[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convicted Felon who wants to legally obtain funs.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

How fucked am I /k/? Long story short I live in Chicago and was convicted of a non-violent felony when I was 17 but they tried me as an adult. I'm 29 now, have a good job for years, a clean record and no mental health issues, but I really want to get my FOID card. I've talked with a couple ex-marine buddies and they basically say I'm fucked. I'm thinking about getting a lawyer to help. Any advice?
>>
Pretty fucked. Your only options are black powder guns and air guns
>>
>>31828065
>I live in Chicago
You're automatically disqualified, felony or otherwise. Sorry man. You'll have to stick with machetes.
>>
>>31828065
I doubt living in chiraq will make the process any easier, but from what I understand, you'll have to submit a formal request to a judge to get your right to own funs back. Definitely consult a lawyer m8.

You would think that serving time would be punishment enough, right?
>>
>>31828065
You have a 1/1000000 of getting your rights back.

Expect a years long fight with bureaucracy, costing thousands of dollars.
>>
>>31828065
get a lawyer and spend the next 20 years feeling like you are being fucked by the system(because you are). Look up your state laws and start buying antiques(guns made during or before 1898) and air rifles(it depends on the state if you can own them.
>>
File: hnrtgfhrts.jpg (364KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hnrtgfhrts.jpg
364KB, 1024x768px
>>31828065
>convicted felon
>live in Chicago
>want to legally own funs
>>
>>31828125
>You would think that serving time would be punishment enough, right?
The problem is it's not for so many people
Look at all the nogs who rape some girl, serve time, get out, do it again within a day
>>
>>31828065
Just curious, what did you do to cop a felony?

>>31828125
>You would think that serving time would be punishment enough, right?
im not op but we really need some reforms in our laws. We also need to limit the power of the government(a day doesnt go buy where a new law isnt created).
>>
>>31828125
>>31828131
Would it help at all if I appeal my case for home defense/personal safety?
>>
File: 1457025553013.jpg (119KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
1457025553013.jpg
119KB, 1024x700px
>>31828180
not that guy but those dogs should be hanging from trees instead of being recidivist leeches and terrorizers of society
>>
>>31828206
agreed
>>
>>31828131
it's really not that rare. if you aren't a career fuck up i read about people getting gun rights restored all the time if its just the one incident.
>>
>>31828180
>Look at all the nogs who rape some girl, serve time, get out, do it again within a day
well that goes in hand with getting rid of mandatory sentences(so punishment fits the crime) and as a society we need to restore our standards while expanding community outreach with activities and events.
>>
>>31828065
Wow. It's almost like the life choices you make tend to stick with you. Who'd of thought?
>>
>>31828065
You need a governor or POTUS to pardon you. Have fun with that. Aside from that black powder cap and ball revolvers.
>>
File: 1454377630430.jpg (178KB, 830x553px) Image search: [Google]
1454377630430.jpg
178KB, 830x553px
>>31828277
now now people change you know, not all but some..
>>
>>31828293
no you don't. why do people make up shit they no knowledge of ?
>>
>>31828297
I'm not saying that they don't. But at some point, you made a bad choice. Now you have to live with it.
>>
>>31828299
People convicted of felons can't even be in the same house as someone who owns firearms as per BATFE definitions. There's no secret squirrel loophole around it.
>>
>>31828198
>>31828237
To OP. That's not easy to answer. Probably no in Chicago. People in government positions there are anti-gun and will tell you the cops are the fast enough and that nobody needs a gun.

To the other guy, no it's absolutely not impossible. I'm just in the state of mind that in Chicago it's gotta be 100x harder than getting it done in the rest of the country.
>>
>>31828329
The Director of the Illinois State Police or a local court shall restore a felon’s firearm civil rights in Illinois, under the Firearms Owner’s Identification Act under the following conditions, per the FOID Act:

the applicant has not been convicted of a forcible felony under the laws of this State or any other jurisdiction within 20 years of the applicant’s application for a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card, or at least 20 years have passed since the end of any period of imprisonment imposed in relation to that conviction;
the applicant’s criminal history and his reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
granting relief would not be contrary to the public interest; and
granting relief would not be contrary to federal law.

