[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black Powder Thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

File: 1851-navy-revolver.png (520KB, 2000x704px) Image search: [Google]
1851-navy-revolver.png
520KB, 2000x704px
Is there enough interest in a black powder thread?

Convince me not to buy a fucking $900 Pietta LeMat. I should just be a good boy and buy an 1851 or something, right?
>>
buy a LeMat
>>
>>31780630
I love my 1851, but get the LeMat.
>>
Cabellas has a griswold for sale for about 250. Thought that would be pretty cool as my first black powder gun. Figured the historicity of it would be neat.

Should I start with a pistol or a rifle? All the rifles seem a bit more than what I'd like to pay for a hobby gun.
>>
File: Goddamn Jokero.jpg (59KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Goddamn Jokero.jpg
59KB, 1000x750px
buy a lemat
>>
File: lemat.gif (87KB, 733x223px) Image search: [Google]
lemat.gif
87KB, 733x223px
>>31780651
>>31780713

I hear the loading lever is a piece of shit and breaks off all the time. Plus it's 3x more expensive and I have no experience with BP yet. I feel like I'm buying into a meme. It's not the hurr shotgun revolver!! thing though, I just love the giant sweeping looks of the damned thing. If it were $500 even I probably wouldn't need convincing, but I could easily buy a new glock and plenty of ammo for the same price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5M-QQIOc5k

This guy has shitty impressions of the thing, though his is rather old and I think there might be a new batch of them being made right now.
>>
File: FireflyLemat.jpg (532KB, 1531x762px) Image search: [Google]
FireflyLemat.jpg
532KB, 1531x762px
>>31780630
Get the LeMat
>>
>>31780748
>>31780819

I take it no one here actually owns one?
>>
>>31780741

Buying a revolver would probably be better to begin with, since they're so cheap and readily available.
>>
File: bmjNAmT.jpg (271KB, 1600x842px) Image search: [Google]
bmjNAmT.jpg
271KB, 1600x842px
>>
File: 66223635.jpg (183KB, 914x508px) Image search: [Google]
66223635.jpg
183KB, 914x508px
the fuds are real in this thread
>>
>>31780748
except you you are no fud why are you hide in in the fud thread are you a closet fud
>>
>>31780630
Get a uberti 1851 navy. Don't get pietta, especially brass frame ones.
>>
>>31780741
Go to Dixie gun works and buy a uberti 1851 navy for $275. Cheapest place to get them.
>>
>>31782571
>>31782589

That was the plan if I don't get a LeMat, an 1851 Navy London for all my favorite weeb fantasies.
>>
>>31782752
Good deal. I may get one for myself on my birthday.
>>
Go with the 1851/1861 to start. If you like it the. Go for the lemat. At least then you know what your getting into.

I've got three Bp guns and would love a lemat. But I'm just to cheap to spend that on one Bp gun. That's more than I spent on a 1851 and to flintlock kits combined.
>>
>>31782537

It's 'Fudd'

2 D's.
>>
>>31782537
Fuck off dude. I'm not an old man, I have an AR15 and going to build an AK also. I believe everyone should. Just because I like antique reproductions doesn't mean I'm a fudd.
>>
>>31782808

Is it true you can't use BP substitute with flintlocks? I was considering buying a Pedersoli flintlock rifle awhile ago.
>>
>>31780630
Do not buy a LeMat unless you're a richfag and like it for a curio. It really is a complete piece of junk.

t. a reenactor
>>
>>31783123

Are there really any substantial issues besides the loading lever and the unwieldiness?
>>
>>31783163
Well its extremely slow to reload, even for a black powder weapon. You can't just pull a lever and swap out the cylinder like on 1851s and the like. The internals aren't that great either. You can't really blame Pietta for that, they just make an accurate repro.

I totally get why you want one, a 9 shot revolver with a shotgun barrel is a badass idea, but Dr. LeMat just couldn't execute it well.
>>
>>31783246

I'm not concerned with slow reloads, I just don't want the thing to fucking break after spending $1000 and not have anyone to call about it because of fucking Italians.

