[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1 ton of Black Powder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

How big of an explosion would it make?

Lets say this powder has been contained to blow up in the most efficient way possible.

Obviously it wouldn't make pic related, but I'm assuming it would be enough to obliterate a regular sized house, right?
>>
>>31813589
>Lets say this powder has been contained to blow up in the most efficient way possible.

So in a pressurized container with 10tons of pure oxygen and constantly mixed?
>>
>>31813589
Europe here, a powder tower exploded in my town a couple centuries ago, a cornerstone, a large boulder of several tons was thrown around 400 yards away. No idea how much powder it was tough.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbvNIaC3gKM
>>
More than enough to obliterate a house. Black powder explosions weren't exactly rare in history. One during the Siege of Almeida in 1810 was one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history.

>A shell made a chance hit on the medieval castle, within the star fortress, which was being used as the powder magazine. It ignited 4000 prepared charges, which in turn ignited 68,000 kg of black powder and 1,000,000 musket cartridges. The ensuing explosion killed 600 defenders and wounded 300. The medieval castle was razed to the ground and sections of the defences were damaged.
>>
>>31813674

>68,000 kg

Jesus fucking christ, imagine being that artilleryman. At the time, you scored the largest explosion in history which wouldn't be defeated until the air bombings of WW2 or the invention of the atomic bombs.
>>
>>31813727
>yfw during the Siege of Multan in 1848, a mortar shell hit a powder magazine and detonated 180,000 kg (396,000 lbs) of gunpowder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_artificial_non-nuclear_explosions
>>
>>31813674
Wiki says it did the cartoon/myth busters igniting of the powder trail thing.

>The governor was confident in withstanding the assault, until a shell made a freak hit. The great magazine in the castle had been used through the day to supply the defenders, and at some point a leaky powder keg had left a trail of powder leading up to the courtyard. At around 7 PM, one French shell landed in the courtyard, igniting a gunpowder trail that led through the still open door, and set off a chain reaction into the magazine. The ensuing explosion killed 600 defenders and wounded 300 more. The castle that housed the gunpowder was razed and sections of the defenses were damaged, leaving a crater still visible today.
>>
>>31813845
Holy shit, these are great.

>Mines in the Battle of Messines
>The explosions created 19 large craters, killed about 10,000 German soldiers, and were heard as far away as London and Dublin.

MUH
>>
>>31813941
>the single largest one in human history was the Soviets attempting to build their own version of the Saturn V
>>
>>31813974
If you look at the bottom of the article, it actually lists the top eight largest in human history, and the N1 Rocket explosion is last at 1 kiloton.

The largest by far is Minor Scale, when the US military blew up 4 kilotons worth of TNT to simulate a small nuclear explosion after testing bans prevented the use of a real nuke.
>>
>>31813941
What's even better is that one of the mines was discovered, flooded, and abandoned but all the undetonated explosives are still sitting under a barn on a farm.
>>
File: Nuketown 247.webm (514KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Nuketown 247.webm
514KB, 1280x720px
I love watching videos of large explosions
>>
File: Shock Wave.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Shock Wave.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>31816940
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.