…The Director shall grant the relief if it is established by a preponderance of the evidence that the person will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and that granting relief would not be contrary to the public interest.
>>
>>31828316
And what does that provide to this thread?
>>
>>31828357
Just pointing out that OP is a crybaby faggot.
>>
>>31828065
Move
>>
>>31828065
just build your own ;)
>>
>>31828356
>The Director of the Illinois State Police or a local court shall restore a felon’s firearm civil rights in Illinois

Federal law overrides any state law. He'll be denied after completing a 4473.
>>
Just get a friend to buy you one
>>
>>31828434
as Trump would say WRONG!
>>
You should have lawyered up nigger. Now you're fucked.
>>
Lawyer up tomorrow and figure out what's what
>>31828478
I'm not a lawyer at all but I'm pretty sure if you write some letters, you could make a decent case.

Otherwise stock up on some pirate gear and get yourself a flintlock
>>
What's the point of serving in jail if you're not a full citizen when you go out.

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
>>
>>31828065
well you could always get a black powder revolver as its an antique firearm so you don't need an ffl.

But you should definitely not under any circumstances buy a conversion kit which would also ship straight to your door. That would be bad. So don't do that.
>>
Do you have a dog, OP?
>>
Expungement is a complex and potentially perilous (if you cheap out and get a crap lawyer) maneuver.

If, by some stroke of luck, you were convicted in a more liberty and gun-friendly state, you can leave Chicago/IL out of the picture and possibly have a better chance.

Generally anti-gun states are also profoundly anti-freedom and make things like expungements difficult and expensive.

In NJ you can kiss any kind of weapon possession goodbye completely. No one - frequently not even the cops - can own or possess tasers, slingshots, and coming soon, the dreaded laser pointers.

BB Guns, many softair, and until not so long ago, even paintball guns are all considered firearms.

Step 1 - GTFO of Illinois as soon as you have an expungement outcome, for good or for bad.
>>
>>31828065
You're fucked, faggot.
>>
>>31828065
you shouldnt have been a degenerate OP, better luck in your next life. or leave the country faggot, no one wants you here anymore
>>
On the plus side, this gives you a reason to get into muskets, archery, crossbows, and melee weapons.
>>
File: 1473016775042.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1473016775042.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>31828065

>non-violent felony

Not from the USA but what fucking business do they have taking your right to guns away in that case? I'm not about to pry into your personal business, but non-violent is non-violent and it doesn't make sense that it should prevent you from buying a gun.
>>
>>31828155
while those are technically not controlled weapons the law will probably dick you around hard (before ultimately failing) if they find you with them.
>>
>>31829357
if you are convicted of a any wrongdoing that can carry a sentence of a year or more you are federally banned from firearms.
>>
>>31829357
Just because something is non-violent doesn't mean it isn't bad. Stealing is nonviolent if you are just taking it without any confrontation. Also, fuck OP. He wrecked his life when it comes to guns, fuck him and fuck the faggots who can't fucking behave.
>>
>>31828356
>20 years of the applicant’s application
holy shit
my condolences OP. see you when you're 37. if you got charged as an adult you must have done something pretty bad
>>
>>31828065
Have your wife or boyfriend buy em if you're living in the same house.
>>
>>31828065
http://www.recordgone.com/illinois/il-firearm-rights-restoration-faq.htm
Felons CAN petition for the restoration of rights but no gurantees
>>
I live North of the border, but here one can apply for a "Pardon" after a certain amount of time has lapsed since conviction, provided no more fuck-ups. What this does is effectively seals your record from everyone.
>>
You live in Chicago, you'd be fucked even if you didn't commit crimes.

If protecting your own life matters to you, then move to Vermont
>>
>>31828065
I hope you never get back your rights
>>
>>31829398
You should kys
>>
>>31828065
>non-violent felony
Was it punishable by a year or more in prison? If not then you can still buy guns.
>>
>>31828185
I was suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration, consequently, I exposed myself to some people in public and mounted a vehicle.
>>
>>31828065
Disregard federal law, don't get caught.
>>
>>31829398
He's still a citizen of the country he lives in and deserves to be treated as such. Especially since he is a law-abiding, tax paying individual
>>
>>31828065
>Chicago