Surely some fuckers out there could make all the breaky bits out of titanium steel and be done with it.
>>
>>31783277
Quite right, but then it'd cost even more. And it'd be good if Pietta would set up a workshop in, say South Carolina like FN did. Be easier for us all and probably a tad cheaper. So yeah, for the amount you pay I'd say it's not worth it. Go for a Colt Dragoon instead.
>>
>>31780630

do it faggot, the concept behind the LeMat is just too fucking cool to pass up if you can get one
>>
Anybody have any experience with the guns from militaryheritage.com? I've been thinking it would be nice to add some early style guns like pic related to my collection, but they are on the cheaper side of bp long guns which makes me worry about quality.

Also they say on their site that none of their guns are shipped with the vent drilled so anybody have any experience drilling/getting a vent drilled for a gun?
>>
>>31783331
>>31783339

I guess I'll just buy an 1851 and see how that works, then think about getting a LeMat if the money comes my way and I enjoy shooting the colt.
>>
>>31783427
Frig THAT. There are any number of sites that sell fully functional bang sticks. And yes, the Indian made locks are hand forged and are really good sparkers.
>>
File: BattleGrounds14[1].jpg (65KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
BattleGrounds14[1].jpg
65KB, 1024x768px
Any recomendations for a black powder long gun for a beginner? Also any good resources in general for what I would need in terms of supplies to feed and maintain it?

Im no hunter I just have always wanted some kind of classic/revolutionary erra looking muzzleloader for my collection with fun at the range in mind

honestly I think the desire comes from playing many hours of the Battlegrounds mod
>>
>>31780630
Would anyone on here CC one of these?
Other than the obvious size, fire rate, reload etc. are there any downsides to being Cullen Bohannon?
>>
>>31783655

>CC
>LeMat
>>
>>31783677
I meant black powder and cap and ball in general mate.
>>
How possible is double loading a BP revolver chamber ON PURPOSE to fire 2 (or more) bullets per "shot."
>>
File: image.jpg (193KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193KB, 960x720px
>>31780630
LeMats are worth $700. Don't be a retard.
>>
>>31780741
I've got a Griswold manufactured in 1965 by Pietta. Excellent little piece.
>>
Pedersoli 1858 Remington pattern is my recommendation. Its tuned for competitive shooting and you can swap cylinders about as fast as using a speed loader on a swingout cylinder.

You can target shoot and hunt with it, and you can buy a few extra cylinders so you don't have to spend so much time going back and forth at the range every six shots.
>>
>>31783814
What, you mean like 2 balls in one chamber?

If the balls would be significatly smaller than the guns caliber, it would probably only fuck up the rifling, maybe dent the barrel or even explode.

If they wouldn't be significatly smaller, the barrel is definetly going to explode and fuck your face up instead.

It's just like with modern firearms.
>>
>>31780630
>Convince me not to buy a fucking $900 Pietta LeMat.
Don't own it but shot it a few times.

It's not really worth it if you ask me. They are fun for a while but the novelty quickly wears off and they are pretty shitty guns otherwise.

Big, unwieldy, the loading lever assemnly tends to fly off or just break altogether when you look at it wrong, not terribly accurate. Typical officer gun- it's good as long as it's only purpose is to sit in the holster.

But whatever floats your boat.
>>
A BP thread with no Bat Guano?
Truly the Third Age of /k/ is ended.
I will diminish and go into Opchan and remain Anonymous.
>>
>>31784897
Anyone can get potassium nitrate out of guano, it's basic shit.

Come back when you make it out of your own piss.
>>
>>31783655
>Would anyone on here CC one of these?
I do occasionally, but it's only because I'm yuropoor and I don't want my modern firearms taken away if I ever defend myself with them.

Black powder non-cartridge firearms designed before 1880 are don't require any licenses or registration over here, so you oculd say they are "ghost guns".

I wouldn't reccomend carrying them if you are able to get any modern handgun instead. Even the shittiest used Hi point would be better.

