[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would fudd guns make good weapons of war? Would a division of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: Winchester.jpg (35KB, 508x271px) Image search: [Google]
Winchester.jpg
35KB, 508x271px
Would fudd guns make good weapons of war? Would a division of American hunters make good snipers in the event of a war on American soil?
>>
>>31836731

95% of hunters have never attempted to hit a target outside of 100 yd, so it depends on the conflict.
Urban setting? It would be a problem for soldiers, especially considering most large hunting calibers will penetrate everything but level 4 armor
Dense woods? Problem for soldiers considering short engagement distances
Open areas with engagement distances beyond 100 yd? Soldiers efficiently exterminate the insurgents with suppressive fire and air/arty support

So basically the same thing that happens overseas
>>
>>31836769
This desu senpai

Also note that fudd rifles would not be superior in any respect at those engagement distances to spoopy black assault carbines with scopes other than firing stiffer rounds.
>>
>>31836731
>Would fudd guns make good weapons of war?
yes

>Would a division of American hunters make good snipers in the event of a war on American soil?
No
>>
>>31836731

Far too many hunters sight in and shoot at known ranges. Practicing at range and knowing d.o.p.e. isn't nearly as hard as reliably estimating range to target.

I've met probably 2 people at my public range that can routinely compute a SWAG based on a 6' guy and mildot scope.
>>
>>31836731
>would fudd guns make good weapons of war?
Nope. The overwhelming majority don't have the punch to penetrate ESAPI or equivalent plates (ESAPI will stop 3 consecutive hits from .338RUM/.338Lapua unless specialty, unobtainium AP bullets) while being longer, heavier, and having a much slower ROF compared to an AR/AK/most battle rifles.
>would a division of American hunters make good snipers
Depending on the area they came from, probably not. I'm in Missouri, and every time I go to a DNR range it's chock full of people with a .30-06 or .270 boltgun that can't keep 3 consecutive rounds on an 11x13" sheet of paper at fifty yards. This has seemed to be a constant everywhere I've lived, which ranges from southern AZ to WA to IL to NC, SC, VA, and upper NY.
>>
>>31836731
No, 10,000 people in a committed role as "snipers" when they are really just fudds with guns would be a waste of personnel. They would best be attached as guides for units operating in their area.

And given the health problems facing your average hunter he'll die without meds.

Remember kids guns, bullets and knives are cool but famine drought and illness have killed more than all the weapons in the world combined.
>>
>>31836844
>rangefinders don't exist
There's a reason all first-world snipers use laser rangefinders. Mainly being that almost nobody is 6'0" tall and the difference between trying to range someone who's 5'10" and someone who's 6'0" at 500m is nearly 50m.
>>
>>31836870
>And given the health problems facing your average hunter he'll die without meds.
And what health problems are these?

Because the "average" hunter in America is late-30's from a blue-collar manual labor job, meaning that he's halfway physically fit with no chronic illnesses.
>>
>>31836731
Alaskan or Texan hunters maybe
styx fudds not so much
>>
Elephant guns were acquired and used by various troops against the tanks in WWI and light armor vehicles in WWII.
>>
>>31836876
Not only this desu senpai, but if you are forced to estimate using your scope, some scopes have built in rangefinders based on shoulder width and shit.
>>
>>31836891
>Age. The percentage of hunters varies little by age. The most common age group are persons 55-64.

Survey from the fish and wildlife service in 2011. So fuck off with the fudd lore.
>>
>>31836941
The Germans in WW1 actually allowed their snipers to use hunting weapons. Some elephant guns were used and were mainly to shoot through the steel shields that Allied snipers and observers used.
>>
File: tumblr_odnesaBXN51sdxszuo1_1280.jpg (182KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odnesaBXN51sdxszuo1_1280.jpg
182KB, 1080x1080px
>>31836876
Just in time for FFP to become common, quality laser rangefinders come in to make basically pointless.
>>
>>31837002
Percent of Hunters by Age:
16-17: 3%
18-24: 9%
25-34: 15%
35-44: 18%
45-54: 23%
55-64: 21%
65 and older: 11%

Average age: 39

Source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/fhw11-nat.pdf
So not only were you wrong, I found your source and found out you're a bold-faced liar too.
>>
>>31837017
Eh.

They're still useful for wind hold-offs when you don't have time to dial.
>>
How would budget hunting rifles fair on the battlefield?

Things like in the Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriot, Tikka T3, Ruger American, etc quality and price range.
>>
>>31837112
Tikka T3 is amazingly accurate. I've seen groups out of mine that give target rifles a run for their money.
>>
>>31837112
About as well as non-budget hunting guns.

IE, poorly.

See >>31836857
>>
File: 1462086706115.jpg (27KB, 508x566px) Image search: [Google]
1462086706115.jpg
27KB, 508x566px
>>31837076
>first anon uses "average" as a synonym of "typical"
>obviously referring to fudds, as a joke
>you sperg out over numerical averages and proceed to prove his point anyways

congrats you look super smart right now
>>
>>31836906
man Alaska would be GOAT for fighting a guerilla/defensive war

huge, hard to traverse, 2 or 3 main roads, heavily armed populace, hostile weather
>>
File: 3541753_orig.jpg (54KB, 610x379px) Image search: [Google]
3541753_orig.jpg
54KB, 610x379px
>>31836731
>>
>>31837076
>55% is over 45
Yet you claim that the average is 39
Are you genuinely retarded or are you so fucked in the head you can't accept anything that would shatter you're preconceived notions?

Or are you just Lind-posting?
>>
>>31837271
No, it would be terrible for defenders fighting out an occupying force, given how most of the population is located in a few cities and fairly reliant on outside assistance.

So right away you're not going to be able to get material support from the outside, and without that you'll likely never be able to strike a blow hard enough to be worth retaliation. Have fun with the SKS innawoods, you'll probably eventually die out there while nobody cares.

Honestly reminds me of the one fucker in Texas the local law enforcement waited out for 15 years. They had the warrant, sheriff thought it wasn't worth going on the perps home turf and losing a deputy so they just bagged him when he finally left it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (136KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
136KB, 661x496px
snipers? not so much. effective enough marksmen to cause significant problems for any force trying to operate in their area? sure. if they have supplies cached and are willing to pull the trigger, they could do some damage. more than your average gear queer with an sbr and red dot.
>>
File: ibrahim.jpg (626KB, 600x893px) Image search: [Google]
ibrahim.jpg
626KB, 600x893px
>>31837305
>>
>>31837488
15 years? Damn, do have any more info on this?
>>
>>31837732
My bad they didn't arrest him, he defacto severed his sentence more or less in absentia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Joe_Gray
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.