[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Doomsday Weapons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 14

File: k7hjcfcwrygz1dmr5log.jpg (53KB, 800x434px) Image search: [Google]
k7hjcfcwrygz1dmr5log.jpg
53KB, 800x434px
>The proposed use for nuclear-powered ramjets would be to power acruise missile, called SLAM, forSupersonic Low Altitude Missile. In order to reach ramjet speed, it would be launched from the ground by a cluster of conventional rocket boosters. Once it reached cruising altitude and was far away from populated areas, the nuclear reactor would be made critical. Since nuclear power gave it almost unlimited range, the missile could cruise in circles over the ocean until ordered "down to the deck" for its supersonic dash to targets in the Soviet Union. The SLAM as proposed would carry a payload of many nuclear weapons to be dropped on multiple targets, making the cruise missile into an unmanned bomber. After delivering all its warheads, the missile could then spend weeks flying over populated areas at low altitudes, causing tremendous ground damage with its shock wave. When it finally lost enough power to fly, and crash-landed, the engine would have a good chance of spewing deadly radiation for months to come.

Jesus fucking Christ, please tell me this didn't turn into a secret black ops project
>>
There would be a massive trail of fallout. People would notice.
>>
>>31794192
I remember reading a short story in which Soviets had weaponized Soggoths, and US answered with these slamming beauties. It was pretty good.
>>
>>31794248
You mean A Colder War? It was pretty good, almost chilling at the end.
>>
File: 1427186606966.png (290KB, 590x548px) Image search: [Google]
1427186606966.png
290KB, 590x548px
>>31794192
I always wondered - yea, fallout & polution - but then why not use it to power space rockets?
Would lack of cold atmospheric air used for cooling make this design impossible to use in space?
>>
File: shoggoth_by_douzen-d5i2sf8[1].jpg (141KB, 807x990px) Image search: [Google]
shoggoth_by_douzen-d5i2sf8[1].jpg
141KB, 807x990px
>>31794248
Thought you meant Shoggoths.
>>
>>31794277
It's a fucking ramjet you asshole. Please tell me you don't own guns.
>>
>>31794256
Yeah, that's the one, couldn't remember the name. I wonder if SLAMs have been featured in other media, it's such a batshit insane design with an immense cool factor.
>>
>>31794288
Please do excuse me, I've been up all night.
>>
>>31794393
NP. Weaponized Shoggoths would also work.
>>
>>31794288
that is what he meant isn't it?
>>
File: casaba_howitzer.jpg (74KB, 342x400px) Image search: [Google]
casaba_howitzer.jpg
74KB, 342x400px
>>31794277

In space, no, since it's a ramjet. But you could definitely fly one around on mars, venus, or any other celestial body in the solar system with some manner of atmosphere.

To get it there, you'd use something like project orion - a spaceship propelled by throwing nuclear bombs out the back and riding the shockwave.
>>
>>31794248

What's a soggoth and why does asking make me feel stupid?
>>
>>31794248
I think it was Cuthulu.
>>
I dont understand how making its reactor critical would serve as a propulsion system. It would just make it really hot.

I guess.. what incoming air gets heated up and then expelled out the back? I guess that makes sense as a ramjet. Im not sure though, it still seems like just turning heat into propulsion is inefficient.
>>
>>31794466
http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Shoggoth
>>
>>31794476
They actually built and tested the engine and it worked.

The Cold War was so fucking insane.
>>
>>31794476

uh, making things hot is the only way to turn that energy into useful work, and applies not only to this nuclear ramjet, but to conventionally-fuelled ramjets, turbojets, piston engines and literally any other type of engine you can think of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_engine
>>
>>31794368
There was something like it in Blassreiter, it even went a step further and had point defenses so fighters couldn't shoot it down.
>>
>>31794256
Was it chilling because things got colder?
>>
>>31794192
>Jesus fucking Christ

The Cold War was no joke, kiddies.

There's no fun like going to bed every night wondering if you were going to wake up in a post-nuclear wasteland.

Only for real.

And the SLAM, or Pluto, was only one of the weapon systems they designed. They didn't build the SLAM because ICBM's were WORSE.

And IRBM's were the worst of the lot.

It was a great day when the last Patriot missile was destroyed. There's a reason they have one on display in the Smithsonian.
>>
>>31794663

>They didn't build the SLAM because ICBM's were WORSE.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the SLAM was far worse.
>>
>>31794784
>>They didn't build the SLAM because ICBM's were WORSE.
>Yeah I'm pretty sure the SLAM was far worse.

