[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever pay extra for a brand?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

File: The Jack.jpg (299KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
The Jack.jpg
299KB, 1200x800px
How often do you find yourself tempted, or actually going through with, paying extra money for a brand or aesthetic that serves no purpose?

Pic related... It's a lower, which of course means you're just paying for the roll mark for the most part. So I'm faced with the dilemma of buying The Jack from Spikes, or I could just buy 3 PSA lowers (or any of the other normal lowers from Spikes). From a practical standpoint, I also like to grip the magwell, and I'm curious if this would get in the way with that at all? Anyone have experience with it?
>>
>>31777207
i wouldn't buy a lower like your pic just because once the novelty wears off, you'll see how cringe-tier it is. the resale value is also going to suffer because of that

in the end, most lowers are going to function similarly, barring any machining defects, so you are paying extra for brand engravings
>>
>>31777207
>paying extra money for a brand or aesthetic that serves no purpose?

You're describing half of the people on this board.

People like they're killing tools to look fancy.
>>
>>31777207
Anything spikes is pure cancer.
>>
>>31777293
That was another thing that gave me pause. Girlfriend also wouldn't stop chiming in my ear about how it was nigger tier flashy. I guess at the end of the day it's not going to give me +2 damage against undead or some shit either.

>>31777297
>People like they're killing tools to look fancy.
Can't tell if you're being a dick or not...
>they're
Yep, you're being a dick.
>>
>>31777207
Unless you're gonna do some super-custom, ultra-gucci, full-color AR build, just get the standard lowers. Ignoring billet for a minute (they're not as strong as forged anyway), most stripped uppers and lowers are only forged by (I think) 5 different foundries in the US regardless of "brand", so they're mostly the same anyway.
>>
>>31777207
>>31777345
Here's the forge markings:

Upper receiver forge markings:

Offset Square is: Brass Aluminum Forging
LMT is: No Forge Marks, but marked LMT or L is: LMT
AF is: Alcoa Forge
C AF is: Colt Alco Forge
A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
C MB is: Colt / Mueller Brass
Cardinal’s head (stylized bird head) is: Cardinal Forge
CH is: Colt Harvey Aluminum
Crosshairs w/"AR" is: ArmaLite
CK is: Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
CM is: Colt / Martin Marietta
D (stylized) is: Diemaco
DK is: Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
E is: Emco
EK is: EMCO/Kaiser
E MB is: EMCO/Mueller Brass
FA is: FNMI / Anchor Harvey
FK is: FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
FM is: FN/Martin Marietta
FMB is: FNMI / Mueller Brass
LK is: LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
LM is: LAR / Martin Marietta
M "diamond" is: Mueller Industries
PA is: Capco / Anchor Harvey
PM is: Capco / Martin Marietta
Square (symbol) is: Brass Aluminum

M-16 markings:

CAF Colt / Alcoa Forge
CH Colt / Harvey Aluminum (1st Colt Forgings)
CM Colt / Martin Marietta
DK Diemaco / Kaiser
FK, FS, BK, DK, EK, FK, AF, CW, AA, FS Bushmaster
LK FN / Kaiser
LM LAR / Martin Marietta (Army Spares Contract)
“Splintered A” F: FNMI Anchor Harvey“Splintered A” F: FNMI Anchor Harvey
“Splintered A” C: Colt Anchor Harvey
Splintered A Olympic Arms? (Anchor Harvey)

My list of verified upper receiver forge markings used by AR-15 upper manufactuers/sellers

