[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reloading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ammo-reloading.jpg (187KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
ammo-reloading.jpg
187KB, 1000x669px
I just started relaoding 9mm and it's going fine but now I want to get some .223 competition ammo and the question I have is do I need crimped bullets? I'm going to buy a cimping die but does it need a bullet with a crimping groove? What diffrence does the groove on the bullet in terms of precision and firmess make?
>>
>>31820092
No need to crimp .223, especially anything you want to be accurate.
>>
>>31820110
couln't that lead to a bullet setback durring feeding?
>>
>>31820092
Not an expert on reloading, but a "crimping groove" is called a cannelure.
>>
>>31820135
Not in rifle calibers. Or it is super unlikely if you have quality dies and have the correct neck tension.

Reload a .223 and push the bullet down on a table. I bet you wouldn't be able to set that bullet back unless you put shit tons of weight on it. This will alleviate your fears. I had the same fears when I started reloading.

The only purpose, really, of crimping 9mm is to crimp back down the flare that was necessary to seat the bullet. Some calibers, like .40, are more susceptible, but it is rare. Also, some magnum revolver calibers need crimp to make sure the bullet doesn't come lose and bind up the gun under the savage recoil.

But with precision rifle rounds, you do NOT want a crimp.
>>
>>31820155
sry im not a native speaker
but thx for the tip
>>
>>31820170
ok thanks
I don't crimp on my 9mm
is it recomended to crimp to eliminate the flare?
the 9mm I did so far worked out pretty well
>>
>>31820188
Yes, your seating die crimps a bit to get rid of the flare otherwise your cases would scrape and bind in the chamber and fuck up your gun. It is not really crimping the case but only taking the flare back down to nothing.
>>
>>31820186
If the bullets chambers properly then there is no need in 9mm. For my current competition rifle i can only use pmags because using steel magazines causes setback when feeding (it hits just under the ramp, i have rifle feedramps)
>>
>>31820212
Ok so I guess I'll have to trial and error to find out if I need it
>>
So I've been reloading for about 2 years now and I've always thought crimping pistol cartridges was necessary (especially for faster burning powders) for adequate combustion. Any of my uncrimped .38 loads have always left behind a mess of un-burnt powder.
>>
>>31820188
There are two kinds of crimp.
Roll and Taper.
Roll is for revolvers such as, but no limited to, .44 mag and such.
Taper is for 9mm, .30 carbine. Any cartridge that headspaces on the mouth of the cartridge.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.