on patrol need situational awareness.
>>
Basically, it's hot, heavy, you can't see or breathe well and the ballistic resistance isn't going to provide as much safety as you think. You get popped in the face its probably gonna break something. Really, if you get shot in the face, you did something wrong. You shouldn't easily be exposing it.
>>
>>31840390
He will make sure to let everyone know how his mall ninja bullshit gives him tactical superiority over the forces of his living room.
>>
>>31840922
that's totally why the most successful tank commanders stick their heads out of a perfectly bulletproof tank

or aircraft designers have just a hardon for bubble canopies

even why musket age line infantry had the gall to march with a bagpipeman or a drummer

its been stressed often than situational awareness is usually at the forefront of "value"
>>
The negatives of heavy, view restricting gear like the mask are only outweighed the more your % chance of getting shot.

In open ground with cover, you have a fairly good chance of not getting hit while also not being tired and having more awareness. If you're only option of getting into a building is through a tight doorway you know is being watched by multiple shooters then that's when you need this shit.
>>
File: 1448494831669.jpg (118KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1448494831669.jpg
118KB, 406x364px
>>31840296
>muzzle blast on the shotgun
>>
>>31841023
Guy on right. Aims for head, hits target in crotch.
>>
>>31840301
I think you have it backwards
>>
I wore Oakley's, that had the best shatterproof rating during the day when I was in the turret, I rarely wore goggles. In full battle rattle with the 249 I had 120lbs of gear. More gear, no thanks.
>>
>>31841159
>120 lbs

No you didn't. I was a SAW gunner. We carried 90-100 lbs max. Don't add 20 to sound extra cool. Which I'm sure is a character flaw because you're mentioning Oakley's when the goggles are issued gear. Guys on deployment and their Oakley's, never understood why men cared about fashion so much in a desert surrounded by other men.
>>
Whatever. They were given to us by supply. I doubt we carried the same stuff. I was not a grunt.
>>
>>31840292
Because the pros of not wearing one outweigh the cons.
>>
>>31841088
It's so he can aim while wearing his mask. My ak optics sit super high also and it allows me to aim while wearing my zsh1-2 mask down.
>>
Because it's hard to aim when you have a mask on your face, and it's hard to rest your cheek on the stock.. unless you have a gun with special sights that is designed for aiming while wearing a mask.
>>
>>31840317
This airframe is used around in plenty of countries. Minus the chops youre talking about, because faceguards are fucking shit
>>
>>31840292
Because mobility and vision are their own forms of security

Ergo, less is more
>>
>>31841014
>tank armor works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nDHV_mkiY

>aircraft armor works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPj9S_9e1A

>knight armor works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ob95SxIpw
>>
>>31840292
Ive read that some south american riot police use them to prevent rock, glass etc from damaging the wearer but they don't stop bullets. also they dont use them more widespread because they found that those wearing them were more likely to be more violent or commit crimes due to a sense of anonymity
>>
File: IMG_0104.jpg (56KB, 388x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0104.jpg
56KB, 388x1024px
I wear a mask to deflect my step dads sexual abuse. Im sure you've seen me on every /k/ post since I post the same picture every time
>>
>>31840292
A russian style bulletproof shield would be better. It would provide more protection and dexterity.
>>
>>31841071
>the bullet casings, not shells, popping from it
>>
>>31840292
They don't want a shattered face
>>
>>31840292
special police units already use full transparent (glass/some other plastic) visors on there helmets, they can stop bullets from handguns, but not really rifles.
>>
several reasons 1 there not bullet proof nothing really is when you use ap or api which 99% of my ammo is .308 and above your done so whats the point ....
>>
>mask isn't rated for rifles
>>
>>31841129
Winning hearts and minds isn't a term for cannibals
>>
>Why don't soldiers wear bullet proof masks?
Have you ever had to wear a dust mask or other facial mask? Fucking horrible, hot, uncomfortable things, with the moisture from your breath saturating the air and getting your face all moist with breath water shit.

Eww.
>>
>>31841071
Given the importance of the Aggro system in these games, it's likely he could be using hybrid shell/dragon breath ammo.
>>
>>31842182
That's not the problem. It's coming more from the magazine tube than the barrel.
>>
File: yeah nah fuck you.jpg (28KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
yeah nah fuck you.jpg
28KB, 600x450px
>>31842236
>what tube does the fire come from?
>dunno lol
>ill just put it in the middle so fags wont notice
>>
File: DSC00419.jpg (4MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00419.jpg
4MB, 3648x2736px
>>31840292
Becuase you want one to stop 5.56 rifle rounds, That's a custom deal OP one that I will be trying next month. It needs to flex and be breathable. But most importantly not weigh over 1 lb. They make polycarb IIIA visors but they are front heavy and weigh more then 2 lbs a piece.
>>31840411
This anon is wise.
>>
>>31840446
TR leave.
>>
>>31841294
>we only sell abrams without reactive armor or DU plating

>fucking sukhoi sukhoi 5 dolla

>knight armor was a status symbol, everyone else wore padded vests and chainmail for slashing shit.
>>
>>31840296
Were those games any good? Only remember it because some anons filled ballots for a competition and managed to get it the game a sniper nugget that launched grenades and had all accessories mounted backwards.
>>
>>31841637
Kekus Maximus
>>
>>31840301
All black featureless masks really win big points in hearts and minds counterinsurgency.
Locals love it.
>>
File: 0916162112-1.jpg (175KB, 956x1343px) Image search: [Google]
0916162112-1.jpg
175KB, 956x1343px
>>31840306
As someone who owns one of those helmets I can confirm that the visor is not very practical. It basically kills your ability to use and long gun sights, pic related.
>>
>>31843374
source?
>>
>>31845200
>>31843374
The Grand Pinger.
>>
>>31842817
>night armor was a status symbol, everyone else wore padded vests and chainmail for slashing shit.
Are you one of those retards that thinks real chainmail wasn't all but impervious to attacks not done with weapons explicitly designed to defeat it?
>>
>>31843374
If you play as intended, they're pretty good. You're able to actively lock yourself out of gameplay by making your partner do everything, which kinda breaks it.
>>
>>31845200
http://armyoftwo.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_Pinger
The best part was watching deviantart fags crying foul because their shitty OC donut steel bullpups lost to a joke entry.
>>
>>31845164
nice, you gunna use that for your class photo?
>>
>>31841235
yes I'm def talking about the faceguards, that's that the thread is about. It's example of the only way they're practical - lots of eye and breathing room. And even then, practicality is questionable
>>
>>31841129
No, he is right. The pentagon realizes that face coverings are dehumanizing.
>>
>>31840446
...I suddenly want a round in the chamber while the monkey is fucking with the rifle. I want to see it get a scope eye
>>
>>31842701
Chaingat master race says BTFO space hippies
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.