DSA - Cardinal forge
Rock River - Cardinal forge
Delton - Cerro forge, square
DPMS - Cerro
Spikes Tactical - Cerro
Stag - Cardinal, Cerro
LWRC- splintered A
Para USA - ZM
Knight’s Armament - Cerro (keyhole)
Wilson Combat - splintered A
Double Star - Cerro
Smith &Wesson - Cerro
Daniel Defense - Cerro
Sabre Defense - Cerro?
Remington - Cerro
BCM - Cerro, square
Bushmaster - Cerro
Stag - splintered A, Cardinal
J&T Distributing (Doublestar) - Cerro, C
CMMG - Cerro
Colt M4 - Cerro (C keyhole), square, Cardinal (“C“ bird‘s head), C AF
>>
File: ¥rand~06.jpg (41KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
¥rand~06.jpg
41KB, 620x465px
>>31777207
I'm a poorfag so I don't really get the choice
Would I like a Browning Hi Power?
Of course I would but I had to settle for a Hungarian
Would I like a Sig?
Of course I would but I had to settle for a Rex Zero 1
Would I like a Walther P88?
Of course I would but I had to settle for a Bersa
It used to depress me but I try to take an optimist point of view and say well at least I can get 4 new guns instead of 1
>>
>>31777359
Hey, thanks man. That's actually super helpful.
>>
>>31777207
Spike's is literally Faggotry: The Brand. Just get a PSA or something.
>>
File: feels~06.png (199KB, 1200x1332px) Image search: [Google]
feels~06.png
199KB, 1200x1332px
>>31777334
That's I nice girlfriend you have their
All mine cheated on me
>>
What do you need 3 lowers for?
If you were going to get just one, I wouldn't get the novelty one probably. That would be more of a "I want another one, might as well make this one look cool".
>>
>>31777404
I'm trying to be (I'm the same as the two anonymous postings too, just didn't use my trip). Usually you get a shitload of people in these threads shilling for their brand of choice, when it's usually the same damn crap that they're arguing against.

Take a look at those brands and which forge makes theirs. See how many Cerro square and Cerro keyhole there are? That's proof that makes Daniel Defense so "good" is the same thing that makes PSA or Anderson "shitty".

Don't buy into the brand crap. If there's a rollmark you like more, go for it, but know that as long as it's forged 7075-T6 that it's really all the same.
>>
Uhhh I have this lower coming in tomorrow...no joke
>>
>>31777442
I worded that poorly, and am day drunk. I mostly meant it as a comparative statement. Although I could always sell them after AWB 2.0 hits.
>I don't actually believe that will happen

>>31777413
I see it so much all over the fucking place I assumed it was some kind of gold standard. And I get that it's ostensibly the same as having a Nike swoosh on your shoes.

>>31777478
Money isn't really a giant issue, but I also have a hard time justifying a difference in 200 dollars for something that's totally aesthetic. So that's awesome info to have. Thanks again.

>The iron cross on a Noveske lower will make Jews burst into flames when I shoot them though right?
>>
>>31777334
>Girlfriend also wouldn't stop chiming in my ear about how it was nigger tier flashy.

She's dead on. It's as cringey as neon green biohazard signs or rhinestone caps.
>>
>>31777207
What sort of colossal faggot would buy that?
>>
Anyone who have ever bought anything from this brand certainly has.
>>
>>31777602

>>31777508
>>
>>31777629
Kek
>>
>>31777207
That skull lower really stuck in my mind when I saw it. DESU it will be cringey not long from now but guns last and last so eventually it will be really special because it's a unique design from our era. Embrace the stylishness. Go for it.
>>
File: DSC_3518.jpg (331KB, 1470x972px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3518.jpg
331KB, 1470x972px
>>31777602

I don't think you fully appreciate how shit a taste some people have.
>>
only poorfags bitch about this lower because

A) Its expensive
B) It looks even better with a custom paintjob, also expensive
>>
>>31777690
Oh fuck do I hate this. For a lot of reasons. The largest of which is, the art is so fucking bad. Like, really bad. The whole zombie culture (cringing at my own use of that term) within the world of guns was cute for about a minute, but this shit needs to die.
>>
>>31777716
>this shit needs to die
these people need to die
>>
>>31777716
Let's be honest for a second.
I'm gonna say what everyone on /k/ thinks but refuses to actually say
The worst kinds of people are gun owners.
Gun owners are cringey, stupid, and Jewish in a lot of aspects
There I said it
>>
File: 1456028977795.jpg (334KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1456028977795.jpg
334KB, 1800x1200px
>>31777690
>>31777716
you mean you guys don't like Zombie guns?!?
>>
>>31777716
I like those Hornady critical defense zombie edition that have the green insert instead of the red, literally because I think the green looks good. But I'll be fucked if I don't think everything else is cringey and pants on head retarded.
>>
>>31777787
Hillary pls.
>>
>>31777796
>Rear view mirror
>>
>>31777796
>Actually trying to make it look like there's blood on your gun.

