[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minie Ball

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Minie_Balls[1].jpg (195KB, 629x475px) Image search: [Google]
Minie_Balls[1].jpg
195KB, 629x475px
go back in time and introduce the minie ball(min-yay) to American Continental Army. How much does this change the Revolutionary War?
>>
>>31766785
About tree fiddy
>>
>>31766785

Very little.

A conical bullet isn't enough, it needs to be fired from a rifle to really make a difference.
>>
>>31766785
Not much.

Guys with rifles get a benefit

Everyone else is still going to be using patch and ball.
>>
>>31766892
how much more time and effort would it be to rifle a barrel back then?

if every american had a rifle and minie balls. they would have an accuracy and precision advantage over the british. allowing them to start shooting further out and in more open formations.
>>
>>31766912
See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c
>>
>>31766912
Dirty powder was the problem. You couldn't field large numbers of rifles because they fouled so rapidly.
>>
>>31766785
We didn't win the American Revolution because we were the superior fighting force, although there are piles and piles of books about things we did better than the British. We won because it was economically unfeasible for the British to wage what was essentially a civil war halfway around the world while simultaneously holding off the French and everyone else who was out for their blood. It was an untenable situation they didn't really have a hope of winning.

So to answer your question, not very much. It may have changed the casualty figures somewhat for each side but that's doubtful since even back then, most people who died were killed by disease and artillery. Read a book, nigger.
>>
I'm like 75% certain they had these at least toward the end of the war.
Minneballs are what turned rifling into an effective thing since they could be rammed down and then the lead had a hole at the end of the base of the bullet like a skirt which would expand and engage the rifling.
I've honestly tried looking up what kind of speed these things would of got with black powder because there are written accounts that these things could blast through multiple people with civil war era rifled black powder muskets with a fat heavy projectile. I couldn't find any info on that sort of thing but wanted to know the difference between older firearms and modern ones effectiveness and spent quite a few hours trying to find any info I could.
>>
>>31767225
oh continental war i read civil war in OP
honestly it wouldn't of changed anything, Americans were getting their ass kicked till they regrouped at valley forge and started drilling real military menuevers and tactics developed by Baron Von Stuben.
>>
>>31767238
Now that I think about it, it probably would of hindered them more to of used minneballs.
They would of been most likely shit out of luck if it were not for supplies sent from the French for their rifles.
Better technology would of made it more difficult for logistics and supply. Harder to produce rifled muskets over smooth bore, minneballs harder to make than musket balls, ect. probably wouldn't of made any improvements to combat effectiveness at that point compared to what they were already refining while making it more difficult for logistics.
Just my opinion though.
>>
>>31767015
This is the correct answer. The war was a war of attrition. The Brits were so spread out across the world that they couldn't send enough of them here to keep the war going indefinitely. They tried to use loyalists to stave this off, but all the rebels had to do was threaten to burn their houses down with their wives and children in them and they scattered like leaves in the autumn wind.
>>
>>31767397
>lotta loyalty for a hired gun.
>if I take that powedered whig off. will you die?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.