[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forget the Mosin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Forget the Mosin Nagant. Should the Savage Axis XP .308 be the go-to cheap rifle?

>Mosins now $250+
>surplus 54R getting more expensive and hard to find
>.308 much easier to find
>Savage comes with optic

Well /k/?
>>
>>31767717
no
>>
>>31767717
Yes. The days of cheap milsurp are behind us, lamentably.
>>
>>31767717
Yes
>>
File: based mel.jpg (33KB, 469x595px) Image search: [Google]
based mel.jpg
33KB, 469x595px
>>31767760

The only LGS near me that has 7.62x54R is a big sporting goods store.

>They charge $28 for a box of 20
>>
>>31767935
Better can be had, anon. Gunbot is your friend.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/762x54/
>>
>>31767717
Yes. Or a Stevens 200.

Milsurp is for collectors only.
>>
Mausers that don't have the nazi stamp are a pretty great option, they go for the same amount as a mosin does and they're better than mosins in every way, other than ammo
>>
>>31767717

Howa 1500 takes a cheap 10 round magazine conversiob also.
>>
Depends, how cheap are they? If the answer isn't $200 or less, no.
>>
File: 1475533578956.jpg (124KB, 736x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1475533578956.jpg
124KB, 736x1109px
>>31767717
>no iron sights
>fucking plastic
>hasn't been in pretty much every major war in last century
>can't affix bayonets
>can't use it as blunt tool of sheer indestructible build if out of ammo
>doesn't want the spirits of Cpt. Mosin, Nagant & Simo Hayha with him
>too poor to afford bulk spam cans of x54
Enjoy your recently produced capitalist cookie cutter fancy Wal-Mart gun lad
>>
Where the fuck did you find a savage axis xp for <250?
>>
>>31770944
Bulk cans of x54 are now a higher price per round than factory .30-06, and Mosins themselves are past $300. Poorfag gun no more.
>>
I love the axis. I'm waiting for /k/ to catch up. Throw a cheap vortex or Nikon 3-9 on it, and a Boyd's stock for aesthetics and it's a badass rifle for cheap.
Aftermarket is slow for extended mag options but their is currently 2 companies that have offerings.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 256x256px
>>31768369
>>31770944
The issue I have with cheaper Milsurp is the calibers. 223/308 is where it's at cost wise. Once you buy a new barrel and pay a gunsmith you just bubba'd your milsurp and added 200.00 bucks to the actually cost.
>>
>>31767717
>Savage comes with optic
A cheap optic is a poor substitute for iron sights when it comes to durability. I'd rather take irons over a cheap scope that can break or lose zero if dropped.

Fuck I hate what's happened to guns now days. Can we go back to when milsurp guns were cheap and plentiful, .22lr was cheap and plentiful, and AR-15s were expensive enough to not be the answer to almost everyone's question of what gun to get?
>>
>>31767717
based on top search results across a variety of websites, as well as looking at the local equivlant of craigslist for exclusively guns (armslist), all the rifles were anywhere between 50-200+ dollars more than a mosin. Looking exclusively at armslist, I could buy the mosin for 260, and the Savage for 349. Nyet. Mosin is still poorfag viable/preferable.
>>
The axis has a superior barrel resulting in significantly increased accuracy. The axis is also far lighter making it a much more practical hunting weapon.

You're basically paying big money for a shitty used rifle with a mosin.
>>
How much are Americans paying for 54r? Up here in Canada land it can be got for 40 cents a round.
>>
I am contemplating putting my last can of 54r in a display case to commemorate all the fun I had and will never have again.
I am seriously considering doing it.
>>
>>31772841
That's about what my reloads cost.
>>
>>31772877

So is that a lot? Is 40 cents per 54r a lot?
>>
>>31772575
My problem is that its too light. Don't want that much recoil on a gun. Its ok for a hunting rifle since you walk more than you shoot.
>>
>>31772906
It's relative. Compared to 8 years ago, yeah it's insane. I bought spam cans for $35 each. But compared to other similar calibers? It's cheap. Hell, even compared to what we Americans pay now it's cheaper I think.
>>
>>31771584
In a just world the market would be flooded with m16A1s-A4s for pennies on the dollar compared to even the cheapest PSA poorfags build. The AR15 was designed in the 1950's
>>
>>31772906
pre obama surplus was under 20 cents a round
right now its 55-70 for new production ammo
>>
>>31772864
I have an unopened spam can I might do the same with. Have never shot a surplus find through my nuggets. I could always get noncorrosive white box for ~$10 per 20 rounds
>>
>>31772937
Wat. A quick check online shows $.45 a round before shipping.
>>
I need a rifle before the happening happens. I'm poor so what are my options?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.