Nigger how stupid are you?
>>
I paid slightly more for my Aero and Mega forged lowers than I did for my Spikes forged lower (pre-engraving at least). Both of them are nicer than the Spikes, since both include nylon tension screws to minimize play with the upper and have more flared magwells than the Spikes. The Mega also has some nice texturing on the front of the magwell that gives it some character; I think Seekins Precision does something similar.

That's special snowflake enough for me, imo, and each lower was only a hair over $100 anyway.
>>
>>31777796
If I could buy this from an idiot for $500 then I would just turn it around and sell it to some 18 year old as his first rifle for $2000

Generally when you are younger you buy stupid looking shit to make it "look cool" and after that one of two things happens.

1. You buy normal looking shit that works because you start to realize that "looking cool" and "functioning well" aren't always mutually exclusive

or

2. You continue to buy shit like this except you move into mall ninja territory and all the "ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM" shit gets stickered to the back window of your shitty bright red ford fiesta and you continue to be a colossal faggot for the rest of your life.
>>
>>31777787
You're not wrong. There's definitely a sub set of gun owners that are just total degenerate cringey mother fuckers. We also (or I do at least) have a knee jerk reaction to defend them from antis, rather than do the Fudd thing of "Well what they have is unnecessary, but mine is okay." And frankly, fuck them for putting us in that position by simply being embarrassing.
>>
>>31777809
You know it's true.
Every time you try to sell a gun and someone offers you $2000 in stolen scuba gear
Or when you try to buy a pink revolver from a guy for mother's day and waited until the last minute because you're a shitty son and the guy is trying to get more out of it than what he paid for it and every fair offer you give him he retorts with a callous "you're lowballing me"
>>
>>31777595
>I see it so much all over the fucking place I assumed it was some kind of gold standard. And I get that it's ostensibly the same as having a Nike swoosh on your shoes.
They're basically Alienware for AR-15's. They sell stupid expensive shit to edgy teenagers who don't know better, and then justify their retarded pricing by dressing their product up in stupid "badass" styling.
>>
>>31777913
Okay, I'm going to out myself as a newer lurker of the board here, what is the scuba gear thing a reference to?
>>
>>31777920
In all fairness, they do make a pretty reasonably priced complete upper receiver, even if the majority of their powers are cringey as fuck.
>>
>>31777810
Oh my fuck, I didn't even bother clicking the thumb until I saw this. I started howling when I saw it.

>>31777796
This is a joke right? It can't be serious? Also... what is head of the grip/bipod. Is that a fucking sheathed knife?
>>
>>31777777
>>
>>31777207
Unless you're trying to build an AR that looks straight out of Warhammer, what's the point of that lower?
>>
File: Skinwalker.jpg (33KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
Skinwalker.jpg
33KB, 650x366px
>>31778105
Extra damage to spoops?
>>
File: V86EMf.gif (19KB, 493x500px) Image search: [Google]
V86EMf.gif
19KB, 493x500px
I literally only buy Magpul furniture/mags. I do this because I'm too lazy/scared to try anything else out, but I play it off like everything else is shit.
>>
File: 1477249077576.gif (2MB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1477249077576.gif
2MB, 500x390px
>>31777615
Haha
>>
>>31777787
The other people are easily the worst aspect of this hobby.
>>
>>31778256
That's a pretty brave admission. I do feel like for the most part with Magpul, you're at least getting a good product though. Even if you could be getting something similar from somewhere else.
>>
Maybe
>>
>>31778059
What's your bottom dollar?
>>
File: DSCN0020.jpg (102KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0020.jpg
102KB, 1024x768px
Posting this to fuel the zombie hate.

And further drive OP away from anything Spikes.
>>
>>31778318
Yeah... I just received a pair of those... No idea if they're worth it, but they were sexy.
>>
>>31778076
>Is that a fucking sheathed knife?

Yes.
>>
File: F1STLS022A.jpg (73KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
F1STLS022A.jpg
73KB, 800x520px
>>31778358
>spikes pandering to leddit memesters

What else is new?
They only need some kind of W40k lower to complete the autism collection.
>>
>>31778318
Well, it looks great. How much you pay?

>>31778358
>Logo on the buffer tube

Kill me.
>>
>>31777207
>paying extra money for a brand or aesthetic that serves no purpose?