There is a lot of issues when it comes to carrying BP guns:

1. Size- they are big, even the smaller ones with cut barrels will be slightly bigger than modern full-size handguns.

>inb4 pocket BP revolvers
They are shit. BP revolvers chambered in .31 are so weak they would proably have trouble with penetrating a thick coat. Definetly not something you want to defend yourself with. You need to go with .36 at the very least.

2. Safety- modern handguns are designed and produced to prevent accidental discharges, to be drop safe etc.

Black powder revolvers aren't. Triggers tend to be very light, I wouldn't risk dropping one when it's ready to shoot. I would reccomend carrying with one empty chamber.

>inb4 1858 have safety notches you can rest the hammer on
They are pretty shallow and the hammer can get way easily. I wouldn't reccomend using them but it's possible and I know people who do that.

3. Reliablity- this is a big one. BP revolver are nowhere near as relaible as modern handguns, especially if you are not using cartridge conversions.

There is a lot that can go wrong in BP guns. Most of the time it's caps that fail to ignite the powder. Buy high quality caps and lacquer them when they are on the gun, nail polish will do.

Powder can get wet if the chamber is not sealed tight, if you live in a place with high humidity or if the water is wet (rain etc.)

cont.
>>
>>31784971
Best way to prevent that is to load the gun with oversized balls (.454 in .44 for example) for a good seal and unload it on the range every week or so.

Even if you do all of that, it's still not going to be as reliable as modern stuff.

Cartridge conversions help a lot, too.

So all in all, it's a fuck ton of commitment for subpar performance. But hey, if you can't get a modern handgun, a shitty gun beats no gun everday. People used to kill each other with those and it's still as deadly as it used to be.

Just keep in mind that if your country laws don't allow you to defend yourself with modern firearms, you will probably get in troublw if you defend yourself with BP. But it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Just be smart about it.
>>
>>31784971
>or if the water is wet
kek

weather*
>>
>>31784867
That's not how modern, or even bp fireams work; you fucking faggot.
>>
>>31780630
If you want to be classy, get a 1851 navy, otherwise a 1858 remington.
>>
>>31785517
Tell us how it works then.

Or even better, load 2 balls in one chamber, shoot and post results.
>>
File: IMG_0467.jpg (38KB, 391x495px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0467.jpg
38KB, 391x495px
>>31783655
>Cullen Bohannon
>Not a Griswold & Gunnison
>>
>>31780630
The Navy is probably the cheapest option but also the simplest so you can get the basics down before buying something else.
>>
>>31785810
All BP guns are very simple. It's not rocket surgery.
>>
Could you quickly load the Colt Walker revolver wirh a spare loaded cylinder or not?

What Large caliber bp revolvers could?
>>
>>31786413
>Could you quickly load the Colt Walker revolver wirh a spare loaded cylinder or not?
No, all colts need to be partially disassembled before you can get to the cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwc9bYhk24

>What Large caliber bp revolvers could?
Remington 1858 in .44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kqEgijuCu4
>>
>>31783567
Bump for this. My old man has a nice bp rifle with a set trigger but i dont remembet eho made it or what its styled after. I want to say cva but im not sure.
>>
>>31784263

Nigger they're $900-1050 anywhere on the internet.
>>
>>31783567
You'll want to check out Dixie gun works. They have examples that are original and reproduction, good and bad quality. Most people dive into black powder rifles with the hawken type rifle offered in percussion and flintlock. There's also your typical Kentucky, and Pennsylvania rifles. And the military reproduction rifled muskets. For a beginner you can't go wrong with any of these.
>>
>>31783106
Yeah it's true pyrodex doesn't ignite correctly.
>>
>>31783427
I've handled those guns side by side with pedersoli and Japanese made models and they are no where near as well made. That being said new pedersoli guns aren't worth what they sell for.

Also because the touch hole isn't drilled out they "aren't guns" so none of the barrels are actually proofed or tested for firing.
>>
>>31787862
>That being said new pedersoli guns aren't worth what they sell for.
It deepnds what you want to use those guns for. They are definetly worth it if you are into black powder competition.

Not worth it if it's just for plinking.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.