Not even in the same ballpark.

ICBM's are an interesting weapon system.

The US land-based ICBM, the Minuteman 3, was deployed in 1970. We haven't felt any need to update it for 45 years, because we were just that far ahead in technology.

Plus, to be honest, in 1987 we moved all our ICBM's to submarines, anyway. And after 30 years, nobody can come close to that weapon system to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ICBMs

At any moment, the US can hit a country with 80+ warheads, each of 400+ kilotons, with a CEP of 150 meters, and a flight time of as little as four minutes.

From any direction.

That's one submarine load.

And we designed, built, and deployed that weapon system thirty years ago.

Imagine what we could do now if we felt the need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ICBMs
>>
>>31794574
yeah but you usually use something other than just having a static heat source sitting there warming up air by itself
>>
File: nuclear_thermal_rocket_diagram.png (65KB, 1280x651px) Image search: [Google]
nuclear_thermal_rocket_diagram.png
65KB, 1280x651px
>>31794277
Look up nuclear thermal rockets. They use liquid hydrogen run over a nuclear reactor's heat exchanger to create the expanding exhaust gases. The thrust-to-weight ratio for such a design is incredibly low, but the specific impulse is amazing. As a result, they'd be excellent for use in orbital stages, while conventional rockets could be used for the atmospheric stages.

We've toyed with the idea and even built a few prototype motors, but the risk of having a catastrophic failure while carrying a fission reactor has always been deemed too great.
A fusion reactor could solve those issues if only we could make a sustainable one, let alone a reactor small enough to use in a rocket. I still have hope for the concept, personally.
>>
>>31794192
the concept would be incredibly obsolete now, but back before true ICBMs were a thing, the Soviets devised a launch vehicle that would accelerate rapidly before launching a missile, which increased the missile's range and allowed it to reach the US from within the Soviet Union. This threatened to break the Cold War balance of power and plunge the world into war.

Supposedly one prototype was made, but I'm not sure what happened to it.
>>
>>31794906
Been at quagilane during tests. More like cep of two meters.
>>
File: 1299503583273.gif (584KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1299503583273.gif
584KB, 320x180px
>>31795033
There was a prototype made... it was called the Shagohod. Thanks to a true patriot it never saw mass production.
>>
what if the Cold War never ended and countries just continually kept developing bigger and badder nuclear weapons? what's the absolute most terrifying WMD that could be managed with today's technology?
>>
>>31795066
driving out to an asteroid, planting your nose in it and pushing that shit all the way to moscow over the course of several decades, during which your spies spend all their time obfuscating the evidence that any human foul play was involved when your enemy's capital suddenly vanishes in a cloud of fuck you stalin.
>>
>>31795078

is just redirecting an asteroid really the worst we can do with what's scientifically possible today? I was thinking more along the lines of completely-uninhabitable-for-10,000-years kinds of weapons
>>
>>31795113
Modern gene-editing techniques could make for some really nasty biological warfare
>>
>>31795141

what kind of fun stuff are you talking about?
>>
>>31795141
This is what really scares me desu. More so even than nuclear weapons
>>
>>31795066
We stopped making bigger nukes cause more smaller nukes are more efficient.
>>
>>31795078
That would be extremely idiotic.
>>
>>31794466
>why does asking make me feel stupid?
bcoz can't into Google
>>
>>31795160
>>31795151
>Eugenics yourself up some "refugees"
>Coalburners taint the population over ~3 generations
>War were declared
>Release universal bioweapon and targeted bioweapon developed with your test tube shitskins
> Massive domestic population loss.jpg

Pretty much the plot of FO3
>>
>>31794906
>flight time of as little as four minutes.
Physics says no friendo.
Just making it to the upper atmosphere takes longer than 4 minutes.
>>
>>31795066
> what's the absolute most terrifying WMD that could be managed with today's technology?
focused nuclear detonations in the vein of casaba warheads probably.
Remove the ability to intercept the warhead in its terminal phase by making the warhead's terminal phase far shorter because it detonates 50-100 km AGL and annihilates its target with focused nuclear plasma or a bomb pumped laser of some kind. Combine a system that no longer needs penaids such as dummy warheads with MIRV systems and you'd have a most terrifyingly effective weapon. A single SSBN could wipe out any country's warmaking capability on the planet by itself.
>>
>>31795066
3 words.