Fear of doing this is why I still have not purchased a 1911.
>>
File: IMG_0385.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0385.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
yes, I do
>>
All the Spikes hate in here... I feel like I see a shit ton of people who post their AR's have Spikes lowers. What is that about?
>>
>>31777314
You wot? Aside from a few random edgy products like OP's pic they have some of the highest quality prebuilt ARs you can buy.
>>
Should I get a mega maten ar10 upper lower set? Is there aomething just as versatile and nice but cheaper?
>>
>>31778623
>Everyone here is a self loathing piece of shit in a constant state of reconciling their poor choices. Chiefly, being here.
>>
>>31777359
Weird, my delton upper has a splintered A anchor harvey mark on it
>>
>>31777293
You know, not everybody is so poor that they constantly have to sell their precious belongings to get by
>>
>>31778503
I'm ashamed for wanting that
>>
>>31777207
I'm paying 1100 bucks for an AR because it's made in Texas.

Sometimes Texas pride hurts my wallet more than my social status.
>>
>>31778943
Don't be.
I want it, too.

Might be my first Full-Retard firearm if I can save the cash.
>>
>>31778561
It's on the buffer itself, not the tube. Spike's makes a "special" buffer called the ST-T2 that uses a powdered tungsten filler instead of the standard stack of weights and falls between H1 and H2 buffers in total weight. Keeps the "rattle" down when the gun recoils.

Spike's makes a lot of cringy shit but the ST-T2 is actually pretty nice. I might throw one in my next build if I don't do a VLTOR A5 setup.
>>
>>31777797
The story behind those Zombie rounds as told to me during a Hornady training was funny as fuck.
>>
>>31780032
Story time?
>>
>>31780032
You can't say that then not tell us you fucking dick
>>
>>31778321
Whenever someone opens with this I tell them straight up the price I listed is the bottom dollar. If you're going to haggle, at least try not to insult me with something that ridiculous.
>>
>>31777595
>I worded that poorly, and am day drunk. I mostly meant it as a comparative statement. Although I could always sell them after AWB 2.0 hits.
>>I don't actually believe that will happen
I don't know if a AWB is off the table, it's happened before. If you're just talking comparative prices I would go with the cheaper more traditional looking one and spend the difference on other parts so you don't get stuck with a fancy looking lower blow your wad on the FCG/bolt and then realize you still need to get an upper. Then once it's all assembled decide if you wanna replace something with a fancier thing like buffer tube/spring so it's quieter, front rail, optic, ect. Then go for the fancy receiver if you end up liking it but want something more fancy looking.
>>
>>31778857
projection much?
people like to update/upgrade their equipment every once in awhile
no sense in hanging on to baby's first AR when you're starting a $3K gucci build
>>
>>31780621
like in all honesty I really love ar15's/m16's/m4's but I would build the entire rifle around the barrel length and twist rate. You can swap out barrels and stuff but if I had the money and space for it I'd just buy a new AR and have it set up for a specific length/twist and bullet instead of dicking around swapping parts out and rezeroing it and stuff I'd rather just have to ready to go and optimized for a specific build of bullet and only change around optics for the most part. That's just my opinion though.
>>
>>31777207
Wow, that's a really cool lower.

But I'm an MD, I love human anatomy.
>>
>>31779139
Wait, that's capable of burst/full auto? How? Wouldn't you have to register that with the ATF, and isn't the MG registry closed?
>>
Since this kind of turned into a thread about lowers I guess I'll just ask here. Are there any recommendations for well priced, non-shit lowers? BCM always seems to be out of stock, and I'm aware of Midway, CTD, CFS.
>>
>>31780859

Milspec, 7075 forged. As long as it has that, it's probably gtg.
>>
>>31780859
RGuns might be worth checking out. They tend to have pretty good prices, however, they have some pretty shitty roll marks if I remember.
>>
>>31780859
Anderson. Cheapest in-spec lower out there.
>>
>>31779139
>>31780791
It has full giggle markings, but the rifle is incapable of firing without getting/making quite a few parts, which is a federal offense. Serious, stop being dumb as hell.
>>
>>31780859
Listen to >>31780882

You didn't list it, so not sure if you check there or not, but Palmetto state armory is alright. They sometimes have the same stocking issues as BCM though. Also, don't listen to whatever bullshit you hear about bad quality, as has been discussed throughout the thread, you're paying for roll marks for the most part.
>>
>>31780772
>acts like swapping uppers isn't a thing
Seriously, you can build multple uppers for a single lower, as long as you don't build an SBR upper for a rifle lower.

