[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What wrong with double stack 1911's why aren't there more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: double stack 1911.jpg (48KB, 638x425px) Image search: [Google]
double stack 1911.jpg
48KB, 638x425px
If this corrects the major flaw with 1911's why isn't it more common? It can't change the manual of arms too much can it?

these things shouldn't that uncommon with the amount of modern manufacturers wouldn' this be the obvious choice in 1911's and it can't be a much higher cost to the manufacturers to produce.

Have there been reliability issues or is it super heavy or something, I don't see why double stacks are unusual while single stacks are mass produced instead of the other way around in terms of modern production.
>>
purists
>>
>>31773434
just that? seems a bit off that a superior iteration isn't adopted without reason. It's a full size handgun shouldn't you want a full size magazine?
>>
costing a lot
i feel like they've been cornered into being "gamer guns" and the single stack is the "true" 1911
>>
>>31773449
A double stack 1911 in something smaller than .45acp is seen as bitch nigga shit, or being cornered into light loads and higher capacity for people competing in certain classes. Either way they don't sell well.
>>
double stack 1911s are too thicc for a lot of people kind of like if you were trying to fit a fat chick into a single airplane seat: wasn't meant for it
>>
>>31773425

While the reasons already provided are good,
I think the main reason is that people who like the 1911 (like myself) don't really care about capacity.
And those who don't like it, aren't going to buy one just because it has more capacity.
>>
>>31773425
> making the fat 1911 even fatter
>>
>>31773475
she's just big framed!
>>
File: 1451544532321.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1451544532321.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Small hijack:
Does the grip thickness of a 2011 9x19 actually differ from a .45ACP? Or do they use the same grip frame?
>>
>>31773475

Single stack 1911s are actually pretty thin.
>>
>>31773506
it's mainly the grips that make it fat
i just got some new wood ones so i took off the old ones and held it sans grips
kind of want to shoot it like that now
>>
File: IMG_20161023_033834.jpg (2MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161023_033834.jpg
2MB, 4000x2992px
>>31773500
Does it feel too thick to you? That's all that matters.
>>
my question is why didnt they ever make a sa/da double stack 1911, or have they and i've just never seen one?
>>
The slim profile of the 1911is one of the few noteworthy features of an otherwise obsolete gun. Double-stacking it ruins this.
>>
>>31773539
Someone probably has, but you might as well get something else at that point
>>
>>31773539
para might have made one but para died
>>
File: HK-USP-Mk23.jpg (689KB, 1280x605px)
HK-USP-Mk23.jpg
689KB, 1280x605px
>>31773529
>Does it feel too thick to you? That's all that matters.

Never shot one. It's hard to judge by only holding one. It's just not the same as shooting it.

I own an X-Five which is pretty thick (and works great for static target shooting), but I think the 2011 is even thicker.
That said, I did shoot a Mk23 once, and that went fine. Hell, it shot extremely well. Too bad it's low capacity for its size.
>>
>>31773560
Rent one and shoot it. Best way to find out if you like the way something shoots.
>>
>>31773462
.38 super

s
u
p
e
r
>>
>>31773567
.38 super is cool and all but pretty much limited to competition. Doesn't sell well, even if it's good as fuck.
>>
>>31773575

It's expensive to shoot (due to limited production), so you need to reload for it.
>>
>>31773539
If you want a 1911 style without 1911 features like the grip safety, you should look around the copies like Star. Not sure if someone made a SA/DA, but I think someone did make a DAO 1911.
>>
>>31773425
Thats gay, there are any number of double stack 45s around if that's what you are looking for, only a real pole smoker would want a double stack 1911
>>
>>31773500
no they use the same frames
as well as outer magazine width
>>
1911's are outdated
>>
>>31773761
okay Gaston
we get it
>>
>>31773462
>t. C. Noir
>>
>>31773850
Meant for >>31773465
>>
>>31773425
The only two I've ever shot were both made by Springfield. Neither could go through a full magazine. Might have just been those two.

>>31773539
Or just buy the squishy gun.
>>
>>31773425

I have a Para Ordnance Big Hawg.

Full size aluminum alloy .45 doublestack 1911 that weighs 28oz empty..