Stopped reading
>>
>>31830716
It's cool anon, I fucked up after working three double shifts in a row and getting piss drunk. Now I know not to do that.
>>
>>31831090
The moral of the story was don't trust your cousin, especially if she's hot and has daddy issues.
>>
>>31831061
>Law abiding
That's not what being a felon means
>>
File: 1427693634783.png (191KB, 400x285px) Image search: [Google]
1427693634783.png
191KB, 400x285px
>>31831096
Go on.
>>
File: 1476549012565.jpg (63KB, 640x665px) Image search: [Google]
1476549012565.jpg
63KB, 640x665px
>brother is a felon
>he can't own/buy/posses a firearm
>all he did was rip down a projector screen in high school
>criminal damage to property in excess of 400 dollars
>they didn't even let him plead down to a gross misdemeanor
>his rights gone because he got mad his jacket got caught on a big white plastic canvas sitting in the hallway
>>
>>31828434
Why won't this meme end. State law >fed law Everytime. Read the god damn Constitution people.
>>
>>31828791
Damn right
>>
>>31829357
Thank bill Clintons crime bill
>>
>>31830504
Kys bootlicker.
>>
>>31831097
So by your thought process by being convicted a felon all he does now is commit felonies non stomp. Go to be Hillary.
>>
>>31831132
>>31831154
Night /k/ is over, and /pol/s nasty ass shows up.
>>
>>31831116
Jesus christ
>>
>Convicted Felon who wants to legally obtain funs
>Convicted felon
>Legally obtain funs
>Felon
>Legally
That's not how that shit works
>>
>>31831164
Thanks for adding that intelligent comment to the conversation, good thing you are here to shit post.
>>
Being a "felon" should not even be a thing it's very existence violates the foundation of this country.
>>
>>31831196
Blame Jim Crow laws
>>
>>31831213
I do they are the same reason we still have pistol permits in NC.
>>
>>31831116
My brother is a felon due to classic "he broke up with his girlfriend and she cried wolf(pronounced rape) to the high school resource officer" story we've heard time and time again.
>>
>living in Chicago
>once a felon

Sorry man, the cards are stacked against you. No lawyer wants to deal with the fallout of successfully obtaining firearms for a felon, because it will open up a billion other cases as well.
>>
>>31830716
I'm from Chicago op, I completely understand. People only think Chicago is cold but in reality it's summers are just as bad
>>
>>31831542
So go eat a hot dog. You no gun zone pussy.
>>
>>31828065
1) The state has to have some method to give you your rights back.
Illinois requires that you request an FOID get declined, then appeal.
In other states (Louisiana for example) you get your gun rights back after 10 years unless its one of the "Enumerated Offenses" which are specifically banned from owning guns.

2) If the state where your conviction occurred has given your your gun rights back, you are no longer a "Prohibited Person" according to the Feds and can own guns.

3) UNLESS the state where your conviction occurred forbids you from having a CCL. In that case the Feds interpret a court case from 1998 (Caron v United States) that if your state doesnt let you have a CCL, then you are still a prohibited person, even if the state otherwise specifically returns your firearms rights to you.

So you have the odd situation of Louisiana (which is why I brought it up) where the state can specifically say you have your gun rights:
La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 14:95.1(C)
> The provisions of this Section prohibiting the possession of firearms and carrying concealed weapons by persons who have been convicted of certain felonies shall not apply to any person who has not been convicted of any felony for a period of ten years from the date of completion of sentence, probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

But then because of this, seemingly contradictory, law:
La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 40:1379.3(C)(10)
>To qualify for a concealed handgun permit, a citizen shall:
> Not have been convicted of, have entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to, or not be charged under indictment or a bill of information for any crime of violence or any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term of one year or greater.

And the way the Federal Government interpret Caron V United States, you can't have a gun according to them.
>>
>>31828316
You ever done something dumb when you were 17?
>>
>>31828329
So you have never actually bought a gun, have you?
Or you are a moron.
Ask me how I know.
>>
>>31828434
>>31831125

t. people who have never read the 4473

Morons.
>>
>>31831177
Yes it is.

Wow. You would think /k/ would have bothered to educate themselves about firearms law.
Guess not.
>>
>>31831643
There is dumb
And felony dumb
>>
>>31831658
Lots of things are felonies that you don't even know about.

If you are an average American, you commit 3 felonies per day.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.