>Nuclear
>Powered
>Glocks
>>
>>31795179
it's the most efficient possible way to make the biggest possible boom, so no, I don't think it would be very idiotic.
>>
>>31795470
>The most efficient possible way to completely obliterate Moscow is to expend tens if not hundreds of km/s dV to tow an asteroid large enough to sustain enough mass to destroy Moscow after atmospheric entry hundreds of millions of kilometres towards Earth then letting it fall through the atmosphere shedding enormous amounts of mass causing catastrophic collateral damage across the globe and praying we nailed the calculations and didn't just obliterate Helsinki by accident
>>
>>31794474
The Soviets weaponized both of them. Basically the US decided to abandon their own attempts at weaponizing Lovecraftian monsters and standardized on nukes and SLAMs for the WMD role.

When the Soviets released codename K-THULHU the Americans launched their entire fleet of SLAMs to no effect. [spoiler]It basically lumbered across Europe, eating the minds of everything within 200 miles and apparently managed to reach the eastern seaboard.

The ending has the MC, who has apparently fled to another world, wonder what things are like back on earth. A voice that might be his own subconscious suggests that he might have already been devoured by K-THULHU and is merely being kept alive so the beast can feed on his suffering.

He actually contemplates suicide, but realises there's no point; if he was wrong, he'd be dying for nothing, and if he was right, death would be no escape.[/spoiler]
>>
>>31794216
By the point you decide to launch one of these things, a little more radiation probably won't hurt too much. Like I would keep these things at a secret airfield to only be used after we lost a nuclear war, as a final "Fuck YOU!" to the enemy.
>>
what's the Russian jet that was designed to fly super low and liquefy waves of Chinese infantry over the steppes of Central Asia w/ sustained sonic booms, that one's heavy metal as fuck
>>
>>31795179
UUUU
>>
>>31796124
Safely testing this shit would be impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5nZ-SwngnE.
>>
File: 142874047.jpg (58KB, 496x312px) Image search: [Google]
142874047.jpg
58KB, 496x312px
>>31796817
Myasishchev M-25
>>
>>31794998
>low thrust/weight
>high specific impulse
Literally just a nuclear ion thruster
>>
>>31795274
I think he means a Depressed Trajectory launch. Instead of using a missile's full capabilities of hitting a target 7500mi away, you can sneak 75mi away and fire. This is not as efficient but it reduces travel time drastically.
>>
>>31794192
RESURRECT THIS
>>
>>31797048
In a sense, but not quite as obnoxiously anemic as an ion thruster. It'd be a very nice middle ground between chemical rockets and ion thrusters. Good for use on larger payloads.
>>
>>31795336
Suddenly "glocknade" takes on a whole new meaning.
>>
>>31795177

that's not the question though
>>
How could you even think of going to war with them
I could never harm this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmX1V6_gukY
>>
>>31795796
>The Soviets weaponized both of them. Basically the US decided to abandon their own attempts at weaponizing Lovecraftian monsters and standardized on nukes and SLAMs for the WMD role.
The history bits were cool too.
>axis & allies sign "no eldritch weapons" treaty in WW2
>soviet parade with shoggoths on trucks pacified by sigil tarps
>most bombers cut in favor of SLAM (somehow piloted)
>saddam experiments with yog-sothoth
>khomeini tries to get a martyr to nuke baghdad
>Reagan's "begin bombing in 5 minutes" joke starts WW3
>middle east goes dunwich
>cthulhu rises from the baltic
>escape portal under DC leads offworld
>planet is barely habitable
>apocalypse bunker is named MASADA
>I love lucy reruns forever
>>
>>31795796
>The ending has the MC, who has apparently fled to another world, wonder what things are like back on earth. A voice that might be his own subconscious suggests that he might have already been devoured by K-THULHU and is merely being kept alive so the beast can feed on his suffering.
The concept of the XK-Masada refuge is pretty cool.
>>
>>31797521
also the Israelis sell a nuke to Iran so they can bomb Baghdad and prevent Saddam Hussein from conjuring Yog Sothoth through human sacrifices
>>
>>31794663
I doubt most of this board remembers hiding under their desks or moving to the school shelter when the sirens went off.
The reality was terrible.
>>
>>31794906
ICBMs lasted as long as it needed to deliver. SLAMs shit radiation and shockwave for up to 7 fucking constant years.
Your IQ must be right around room temperature.
>>
The real doomsday weapon is the human mind. Everything else is simply a means to an end.
>>
>worst weapon imaginable
I'm not a geneticist but my understanding is that viruses are really goddamn good at fucking with DNA, and in fact a noticeable chunk of our genetic code is just inert viruses. Why not take an obnoxiously contagious virus and use it to rewrite the DNA of the infected person. You don't need to even have a specific target in mind, just tell it to rewrite as much of you as possible to gibberish. However it would be better if it could give you a precise genetic disease, like that fatal familial insomnia one where you lose the capacity for sleep and literally die of sleep deprivation over the course of months.