It was shit. Para had just moved their factory from Canada to the US but none of the Canucks moved there. So all the early guns out of the US factory were shit.

After back and forth, sending it off to get night sights and refinishing worth twice as much as the gun itself... It's reliable, but it shoots too low which is probably the fault of the new frame they installed rather than replacing the entire pistol.

Not too broken up about them being shut down, but sad that the new polymer pistols all have terrible triggers in comparison.
>>
>>31773425

1911's have 3 things going for it that keep them relevant IMO

They are sexy slim. this lets you carry a full size pistol (with a full length sight radius) while still being nice and thin. they're actually very comfortable for CC, contrary to popular belief.

They have that beautiful single action trigger. having such a light, consistent trigger really does make it easier to score hits on target. I'm not saying that striker triggers are "bad", but they'res nothing like the single action of a good revolver or a well made 1911.

sight radius. this is something often overlooked by most gun owners. with the majority of "full size" pistols haveing 4 1/2 inch barrels, the full 5" of the "government model" 1911 gives extra sight radius.... but it's not just the barrel. The pistol's design really maximizes the distance between front and back sights, giving you a nice 6 1/2" sight radius. other pistols like the Glock 17 also have a 6 1/2" radius, but the majority of "combat" or "carry" guns have much less. longer sight radius works better with your eyes and allows for better sight pictures, thanks to how depth perception works.

Adding a double stack magazine eliminates the "slim" feel of the weapon and adds extra weight to an already heft handgun. Sure, you'll still have the sight radius and sweet trigger, but it's become so fat in the grip that you might as well just carry a 17 and call it a day.

this is why most 1911 guys don't like a double stack, and why they don't really sell in huge numbers. that's what makes them expensive.

>single stack 1911 in 10mm FTW
>>
>>31773539
Oh those exist in various forms and there isn't a single one of them that should. There is literally nothing wrong with SAO
>>
>>31773946
Not everyone wants to CC a 1911.
Its the quality of the magazines by and large that keeps them from catching on. Even high end models like an SVi need the magazines "tuned" to the gun. Unless you want to spend $200 on a pretuned magazine.

http://www.1911store.com/super-tunedmagazinewithgramsordawsonbasepad.aspx
>>
>>31773434
/Thread

Double stack 1911 is like fucking a girl a three titties. It sounds awesome on paper but you know she's deformed and not right.
>>
>>31773425

I've asked that same question. I say just give it time. The only affordable double stacks I've seen are made by Para and RIA, which aren't that well known compared to other brands, and they rarely show up in stores. If someone like Springfield made one for under $1000 I could see double stack 1911s getting popular

Then there's the problem of the pistol being a niche product. The guys who care about capacity probably aren't looking at anything on the 1911 platform. And the people who want a 1911 probably don't care about increased capacity.

I recently decided against getting a double stack 1911. I want a 1911 and I'm worried the double stack will be too much of a departure and it won't properly satisfy my craving for a 1911. And I've already got double stack pistols in .45 and 9mm. But I would really love to have one in the future. Surprisingly, they barely feel different than a single stack 1911. You can feel the back and front strap are fatter, but the overall grip doesn't feel bulky, like a Glock 21.
>>
>>31773434
I am going to get one to replace my traditional 1911 carry gun. 14 rounds of .45 acp....aint no nigger surviving that
>>
>>31774706
any reason you are getting that as opposed to an FNX or USP?
>>
>>31774614

Para used to be everywhere in the late 80s 90s. They aren't very reliable and then people discovered 9mm.
>>
>>31773425
>>31773434

basically that. I'm not sure if there are any lower tier options for double stack 1911s, but do note that the mags are hideously expensive, as well as some other parts. It comes with all the work that you'd have to do on a standard 1911 as far as fitting and tuning goes, then add the difficulty and frustration of only a few manufacturers making parts for the 2011 platform in the first place. Plus for the price of a good one, I bet there's other options that would be more attractive to people, like an FNX-45 or a full size HK.

Still, I want to build one just for fun someday.
>>
>>31776268
I live in South Africa.... Hard to find and expensive af. Norinco np44 is solid enough and cheap for me.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.