>>31781045
> you're paying for roll marks for the most part
Fucking exactly. Just get the rollmark you want for the lowest amount you're willing to pay, but don't fucking cheap out and buy a no-name lower that's made of "T6 Aluminum".
>>
>>31780982
Honest question about Anderson since I have no experience with them. Is that whole, "YOU NEVER NEED LUBE" thing true? I mean, even if it was, it seems like it would always operate better oiled.
>>
>>31781102
Just oil contact points. The idiots who say ARs have to be run wet are fudds, but you should always at least oil contact points on every firearm.

The "YOU NEVER NEED LUBE" thing is just Anderson's way of saying that the aluminum is treated with RF85 (atomized calcium) so coefficient of friction is significantly lower on all their parts. Accordingly, this won't apply to a non-Anderson upper on an Anderson lower (should be fucking obvious why), where 95% of the wear actually takes place. Components in a lower need very sparse lubrication.
>>
>>31778256
Magpul isn't that bad. Personally I like their Shotgun furniture and there mags are sold everywhere and frequently go on sale. Some people might scoff at you in the range but fuck them.
>>
>>31781218
I agree. I don't know >>31778256 you don't really have much of a problem on your hand. I'd be hard pressed to think of other choices I'd go for in that price range and feel like I got much better of a deal.
>>
>>31780982
>>31781102
>>31781169
I just bought one. LGS had hundreds of them. Couldnt resist the price. Less than $60 for a 7075 T6 forged lower with integrated trigger guard
>>
>>31777207

I just bought a 1911 that I selected for its looks. However, I don't pay extra for a certain brand. I specifically avoided getting a Colt 1911 because I didn't want to pay $200 extra for a horse stamp.
>>
File: don't give a shit.jpg (424KB, 2000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
don't give a shit.jpg
424KB, 2000x1334px
with all the spike hate, is this cringey?
>>
>>31782026
Not as much as the fucking spider. But seriously, you're not building a real honey badger so why get that lower?
>>
>>31782026
I didnt know they made a honey badger lower
I want it, it's cringy, dont give a fuck, I want it.
>>
>>31782026

I got one, no ragrets
>>
>>31780621
>I don't know if a AWB is off the table
I'm in the same boat, and it's talking to ordinary people that makes me believe this. Was talking to my mother not long ago about how ass stupid AWB was, and how "Assault weapon" is a made up term. I use my shotgun as an example.
>Do you think that shotgun I own is an assault weapon?
>No
>Well it actually would be classified as one.
>Why?
>Heatshield, collapsible stock, bayonet lug.
>That doesn't make sense though?
>Yes, I know.

A few weeks later, this comes up again.
>AWB potentially happening in Washington state.
>Me- Would you actually vote for that if you had the option?
>Her- Yes, I probably would.
> Fucking why?...
> People don't need to have those kinds of weapons.
> You know that less than 2% of violent crimes involve guns that would be banned right?
> Well, then it won't really affect what guns you can own right?

...Nigger... what? What does that even mean?
>>
>>31782026
Typical Spikes hater reporting in.

>I don't hate this.
>>
>>31782048
Probably easier than sending my lower off to be engraved with "don't give a shit" near the safety
>>
>>31777207
I have 100% overpaid for knives because they looked tacticool, and I fag out for that shit.
>>
>>31777796
the longer i look at it the worse it gets.
>off set irons... painted green
>heavy ass scope
>bypod/vfg
>mirror
>flashlight
>knife
>bumpfire stock
>drum mag.
>that fucking paint job.
why
>>
>>31782026
only slightly
>>
>>31781093
>Seriously, you can build multple uppers for a single lower, as long as you don't build an SBR upper for a rifle lower.
Like I said before, if I could afford it why would I wanna swap shit around instead of having it ready to go whenever I want to use it in a particular way?
>>31782179
Well sometimes people I know have made pretty good arguments about it in a way, like a lot of people are practically pacifists and violence really isn't an option in their opinion until really confronted by a situation that changes there opinion that sometimes you might have to get your hands dirty. It's a little heart breaking to have to tell that to some people so I really don't. I don't really know any other way to explain it to them because it'd be pretty easy to come off as malicious saying that sort of thing.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.