[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trail/Camp Guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20161024_222524.jpg (4MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161024_222524.jpg
4MB, 4000x2992px
What does /k/ bring when hiking and camping?

My grandpa gave me this .357 S&W highway patrolman about 10 years ago as a housewarming present. It has been the only gun I've owned and shot extensively and I'm very comfortable with it. Not only have I been using it for a home protection gun, I have also been open carrying it during hiking and camping trips.

My grandpa recently died and the sentimental value of this gun has gone through the roof. I know it's not in pristine condition or anything but I no longer want to carry it in fear of losing it or messing it up. I want to get something to replace this gun for when im out camping and hiking.

I think .357 would be fine as there are only black bears and Bob cats in the area. I wouldn't mind trying a new brand, but I would like to get something brand new. Other than getting another large S&W I would like to know what you guys think of other options like the Ruger Blackhawk. I know little of guns so if you guys could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
>>
Ruger makes some nice cheap revolvers that would work well. Also check out maybe a 1911 or some other 45. Personally I'm looking into a 12 gauge, but I have bigger things that want to kill me. Don't piss off the black bears too bad and maybe go hotter than 357. I have never had an issue with a bobcat, but don't believe people when they say their arent cougars. The cougars will fuck your shit.
>>
File: 20160916_090649~2.jpg (3MB, 2531x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160916_090649~2.jpg
3MB, 2531x3024px
>>31794907
I Bring my slr104 hiking every time.
>>
Depends on your size and weight constraints. Could carry a mini or micro draco.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px)
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Look into semi autos or a rifle. I'm picking up a g29 10mm here in February for my hiking pistol when I don't want to bring pic related slr107fr. Ate 600 rounds like a champ last yesterday.
>>
>>31794907
A .357 will stop a grizzly with 2-3 shots. May drive it away or kill with one.
>>
>>31794980
Would a .45acp generally be enough for a black bear? I know shot placement is important obviously.

>>31795021
Nice, do you find it cumbersome to carry it around with a full camp pack?

>>31795038
I honestly have not thought of carrying anything larger than a pistol. I guess I always imagined it would be too much of a pain in the ass. I also do run into other hikers occasionally, they don't seem to give a second glance at my pistol but im not sure how people would react to a long arm. Though I guess it wouldn't matter much really. Should I consider a shotgun?
>>
>>31794907
If you want a gun with a similar manual of arms, similar handling characteristics, and that also uses the same ammo as your grandpa's gun, look into getting a Smith and Wesson 686 Plus. They're 7-shot .357 magnums that are built to withstand continuous use of hot magnum loads while still being small enough that you wouldn't necessarily be adding an undue amount of weight, since they're available in barrel lengths ranging from 2 inches to 6 inches.

They also happen to be Smith and Wesson's flagship gun, and they're probably the finest standard production revolvers in the world right now.

That being said, if you're really in the market for a different kind of gun consider looking into a takedown rifle or a pistol carbine. The former can be expensive, but the latter are very cheap and quite effective as truck/camp guns. Also

>Ruger Blackhawk

It's a worthy gun, but it's also single action only. Look into a Security Six or GP100 if you want to try a Ruger in .357.
>>
>>31795065
>Should I consider a shotgun?

Probably not. Most of them have barrels that are 20 to 30 inches long, and they weigh more empty than an AR does with a full mag.
>>
File: g20 g4.jpg (182KB, 640x480px)
g20 g4.jpg
182KB, 640x480px
>>31794907
10mm Glock
>>
>>31795099
>686+
>meant to withstand continuous use of hot loads
Pick one and only one
>>
>>31795134
> Available in six and seven shot cylinders, the L-Frame has a strong, durable frame and barrel built for continuous Magnum® usage.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-686-plus-2
>>
>>31795134
Barring the occasional lemon, they are designed to be able to shoot .357 continuously as opposed to the original K-framed Magnums that would go full-Glock if you were to try and do that.
>>
File: 20160726_130707~2.jpg (2MB, 2743x2000px)
20160726_130707~2.jpg
2MB, 2743x2000px
>>31795040
i take my p226 if i want to be more discrete.
>>
>>31795065
not at all 50+ miles later i feel out of place without it.
>>
Glocker & Wesson PP9s

Polymer frame 9mm. Not carrying nice guns innawoods, lightweight, and you should be more worried about people and snakes instead of black bears or cougars which both can be dropped with a Gold Dot or HST.
>>
>>31794907
Well brand loyalty or favoritism aside a Ruger GP101 4" barrel five shot .357 or similar will do the trick. You don't need giant big game hunting revolvers

While it's the bill or rights, not the bill of needs, shall not be infringed etc. most of the time when hiking, climbing etc and you are not specifically hunting, you are rarely going to discharge your pistol more than one shot unless you do come up against a bear or moose.

Most of the time is one shot to decap a snake or one shot to kill racoons or skunks or the like.

Two shots to defend againt attacking wolves, coyotes, or a mountain lions.

I do encourage having at least a five shot revolver in the super rare chance you need to defend yourself from redneck raiders trying to rape or rob you.

.357 magnum

.44 magnum

.45 long colt
>>
I find the Blackhawk almost unbearably sexy, and single action isn't that cumbersome. You load it, and you'll have 6 shots ready. Enough for most situations. It also has excellent precision for a low price. There are of course many better choices but I'm just saying that the blackhawk is pretty good. I mostly have hogue rubber grips on because I shoot better with them, but they look like shit. In your situation I would likely prefer a marlin lever rifle in .45-70. It's light, short, good accuracy up to 100m and has extreme stopping power. The price is low as well and you can get it in stainless. Surprisingly pleasant to shoot as well.
>>
>>31795237
Thank you, I'll carry a derringer in .357 then.
>>
>>31794907
My main hiking gun is a gp100 they are built like tanks and are not as expensive as a Smith 586 or 686.
>>
>>31794907
LAR Grizzly
Coonan 357
Coonan 357 compact
Deagle

I know the deagle is a meme but you can't go wrong with revolver cartridge semi autos.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.