Even with breakthroughs like CRISPR it would be impossible to fix every person infected before most of them die.
>>
>>31797607
edgy as fuck
>>
>>31797672
I've got some band aids if you cut yourself
>>
>>31797530
It even had F-117s doing patrols around the base.

I'm not sure how they could stop anything on a godlike scale, but with the other symbolism like the base built over an ancient dead city on a dying world, dead relatives, people moving like leaves in the wind, comparing the planes to extinct pteradons and the very name of the colony, it doesn't matter anyway.
>>
File: Pluto_run.jpg (19KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
Pluto_run.jpg
19KB, 800x500px
>>31794192
>>31794192
Are they cheaper by the six-pack?
One way to clear out ISIS and the rest of the kebabs. Just orbit the things around the Middle Shitholistan after delivery of it's bombs. The shock wave kills things on the ground, let alone the hard radiation.
>>
>>31794447
Don't forget the Cobalt, Zinc, or Gold for salting the fallout with really nasty short half-live stuff.
>>
>>31794192
>Real Doomsday Weapons

>>31798325
I read somewhere that there were plans for >1Gt cobalt-60 "backyard" nukes in the 60s. Basically, you detonate several in Alaska and watch as fallout-carrying winds make half of Russia uninhabitable for 100 years.

Also, genetically engineered viruses, activated by the slight differences in the DNA of different ethnic groups or races could potentially make for a pretty gud shoah weapon. Maybe not vs the US, but against homogenous european and asian nation states.
>>
File: Hansen-three-stage-bomb.jpg (43KB, 500x292px) Image search: [Google]
Hansen-three-stage-bomb.jpg
43KB, 500x292px
>>31794192
The scientist Edward Teller, according to one account, kept a blackboard in his office at Los Alamos during World War II with a list of hypothetical nuclear weapons on it. The last item on his list was the largest one he could imagine. The method of “delivery” — weapon-designer jargon for how you get your bomb from here to there, the target — was listed as “Backyard.” As the scientist who related this anecdote explained, “since that particular design would probably kill everyone on Earth, there was no use carting it anywhere.”
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2012/09/12/in-search-of-a-bigger-boom/
>>
File: Exploding-Sun.jpg (144KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Exploding-Sun.jpg
144KB, 800x800px
>>31794192
Blow up the Sun with a focused hydrogen bomb. There is even a link to a white paper on the subject.
"Why even contemplate such a horrible scenario? It is necessary because as thermonuclear and space technology spreads to even the least powerful nations in the centuries ahead, a dying dictator having thermonuclear missile weapons can proce [sic] (with some considerable mobilization of his military/industrial complex)—an artificial explosion of the Sun and take into his grave the whole of humanity. It might take tens of thousands of people to make and launch the hardware, but only a very few need know the final targeting data of what might be otherwise a weapon purely thought of (within the dictator’s defense industry) as being built for peaceful, deterrent use. "

http://io9.gizmodo.com/scientists-say-its-possible-to-blow-up-the-sun-on-pur-1081542892
>>
>>31798486

>Blow up the Sun with a focused hydrogen bomb.

Stopped reading right there
>>
>>31797915
It's just a hollow gesture like XK-MASADA was. The point is that nobody wins a nuclear war and nobody survives when Great Cthulhu awakes.

Here, just read it.

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm
>>
File: WJH5LCJ.gif (2MB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
WJH5LCJ.gif
2MB, 500x376px
>>31794256
It's a shame the author went balls-to-the-wall liberal. His earlier stuff is pretty fun. Cold War stories where they went about weaponizing cthulu-mythos shit and other crazy stuff from mythology like slaving a medusa so it worked through CCTVs.

Then he hopped on the "Women aren't properly represented in media!" bandwagon and his creativity took a fuckin nose dive as he entered the SJW echo chamber.
>>
>>31797571
No duck and cover. We knew we were toast and focused on living in the now. How to learn DGAF
>>
File: 20161025_222804.jpg (518KB, 875x1116px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_222804.jpg
518KB, 875x1116px
>>31797571
Literally have this framed and hanging on my wall. Phone's camera is ass, but you get the idea.
>>
>>31803980
When did it start? The one about superheroes started sounding like crap to me.
>>
>>31798395
I came
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.