[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Gun Death" Graph

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: 1443131532385.png (226KB, 652x523px) Image search: [Google]
1443131532385.png
226KB, 652x523px
Hey /k/, I have a friend who is kind of on the fence about firearms. He thinks if everybody in the US had one there'd be a lot more crime. I seemed to have lost my gun control/gun stats folder. Mind dumping some stuff on me?

I'm mainly looking for numbers. Stuff like how most gun deaths are suicides and stuff.
>>
File: 1445382816068.jpg (136KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1445382816068.jpg
136KB, 960x960px
>>
Well in the US, over 13000 people are killed by other people with guns. The total number of over 34000 deaths/year due to guns doesn't get any brighter with 21000 people killed/year from suicide with guns. It costs the US over 516 million dollars/year of hospital fees due to gun violence. Indeed, any gun owner who speaks of his deadly weapons as some range toy, some hunting tool, or a self defense weapon that they imply would use against a terrifying government does not speak for the rest of the otherwise peaceful population. Guns bring death simply because that is what they were designed to be used for.

>law enforcement and the military have guns so citizens should have guns as well!
The government owns weapons to counteract the weapons of evil men who endanger the lives of people and shake the stability of society.

>guns don't kill people. people kill people
....with guns

>a good guy with a gun...
Is a good guy until he becomes a bad guy with a gun. Who stops his rampage other than uniformed government enforcers?

In an ideal society, nobody would need weapons.
>>
>>31795632
Please add +1 to the yearly suicide rate
>>
>>31795632
In an Ideal society, there would be no need to ban weapons.
>>
>>31795632
>It costs the US over 516 million dollars/year of hospital fees due to gun violence
citation needed
>>
>>31795544
Correlation != causation.

There are a ton of reasons for the drop in violent crime. Non-zero sum economic growth, higher levels of secondary education, better planning and architecture, lower environmental dangers, education and advancement of gun safety, advancements in surveilence, changing currency.

The list is crazy long. CC is a small dent in a complex problem, painting it as the main reason is just stupid statistical manipulation for dumb people by dumb or manipulative people.
>>
>>31795773
>someone dies from gunshot wounds
>Oh economic struggles, minorities, drugs, and people who like peace like physically killed this person with uuuh
>the guy would have died without guns involved because everyday objects are more lethal than guns
>guns are tools designed to make projectiles go really fast for the sake of going fast
This is what gun owners actually believe.
>>
>>31795632
>ideal society
There's your fucking problem.
>>
>>31795632
People will kill each other with bombs, people will kill each other with knives, people will kill each other with bats, trucks, and fucking beer bottles.
Statistics have shown that violent crimes are actually higher in states with lenient gun laws, and homicide is generally similar. Look at Cali compared to Texas, look at Illinois compared to Florida. The rates for homicide stay the same, and while gun homicides do increase, it's not as if it's adding to the rates.
The real issue is cultural clash and gang fighting, and that is also why you start seeing more violence in places like France and Greece and a lot of central Europe. When people of different ideologies get together, people die.
Now it's fine and dandy to talk about ideals, but at the end of the day life is not ideal. People hate each other for no reason, and even weapon bans will only enlarge the black market, and it's more than obvious the US is excessively susceptible to smuggling.
If you want to stop homicides in the US, end the drug war and stop this stupid media sensationalism that breeds hate.
>>
File: USgeneral.jpg (1MB, 1029x4529px) Image search: [Google]
USgeneral.jpg
1MB, 1029x4529px
This would be my favourite image, but it's so big that you can't post it on facebook because the lowered quality makes it illegible
>>
>>31795814
Nothing you said had anything to do with what that guy just posted. He's trying to explain that violent crime has seen an overall downward trend in recent years due to aforementioned reasons such as
>better secondary education
>better economic situation
>reduction in poverty
Etc. Therefore if the trend were to continue then it makes the point of banning guns a little more moot. This is without going into the overall logistical nightmare of attempting outright confiscation and the amount of political clout firearm owners have acquired in the years since the Clinton AWB in order to prevent it from happening again.
>>
File: danger1.jpg (57KB, 640x624px) Image search: [Google]
danger1.jpg
57KB, 640x624px
>>
>>31796094
>whites are incapable of doing wrong meme
Even /pol/ is moving away from this.
>>
>>31796107
It does not even say that. Belgium and Luxembourg are mostly white are they not? Yet they still have crime.
>>
>>31795632
I don't know if you're cut out for life in America with those kinds of views. You should try reading up on what the Founding Fathers had to say about guns and see if that changes your opinion on the matter.
>>
>>31795632
well, is the govt and LEO responsible for your safety? How fast can they get to your home at 3am? Or to your car at a traffic light? Or you on the street?
>the cops are only required to investigate crime, not stop it.
Unltimately YOU are responsible for your own safety. You lock your doors, maybe get an alarm system. And as a last resort do you have a gun to defend your home or do you say "fuck it, kill me"
Guns are for that worst case situation. That last line of defense of your life and your families life.
The gun also puts a little old lady on the same footing as a 6'9 350lbs muscled criminal, it makes us all equal.
>>
File: 1280x720-fPN.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-fPN.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>31796295
I live in Canada.
>tfw less than 160 gun homicides a year
>tfw over 40% gangsters killing gangsters
>tfw almost impossible to die by gunshot homicide in Canada even if you are in a gang
>>
>>31796321
So are you saying that if America adopted Canada's gun laws that we would see the same kind of statistics as a result?
>>
>>31796321
And yet we're still one of the most armed countries in the world.
>>
>>31796313
> is the govt and LEO responsible for your safety?

No. SCOTUS in Warren v DC holds that gov and LEO are only responsible for keeping the peace.

In Heller v DC and McDonald v Chicago SCOTUS ruled that individuals are responsible for their own self defense.
>>
File: _90478579_mediaitem90478578.jpg (44KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_90478579_mediaitem90478578.jpg
44KB, 624x351px
>>31795632
>...with guns

I see this is a gun. My entire life is a lie.
>>
>>31795632
>Is a good guy until he becomes a bad guy with a gun. Who stops his rampage other than uniformed government enforcers?

Strawmanning gun owners and making them appear as though they're crazies waiting to pop.

Yeah, argument discarded.
>>
File: shitposter.png (800KB, 777x789px) Image search: [Google]
shitposter.png
800KB, 777x789px
>>31795632
>>
>>31797277
that was my point.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.