[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AK build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: Bent-Polish-Receiver-Blank.jpg (147KB, 650x509px) Image search: [Google]
Bent-Polish-Receiver-Blank.jpg
147KB, 650x509px
So I'm gonna be piecing together two Kalashnikovs soon for me and my wife out of two 80% lowers. I have the capability to heat treat them at my work. I'm considering the 5.45 for a number of reasons. Any of you have experience with what this little yaw friendly guy can do? Or should I just build 47's?
>>
>>31821498
There's really no difference between building a 74 or 47
>>
>>31821535
There's a difference between the calibers though. I'm asking about the 5.45x39 exclusively used by the 74.
>>
>>31821554
Yes, and there's really no difference in building an AK chambered in 5.45x39 or 7.62x39
>>
>>31821578
Okay, I got that. What about ballistics. Anyone have any personal first hand experiences with the caliber? I've been watching and reading various sources. I want /k/'s opinion.
>>
>>31821652
If it were me, Id get a 7.62. Simply because it is more prevalent stateside than 5.45. Easier to get mags, ammo, that whole thing.
>>
>>31821693
I'm leaning towards the 7.62, but I like the idea of the lack of recoil and lower weight per round for my wife with the 5.45. I guess I should of specified, they are going to be SHTF raifus. I also like the idea of them being absent of a serial.
>>
Op I have built 3. How do you plan to heat treat them? In a oven or a torch? Also if you think it's going to save money it's not. You need a 12 ton press and a few simple jigs. I looked them up and welded my own.
It's kind of cheating but honestly it's so much easier buying one that the barrel is already put together. Other than that I would recommend building them both the same caliber to interchange mags and ammo. Love the idea of building them for you and your girl though. The 5.45 is good very little recoil just hard to find the ammo.
>>
>>31821892
It depends on the type of steel that I use. Either a furnace or a kiln. If those are too hot, then a MAP torch. I plan on buying the jigs, I don't think I'm competent enough to do the print out with adhesive.

As for the press we have 2, I work maintenance at night and am the only one in my building of the shop. I've been looking at the pre-assembled barrels though. I like the Polish WBP's.

Yeah, I plan on doing duplicate calibers.

Thanks anon!
>>
What parts kits are you going to use?
>>
>>31822175
Thinking this one.
http://armsofamerica.com/polishmodelwbpakm-47partskit762x39calwnitridebarrelwithoutfurniture-2-1-2.aspx
>>
Piggybacking off this thread, what are the options for doing a milled ak receiver build, a la AR-15 80%?
>>
>>31821578
>>31821535
incorrect, 74 has a different sized magwell cutout and a bullet guide that needs installing. building one is extremely similar, but receivers are not interchangable. you'll get a more exact answer in the akg, probably

>>31821892
have you ever heard of heat-treating by nitriding/meloniting? I havent found much on it
>>
>>31824743
No I never have. I tried to heat treat two different receivers before I ended up just buying nodak spud pre made ones. I couldn't get them to not warp when I heated up the holes
>>
File: 80_product_image_002.jpg (39KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
80_product_image_002.jpg
39KB, 600x600px
>>31823483
Plenty.
Here's my first search result.
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-ar-15-lower-receiver.html

>>31824743
Thanks, I didn't consider that.
>>
File: 1413848372592.jpg (43KB, 242x255px) Image search: [Google]
1413848372592.jpg
43KB, 242x255px
>>31824743
>magwell is already cut out on flat
>bullet guide is already installed in front trunnion

I fail to see the difference in the steps required to assemble a 47 vs. 74.
>>
>>31821652
I like the 74 but I'm entirely biased because my first AK was in 5.45. Once I finally got around to getting a 7.62, I was like wtf is this? Why can't I hit things while shooting with one hand? While 7.62 ammo is more prevelant, 5.45 is definitely not obscure on the internet marketplace for ammo, and usually runs around the same price as 5.56 (~.35 cents/rd).

There are all sorts of pros and cons to 5.45 ballistically speaking, but to sum it up without refreshing, 5.45 is flatter shooting and faster, which essentially turns this into a 5.56 vs 7.62 argument - accuracy vs power down range
>>
>>31826250
details, details. theyre not big differences, but they are indeed, differences.
afaik, there are trunnions that don't have bullet guides, but I could be wrong

>I'm not saying its a good idea, but
For example, if one was so inclined to make a 74 receiver into 47, they could do it without prohibitive cost by just cutting out extra metal to make the mag fit.
OTOH one could NOT feasibly go from a 47 receiver to a 74.
I think I was pointing out that receivers are not interchangeable, idk, that thought process has long since been lost
>>
>>31826211
No, for aks
>>
File: 1432182567441.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1432182567441.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
>>31827615
What point are you trying to make? If you buy a 47 parts kit, buy the corresponding nation's 47 receiver. If you buy a 74 parts kit, buy the corresponding nation's 74 receiver.

There's a large enough market for AK building parts now that you really don't need to afro engineer anything.
>>
>>31827780
Sorry I misread that. For 80% AK lowers, it will either be flat pre cut template that has to be pressed into shape. The other option is a already pressed lower, where you drill in the necassary holes. Both of which usually have to be heat treated afterwards.

>I just ran into another hindrance in my research. Screw vs rivets.
>>
>>31828459
I've heard of awful screw builds and ones that lasted thousands of rounds. Rivets just look better though.
>>
>>31828459
Maybe I should rephrase a bit.
Can I buy a milled 80% AK lower?
>>
>>31828547
I haven't seen one, but that's not to say one doesn't exist. Some forum digging might produce some answers, but honestly if something like this is around it would be a guy turning them out on his company's CNC during downtime.
>>
>>31828547
No, no you can't. Rifle Dynamics is supposed to be coming out with a finished milled receiver. You niggers are really triggering me by calling an AK receiver an "AK lower" you fucking hillbillies.
>>
>>31828648
Good point, I guess I've just gotten used to associating the term "80%" with the word "lower".
>>
>>31828648
>>31828838
Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't know the wiser. Just so used to dealing with uppers and lowers.
>>
>>31828480
Do they look bulkier?
As far as longevity is concerned, I was planning on using a hi temp compound (such as JB weld or the like) in the threads and bolt flats. In which case, my only fear would be lateral torsion and shearing from vibration. But to me, it seems the softer metal of the two are the rivets.
>>
File: dont cuck on me.png (63KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
dont cuck on me.png
63KB, 500x355px
>>31821776
Recoil isn't all that powerful from the 7.62. the round itself starts to drop off after about 300 metres anyway.

>I should of specified, they are going to be SHTF raifus.
Then you should definitely get them both in 7.62. If s does htf, there's way more 7.62 to go around, unless you plan on stockpiling 5.45.
>I also like the idea of them being absent of a serial.
Hide your dogs, OP
>>
>>31821498
On their page they have polish tantals listed with 556 barrels on their website as an option it's a much better deal to go with because you can run Bulgarian AK-74 556 magazines or you could pick up an AK 74 and one of the 556 barrels from AK builder.com this option gives you all the Form and Function of an AK pattern rifle but the availability of 556 ammunition in the United States. On a side note if you do choose to go with the 545 barrels they have been corrected and are no longer recycled 223
>>
>>31828459
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.