[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reloading for fucktards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1144.jpg (99KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1144.jpg
99KB, 600x450px
And why I wound up with Winchester autocomp being used for my Webley Mk VI.

So. I wound up searching all over town today for my first attempt at reloading (I have dies and a press already) and wound up getting CCI primers, Hornsby 230 grain lead bullets, and the only powder I could get my mitts on was Winchester autocomp.

I've been loading it with about 5.0-5.7 grains of the stuff.
I did about 18 rounds and then I realized I might want to look around for advice (you know, like a fucktard who does shit and THEN asks for advice on how not to kill himself)

Pic not related.
>>
>>31836364
Do you just not like having fingers?
You're likely into proof load pressures and with that much variation it's impossible to be safe.
>>
New to reloading, and I'm starting out with my AR since I shoot it the most.

I've been catching all my Hornady brass, which is all .223. My bullets are 65gr Sierra game kings. I have yet to find a Sierra load online that uses their bullets with CFE223 powder, but my Hornady manual covers 60gr and 68gr in 5.56. Is it (reasonably) safe to start ladder testing from the Hornady 60gr and work my way up from there?

Also, regarding accuracy testing, is it better to control for a standard low powder load while varying COL first, or do you keep COL the same and vary powder loads first?
>>
>>31836364
Is this the .38/200 Webley or the .455 Webley? Because Autocomp tends to be for larger caliber/magnum level cartridges. Or am I underestimating how stupid your decisions have been thus far?
>>
>>31836813
The Hodgdon's reloading webpage may be a better friend than your Hornady manual in this regards. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Generally you should keep the COL the same for each type of bullet you use. Bullet A may need to mic out to a different COL than Bullet B. For example a FMJ bullet will need a different COL than a Flat Point bullet, it all depends on the dimensions on how the bullet fits in the chamber and meets the rifling. If a bullet has to jump to engage the rifling there is a good chance it will negatively effect accuracy.
>>
Where should i start with reloading 12gauge? My vepr goes through it pretty fast and if i want to shoot more buckshot and slugs then i need to start looking at more affordable options.
>>
>>31836935

Hodgdon's page only has data for 63gr bullets, but they are up there right at the max loads for Hornady, so I figure that will be okay.

Regarding COL, this is going to be my general purpose bullet, so no worries about changing COL for bullet type for now. I was just curious if velocity, i.e. powder load, or jump-to-lands would have more effect on accuracy.
>>
>>31837011
How much 12GA do you plan on shooting? Cost savings margins on 12GA aren't as good as the majority of rifle rounds. Ballistics Products is generally a good one stop online shop for components, though.
>>
>>31837011
Get a mec reloader. A botom drop lead melting pot and some lee or lyman slug moulds.

Op. You a dumb ass. Hogdon has free mqnual online for you to use.

They don't have .455 webbly but they do have loads for 45acp.

You shoulr have used unique, green dot or red dot.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-28-20-17-58.png (143KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-28-20-17-58.png
143KB, 1080x1920px
>>31836364
Assuming you're reloading for .455 Webley, you can stick pretty close to .45ACP data.

I'd say you're a little on the light side of the load. Not dangerously light, but light. Also, that is way too much variation in powder charge weight. What powder drop are you using? Do you have a trickler?

This data is for your exact bullet and powder, in .45ACP. Stay away from max loads and you'll be fine. As always, look for pressure signs on your casings.
>>
>>31836813
If you don't have loads for your bullet weight, always start with loads for the bullet a few grains heavier than the one you're loading.
>>
>>31837140
Autocomp will work, if that's all he has.
>>
>>31836364
Pic is most definitely related.

Anyone else have a ton of Gun Digest and other compendiums? I have about 4 now and I am always trying to get more.
>>
>>31837184
That is stupid advice.
.45 acp loads will destroy a Webley.
13kpsi vs 21kpsi is a big fucking difference.
>>
Can I neck size only fired brass for an autoloader if I hand pick good looking brass ? I have a lee classic loader I have never used before but I was wondering if some brass doesn't expand too bad in the shoulder and body and you can just do the neck ?
>>
>>31837330
You clearly don't reload. Get lost, kiddo.
>>
>>31837385
Short answer: no.

Long answer: no, and some autoloaders with tight chambers will require the use of small base dies to ensure rounds will feed.
>>
>>31837385
> Neck Size for bolt action only
> Full Length size when feed/extraction becomes tight or if loading for a semi auto
> Small Base for when a FL size doesn't cut it
> Test your sized brass with a case gauge

All my rifles shoot brass that has been FL sized w/o problems. The brass gets chewed up and discarded long before I need to use a small base die.
>>
>>31837140
What mec reloader do you recommend and what do they have over the lee loader that makes them that much more expensive?
>>
>>31837686
Not him but they are much more substantial feeling, I used to help reload for my college skeet team and the old Lee they had was mostly plastic and wobbled a lot. It doesn't really matter becasue for shotshells the only thing that matters is a proper crimp and the Lee does it well enough but after trying out a Me Gar at a Cabela's I would definitely prefer that should cost not be that much of an issue.

Also I'm not sure if this is hearsay or not (I used up all the powder every session so it wasn't an issue for me) but some powders have been claimed to eat the plastic, no idea if they fixed it but just don't store powder in there.

Also shot is never ever economical to reload unless you have hundreds of pounds of the stuff and go through hundreds of rounds a month. Get a slug mold and you will make your cash back much quicker.
>>
>>31837743
Yea i want to cast slugs, i thought the lee looked brittle but i didnt want to spend 300 on a reloader. It looks like there are some used/estate sale loaders on ebay that seem decent so i'll probably go that route.
>>
>>31837818
The Lee works but just doesn't feel nice, they have decent customer service so if you get an old one from ebay you might have a hard time finding parts if something is missing or breaks.
>>
>>31836581
I deliberately underloaded by about .9-1.0 grains of powder for the max acceptable amount of powder.

The bullet is undersized for the bore and I will make sure it is nice and well lubed. I'm not worried about undwrloading it much.
>>31836831
You are probably underestimating them, though this is a converted Mk VI (the .455 one)

I have a friend that wants to go shooting tomorrow and I managed to fuck up the break locks spring.

The damn thing snapped when I picked it up and opened it ( the usual "always loaded, always check the chamber" thing) and I've been away, trying to cobble a spring together to hold it together for a single shooting trip and probably three cylinders full of ammo...

Thank you all for contributing.
>>
How much tolerance can I have in my case length before I resize or toss out for being too short?

I'm assuming a case length of 1.76" means that anything over 1.77 gets trimmed and anything under 1.75 gets tossed. Is this too precise, or not precise enough?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.